ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy at Eastern Randolph

I’m hoping for a good game…but I think ER will be to much for Murphy…but I know you never count out a SMC team
I think this is a measuring stick game. I can almost guarantee that Eastern Randolph is the better team by a bit, but will the physicality that Murphy brings slow them down some. All depends on Murphy’s defense. If they are able to play better as a whole, this could be a very close game. Murphy doesn’t have a bad offense at all if the defense can just keep it close.

Interesting. ER's pass defense wasn't the greatest last night. However, a good portion of their attention was focused on slowing down Dula.

This Murphy team doesn’t really pound the ball. Their passing game is where they make money. Their backs can break some runs if they catch you sleeping.
Exactly. I guess people just assume because Murphy is a mountain team that they are plodding ball control football team. That's rarely ever been the case, even in the years that Murphy is more run heavy.

Exactly. I guess people just assume because Murphy is a mountain team that they are plodding ball control football team. That's rarely ever been the case, even in the years that Murphy is more run heavy.
I think what poster was trying to say was that’s the best way to beat ER. Keep ball away from offense. But might not have been. That’s the way I read anyway

but will the physicality that Murphy brings slow them down some.
This Murphy team lacks physicality, the o-line has been bullied in most games. This is the weakest o-line play of any Murphy team I can recall. If Murphy were getting typical Murphy line play this season I think they would probably give Eastern Randolph all they wanted but that's not been the case. If the same o-line blocking from Friday night shows up next week Murphy will be in for a long night. The Murphy line on both sides of the ball has got to come to play.

Last edited:
I think what poster was trying to say was that’s the best way to beat ER. Keep ball away from offense. But might not have been. That’s the way I read anyway
Well that may be true but Murphy's o-line isnt playing well enough to do that this season. The o-line got manhandled by Heritage most of the night last night and that's been true in pretty much any of their close games or losses they've had this season, besides the Swain game.

Murphy has good skill talent this year but the line play isnt what you would expect from a typical Murphy team on either side of the ball. Murphy's backs were being met at the LOS most of the night last night, doesnt matter what kind of skill people you have or don't have if the line isnt getting any push or opening up holes.

Last edited:
Well that describes Robbinsville more. They do have 2 really physical backs that just soon hit you as out run you. Their defense is better than Murphy. Their downfall is just not dynamic enough at the QB position.

After playing Rabun County earlier this season, Murphy won’t be shocked or intimidated by ER or anything ER throws at them. If the Dogs can play a clean game (by protecting the ball, forcing a few turnovers, not killing themselves with silly penalties, doing the little things well, etc) then they can stay in this game and maybe have a chance to steal it late.

All that said, I think ER wins, but wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t. It’s hard to knock out a defending champion.

After playing Rabun County earlier this season, Murphy won’t be shocked or intimidated by ER or anything ER throws at them. If the Dogs can play a clean game (by protecting the ball, forcing a few turnovers, not killing themselves with silly penalties, doing the little things well, etc) then they can stay in this game and maybe have a chance to steal it late.

All that said, I think ER wins, but wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t. It’s hard to knock out a defending champion.
I agree with you. Those seniors have been on 2 championship teams so they will come to play. ER looks to be to much for the dogs but I do expect a good game.

Playing Rabun County does help in the sense that Murphy won't be in awe of the size, speed or talent of ER, Murphy has already played a team that's better than anything in the NC 1A division by a long shot.

The bottomline for Murphy is it comes down to their line showing up and the team playing disciplined football, too often plagued by the penalty bug this season but they did well in that regard Friday night, if they can do that again next week then that's half the equation. The other half is for the Murphy lines to play like traditional Murphy lines.

My gut says Murphy will either give Eastern Randolph all they want or they will get drug, I dont see any in between, this game will either be close or it will be a blowout in ER's favor. It's up to Murphy's seniors to set the tone and bring the physicality that's been missing most of the year next Friday.

Last edited:
Playing Rabun County does help in the sense that Murphy won't be in awe of the size, speed or talent of ER, Murphy has already played a team that's better than anything in the NC 1A division by a long shot.

The bottomline for Murphy is it comes down to their line showing up and the team playing disciplined football, too often plagued by the penalty bug this season but they did well in that regard Friday night, if they can do that again next week then that's half the equation. The other half is for the Murphy lines to play like traditional Murphy lines.

My gut says Murphy will either give Eastern Randolph all they want or they will get drug, I dont see any in between, this game will either be close or it will be a blowout in ER's favor. It's up to Murphy's seniors to set the tone and bring the physicality that's been missing most of the year next Friday.
Agree. IMO the first qtr will likely tell us how this game will go. Dogs need to come out of the gate fast and not fall behind by more than a TD early. If they fall behind by two or three scores quickly, then it will probably be a long and sad night (especially for the seniors).

Should be a great game between two great programs. Lots of similarities, both very physical, well coached, great communities, just what it’s all about. ER will have to play better than last night, you could tell that week off got them off sync. But hats off to Draughn they came to play and the QB had a great game, some throws I had not seen him make in previous games and the wr’s made some strong catches. Murphy will bring that running attack with the passing off it. My favorite offense in the state honestly. Just love it. What a game it’s going to be. Just like many around the state. What it’s all about. Got to love it for these kids enjoying this time.

I wish they'd have gone East tbh
You know I'm kinda surprised they didn't, being on the bubble like they are because the West has 55 and the East 52 teams. I would understand if being in the east left them out of a conference but they're in the same conference they've been in I believe. The rest are in the west but all but one is 2A so that should matter.

You know I'm kinda surprised they didn't, being on the bubble like they are because the West has 55 and the East 52 teams. I would understand if being in the east left them out of a conference but they're in the same conference they've been in I believe. The rest are in the west but all but one is 2A so that should matter.
West and east are predetermined for next four years

West and east are predetermined for next four years
Yeah I know. I was referring to when they was working on the realignment for 2021-25 they did serval drafts and adjustments so with the West having 3 more schools overall and 3 more in football I just wouldn't have been surprised if they had put ER in the East since they have in the past sometimes when they were doing A AA.

Reactions: thekidd12
Yeah Eastern Randolph has always been like Richmond. Teetering right on the border of going west or going east. I just wish Eastern Randolph went East from a competition and competitive standpoint

We don’t want to upset Tarboros cupcake walk to the ship by having them play somebody early
Do you realize that in 3 years of being of this forum, you have never contributed anything of substance to the community? Literally every post you make is either a sarcastic jab at another team, or you are whining about the plight of Robbinsville. Go elsewhere man.

We don’t want to upset Tarboros cupcake walk to the ship by having them play somebody early
Rent free. Also once again not tarboro's fault. I don't know why you have such a hatred towards tarboro we don't bother anybody in our little town we play who is on our schedule. If you want us in 2a call the nchsaa because I promise you nobody in the town of tarboro will complain if we actually play good teams on the way to a championship game. In the five consecutive years tarboro played for the State title in 2a we played plenty of good teams on the way to those state championship games. So do everyone on this forum a favor and take your toxicity somewhere else.

Rent free. Also once again not tarboro's fault. I don't know why you have such a hatred towards tarboro we don't bother anybody in our little town we play who is on our schedule. If you want us in 2a call the nchsaa because I promise you nobody in the town of tarboro will complain if we actually play good teams on the way to a championship game. In the five consecutive years tarboro played for the State title in 2a we played plenty of good teams on the way to those state championship games. So do everyone on this forum a favor and take your toxicity somewhere else.
I don't get the 2A thing concerning Tarboro out of the 16 teams left 8 are larger then Tarboro.

Exactly what I thought

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Yeah I know. I was referring to when they was working on the realignment for 2021-25 they did serval drafts and adjustments so with the West having 3 more schools overall and 3 more in football I just wouldn't have been surprised if they had put ER in the East since they have in the past sometimes when they were doing A AA.
What are numbers in 2A east/west? Rest of PAC7 (except for charter) is 2A. Wonder if that would have tipped more teams east in that classification?

What are numbers in 2A east/west? Rest of PAC7 (except for charter) is 2A. Wonder if that would have tipped more teams east in that classification?
2A is even 53-53 so I can only assume maybe if the majority of the conference is in the East or West then everyone is put on that side so I guess that might be the reason ER is in the West. Just seems if you can have split conferences as far as classification then you could have them split in wether they're in the east or west since they won't be in the same playoffs. But that maybe to confusing.

Reactions: thekidd12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT