ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA WRESTLING THREAD

Stinson got beat by Mills 4-0 from Mill Creek, Ga at the Super 32

Screenshot_20231031_090042_Instagram.jpg.0c6a0c2bf8ba077739c3f6b5997404a8.jpg

Reactions: BK13T-$
Robbinsville lady Knights have 12 girls on the roster. How many weight classes the girls have?

Shoutout to Coach Bill Mayhew of South Iredell. He is in his 60 years of coaching wrestling. Any of you posters know any history of some of the Longest wrestling coaches. I don’t keep up with wrestling so I was curious. I did go to South Iredell from way back.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and Appvol
Uwharrie Avery Rville
Yeah Avery got 2 of their better kids back. The one kid moved back from Florida and another kid decided to wrestle this year after not wrestling last year.

Looks like all 3 of those teams will be at the Grapple in Asheville or at least it’s on all their schedules. Wonder if they will all enter their A teams or will there be some ducking?

Shoutout to Coach Bill Mayhew of South Iredell. He is in his 60 years of coaching wrestling. Any of you posters know any history of some of the Longest wrestling coaches. I don’t keep up with wrestling so I was curious. I did go to South Iredell from way back.
Nothing to that level but I believe our coach coach bare been doing it for 30…..also coach melton at western guilford did it for 30
Plus he is retired now

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Was referring to the softball/baseball tournaments that end up on InstaChat where parents are seen accosting officials.
I gotcha cause the video that I saw was with the parents rushing the mat was a dual team between Trinity and Uwharrie Charter...Both are top notch wrestling programs...Trinity won and I was glad F CHARTERS

I gotcha cause the video that I saw was with the parents rushing the mat was a dual team between Trinity and Uwharrie Charter...Both are top notch wrestling programs...Trinity won and I was glad F CHARTERS
Somebody needs to put the video on Twitter

Uwharrie Avery Rville
I'd watch out for Polk too idk that they will be true contenders this year for a state title but there holding there own at the grapple tied with Uwharrie and one pt ahead of Avery currently plus they are a team almost entirely built of freshmen and sophomores with a middle school team moving up that's currently undefeated and on a 30 match winning streak over the last two seasons they have really started to build a nice wrestling program at Polk.

I'd watch out for Polk too idk that they will be true contenders this year for a state title but there holding there own at the grapple tied with Uwharrie and one pt ahead of Avery currently plus they are a team almost entirely built of freshmen and sophomores with a middle school team moving up that's currently undefeated and on a 30 match winning streak over the last two seasons they have really started to build a nice wrestling program at Polk.
Avery did pretty good at the Great Smoky MTN Grapple not having 2 of their better kids at the tournament.

Avery did pretty good at the Great Smoky MTN Grapple not having 2 of their better kids at the tournament.
Well considering they won the whole thing I'd say they did pretty well polk fell to 7th overall but like I said there probably not contenders this year but in the nxt few years with the buy in they have and the kids keep improving they should be a force they only have one senior that regularly contributes now he's a good one and they will miss him but the team they've got coming up and all that returns there gonna be really really good in a couple of years if everything holds together its great to see the wrestling club paying off at the high school level better days are ahead

Well considering they won the whole thing I'd say they did pretty well polk fell to 7th overall but like I said there probably not contenders this year but in the nxt few years with the buy in they have and the kids keep improving they should be a force they only have one senior that regularly contributes now he's a good one and they will miss him but the team they've got coming up and all that returns there gonna be really really good in a couple of years if everything holds together its great to see the wrestling club paying off at the high school level better days are ahead
Oh yeah several of their kids won matches. Had 4 kids place one in the finals. Yes clubs are really important especially by the time kids get to high school. The top 4 teams in team points were all 1a schools.

Just seen Bill Mayhew of South Iredell set a State record with the most wins as a coach. He is 916-388-1. He passed the former coach Buddy Lowery of Davie Co who was 913-126-2 in 43 seasons ( 1976-2019). Congratulations to Coach Bill Mayhew. He is a member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
I would guess 1997
Yes, I was in school around that time and wasn’t a wrestler but John Mark’s name drew a pretty crowd. I remember going to a few local tournaments when I was told he would be there just to watch him work. He made quick work of most in those tournaments but had a very unassuming appearance/presence to him when it seemed he had every chance to be cocky, he just didn’t choose to be.

I seen the Western brackets are out and finalize. I seen #1 Robinsville against 16 Mountain Island Charter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT