ADVERTISEMENT

NC Preps Pre-Season Coaches Poll

I think it is way off.. Swain should have a higher ranking and honestly I think that Murphy is being picked to high, going off of what they lost. I think Rosman should be in the top 13 somewhere also

Does not matter no one is beating those two up top from Duplin County....the only 1A teams in the state that can beat Wallace Rose-Hill and James Kenean is each other.....the 1AA title will reside in Duplin County once again mark it down

Reactions: vikingfan08
I'll take it.........but I stand by my word last two season the 1AA state championship has been the eastern final think it happens again this year....WRH and JK return the majority of their teams

It could very well happen. I watched the title game last year when WRH played Starmount. Starmount had nothing for them. But have to say Starmount was out coached and out played

I'm with Darkhorse. 3-100 is immaterial until someone in the 1A ranks proves they can compete with those top 2, much less beats them. I feel the gap was closed a little last year but still a gap there. Hopefully the west can do it this year. I can let you know my honest and unbiased opinion about WM's chances around October. ;)

They definitely got the top 2 right. I don't see anybody knocking them off anytime soon either. Hope I'm wrong but that's just my unbiased opinion........

No one in the west would have either if they had played Wallace or JK. No one is trying to take away from Robbinsville. But they were better last year in my opinion. We'll see this year.

I think that Plymouth or Robbinsville would have easily beaten Starmount and would have given WRH all they wanted. They may not have beaten them but it would for sure had been a closer game than it was . But that's why there is classifications. I'll take R'ville at 5th this year I'm good with that. Swain should be 3rd or 4th with what they have coming back

Starmount had trouble with WRH speed especially on the first 2 series. If the Rams score a TD before the half, who knows what happens.

Everyone has an opinion so I respect it.

They definitely got the top 2 right. I don't see anybody knocking them off anytime soon either. Hope I'm wrong but that's just my unbiased opinion........

Both James Kenan and Wallace Rose-Hill have earned all the respect that they are being given, but my question is what about Tarboro?

Nobody is even mentioning the Vikings, yet they too return a lot of players, and a very good JV team is moving up from what I've read?

The Vikings have yet to make the same impact as they did back in the 2A class, so will this be the year or not?As for the 1AA, have to tip my cap to the East because the last 3 state 1AA champs have all come from the East, and it has been 3 different teams that have won it which speaks to the power of the 1AA ranks in the East, all be it SW Onslow is now in the 2A class....

Can a 1AA Western team break the 3 year drought this year?

It's anybody's guess right now, but Wallace does hold all the cards at the moment with a host of talented players returning this year....

It will have to be West Mont. if anyone can do it. Swain has an outside chance.

Robbinsville and Swain are top 7.
Murphy 10 to 15.
Rosman 15 to 20th.
Cherokee around 30th.
Hayesville and Andrews 55th to 70th range.

This is where I think each team is at the beginnign of the season.

Starmount was down 21 with 11 minutes to go in the game and the coach decided to run the ball and make a drive that lasted 10 minutes and pretty much sealed their faith by taking that long to score. I know you got to stick with what got you there but come on it's the state championship give your kids a chance

And as far as Tarboro goes that big state streak they had in 2a and the reason they were so good, might have been the fact that Todd Gurley was their running back during that time lol.

Tarboro will be right in the hunt at the end of the season I can promise you that. We went to JK last year and gave them all they wanted. We had our chance just couldn't get it done. Next couple of years are going to put Tarboro right back on track for some championship runs. JK and WRH are the two largest 1AA schools around and should be good for a long time if they don't get moved up next alignment to 2A.

WRH is starting out with 4A laney then East Duplin then JK so they are going to find out quick how good or bad they are, having said that they bring up a undefeated jv team from last year so I think they will be tough but as everyone knows one key injury can sink the ship WRH definitely has the target on their back.

Not taking anything away from WRH or JK.... but isn't it telling that they are 2AA schools playing 1AA against schools that are borderline 1A? They are talented not doubt. But if you are making your bones beating up on schools much smaller than you shouldn't you just win and keep the hoopla level down. Robbinsville would have lost by 2 TDs to West Montgomery. It's the same ol' blah blah blah every year from R'ville. Step up and play someone out of the mountains. And don't even start about how many kids you have that benefit from the liberal attendance policy there. Apples to Apples WM is the best legitimate 1AA team in the state this year. WM will be 1AA next year if not 1A. WRH and JK are both moving up at LEAST one classification to 2A. Most likely 2AA. Robbinsville will continue to run rampant over schools with 200 kids while cherry picking the top local talent. Be proud Knights. Be proud.

SWO and East Bladen had very successful seasons in 2A with 1AA numbers....don't think ADM numbers determine the outcome of the game...Swain County beat Whiteville who has 2A numbers.....JK will be 2A next alignment Wallace is borderline....honestly believe no real talent gap between 2A in 1AA I think it's pretty even....Seen 1AA Thomasville shutout 2A Clinton 36-0 in 2006....Saw 2A Clinton walk the dog on eventual 1AA champ Wallace Rose Hill last year 35-7

And as far as Tarboro goes that big state streak they had in 2a and the reason they were so good, might have been the fact that Todd Gurley was their running back during that time lol.
Having Todd was a blessing for sure, but please don't discredit the accomplishments of others. Todd was a starter on two state championship teams (2010 and 11). However, the Vikings played for a state championship in 2008, won a state championship in 2009 and played for another in 2012 (which had better offensive numbers than any team in Tarboro HS history) without Todd.

People act if TG was the only person that came through our program, but please be reminded, Takoby Cofield (Duke and Washington Redskins), Tyquan Lewis (Ohio State and National Champion) and Lakevious Battle (Winston Salem State D2 National Runner Up) just to name a few.

We do not make any excuses here at Tarboro, we had two bad years by the standards that have been established. We will get back on our horse and continue to make the people of Tarboro and Edgecombe County proud.

Wish everyone the best of luck this season and Go Vikings

Wish they would do away with the big and little divisions. Wish they would be 6A, 5A, 4A on down instead of what they are doing now. No 2A and 2AA or 1A or 1AA Change the Alignment every 2 to 3 years. One champion for each A.

One champion for each would be great better match ups but you know some folk will cry about the ADM numbers difference between a AA school and a A school....the 1A playoffs are just sad no way some of those teams should be in the postseason

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
One champion for each would be great better match ups but you know some folk will cry about the ADM numbers difference between a AA school and a A school....the 1A playoffs are just sad no way some of those teams should be in the postseason

If we went to a 6A classification system it would be better to me. 6 state champions is enough 8 is just too many.

Cue Robbinsville........ They wouldn't make it past the 2nd round of a 16 team 1A & 1AA playoff combination. They beat up on the sub .500 teams, get their tails kicked by legit teams but crow louder than any on this board. Too bad they'll always have all of those titles to hang on to... competition has rendered them a non factor in modern high school football. Also, wasn't it a Robbinsville fan clamoring for the Western NC teams to abandon the NCHSAA and create their "own" champion??? LOL...... what a bunch of whiners....

BD still butthurt about our girls beating his girls out in hoops....SMH! First off, we play whoever will play us! These 200 kid schools we have to play because they are SMC schools. I mean when you have to pick up Charlotte Country Day and Dade Co. Tenn(which is 4 hrs away and 3A) What does that tell you?? I would love to just add another hour and drive on down to Mt Gilead and play yall. And get in a round of golf at that nice course over by the lake. lol!

BD still butthurt about our girls beating his girls out in hoops....SMH! First off, we play whoever will play us! These 200 kid schools we have to play because they are SMC schools. I mean when you have to pick up Charlotte Country Day and Dade Co. Tenn(which is 4 hrs away and 3A) What does that tell you?? I would love to just add another hour and drive on down to Mt Gilead and play yall. And get in a round of golf at that nice course over by the lake. lol!

Not hurt at all.... It's funny how we always hear how much you guys want to play other schools..... My advice is to try and schedule them. Never heard of anyone turning down that opportunity. Just that "no one will play us." Ask around... I'm sure that several schools will.

Well I think its funny that you pretend to know everything about what we do out here and your 5 hrs away! Why don't you come make our team a schedule, put Butler, Mallard Creek, Havelock, and Crest on it and just maybe that will suit you! Ive never seen anyone from here post about our "weak schedule". Its usually the other way around. Bigger schools don't want to play the Big 3 because they know the possibility of losing is there. And them losing to little bitty schools is very hazardous......etc! I respect your program and have never said one word about yall playing in a very weak conference so Im not sure where all your hostility and name calling is coming from.

Much respect for Robbinsville from me BlackCat. Don't worry, I got jumped on the other day and told one of my posts was embarrassing to the program. Go figure. I'll admit it, the last few years our conference has been down and it has hurt us when it matters the most. Maybe overconfidence sets in, IDK. I don't think that will be an issue this year with this group of kids and a large senior class, but we'll see. Best of luck in the SMC this year. Still has my respect as the best 1A conference in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT