ADVERTISEMENT

You are the new AD

RexReally

Aug 16, 2023
You have been appointed the new athletic director at your school of choice. You have to schedule 4 out of conference games. The school system says funds for travel and expenses are not an issue and all the other ADs in North Carolina want to play your school. Who are you choosing to fill out the schedule? Posters from other boards welcome to join in, but in their case, they have be instructed to pick from divisions smaller than their school.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Starmount has 4 non-conference opponents

Forbush - We have to play them since they are the county rival.

East Surry - We need to play them since both schools are very supportive of their athletic programs and is a nice gate for the host school.

Maiden - We have played some outstanding games with the Blue Devils in the past.

A Smoky Mountain team.....we've played them all except Hayesville.

I think most SMC schools would schedule UGA, Bama, OSU and SoCal in an attempt to get a weaker look at what they will face in the playoffs when they go to Mayberry. I'm sorry I posted this(not really) but I wanted to insert Mt Airy into the discussion (like every other post) and I wanted a good laugh.

Funds (or gate) are not a factor in this situation to allow more flexibility in selection. History and interest are completely valid criteria.

Being from Maiden your rules would make me have to play down I wouldn't want to do that. I'd rather schedule four teams higher up in divisions be it 3A or 4A. You get more benefit from playing up against harder teams even if you lose it doesn't affect your playoff rankings because your RPI is through the roof

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Being from Maiden your rules would make me have to play down I wouldn't want to do that. I'd rather schedule four teams higher up in divisions be it 3A or 4A. You get more benefit from playing up against harder teams even if you lose it doesn't affect your playoff rankings because your RPI is through the roof
Understand that, but put it on the 1A board so we might see what fans of higher divisions might think could give them a decent game.

Mount Airy - 4 Non-Conference Games

East Surry
North Surry
Surry Central
West Stokes

And if we had a 5th Non-Conference game like we did when we had 11 games in a regular season, I gotta go with Galax (VA). All great opponents.
Me to I would love see that happen

Taking out any tradtional rivalries

Mount Airy
1. Maiden
2. Watauga
3. Mitchell
4. Mt. Tabor

Elkin
1. Rosman
2. Avery
3. Surry Central
4. North Wilkes

East Wilkes
1. Wilkes Central
2. Bishop Mcguiness
3. West Iredell
4. North Rowan

Starmount
1. Statesville
2. West Stokes
3. Bunker Hill
4. North Forsyth

Alleghany
1. Galax
2. Avery
3. Hayesville
4. Fred T. Foard

If playing up I like that we play 4a watauga I'd like to play Mallard Creek, ac Reynolds, grimsley. Touch all the major metropolitan areas

Taking out any tradtional rivalries

Mount Airy
1. Maiden
2. Watauga
3. Mitchell
4. Mt. Tabor

Elkin
1. Rosman
2. Avery
3. Surry Central
4. North Wilkes

East Wilkes
1. Wilkes Central
2. Bishop Mcguiness
3. West Iredell
4. North Rowan

Starmount
1. Statesville
2. West Stokes
3. Bunker Hill
4. North Forsyth

Alleghany
1. Galax
2. Avery
3. Hayesville
4. Fred T. Foard
Mount Airy played Watauga maybe 2 or 3 times back in the late 1970s and maybe the early 1980s in the 3A playoffs. Seems maybe twice up there and maybe once down here, hard to remember but I never missed a game in the 1960s through the 2000s. about 50+ years. The games up there were played at Appalachian State football stadium.

Last edited:
This will be fun:

This is done without rivalries. Let's say all the Surry County teams are in conference with us and we don't have to worry about that.

Week 1 I'd go out of the box for a real old school style random endowment matchup. I've always wanted to play a game near the beach, I'm still so jealous North Stokes got to go play at Cape Hattaras in the day, I bet that was amazing. Sadly they don't play no more. I'd go for someone like Dixon or Spring Creek. No close to the ocean sadly but still close enough.

Week 2 I'd schedule the one team in our natural area we haven't ever played oddly enough, East Wilkes. We played them in basketball when the school opened in the early 60's but we've never played them in Football. We were inches close to having them on the schedule as the season opener the past 2 years in 2021 back when we were in the Northwest when it was going to be the Surry/Stokes league. But that fell through when they changed it up to what we got. I'd love to see a game there one time, we 7 on 7'ed there in 2017 and it was georgous.

Week 3 I'd go up to the mountains to play a team with turf because the kids loved it at Watauga and I really did too. Def not Watauga though lol. I'd pick Madison or East Henderson..

Week 4 i'd play either Lexington or West Davidson. Lexington we played when I was in middle school for endowment, West Davidson we almost scrimmaged them last year. I think both would be a fun series for us, they have speed in Lexington's case, and size in WD's. Be good tests for us.

This will be fun:

This is done without rivalries. Let's say all the Surry County teams are in conference with us and we don't have to worry about that.

Week 1 I'd go out of the box for a real old school style random endowment matchup. I've always wanted to play a game near the beach, I'm still so jealous North Stokes got to go play at Cape Hattaras in the day, I bet that was amazing. Sadly they don't play no more. I'd go for someone like Dixon or Spring Creek. No close to the ocean sadly but still close enough.

Week 2 I'd schedule the one team in our natural area we haven't ever played oddly enough, East Wilkes. We played them in basketball when the school opened in the early 60's but we've never played them in Football. We were inches close to having them on the schedule as the season opener the past 2 years in 2021 back when we were in the Northwest when it was going to be the Surry/Stokes league. But that fell through when they changed it up to what we got. I'd love to see a game there one time, we 7 on 7'ed there in 2017 and it was georgous.

Week 3 I'd go up to the mountains to play a team with turf because the kids loved it at Watauga and I really did too. Def not Watauga though lol. I'd pick Madison or East Henderson..

Week 4 i'd play either Lexington or West Davidson. Lexington we played when I was in middle school for endowment, West Davidson we almost scrimmaged them last year. I think both would be a fun series for us, they have speed in Lexington's case, and size in WD's. Be good tests for us.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Excellent post Slasher. Fun selections. I go to Hatteras at least once a year and love going bt the high school. It's a nice school and can only imagine it would be fun to see a game there.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Excellent post Slasher. Fun selections. I go to Hatteras at least once a year and love going bt the high school. It's a nice school and can only imagine it would be fun to see a game there.

I love topics like this as well, adds a lot of flavor here!

I've not been to the beach since I was a little kid and I miss it. The idea off getting out of a car or bus and smelling the salt and feeling the beach breeze would be truly amazing not going to lie. I hate Cape Hattaras can't play anymore their field was unique and something special.

Reactions: Usdi Watali
I would like to see that Burns game. Frankly, I think many of these games people are posting would be fun to see for no other reason than they are new match-ups that haven't been played in recent times.
The reason I chose Burns is that it would be a rematch of the '94 state championship. Plus, I figured it would be an easier "revenge" game than Crest.

Reactions: thekidd12
I remember when North Stokes played at Cape Hatteras. I sent Coach Sessoms a message asking if he was going deep sea fishing as well. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT