ADVERTISEMENT

Swain coach resigns

If they are enrolled at Robbinsville why wouldn't they be counted.
You said that Cherokee County will have 800 or more students. But once you take out the Andrews kids who will go to Robbinsville and the HD kids who will go to Copper Basin, the true number won’t be close to 800. Are you assuming that Cherokee County will have to count every student at all three high schools.? That would be the only way for Cherokee County to get to 800.

I would be shocked if 10 kids from Andrews goes to Robbinsville.
The combined enrollment of Murphy,Andrews, and HD is over 800.
Do you really think 150 kids are going to to other places, naturally?
150 probably isn't enough to go 1a by the way. You guys still have a few years to figure it out. If anyone can do it Cherokee county can.

If the new Cherokee County school is 2a….they are gonna be in a bind for a conference to play in and travel. Unless Franklin or Smoky drop back down at some point. What’s the closest 2a school? Owen? Madison? Brevard?
Or do they get to be the only 2a school in a split league and have some weird restrictions on making the playoffs like Murphy had years ago?

Brevard is closest, and is still almost 100 miles. I don’t think they’d let some every other year deal like Murphy had in the 90s fly any more. Pisgah, Smoky, and Franklin all go back and forth, but if everybody is where they are now when New School opens, I think it would have to be a split one way or the other—whether that be a 1A/2A split SMC with Rosman and Hendersonville coming back to the SMC and bringing Brevard, or a 2A/3A split with Franklin, Smoky, Pisgah, Tuscola, and Brevard and maybe some from Henderson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superkase1982
98 miles from new school, which will be about 5 miles out of town. Google it from Tri County Community College. School will be next door. But the route to Brevard from the new school that is 98 miles would be brutal in a bus.

Last edited:
With the continued growth snd shuffle of metro areas I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the mountain schools come back down to 2A.

I'd say they'll make a 2A/3A split.

The only reason the Mtn schools went 3a is because the metro schools have high free lunch percentages.
Franklin, Smoky, and Pisgah still have 2a numbers.
If Franklin and Smoky come back to 2a the SMC could do a 1a/2a split with
1. Hayesville 1a
2. Robbinsville 1a
3. Swain 1a
4. Cherokee 1a
5. Franklin 2a
6. Smoky Mtn 2a
7. Cherokee County 2a

I don't really like this idea but we obviously can't have only 4 schools in a conference.

Another option would be to bring Rosman back and have a 1a only SMC with Rosman, Robbinsville, Cherokee, Hayesville, and Swain. This would be a very good wrestling conference. SMC is already the best wrestling conference or near the top at least.
Ofcouse Rosman and Brevard could combine soon, who knows.

Alot can change in 4 years. I don't see the same formula being used for realignment the next go around, but of course it could be if that's what it takes to bump a good amount of charters up.

Say what you will about the new formula, but this year's basketball playoffs are going to have the most traditional schools alive in the late rounds in years, I think.

If split happens, Pisgah and Tuscola numbers are right about the same as Franklin. Could see them maybe dropping to 2A and also wanting to be in with the rest of the schools from west of Asheville. Tuscola about made a Federal case out of wanting to be in the Mountain 6 instead of the Asheville conference last realignment. Nine team conference would be big, but would make scheduling easy. Could see Little Smoky adding the Early College, The Learning Center, Summit Charter, and maybe Shining Rock from Lake Junaluska and becoming their own standalone thing.

But yeah, who knows what the formula for classification will be when the new school finally opens. Or if we'll even still have 4 classes at that point. Could be 5 or 6 at that point. You've also got other variables--how many kids will go to the new charter high school in Murphy? How many of those would have gone to the traditional high school? Or will it more be taking kids from the Early College? Will the Early College numbers dip because the traditional option will now have easy access to the community college for dual enrollment and people will see the EC as pointless? Or will they go up because people will still see value in it and you might as well go to the EC if you have to travel all the way to Peachtree anyway? A lot of moving parts and almost impossible to predict at this point. I don't believe the funding for the new school has yet been secured, so it may be a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
The only reason the Mtn schools went 3a is because the metro schools have high free lunch percentages.
Franklin, Smoky, and Pisgah still have 2a numbers.
If Franklin and Smoky come back to 2a the SMC could do a 1a/2a split with
1. Hayesville 1a
2. Robbinsville 1a
3. Swain 1a
4. Cherokee 1a
5. Franklin 2a
6. Smoky Mtn 2a
7. Cherokee County 2a

I don't really like this idea but we obviously can't have only 4 schools in a conference.

Another option would be to bring Rosman back and have a 1a only SMC with Rosman, Robbinsville, Cherokee, Hayesville, and Swain. This would be a very good wrestling conference. SMC is already the best wrestling conference or near the top at least.
Ofcouse Rosman and Brevard could combine soon, who knows.
Would make things easier on travel for Cherokee County too. Also would like to see Franklin and Robbinsville play again, not sure why they stopped scheduling each other. Seems like that would be a competitive game and good gate

Yeah and the Franklin robbinsville rivalry is close.
I think Robbinsville leads 23-18.
Robbinsville won the last two in 08-09.
I work in Franklin. It would be huge at my job.

Reactions: mtnpack
I would be shocked if 10 kids from Andrews goes to Robbinsville.
The combined enrollment of Murphy,Andrews, and HD is over 800.
Do you really think 150 kids are going to to other places, naturally?
150 probably isn't enough to go 1a by the way. You guys still have a few years to figure it out. If anyone can do it Cherokee county can.
I bet more than 10 Andrews students will go to Robbinsville. I think you underestimate the dislike Andrews has for Murphy. HD is the same way. A bunch will go to Copper Basin from there I bet. What exactly do you mean by “naturally”? People physically moving to the school district? Some (most) ordinary folks in this area can’t afford to just pick up and move to a new school district. If a school is close enough to where they live that their kids can commute to that school, to me that’s fine and is nobody else’s business.

As far as Cherokee County finding a way to be in 1a, it’s not us you should be worried about. As long as Tarboro is in 1a I’m afraid the party will be over for Graham County. Maybe you should focus your attention there,

Things will change. Tarboro not going be on top always. Besides nchsaa could change everything next realignment.

Things will change. Tarboro not going be on top always. Besides nchsaa could change everything next realignment.
That’s true. Personally, I don’t think a football program with the ridiculous talent and winning tradition (mostly in much bigger classifications) of Tarboro should ever be playing 1a football. I get that it’s all about the number of students, but still. Simply put, they are just too good. They simply outclass everyone else. I don’t think their fans would disagree with any of that, and I would say most all of them would rather be playing up in 2a or 3a.

• Haha
Reactions: therealsquid
The tarboro will stay dominant in this format. Highly doubt numbers in that community are increasing

That’s true. Personally, I don’t think a football program with the ridiculous talent and winning tradition (mostly in much bigger classifications) of Tarboro should ever be playing 1a football. I get that it’s all about the number of students, but still. Simply put, they are just too good. They simply outclass everyone else. I don’t think their fans would disagree with any of that, and I would say most all of them would rather be playing up in 2a or 3a.
HAHAHAHA Tarboro will always be "in it to win it" each year regardless of classification. Mountain teams just gotta get better against them. Murphy can run with them, but that's about it. Ain't no way they should have to play up even though they win all the time. They're NOT a charter or private school. Just regular rural Eastern NC school with epic run of athletes and hard work!! Anyway, back to the topic. Does Swain have a HFC yet? Are they gonna get one soon?!

On the Swain deal, who knows....As for a 3 team conference, my goodness have we forgotten the Old 2a SMC? Franklin, the 76 State Champs, Swain the 79 State Champs and Murphy! Sorry dog fans can recall the title yrs y'all had. Then toss Sylva Webster in there a few years and playing your conferences foes twice a yr.... Man I still feel some of those nights! Guess I am saying is a three of four team conferences would be killer again.

Speaking of losing credibility, I told everyone on this board yrs ago what was going to happen to Swain football. And I was about spot on. Now I said," the rumor mill" for a reason. No reason to start acting out at my expense. Be blessed and have a great day.
Kevin, in your opinion what are the issues with the swain program??? They seem to have become mediocre at best the last several years.

Kevin, in your opinion what are the issues with the swain program??? They seem to have become mediocre at best the last several years.
Straight up, the political side of this is a mess. Do you recall when I stated the logical reason. The coach would just get out coached but Swain would always end up with these 7 and 6 or worse? Had a few more on here telling me that we'd be fine. Well time for someone to step up. Right now I'll take the Water Boy😐

If the new Cherokee County school is 2a….they are gonna be in a bind for a conference to play in and travel. Unless Franklin or Smoky drop back down at some point. What’s the closest 2a school? Owen? Madison? Brevard?
Or do they get to be the only 2a school in a split league and have some weird restrictions on making the playoffs like Murphy had years ago?
I think they need a conference alignment

I bet more than 10 Andrews students will go to Robbinsville. I think you underestimate the dislike Andrews has for Murphy. HD is the same way. A bunch will go to Copper Basin from there I bet. What exactly do you mean by “naturally”? People physically moving to the school district? Some (most) ordinary folks in this area can’t afford to just pick up and move to a new school district. If a school is close enough to where they live that their kids can commute to that school, to me that’s fine and is nobody else’s business.

As far as Cherokee County finding a way to be in 1a, it’s not us you should be worried about. As long as Tarboro is in 1a I’m afraid the party will be over for Graham County. Maybe you should focus your attention there,
Tarboro is Tarboro but the same can be said about Murphy or Robbinsville.. I think any given year any of those 3 teams could take it.

Reactions: BK13T-$
They was 2a but played in the 1a playoffs every other year. That won't happen again. They should've played 2a when the playoffs started regardless of what conference they was in for regular season.
Murphy would have had a great chance to win the 2a title in 91 and 92. Those two teams IMO were the most talented Murphy teams ever outside of the ‘86 and ‘87 Carl Pickens teams.

It's been 2 months now and spring workouts are just around the corner. Still no hire in Bryson City?

• Wow
Reactions: Steelers71
Yes, it looks like the veer will be a thing of the past at Swain. Probably will run a hybrid spread type offense.

Will it work at Swain???

Only time will tell

Yes, it looks like the veer will be a thing of the past at Swain. Probably will run a hybrid spread type offense.

Will it work at Swain???

Only time will tell
IF its' the Spread Wing T like Murphy runs/ran, then I can see that being good. Regular Spread? You're right, time will tell for sure.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I expect the Shermanator and his offense to bring the same kind of success hes enjoyed at Tuscola to the Maroon Devils.

GoU8.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT