ADVERTISEMENT

Bryan Till is leaving Richmond

When Independence came to Rockingham and beat the brakes off the Raiders with Chris Leak, I’m sure he was booed.
Oh, yeah. Second loss in two years after two undefeated years and they had choice words. Also, there was no end of season fund raiser by the booster club that year, the Hundred Dollar Dinner. Barnes was basically informed the season was another failure. The best of times, the worst of times…

Not my place to name names

Sources tell me at least two State Championship Head coaches applied. A Raider alumnus with an impressive coaching record, and coach familiar to the region who coached in a state championship game this year. You can probably narrow some things down from there.

Im glad one of those guys didnt get it because I like what he is doing where he was already at.

Not my place to name names

Sources tell me at least two State Championship Head coaches applied. A Raider alumnus with an impressive coaching record, and coach familiar to the region who coached in a state championship game this year. You can probably narrow some things down from there.
Interesting. I guess winning a state championship as a HC is trumped by winning as an assistant and being an OC a few years. So much for "nothing beats experience".

Reactions: tigertown21
The same could be said of Knotts' transfer from Independence to Dutch Fork, a team that hadn't won a title since 2006. The location makes a difference, but Knotts is a top-notch coach, so he can quickly transform Richmond. The Richmond fan base would raise the money. They have both the momentum and energy. I can assure you that if Knotts arrived, a caravan would migrate from Charlotte and every athlete would have a relative who would have moved to Richmond. Jobs would be created by Gianni Versace's apparel brand, Macy's, BMW Manufacturing Company and John Deere Farming Sales.
Irmo is a significantly better location than Rockingham

Reactions: Greengold_4ever
Literally heard this same rumor/position early 90s, 2000s. Many thought Leon Hope would get the RC job when Barnes left. But he didn't. At one point many at West Charlotte wanted him when Knotts left for Indy. Mike Helms was an absolute disaster at WC. Then RC passed over Flowers. The top choice this time around should have been Coach Eric Morman or possibly Patrick Hope.

Taking a neutral approach on Denson. Talked to many former players and their biggest gripe is that his offense is one dimensional run up the middle with no creativity. As a rule of thumb asst. coaches on the prior staff of the former HC rarely do much better and are often times worse. An experienced HC with no ties to the previous regime or the school always seem to do better IMHO because they take an unbiased look at the situation and can make tough choices. When you have the town hero local return they get a lot of leeway that sometimes can hurt a program. Hope he does well. Will be a very tough job.

Sounds like a trend with Richmond alumni coaches. Crest had one of them that ran 2 plays the whole game and the team was becoming irrelevant as a contender as well.

Nothing screams novice football fan louder than this statement. The middle of the offense is the Center, hence the title. So every team that runs the football between the tackles is running directly at the Centers butt? Come on now, be a better fan than that. There are a multitude of possible schemes to make use of those matchups and alignments of the defense in those 4 gaps from Tackle to Tackle (5 and 6 gaps if you add TE's). Pro football has the least number of running plays yet we all have our favorite teams. They all run Inside Zone, Outside Zone and a wrinkle of the week deepening on opponent and nobody says "they run it up the middle all the time". I bet that every NFL team runs the same play 60% of the time Inside Zone left and Inside Zone right. High School football is the most diversified and creative offenses you will see during a season you can see Wing T, Spread, Zone, Power, Flex bone, the list goes on and on. So lets all try to be better fans and avoid the tired cliche's of "they always run up the middle" "if the OL would block somebody", "come on Def tackle somebody"

you can explain all the detail and complexity you want, BUT the evidence is in the titles and playoff exits. You can not argue against that and tell people the did not see what everybody saw with their own eyes.

It's like explaining to a sick patient all the complexities of a solution that is not working to cure their sickness. All they see and feel is the sickness and a cure/solution that's falling short of ending the suffering.

Lol two years ago New Bern went undefeated and won the 4a championship and threw the ball like 20 something times the whole season.

That doesn't win multiple titles. And hasn't done so in the 21st century. You can hit a bulls eye once in a while. Convincing someone based off once every 15 years wont cut it.

Some of you are too stubborn to move out of 1987 into 2024. That's why you can only take pride in a few conference titles against a weak to mediocre field, and no state titles or regional ones.

Lol two years ago New Bern went undefeated and won the 4a championship and threw the ball like 20 something times the whole season.
you better have a very special stable of talented runners and an OL full of strong seniors, while also facing a team from the west with a not so great defense in order for that to work. The probability of that happening in the same year is slim to none, and slim just left town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopper747
I'm ready for some Friday night lights. How about you guys?
Shine yeah pa! Same here, but we have a long ways to go with this New Coach Discussion. Forecast is calling for another 2.5 months before this conference begins to dwindle down. Please be patient.

Sounds like a trend with Richmond alumni coaches. Crest had one of them that ran 2 plays the whole game and the team was becoming irrelevant as a contender as well.
Crest last two titles were delivered by a former Richmond assistant, one directly and the second indirectly. Indirectly since Will Clark was a Barnes hire and disciple from Scotland County, yes Barnes was an assistant at Richmond. And i am almost certain Barnes title run was led by a run heavy offense using hardly any Wr's on the field. Just saying. Wake Forest and Charlotte Catholic ran the Wing-T, which is a run dominated offense and have multiple titles in the 21st century. Pretty sure Crest fans know all about Charlotte Catholic's prowess.

He said mediocre field 🤣 .....as i look at Crest schedule vs Richmond's. Ok buddy whatever you say, you win 😉

What makes you say this? Easiest, most convenient or most popular? I am a little thick headed at times and need some help on this statement. Thanks for your help
Pretty much meant that if I was a betting man I would have put all I had on that hire.
1. A former college coach with a HS state championship.
2. Another HS state championship winning coach.
3. A coach considered one of the best young head coaches in the state.

That's enough to chew on for the moment.
look for number 3 to show up right across the border

Robertson, Mormon, Johnson, Hope, and Denson.
Correct. Btango really respect your opinion. Out of those possibilities how can you validate the Denson hire or say it was resume/works based process?

IMHO Robertson, Morman, Johnson would have appeared to be better choices. Then Hope has much more coaching experience also when compared head to head as a candidate with no HC experience. Then add in Hope has the youth ball in RC locked down.

Will say it again they fumbled not getting Morman.....

Correct. Btango really respect your opinion. Out of those possibilities how can you validate the Denson hire or say it was resume/works based process?

IMHO Robertson, Morman, Johnson would have appeared to be better choices. Then Hope has much more coaching experience also when compared head to head as a candidate with no HC experience. Then add in Hope has the youth ball in RC locked down.

Will say it again they fumbled not getting Morman.....
Sometimes a coach that wants the job but needs a lot of extras to make the move a wise one will interview but what they are requesting will not work for the school/system/boosters, et al. Many expect Johnson to return to Scotland County after Richard Bailey retires or go into SC. Mormon has establish his family in Charlotte metro where the wife went to high school.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT