ADVERTISEMENT

Shelby Football 2022

2nd To None

Nov 23, 2021
First of all, and we will repeat this, congratulations to Burns for defeating the Golden Lions not once, but twice this year. You have proven yourselves the better team for 2022 and we wish you continued success in the playoffs.
Congratulations also to Kings Mountain and Crest and their success in this 2022 football season.
We would love to see two State Titles come back to Cleveland County at the end of this season. It would not be the first time for two in the same year.

As the Shelby Football community is licking its wounds today, we want to put this in perspective.
This is not an effort to make excuses for 2022, nor is it an essay on Shelby success over the years. It is more of our observation on what effects high school football success…..or lack of success. Most of you know these observations already,, but we suddenly have some free time on our hands.
Shelby won the Title in 2019 and 2021. Shelby exited the playoffs uncharacteristically early in both 2020 and 2022.
And both early exits were with several experienced returning key players from the Championship teams.
What happened?
It is easy enough to say, as others have mentioned, that the team chemistry was just not there for a Championship run these seasons.
But what caused that, and is team chemistry really that much of a factor when you still possess proven great talent AND coaching. And community support.

Yes….It is. It is the most important factor. And poor team chemistry can be the hardest thing to overcome in season.
For 2020, Covid was the obvious culprit. Heck, it was played in the SPRING.
But others were successful, even with Covid.
Why was Shelby so off?

Despite many excellent defensive units since 2013, Shelby’s overwhelming success has been due to the record setting offensive explosions since Coach Ware implemented the spread offense at Shelby starting in his first year at the helm in 2011. The difficulty in establishing that offensive scheme in effect sacrificed the Golden Lions seasons of 2011 and 2012. In 2011, Shelby returned TWO 1000 yard rushers, still made it to the Western Finals, but lost to a determined West Stokes crowd, as we “passed” our way to a defeat. 2012 was worse, exiting in the third round as the passing game lacked refinement.
By 2013, it began to click. And the rest you know.

2020, already with the large Covid disruptions, also brought in a head coach only in his 2nd year, who had won in 2019 with many hold overs from Ware’s 2018 Title team. Add in a brand new TRANSFER senior quarterback to run the spread, ZERO seven on seven summer preparation, and a goofy 6 game schedule with no Crest game and a forfeit from East Rutherford. The 20-21 Shelby basketball team was comprised mostly of key football players and played deep into the Spring, winning the Western final, and then waited on a canceled Championship game (ended up co - champions). The Spring football season was IMMEDIATELY upon them.
As all that understandably disrupted a football machine that had flourished for that current decade, the biggest impact to team chemistry came from the players themselves. And that is also how 2020 relates to 2022.
As we correctly protect details of damaging behavior by 14 to 19 year olds, all of us close to the program, and many of you reading this, can safely say that off the field disruptions, attitudes and mistakes by the players themselves can certainly torpedo the opportunity for a more successful football season. Shelby folks have experienced this long before now, and it will happen again. We all make mistakes. The kids will learn. And this has absolutely nothing to do with race. We have lost key white players for fighting, skipping classes, choosing hunting over practice, etc. and significantly damaging previous squads.
But losing good team chemistry seems to always doom even a championship level team. You see it everywhere, in all sports.
This year, we thought maybe we had overcome it.
The win last week over a very good Forest Hills team was won on heart and determination. The guys rallied.
But that high could not be sustained.
And a decisively better Burns team exposed our sluggishness.

That’s it. The challenge for today's high school coaches is, in some ways, greater than ever. They are expected to prepare the kids to win, but have to counsel as well as coach. They deserve our praise, more than our criticism.

One more thing we know from history….

First of all, and we will repeat this, congratulations to Burns for defeating the Golden Lions not once, but twice this year. You have proven yourselves the better team for 2022 and we wish you continued success in the playoffs.
Congratulations also to Kings Mountain and Crest and their success in this 2022 football season.
We would love to see two State Titles come back to Cleveland County at the end of this season. It would not be the first time for two in the same year.

As the Shelby Football community is licking its wounds today, we want to put this in perspective.
This is not an effort to make excuses for 2022, nor is it an essay on Shelby success over the years. It is more of our observation on what effects high school football success…..or lack of success. Most of you know these observations already,, but we suddenly have some free time on our hands.
Shelby won the Title in 2019 and 2021. Shelby exited the playoffs uncharacteristically early in both 2020 and 2022.
And both early exits were with several experienced returning key players from the Championship teams.
What happened?
It is easy enough to say, as others have mentioned, that the team chemistry was just not there for a Championship run these seasons.
But what caused that, and is team chemistry really that much of a factor when you still possess proven great talent AND coaching. And community support.

Yes….It is. It is the most important factor. And poor team chemistry can be the hardest thing to overcome in season.
Why was Shelby so off?

Despite many excellent defensive units since 2013, Shelby’s overwhelming success has been due to the record setting offensive explosions since Coach Ware implemented the spread offense at Shelby starting in his first year at the helm in 2011. The difficulty in establishing that offensive scheme in effect sacrificed the Golden Lions seasons of 2011 and 2012. In 2011, Shelby returned TWO 1000 yard rushers, still made it to the Western Finals, but lost to a determined West Stokes crowd, as we “passed” our way to a defeat. 2012 was worse, exiting in the third round as the passing game lacked refinement.

2020, already with the large Covid disruptions, also brought in a head coach only in his 2nd year, who had won in 2019 with many hold overs from Ware’s 2018 Title team. Add in a brand new TRANSFER senior quarterback to run the spread, ZERO seven on seven summer preparation, and a goofy 6 game schedule with no Crest game and a forfeit from East Rutherford. The 20-21 Shelby basketball team was comprised mostly of key football players and played deep into the Spring, winning the Western final, and then waited on a canceled Championship game (ended up co - champions). The Spring football season was IMMEDIATELY upon them.
As all that understandably disrupted a football machine that had flourished for that current decade, the biggest impact to team chemistry came from the players themselves. And that is also how 2020 relates to 2022.
As we correctly protect details of damaging behavior by 14 to 19 year olds, all of us close to the program, and many of you reading this, can safely say that off the field disruptions, attitudes and mistakes by the players themselves can certainly torpedo the opportunity for a more successful football season. Shelby folks have experienced this long before now, and it will happen again. We all make mistakes. The kids will learn. And this has absolutely nothing to do with race. We have lost key white players for fighting, skipping classes, choosing hunting over practice, etc. and significantly damaging previous squads.
But losing good team chemistry seems to always doom even a championship level team. You see it everywhere, in all sports.
The win last week over a very good Forest Hills team was won on heart and determination. The guys rallied.

That’s it. The challenge for today's high school coaches is, in some ways, greater than ever. They are expected to prepare the kids to win, but have to counsel as well as coach. They deserve our praise, more than our criticism.

Big Boys came up, no more split divisions, add that as well buddy!! 😎

Big Boys came up, no more split divisions, add that as well buddy!! 😎
That’s what I have being trying to tell you, and you’re talking about Reidsville having a cakewalk. You will find that playing the likes of Monroe and Burns is a different animal than playing West Stokes and 1A Mt. Heritage in the third and fourth rounds. I thought you would have learned this last year, buddy. 😉 😎

Last edited:
That’s what I have being trying to tell you, and you’re talking about Reidsville having a cakewalk. You will find that playing the likes of Monroe and Burns is a different animal than playing West Stokes and 1A Mt. Heritage in the third and fourth rounds. I thought you would have learned this last year, buddy. 😉 😎

1a mountain heritage beat the team that beat y'all year before last not sure why that didn't earn them any respect from Shelby. West stokes has beat Shelby too, I don't get it.

Reactions: thekidd12
I’m a die hard rams fan but I don’t get the cake walk thing. Confidence is one thing but Rammer16 I need to see who you are lol I got some questions

Nice try.
No, you guys are the ones to never, repeat never win a unified association/classification State Title. Not a factor for us.
Shelby has won several, including last year.
It's funny you Shelby folks seem so much more replete with knowledge now that you got your butts handed to you on a platter than you have had all season. Burns really opened your minds. You have figured out the whole last decade. I figured out your little "Unified' title mantra 3 years ago. If you know anything about math it is easy.
I will explain it to you in few days. I am sure you will give me that bearing in mind you have had all season to come up with all that drivel which got this thread started.

You must really like History. It's almost like you go back in time.

I can sum up your little essay: It ain't as easy as it used to be!!!!

Nice try.
No, you guys are the ones to never, repeat never win a unified association/classification State Title. Not a factor for us.
Shelby has won several, including last year.
What good did that do you this year. Il wait…………………………. Oh wait none. Y’all just went ahead and lost early because on yalls down years y’all lose before even getting close to a matchup with ‘em Reidsville. On the other hand even in Reidsville bad teams they find a way to still reach the the Shelby Reidsville game. That way y’all can try and hang on to the head to head matchup because y’all will never and I repeat never in your own words catch the State titles we have. Unless you do what some Shelby posters like yourself normally do and start the state titles when it’s in your favor. I love most Shelby posters aka Lion Attack and Shelby lion. Met them both and even watched an entire Shelby state title game with Shelby lion. But as is some Reidsville fans/posters some are ignorant in the debates they try start to make their team better. The teams are what they are.

One thing Shelby is always going to have is the inner city kids which brings speed and athletic ability. With those two you’ll always have a recipe for a good and even sometimes great football team. In high school if you have a hand full of kids that can fly and athletes to fill in spots you can win a lot of football games. Other schools aren’t that fortunate to have that year in and year out. Managing that talent is where the teachers, coaches and community comes in. I’ve seen in it with the Shelby Middle School football team already. Undisciplined and some kids that think they don’t have to answer to anyone. Hopefully they can control that over the next few years or like the rest of society it will spiral out of control. Just hope Shelby has enough talent to overcome that if it happens.

One thing Shelby is always going to have is the inner city kids which brings speed and athletic ability. With those two you’ll always have a recipe for a good and even sometimes great football team. In high school if you have a hand full of kids that can fly and athletes to fill in spots you can win a lot of football games. Other schools aren’t that fortunate to have that year in and year out. Managing that talent is where the teachers, coaches and community comes in. I’ve seen in it with the Shelby Middle School football team already. Undisciplined and some kids that think they don’t have to answer to anyone. Hopefully they can control that over the next few years or like the rest of society it will spiral out of control. Just hope Shelby has enough talent to overcome that if it happens.

I've driven through Shelby a few times, there's nothing inner "city" or anything city about that small country town. Shelby is on the fringes of 704 metro.

What happened?

Why was Shelby so off?

I read the bolded, looked down, and didnt read any further.

We must add, Coach Wilbanks won the 2021 State Title very much on his own with his staff, his players and his team.
It was a tremendous job.
That is why we referred to “ great coaching” even now. Proven.
Sooo….anyway….years ago…

Me and Coach was sitting in a hotel bar watching the ACC tourney. In fact there were 20 of us Maidenites and maybe another 20 from all over the USA. You see…it was spring at the beach and the college baseball teams were in town. California, Ohio, NY…etc etc.
I made a statement at our table…that eventually caused a heated debate throughout the entire bar. It was ME against them ALL!!
Even the smart ass bartender turned down the volume on the TV to put his two cents in.

I simply said…..NC State is better than their record. They all ganged up on me…led by the Old Rat himself…..as they all said….No one is better or worse than their record. You are what your record is…no better! no worse! You are..and own…. your record! Blah! Blah! Blah!

I said that is ridiculous!…and used examples to support my argument. But…they wouldn’t budge! It went on for half an hour….and they all gave me hell the rest of the weekend. I still struggle with it….because I know others feel the same way I do…and it’s evidenced by the way most responded to Shelby’s record this season….especially those East boys….if y’all were 3-7….they’d still say…”I’m taking Shelby until proven otherwise”😂

Yet….I guarantee…there are those on these threads who believe that Shelby shouldn’t have been ranked in the top 10 all year and feel that Shelby was simply just another 7-5 team….just their record…no better…no worse.

For the record…I do not!

I was just wondering how you felt about it because you remind of some of those hard heads I run with.

I’m sure…the entire bar will chime in….hoping you do as well.

Sooo….anyway….years ago…

Me and Coach was sitting in a hotel bar watching the ACC tourney. In fact there were 20 of us Maidenites and maybe another 20 from all over the USA. You see…it was spring at the beach and the college baseball teams were in town. California, Ohio, NY…etc etc.
I made a statement at our table…that eventually caused a heated debate throughout the entire bar. It was ME against them ALL!!
Even the smart ass bartender turned down the volume on the TV to put his two cents in.

I simply said…..NC State is better than their record. They all ganged up on me…led by the Old Rat himself…..as they all said….No one is better or worse than their record. You are what your record is…no better! no worse! You are..and own…. your record! Blah! Blah! Blah!

I said that is ridiculous!…and used examples to support my argument. But…they wouldn’t budge! It went on for half an hour….and they all gave me hell the rest of the weekend. I still struggle with it….because I know others feel the same way I do…and it’s evidenced by the way most responded to Shelby’s record this season….especially those East boys….if y’all were 3-7….they’d still say…”I’m taking Shelby until proven otherwise”😂

Yet….I guarantee…there are those on these threads who believe that Shelby shouldn’t have been ranked in the top 10 all year and feel that Shelby was simply just another 7-5 team….just their record…no better…no worse.

For the record…I do not!

I was just wondering how you felt about it because you remind of some of those hard heads I run with.

Let's not facilitate this prattle and blather

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Sooo….anyway….years ago…

For the record…I do not!

For what it’s worth I agree completely with you … a team can be better than their record.. in games a bad bounce or two and a team looses

this years Shelby team just went down hill …I thought they played pretty well against KM and lost by 1 … started off on FIRE against Crest and just couldn’t stop the bleeding and I didn’t see them play again until the first Burns game and they didn’t look like the previous team I had watched and then the last Burns game ….well that was … hell I don’t know what that was but it wasn’t any kinda Shelby team I have ever watched
for the last 10 years I have watched a lot of Shelby football …. Well because they are damn good teams

Sooo….anyway….years ago…

For the record…I do not!

Dear Lord, you quoted them…
And asked for a response???
Maiden cmon man 😂😂😂

Kick em while they are down boys. If I know anything about Shelby, it’s they won’t be down long. I prefer to let sleeping dogs lie. I wish Shelby was still on SP’s schedule, it made SP better most years. Heartbroken some years but better prepared for the future.

The way we were

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
This thread makes my head spin lol. Just want to say - you can talk chemistry, covid, spring, all the other things/excuses mention by the OP. I think Wilbanks is a great high character person and a good coach, not great yet, but something was out of whack with Shelby this year. A team that returned TONS OF TALENT should never been beaten by a JV Crest team, humiliated by a great Burns team with slightly more talent but less depth, and more than anything else, a putrid, rotten, stinking, no playing defense with that kind of size, speed and athleticism, it's inexcusable, not to mention the lack of emphasis on a running game. It's easy to out athlete others teams with great players every year. That's where coaching should be held accountable for all the chemistry, covid, attitudes and not having superior talent comes in to play. I don't want this to sound like I'm dogging Shelby or saying they should win the big trophy this year, but there's a lot of less talented team's still playing. Good luck to the Golden Lions in 2023. The truth hurts sometimes, but it must be addressed. We all know you'll get it worked out and be back kicking butt like old times.

As for the Reidville crowd, I wouldn't sleep on Chase. I'm not predicting a win, but they're coming to win the game. Chase is the real deal and not a team everybody wants to line up and play in the third rd. Good luck to both teams. Looking forward to this match up.

Sooo….anyway….years ago…

For the record…I do not!

I would agree with this.

5 losses

1 Kings Mountain #1 seed and favorite to win 3A
1 AC Reynolds just knocked off the favorite to win 4A and may win the 4A championship
1 Crest still playing in the 3rd round of the 3A playoffs and the biggest rivalry game in the state of NC
2 Burns favorite to win the 2A title.

I am sure there are other 7-5 teams out there but I bet not a single one has 5 losses like those.

The original post was a long winded response to that gl004 or whatever that was straight pissing on the Shelby coaching staff on the Burns thread.

Dude was off the deep end. I was laughing reading that stuff. This post was made in hopes they’d reign in all that mentioning the coach.

Shelby had a bad year. So what? It happens. All these blood in the water clowns are funny. Shelby has been beating the crap out of a lot of you for so long you think 1 year means something.

Take pictures of your trophy case and ask Shelby to show you theirs. Then talk!

The original post was a long winded response to that gl004 or whatever that was straight pissing on the Shelby coaching staff on the Burns thread.

Dude was off the deep end. I was laughing reading that stuff. This post was made in hopes they’d reign in all that mentioning the coach.

Shelby had a bad year. So what? It happens. All these blood in the water clowns are funny. Shelby has been beating the crap out of a lot of you for so long you think 1 year means something.

I respect how you defend the honor of your little sister Shelby.

This thread makes my head spin lol. Just want to say - you can talk chemistry, covid, spring, all the other things/excuses mention by the OP. I think Wilbanks is a great high character person and a good coach, not great yet, but something was out of whack with Shelby this year. A team that returned TONS OF TALENT should never been beaten by a JV Crest team, humiliated by a great Burns team with slightly more talent but less depth, and more than anything else, a putrid, rotten, stinking, no playing defense with that kind of size, speed and athleticism, it's inexcusable, not to mention the lack of emphasis on a running game. It's easy to out athlete others teams with great players every year. That's where coaching should be held accountable for all the chemistry, covid, attitudes and not having superior talent comes in to play. I don't want this to sound like I'm dogging Shelby or saying they should win the big trophy this year, but there's a lot of less talented team's still playing. Good luck to the Golden Lions in 2023. The truth hurts sometimes, but it must be addressed. We all know you'll get it worked out and be back kicking butt like old times.

As for the Reidville crowd, I wouldn't sleep on Chase. I'm not predicting a win, but they're coming to win the game. Chase is the real deal and not a team everybody wants to line up and play in the third rd. Good luck to both teams. Looking forward to this match up.
I agree....something was out of whack. Just was a weird year. I'm a die hard...have been for decades. But this year was different. Coach Webber said it best on Facebook...."the product the coaches put on the field just wasn't what we are used to. ...accountability and pride and we didn't display those this season." But we are Shelby and we will bounce back.

2008 kind of reminds me of this year. You gotta have heart and we just, as a team, didn't seem to have it like we usually do.

We will be back...no worries!

I respect how you defend the honor of your little sister Shelby.
First let me tell you. Your crap it won’t work with me. I’m no simpleton. I’m a cerebral and habitual line stepper. I love revving idiots up.

Secondly, I don’t care if Shelby loses every game. I couldn’t care less. But, the truth is Shelby has a better program than any other 2 program and it cannot be argued.

Crest just hates Shelby. Because they’re Shelby.

These blood in the water idiots. They hate Shelby because they ain’t Shelby.

First let me tell you. Your crap it won’t work with me. I’m no simpleton. I’m a cerebral and habitual line stepper. I love revving idiots up.

Secondly, I don’t care if Shelby loses every game. I couldn’t care less. But, the truth is Shelby has a better program than any other 2 program and it cannot be argued.

Crest just hates Shelby. Because they’re Shelby.

These blood in the water idiots. They hate Shelby because they ain’t Shelby.

yeah it seems to only work on the supper club these days. I need to go take some extra classes, sharpen my skills, and retool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT