ADVERTISEMENT

1AA West #7 East Surry (9-4) at #6 Murphy (11-2)

Who wins?

• East Surry

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • Murphy

Votes: 47 74.6%

• Total voters
The Hill has been a tough place to get a win in the playoffs . I think the Dogs experience and home field advantage wins this one

East Surry has been tested most of the season against a tough non conference schedule. They will be ready for a tough playoff game.

Reactions: ESOD
After Murphy handling its business against North Stanly I don't see this game being as close. Had Murphy to travel to ES this could have been a closer game, but playing at the Hill on Black Friday is special and very tough for visitors to overcome.

There is voodoo magic in them there Hills. Joking. The Hill is a great atmosphere and we look forward to coming up. Much respect between the two programs.

Pure talent wise North Stanly might have been the best team in the 1AA west, I dont think North had the depth of talent Murphy did but they definitely had the star power in #5, #20 and #52, thats for sure. But either way East Surry is going to bring a level of discipline and coaching that North did not have, so it will be a different type of game this Friday from what Murphy saw last week.

From what I've gathered from people in the know East Surry is somewhat similar to Cherokee, a QB who can make plays with his feet and a very good back, 'Dogs will have to play well to win but I feel confident that they will be ready to rock and roll come Friday.

Last edited:
I have a lot of respect for Murphy and the smc. In my opinion Murphy is a 10 point favorite at home and I do expect them to cover. East Surry does have a chance if they can win the turnover battle and control the clock.
Nice people in Murphy, hell in 02 when Starmount went to the hill and won everyone was nice and friendly. They even had a helicopter drying the field, that shows you the support for the program up there.
Pullin for East Surry and the Northwest 1A
35-31 Cardinals

Reactions: ESOD
I have a lot of respect for Murphy and the smc. In my opinion Murphy is a 10 point favorite at home and I do expect them to cover. East Surry does have a chance if they can win the turnover battle and control the clock.
Nice people in Murphy, hell in 02 when Starmount went to the hill and won everyone was nice and friendly. They even had a helicopter drying the field, that shows you the support for the program up there.
Pullin for East Surry and the Northwest 1A
35-31 Cardinals

Was talking to a friend last week about the helicopter drying the field out. Murphy is making their 8th straight black friday appearance.

I don't care what level you are playing 8 straight trips to the 3rd round is strong. And it could not have been 8 in small 1a as they are not small this season.

Good luck to the Dogs Friday Night.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: NC nole fan
Ignore BK he has a bad case of little man syndrome. Murphy is in that guys head running laps all the time.

Reactions: NC nole fan
i believe 4 ejections for East Surry and a slew, and i mean slew of personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties.

Was at game , thought the refs were a little over zealous with the flags. Crowd was rowdy, very physical football team from Murphy. What to me was physical football was taken by some as cheap shots etc in the stands. Whole lotta chit chat but carried a little to far by the refs , just my opinion. It waa 5 players for east ejected. Mitchell edwards, conner sheets , stephen creech, nathan vass, tanner tilley. Should be a great match up in the granite city , line play was impressive , linebackers very good lines and pursuit to the ball, but most of all physical and very disciplined. Styles make fights and its an super athletic bears squad and a very physical football team from Murphy, its the one we been looking for since tge brackets came out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Amazing performance by Murphy...I was a liitle concerned the epic battle and 5 hour road trip last week might've caused the Dogs to come out sluggish...Murphy got up 14-0 and never looked back....was quite surprised at the complete nonsense with E Surry tonight, double digit unsportsmanlike flags and 4 or 5 players ejected....uncalled for....overall Murphy answered the bell and then some against a good team

Were they all seniors that received ejections? If not are they eligible for the opening game of next year's season? Why such undisciplined behavior, East Surry? 4 or 5 individual ejections? Sounds like sour grapes and sore losers. Doesn't look good for a program with such pride.

Looked like alot of commentary to the officials by the East Surry players and also to the Murphy players . I didn't see anything dirty play wise just looked like they couldn't stop running their mouth. Alot of them came long after the play was over talking specifically to a ref.

That's crazy. That's when you know you don't have a shot to win. Then you start acting out and embarrasing your fanbase, school, and community. Take the loss and gamesmenship as if you've been there before.

absolutely no way you have that many...no way! Where did that crew come from??

Murphy finished with 540 yards of total offense. 437 yards on the ground. Both teams combined for nearly 300 yards in penalties. ES 150 Murphy 140- A lot of the unsportsmanlike penalties were offsetting.

Yes MHS88 54o yards total offense for Murphy and had a full quarter where they subbed out....oline blew E Surry dline off the ball all night...My opinion that's a 5th place team in SMC behind Murphy Cherokee Swain Robbinsville...physicaliy of the teams in different worlds

Good luck to the dogs next Friday. No comment on the game or the officiating. Looking forward to 2018 and what the Cardinals will bring to the field. Nice to meet ya mbdfan. Safe travels to Mayberry on Friday.

Go Big Red!!

Reactions: mbdfan
ESOD that 12 at QB is tough as nails...playing on bad leg looked like and stayed with it thru some big hits from Dogs....

Good luck to the dogs next Friday. No comment on the game or the officiating. Looking forward to 2018 and what the Cardinals will bring to the field. Nice to meet ya mbdfan. Safe travels to Mayberry on Friday.

Go Big Red!!
Good to meet you too ESOD, glad you guys made it back home safely. Congrats to your East Surry Cardinals on a strong season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT