ADVERTISEMENT

ok I got lucky and got to watch three days of regional basketball ...

BravesGWY

Jan 5, 2015
So for you smc ref guys and allegheny since your guys call everything too . The regionals were anything but tightly called in any game I watched and hand checking was allowed in each game we watched.. Very entertaining games without 40 free throw attempts. So please don't badger me when the Smc refs are complained about.. If any of our boys teams would of been there they would of been destroyed by this type ofplay, as cherokee girls found out with a much bigger and faster WSP team.. So our far west people if you want to be successful you better learn to play physical.

Unreal the difference prior to the regionals as compared to the games in Winston. A former ref told me after the semi-finals that if the refs called it tight Albemarle had a good shot against WSP but if they let them play WSP would gradually pull away and win big. He was spot on.

This post was edited on 3/12 8:11 PM by btango

Originally posted by BravesGWY:
So for you smc ref guys and allegheny since your guys call everything too . The regionals were anything but tightly called in any game I watched and hand checking was allowed in each game we watched.. Very entertaining games without 40 free throw attempts. So please don't badger me when the Smc refs are complained about.. If any of our boys teams would of been there they would of been destroyed by this type ofplay, as cherokee girls found out with a much bigger and faster WSP team.. So our far west people if you want to be successful you better learn to play physical.
BravesGWY, I would think Cherokee would of had the best of both worlds. They played about 1/3 of their schedule with SMC refs and 2/3 with refs that were non-SMC. Should this not of been an advantage?

Make your freethrows.If you shoot 50 % from the foul line,or anywhere close to it you deserve to lose.

To be honest braves, we saw it as soon as we got outside our officiating area. We had the opportunity to get to go play at WSP in the second round. Compared to the officiating in our conference, it was like a free for all. Not saying it was biased, just saying that it was very physical.

I have always found it interesting how rules that seem to be reasonably straight forward can be interpreted as differently as they are. Contact that displaces or impedes another player is a foul. One hand on the ball handler for more than a brief touch is a foul, two hands on at any time is a foul. Those are the rules. How are they so difficult to interpret. And how do they seem to consistently be interpreted the same in certain conferences and different in others.

Officials say that they do not like to determine the outcome of the game, but when the rules are not applied, that is exactly what they do.

If preps girls get officials that call the hand check, they have no chance.

This was the problem for bishop's girls. They still had a very talented team but where physically beat up by physical guards and that play is the norm in the NW conference, extremely physical. Prep should be happy that bishop knocked out Atkins as Atkins was the only team that matched up physically with Prep. Prep won the first tight game with Atkins and Atkins won the second. It will be very interesting to see how the game is called tomorrow. If the refs let them play it will be a long day for Riverside.

Originally posted by 3daughters:
This was the problem for bishop's girls. They still had a very talented team but where physically beat up by physical guards and that play is the norm in the NW conference, extremely physical. Prep should be happy that bishop knocked out Atkins as Atkins was the only team that matched up physically with Prep. Prep won the first tight game with Atkins and Atkins won the second. It will be very interesting to see how the game is called tomorrow. If the refs let them play it will be a long day for Riverside.
Agreed, you need two physical, strong ball handlers to beat prep.

Oh not saying we should be used to it . Our girls were just physically not big and strong enough to play that style against prep. I was just pointing out girls and boys were very physical on the regional level. I liked watching it as it looked like college ball..

Glad you like it braves. I on the other hand think a great game has been damaged very badly by the officiating changes through the years. Go back and watch a classic game sometime. Specifically the 82 championship between Carolina and Georgetown. Look at the skill and strategy involved in the game. It was basketball then. It has became a hybrid between what used to be basketball and football. Each to their own, but I loved the game when teams ran motion offenses and the defender could not hold you as you came off the screens. The floor was spread and people moved. Now it has became a dribble drive competition with the dribbler being held all the way to the basket. Again glad you like it. I long for the game that has been lost.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:
Glad you like it braves. I on the other hand think a great game has been damaged very badly by the officiating changes through the years. Go back and watch a classic game sometime. Specifically the 82 championship between Carolina and Georgetown. Look at the skill and strategy involved in the game. It was basketball then. It has became a hybrid between what used to be basketball and football. Each to their own, but I loved the game when teams ran motion offenses and the defender could not hold you as you came off the screens. The floor was spread and people moved. Now it has became a dribble drive competition with the dribbler being held all the way to the basket. Again glad you like it. I long for the game that has been lost.
+1. And me and you aren't the only ones. Attendance and TV ratings are down for college hoops, and I think it's because if people want to watch a wrestling match they'll just watch WWE.

Well I do like it better than both teams shooting free throws every two seconds. This years boys game between my braves and robbinsville took forever and had about 50 fouls called. Both teams best players sat most of the game. That is what I'm basing my opinion on not how bball was played in the 80s.

I don't like that, either, but you would hope teams would eventually adjust. I have a problem with the way the SMC calls games because it's different from how games are called in the playoffs and hurts our teams in the postseason. But ultimately I think that grabbing-and-holding low-scoring basketball is bad for the game.

This post was edited on 3/14 10:19 AM by ObserveAndReport

Originally posted by BravesGWY:
Well I do like it better than both teams shooting free throws every two seconds. This years boys game between my braves and robbinsville took forever and had about 50 fouls called. Both teams best players sat most of the game. That is what I'm basing my opinion on not how bball was played in the 80s.
Do you really want to see that game with little or no officiating? It would be a blood bath. Some fouls have to be called.

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

I have a problem with the way the SMC calls games because it's different from how games are called in the playoffs and hurts our teams in the postseason.
+1

I applaud Cherokee for using a different set of officials for that very reason in basketball. So what gives?! Is there a way to adjust the style of foul calling/officiating in the SMC, or do teams like Hayesville end up following suit and hiring another association in the near future to better prepare their team for the playoffs?

You guys were absolutly right about Prep and the hand check on the dribble. They took Riverside out of there offense.

Originally posted by CP16:
You guys were absolutly right about Prep and the hand check on the dribble. They took Riverside out of there offense.
Yep, when one team gains an advantage it should be called.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT