ADVERTISEMENT

Warren King

ocdavis31

Nov 9, 2013
For folks who have been around Thomasville Bulldog football, as a fan or as an opponent, you may recognize this name.
Warren has been a fan of the Bulldogs for sixty years. He roamed the sidelines well into his seventies, waving that huge Bulldog flag. If you watched the Greensboro, Winston Salem or High Point Friday football shows, you’ve seen him.
At age 83, Warren passed away peacefully this afternoon. He loved his Bulldogs. And he loved every player, cheerleader and coach. He watched from a wheelchair this year as his ‘Dogs made their way into the latter rounds of the playoffs. And, in his mind, the Bulldogs never lost. They just ran out of time.
Some would say he was mentally challenged. I would say that he’s the kindest man I’ve ever known.
I had the privilege of taking Warren to games for the last thirty years. And, after every game, I would say, “Warren King, often imitated” and he would say, “but never ever duplicated”.
Amen. Long live the King.

Over the years I have probably officiated 20+ Thomasville football games, he was a Thomasville Icon. RIP

Reactions: ocdavis31
Warren definitely meant a lot to us! From watching him on the sidelines when i was a kid to being on the team and being on that same sideline with him on Friday nights, to him walking through the high school campus during the school day in route to the YMCA and drawing a buzz from all us, to running into him at the YMCA and him sometimes coming into the gym at the y to enjoy and "ref" an occasional pick up basketball game!! Warren is indeed a Thomasville Legend!!

For folks who have been around Thomasville Bulldog football, as a fan or as an opponent, you may recognize this name.
Warren has been a fan of the Bulldogs for sixty years. He roamed the sidelines well into his seventies, waving that huge Bulldog flag. If you watched the Greensboro, Winston Salem or High Point Friday football shows, you’ve seen him.
At age 83, Warren passed away peacefully this afternoon. He loved his Bulldogs. And he loved every player, cheerleader and coach. He watched from a wheelchair this year as his ‘Dogs made their way into the latter rounds of the playoffs. And, in his mind, the Bulldogs never lost. They just ran out of time.
Some would say he was mentally challenged. I would say that he’s the kindest man I’ve ever known.
I had the privilege of taking Warren to games for the last thirty years. And, after every game, I would say, “Warren King, often imitated” and he would say, “but never ever duplicated”.
Amen. Long live the King.
Well said. Long live the King!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT