ADVERTISEMENT

1A Conference Predictions

EXWFAN

Apr 5, 2006
Conference rundowns across the state. Three rivers is done on 2a board.

In the SMC, it has been Cherokee and Hayesville, then everyone else the past few years. I think both of those teams will still be very good, but they will have more competition from the rest of the league this year.

Cherokee graduated a PG who signed with WCU, and I'm hearing a high scoring wing transferred, plus they got a new coach, so they have question marks. But their new coach is a proven winner, and they still have plenty of talent returning.

Hayesville lost probably 80% of their roster to graduation, including an App State signee who was 4-time POY in the league. However, I can't remember the last time they weren't near the top of the league, so I wouldn't bet against them. Plus their one returning starter is a Division I-bound point guard, which is a great piece to rebuild around.

Rosman finished third last year and lost a high scoring guard, but return the other two pieces of a "Big 3" from last year, so I am not expecting a huge drop off. Swain was an upstart team last year, and has pretty much everyone back, so I expect their turnaround will continue.

Murphy has been in the cellar the last few years, but made a great coaching hire in the offseason. There are always good athletes in the hallways there, and I'm expecting with the new coach--who had great success with the Hiwassee Dam girls the past few years--that their success will match up more with the type of athletes at the school.

Andrews also has a new coach and a lot of returners, so they could be much improved. I think there is a big question mark there with a good point guard who suffered an injury during football season, but if he returns at full strength and they get consistent performances from a wing who can really shoot it (last year he had 40 in some games, and 4 in others), they could be tough.

I expect a lot of parity in the league this year and for the conference race to be a lot of fun to watch, although it might be a year away for a lot of the teams in terms of being able to make deep playoff runs.

Last edited:
I think Kestrel Heights will be the best team in the North Central Athletic. They return quite a bit including a good point guard in Javier Rogers.

As for who challenges them, I'm not sure. Voyager lost a ton, Darius McGhee has taken his talents to Blue Ridge, VA, and it also looks like River Mill lost a bit (they do return a good player in Malik Singletary though).

Uwharrie Charter Conference will be between Albemarle and North Stanly with Queens Grant and UA battling for 3 and 4. (Note: depending on what QG gained in the off season)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT