11. Bessemer City vs 22 Cherryville
12. Queens Grant vs 21 Bishop McGuinness
13. Winston-Salem Prep vs 20 Chatham Central
14. North Moore vs 19 Community School of Davidson
15. Highlands vs 18 North Stanley
16. East Surry vs 17 Robbinsville

Not sure of # 27 through # 32.

This post was edited on 2/18 12:02 AM by Catawbavalleybasketball

Catawba, I am pretty sure that River Mill will end up being in the West as a 2 seed. Their 1 seed is voyager and they are too far east to flip over but I think River Mill will end up over here as maybe a 15 seed. If this happens, it will slip everyone down 1 slot from what you have. Your model is more accurate than what I had been projecting, because I still had Mitchell as a number 2 seed and that is not accurate. They ended up 4th in their conference. The only significant change that I can see is that East Surry would then be in the top bracket as a 17 rather than the 18 that I had them at and you are projecting Mt Airy to win the Northwest where I was projecting Prep. This would shake things up a bit if this happens. Based on the weather, I am not sure that any tourneys will be played in the upper corner of the state, so I am not sure how this tie will be broken, and it does make a lot of difference. Mt airy would be a 4 or 5 where prep would be a 7 if they were the champ. We will know in just a few days. If you guys sure enough get dropped down 1 then there would be a rematch of last years sectional championship at Alleghany this time

hayeseville will be 3 seed which shifts east to 4 seed, mount airy to 5 seed and Lincoln charter to 6 seed. I still think prep wins tournament though and they will be 7 seed.

Since the MVC and WHC are split conferences and only get 2 auto berths, the total of auto berths is 22 unless River Mill flips over then it would be 23. However Mitchell did not get a 2 seed because they finished 4th in their conference. That makes the autos be 21 or 22. I did notice that Nantahalla was missing also. They will qualify with an auto berth as a 3 seed out of the little smoky which would make them a 21 or 22 depending on River Mill. Based on what I think 15through 20 should back up one spot because of river mill and starting with bishop, they would back up 2 because of nantahalla.

How is South Davidson, West Montgomery, and Highland Tech ranked above teams like Rosman and North Stokes who have 12 and 11 wins?

Alleghany, here we come! Looks like there is a possibility of a rematch from last year's playoff. The Ironmen have had an up and down year. Stretches of 5 wins and then losses of 6 of 7. Finished season strong with a win over a highly underrated Thomas Jefferson team. Hope it warms up some for the long trip for the Ironmen. Not sure I will get to be there.

Nantahala will be the 2 seed out of the little smoky. Would that bump East Surry up? Im sure they have a better record.

records doesn't matter seeds matter, and east surry is a 3 seed they will still be lower than nantahala. And alleghany will be playing bishop mcguinness in the 1st round, not cherryville those brackets are way off.

These are correct.
1.) Albemarle -set
2.) Starmount -set
3.) Hayesville -set
4.)East Montgomery - set
5.)Mount Airy - could change if lose to WSP
6.)Lincoln Charter - could bump up to #5 if they change due to WSP winning game
7.)Avery - could bump up to #6 if Mount Airy, or WSP if they beat Mount Airy
8.)Hiawassee Dam -set
9.)Cherokee -set
10.)Alleghany -set
11.)Bessemer City - set
12.)Queens Grant - could bump down to 13 if Mount Airy loses to WSP
13.)7 loss 2nd place teams -River Mill, North Moore, WSP
14.)7 loss 2nd place teams -River Mill, North Moore, WSP
15.) 7 loss 2nd place teams - River Mill, North Moore, WSP
16.) Little Smokey - whoever finishes 2nd place
17.)5 loss 3rd place teams either Robbinsville or East Surry
18.)5 loss 3rd place teams either Robbinsville or East Surry
19.)Pine Lake prep vs Community of Davidson winner, or North Stanly if Community of Davidson wins and their is a draw
20.) Community School of Davidson or North Stanly (10 losses each)
21.) Chatham Central 11 loss 3rd place
22.) Little Smokey 3rd place finisher
23.) Bishop McGuinnesss (7 loss wild card)
24.) 9 loss wild card Cherryville or 8 loss pine lake prep if they lose to community of Davidson
25.) Cherryville, Community School of Davidson, North Stanly
26.) Rosman
27.) North Stokes
28.) Got tired don't care
29.) Got tired don't care
30.) Got tired don't care Swain is one of these teams.
31.) Got tired don't care
32.) Got tired don't care

Originally posted by BlackCat93:
Nantahala will be the 2 seed out of the little smoky. Would that bump East Surry up? Im sure they have a better record.
No, all 2-seeds get seeded ahead of all 3 seeds regardless of who has a better record. Looks like Nantahala will be 16 and host the top 3-seed, either East Surry or Robbinsville.

Wow, it looks like the bracket is set up for the MVC and the NWC to knock each other out all the way to the regional. I am sure other conferences are not bothered by this in the least. If East Surry ends up being 18 and Prep ends up being 7 then the following will likely happen. First round game between bishop and Alleghany. Second round games between Alleghany and Prep and then East Surry vs Starmount. The winner of those two games would then play to see who makes the regionals. I believe the 4 teams that I mentioned are 4 of the top 7 in the West along with Avery Albemarle and Mt Airy. Just strange how this bracket could end up working out. No matter what system you use this could happen, but wow. Some tracks to the regional are loaded while some tracks are void of any potentially close games. I may be partial, but I think the top of these two conferences are Easily the strongest of any conferences in the West and they have to take care of each other. If the brackets were set up differently, it would not be strange at all for 3 out of the pool of East Surry, Alleghany, Starmount, and prep to make it to the regionals. As it stands now, there would only be 1. Quite a break for others.

Good luck to all.

If Bishop is at full strength you will have a tough time getting out of the first round

This is pretty much set

1. Albemarle (22-0)
2. Starmount (19-1)
3. Hayesville (19-3)
4. East Montgomery (17-4)
5. Lincoln Charter (17-5)
6. Avery County (16-6)
7. Winston-Salem Prep (15-7)
8. Hiwassee Dam (12-10)
9. Cherokee (20-2)
10. Alleghany (19-3)
11. Bessemer City (18-4)
12. Mount Airy (17-5)

Tough break for Mt Airy having to have their seeding decided by a draw from a hat. Tough break also for the rest of us in the 2, 7 10 path because now we get to deal with prep if we are fortunate enough to get there.

mount airy should. be glad they lost draw they r practically guaranteed a ticket to regionals now.

well now they will play a scrub team 1st round 2nd round lincoln charter who i think is overrated. and 3rd round winner of east montgomery and queens grant both who my opinion arent legit. well as wsp has scrub team then alleghany 2nd round and starmount or east surry 3rd round to get to regionals that path is definately harder

Wow. Respected opinion but to say Lincoln Charter is overrated is stupid. I can tell you they aren't. Young, yes, overrated, not. Have you seen them play? And East Montgomery is a good, solid team. But to say that these teams are scrubs is a joke. Anytime a team wins 20 + games and wins conference with hardly no blemishes on it they are considered a good team. I think there is a little crying on here because your team may get a test in 2nd round. But champions will rise but there will be NO easy route to regionals. But we shall see.

Alleghany 84,

Bishop has been banged up all season. Their D2 committed big guy missed all but the last 5 games with a broken bone in his back and their D2 committed PG and leading scorer has only played a handful of games since December because of a neck injury.

This time off has been really good for Bishop though. Its given them time to get everyone healthy and/or up to speed and they should be ready to roll Tuesday. This will be just the third time all season they've had their full roster available.

I'd give Alleghany a slight edge in that game just because they've been playing together all season, but if Bishop is on their game all bets are off. Bishop has better individual talent in the spots where the Trojans are best, but teamwork and chemistry is obviously a huge factor.

This post was edited on 2/20 1:25 PM by Dave2kMA

never said they were scrubs trojan by the way who is your team is there another green trojan out there besides alleghany? east montgomery individual conference is pathetic so keep dreamin on them cats. lincoln charter is good team just think that path is easier. and ur right i am bitchin cause my team may not make it out of 1st round lol

Wow Bishop is better in the spots where Alleghany's best players are. So they have a guard that is better than Sprinkle and bigs that are better than Santos and Hash. That sounds scary as heck. I guess we will find out on Tuesday if the brackets come out like we think. Always hard to judge from video but I saw them on the floor when they supposedly had everyone out there, and I struggled to find a better guard than Sprinkle or two bigs that were in the same league as Santos and Hash. Maybe I just missed something.

See ya Tuesday maybe possibly I think.

It's not any disrespect to you guys. Sprinkle, Santos & co. are really good players also. Just having seen both, if you were playing a 3v3 game without injuries, I'd probably take Wilson, Woods & Gardner for Bishop.

Now, that said, like I mentioned before, basketball is a lot more than just individual players. The Trojans have had their whole team together all season while Bishop has been mixing and matching lineups and rotations, so team chemistry and familiarity is a HUGE edge to Alleghany.

In addition, if Wilson isn't all the way healthy, Bishop will struggle to score, so that will be another big plot point.

From what I saw on maxpreps stats Alleghanys 2 conference loses were attributed to just that in their loses to starmount. Bishop at full strength is tough.

Lincoln Charter is a very good team, but young. Playoff time usually finds young teams not playing well unless they play at home. And lets remember they won the Southern Piedmont 1A Conference. This conference will have six of the 32 teams in the playoffs. The charter schools have found how to do and will continue to improve. Lincoln Charter will be at the level of Prep within one or two years. And Pine Lake has an outstanding coach who kids want to play for in basketball. He had been very successful in New England before being brought to Pine Lake. Plus Pine Lake has a beautiful facility.

Is there another conference of seven members in which six teams make the playoffs? The teams are Lincoln Charter, Bessemer City, Community School of Davidson, Pine Lake Prep, Cherryville, and Highland Tech.

The better question is what other conference will probably not have a team left after the second round. The measure of a conference is not how many decent teams you have but how many truly good ones you have. Your conferences best chance of advancing past 2 rounds may well run into Mt Airy in round 2 and their run will likely come to an end.

Agree with Alleghany. Not saying that conference won't do well, but you can play a schedule full of weak teams and get enough wins to get in as a wild card. Again, not saying any of them played a weak schedule. Just saying in theory if you have an average team or better, you can schedule yourself a wild card slot so getting into the 1A playoffs is no great feat. Back to McGuinness at Alleghany if that were to happen, a completely different McGuinness team would have to show up for McGuinness to have a fighting chance. I am a McGuinness fan, and they may have the talent to compete with Alleghany, but at this point I don't see them coming within 15 to 20 points of the Spartans unless they have a great game or Alleghany has a really bad night.

Agreed on Bishop, Dosso.

Like I said, man for man, Bishop probably has better players, but because they haven't played together at all this season they aren't where they need to be in order to beat a talented team like Alleghany.

Well Dave the brackets are out, and on Tuesday night your talent evaluation skills will be tested. The accumulation of individual talent will be put to the test by a basketball team that rather enjoys guarding their opponent. We will know by Wednesday morning if you have a second career as a talent scout or not. In the mean time, do not quit your day job just in case you are wrong.

Just kidding of course, best of luck.

It should be a good game. If Bishop has their stuff together and everyone's healthy they can absolutely win it. If not, Alleghany will strangle the life out of them like a python.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. lol
Alleghany 84 makes some good posts! That is awesome. Alleghany kids in general from what I have seen over the years play really tough. Full strength or not I just don't see McGuinness coming away with a win, but I guess stranger things have happened. You never know in the playoffs. This is certainly a good sports year for the Spartans! Very happy for that community.

Thank you for that Dosso. We do have a particularly good group of athletes right now. From a basketball standpoint I think we will be pretty darn good for a few more years. Really good group of sophomores coming up. It is special for a small community like ours when we have successful sports programs.

Alleghany, what a draw for the first round. The Ironmen have experienced that for years, ex. first round W-S Prep when the Ironmen were 25-3. Good luck with Bishop MC. Two years in a row the beat us in the last seconds. If you had a couple of more games you could have drawn like Bessemer City. A blow-out for the Yellow Jackets.

This post was edited on 2/21 7:23 PM by Catawbavalleybasketball

Wow Bessemer City must be really good. The great thing about the playoffs is that people are forced to play teams that others know about. Bessemer City will get to prove themselves and prove me wrong in the second round if they can beat Avery. Lincoln Charter will also get a chance to prove me wrong against Mt Airy if both of them get there. I find this amazing that I am getting to have discussions on 2 threads at the same time where someone is defending a conference opponent. Like I told him you guys must get along a lot better than we do because I would never be on here defending a conference rival. In terms of the draw, it is what it is. I even saw a tweet from a sportswriter at the Winston Salem Jounal talking about how stacked that sectional is. If we can win our way out of that sectional then we will be really prepared for the regionals, if we cant then they would have probably beaten us later anyway. I just hate for us to be beating heads with one another and others doing the 2 step to Winston Salem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT