ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Champions are too Typical

I dont know much about Bishop but 3daughters are you not willing to concede that Bishop while not breaking any rules does have an advantage over traditional 1A schools? And Cp while you are quick to point out the obvious advantage that Bishop has, it is inadvertently(or maybe you mean to) taking shots at coach Robinson and the hard work he put in to build the program that has become the juggernaut that it is. He has built something that girls want to be a part of and team USA has recognized him to be one of the best at what he does. The girls work hard and when people just mention the non-boundary that they have it seems to discredit their hard work. If I were a Bishop supporter I would also take offense. To 3daughters point if a coach builds a great program in a rural 1A traditional school their will be parents of good players near by willing to do what they can to get their child in that school because thats the best place for their child to showcase their skills!! It's been going on way before the Bishop run!! And yes 3daughters people complained then at those perspective schools as well and it's not just Bishop! Cp are you willing to concede that great programs from even traditioal boundary schools tend to benefit from players outside those boundaries? It happens so lets not act like Bishop is some monster out to destroy 1A girls basketball!!

Ferg. I have been on this site for many years and for many years I have said that Bishop has an advantage, in fact almost every Bishop poster to a man has said the very same thing. This is nothing new to us. We mainly laugh at fans of traditional schools like Mt. Airy who constantly whine about the lack of level playing field when they are some of the major reasons why the playing field has never been level. Rural 1A schools or even more urban schools like East Surry have very legitimate gripes. Bishop helped draft the language that would have required to play up this year, we didn't fight it, we helped draft it!

Bishop does not recruit, it does not give scholarships, it is not an AAU Triad all-star team. Every year the list of EVERY player for the Bishop girls team, not just the current team, who has played since Brian Robinson became coach is listed on their website and where they came from. Bishop goes overboard for transparency. Coming out of the Dean dome last saturday I was behind a guy who was a fan of Riverside and who very loudly was saying to anyone who would listen that quote "Bishop has 9 AAU teams and picks the best players from those 9 AAU teams and that is why they are so good"....made for a pretty good chuckle. The misinformation about Bishop is immense.

3daughters I respect and understand your post and position. I will fully admit to not knowing much about Bishop but I do know Coach Robinson from his RJR days and I know his work ethic and basketball knowledge. And he's a man of integrity so I wouldnt dare accuse him of anything without the facts!!! And I have none!!

Originally posted by coach1530:

3 asterisk in a row and 4 total. How many do you have without any asterisk? ZERO! Any great team knows how to utilize the rules to their advantage. We haven't broken any rules. And what do you mean my type? You must mean WINNER! Typical attempt by your type, WHINER!

Coach1530, the answer to your question is 4. 4 State Championships in 1A WITHOUT any astericks. You see before consolidation in 1965, the predecessor to East Carteret was Beaufort High School. One championship in the mid 50's and then 3 straight championships from 1959-61, which included a 91 game winning streak. Feel free to look it up. AND all the boys were from Beaufort....

In fact, if you want to include the 1A Football championship in 59, I guess the answer would be 5........

Certain public schools having advantages over other public schools ASIDE, most McGuinness posters admit the playing field is not level. McGuinness was willing to go up to 2A, and then 3A if they won 2A and then 4A if they won 3A. Now this would not have affected WSP as it would not have affected magnets. But anyway, the NCHSAA Board said no. So you can keep griping at McGuinness, but if they were willing to go up in those sports in which they are or become competitive, and the NCHSAA says no, then not sure how a bunch of disgruntled 1A schools are going to get it changed. But regardless, it is fine to be upset, but not sure why so upset at McGuinness.

Now 3daughters i know you will say something about this.... I have nothing against better your childrens education at all, at all.. But when a high school charges $10,500 a year to attend a school, and their athletics are in a public system where no other school charges. It seems wrong on an athletic level. Academically it's probably a smart idea if you can afford it. I have several family member that attend HP Christian and Wesleyan. But when Bishop refers to themselves on their own website as "a non-public high school" then I think their athletics should also reflect that.

Also to everyone else who says it is implying this is a Catholic school issue it isn't. I had family in the NFL that went to a Catholic high school and to Notre Dame to play football. Every Catholic school just about is amazing in one sport, just how it is. Cardinal Gibbons is a good example of another power school in NC that has a Catholic tag. My issue is... If they won't open it up to be a public school; don't have the athletics in a public system.

all out...I'm not really sure that I understand your first paragraph. Bishop is obviously a faith based Catholic school but you don't have to be Catholic to go there and kids of all faiths are welcomed with open arms.

The Catholic Schools in NC (only 3 up to last year and now only 4) have been members in good standing of the NCHSAA for over half a century.

ut??? Trying to find my post where I have taken shots as Coach Robinson. He does a good job with what just happens to show up at his door. They are playing with a advantage and that's all there is to it. As I suggested in the other thread, maybe we build a Downeast school of the Baptist. We will build it in Williamston. 20 mins to Little Washington, 15 minutes to Plymouth, 15 minutes to Tarboro, 25 minutes to Greenville. We will accept around 75 students per grade and play 1a. Good luck!!!!!

I just don't think a school that charges for attendance, openly calls themselves a private school, should be allowed to participate with public schools in the same system.

Originally posted by All-out_34:

Also to everyone else who says it is implying this is a Catholic school issue it isn't. I had family in the NFL that went to a Catholic high school and to Notre Dame to play football. Every Catholic school just about is amazing in one sport, just how it is. Cardinal Gibbons is a good example of another power school in NC that has a Catholic tag. My issue is... If they won't open it up to be a public school; don't have the athletics in a public system.
This is totally out of context. The Parochial school systems in the north and midwest are vast and offer athletic scholarships, scholarships to children of graduates, scholarships for financial and education reasons, et al and many of the state associations allow the scholarships for athletes.

Cincinnati is a city with a comparable metro population to Charlotte. There are eight Parochial high schools in Cincinnati and one in Charlotte (with a second just becoming a full high school in northern Meck county). The Parochial schools have geographical districts set by the local diocese that are much larger than the public schools and also have exceptions based on the feeder school and / or church attended, where the parents or siblings attended, et al. The largest Parochial is St Xavier which does not have a defined district (or it did not a few years ago) as it is ran by an out of state diocese and has students from the three county metro area. With 1,600 students it is much smaller than the larger publics that are near the 3,000 range. Cleveland, Columbus, and other cities in the state also have Parochials with probably 50 in the state. NC has three playing high school sports. Lebron James attended St Vincent-St Mary in Akron. Those schools play in the public school league. Comparing what we have in NC to your NFL family member is not a logical comparison.

Elijah Hood was a top recruit in the nation and went to Charlotte Catholic. He spent 12 years in the Catholic system in Charlotte as did his father and uncle.

Ex,
Who denied that but what is your point? You said it right though. They go where the program is best. The PROGRAM. Some of those same players werepart of the other program and went winless pretty much. It is about the program and the environment. And a few years ago the braves had it going because they built an environment of success starting with their coach coupled with some stud players. That same time though we lost players that transferred up there so see it works both ways. Still ddon't see your point about where the players live in Swain County or Rez. You can say any team that if you take away some of their best players wouldn't win as much right? I think we are just missing each others point here. You brought up Tisho. Using him as an example. He played forever at Swain. Had a very successful sophomore year. Transfers to Cherokee his Jr year when Swain won state.Not sure their record that year but not sure they won a game. Maybe they won a couple and that was with Ray ray as their qb. They both come to swain the next year and the rest is history. And regarding his efforts at UT. He has worked extremely hard on the field and he is even more impressive in the classroom. Ray Ray is the exact same. Both these young men will do well and make their community very proud.

The student/athlete concept is best portrayed by the many small high schools who have teams from a very small population such as Cherryville, Hayesville, Albemarle, Nantahala, Hiwassee Dam jusyt to mention as few. Nantahala was in the regionals just two or three years ago and they have less than 30 students (boys and girls) in grades 9 through 12. The Preps and Bishops would never win a game if they had to field teams under these conditions. But these traditional schools continue to have great teams even against great odds due to an unlevel playng field in favor of the non-traditional high schools. It is a great joy to see a game at Nantahala when every student is either playing girls basketball, boys basketball, or cheerleading.

This is the epitome of what education is all about! When they go to the regionals they have truly been "educated" whereas the Preps and Bishops have never experineced what the tradtional small high schools are doing to develop young men and women into great Americans.

Let quit given the Preps and Bishop so much press and let us start standing up and cheering for the many successes of small tradtional high schools.

I agree with 3daughters. One has no idea what character and scruples are being instilled in a young person by a coach or a team. What Catawba....wrote is ridiculous.

I cited a school in his list in a previous post of mine.

I will use Elijah Hood again as an example. He is the biggest star to have played in the Parochial schools and one of the biggest ever in NC period. Ask anyone who has dealt with him. Humble, outgoing, funny, friendly, dedicated, competitive. Great kid. I think his family and the Catholic community has did a superb job and I feel confident that is more the norm than the exception.

This post was edited on 3/22 10:29 PM by btango

gal I don't think exsshs has an issue with Swain or the players but the conversation in the numerous threads is what is a level playing field. If the NCHSAA goes to a traditional / non traditional breakdown there will need to be a regulation for this scenario. I would think a student that can attend either school would be associated to the one he attends day one freshman year and if he decides to attend the other school he will need to set out 365.

If Tisho was originally at Swain and left for Cherokee he should have set out 365. At that time it was not fair to Swain. I think you will agree that if the students can do that then WS Prep is not much different with the Forsyth admin although they have a larger pool.

That rule is in place now. But it has been alluded that Swain is not a traditional school which is comical. If that is the case then one would have to say that Cherokee and Smoky Mtn are not traditional schools either.

At the end of the day its all a big joke and will not change! Pointless in talking about it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT