ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy vs Draughn Western 1A Finals

Purple1995, and others from Mitchell.
Is Draughn that good and has Mount Airy got an even chance with them?
MA is the team Mitchell faced last year but really focused and disciplined and a better team this year. Y'all played them twice this year and you should know their weaknesses.
MA blew Draughn out last year at Draughn. Question is.....has Draughn gotten that much better. MA has especially on D and Offense can score in one play.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
C'mon Odell & Buzz...let's hug it out and talk BEAR football. Tis the season to be jolly! All WHC fans and NWest 1A fans should be celebrating that for the 2nd year in a row, we are playing for the WESTERN CHAMPIONSHIP and the right to lose to Tarboro..LOL!!!
MA didn't play for Western championship last year got beat 4 the rd.

MA blew Draughn out last year at Draughn. Question is.....has Draughn gotten that much better. MA has especially on D and Offense can score in one play.
Here’s the difference:
Draughns playing really good football right now. The team is the same team from last year with a few new pieces. MA shouldn’t take them lightly or consider their game last year as a gauge. They have big wins and to be in round 5 means your playing good football

Nobody is taking them lightly. You just beat the smc champion. MA is preparing for a good game. Playing Ashe will be a help in playing the passing game. Already tough up front on run. They will be prepared for both
Not to beat a dead horse but the big difference between ash and draughn is the QBs ability to run. Link below from last nights highlights

Tr
Here’s the difference:
Draughns playing really good football right now. The team is the same team from last year with a few new pieces. MA shouldn’t take them lightly or consider their game last year as a gauge. They have big wins and to be in round 5 means your playing good football
A few new pieces lol I guess you have the Transfer portal going on. That’s how you explain going from nothing to something. You didn’t work hard you just brought in players.

Watching Andrews game on FYN TV app on TV. Draughn goes to Dula alot. Big up front. Don't play both ways but with few players. Like a 2A school. QB good can run too. MA better come to play....and I'm sure they will. Draughn fans I hope y'all like Ric Flair and Enter Sandman.
After watching the QB against Mitchell and last night he's seems more dangerous when he running around in the backfield compared to just dropping back and passing it. I've seen him miss when able to drop back with no pressure but be very accurate passing while running from pressure plus if you don't contain him and tackle him at the line scrimmage with them long legs can run for a lot of yards in a short time.

Draughn (13-1) — now the first team in county history to reach a baker’s dozen in wins — is the first Burke team to reach the state semifinals since Freedom in 2012, though that 3A squad needed one fewer win to reach the round in a subdivided format. No Burke team has played for a state title of any kind since the 1967 Glen Alpine team reached the 2A western finals in an era when the ultimate championships in the state were awarded for regional winners.

This BIG for Draughn - Good luck vs MT Airy

I’m taking MA tho by 14

Watched some of the Draughn - Andrews game. MA is going to have to get pressure on the QB. It looked like Andrews couldn’t get any pressure on him and he was able to just stand back there in a clean pocket all night.

I think MA has more speed than Andrews
So they might have more successes getting pressure on the QB. Draughns offense looks similar to East Surry and MA defended that well.

It looks to me both teams are evenly matched. Should be a tight game.

The seeding played out pretty well and close.
East Finals #1 Tarboro vs #3 Rosewood
West Finals #4 Moint Airy vs #6 Draughn

They had Mount Airy at #2 in the west for a few weeks. I thought all along that is where they should have stayed., but they still had to travel once and still won. I am hoping they win at home next week. I have a god feeling they will win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearfan71
Number 32 could be difference maker in this game for Mt Airy seems to be playing right down his alley that's reason I ask earlier if he was same Qb for Draughn the first game he kept him on his backside whole game I know that's then and this is now but just saying

Dang let us enjoy tonight
Thanks Buzz! Let us enjoy tonight.
Buzz, it is going to be a good game and it will be a HUGE mistake by Mount Airy to compare last year's team to this year's team. I expect a good ol' fashion slobber knocker!

Reactions: FormerDog38
I wouldn't believe that Mt Airy coaches will consider last years game for a second.
Mitchell beat them 62-14 last year. I realize that Mitchell wasn't the same team as last year especially on defense but they wasn't down so much that Draughn didn't have to improve immensely to win like they have and from the looks of the Andrews game they're ability to move the ball wasn't just because of Mitchell D having a off year.
No matter who wins I'd be surprised unless one team just makes a lot of mistakes that one team will blow out the other....but I've been wrong before 😉

This is a different Draughn team. From what I am hearing from freinds I have in Morganton they had about 5 linemen transferred from Freedom and Patton. Look at them up front and they are huge. Very different up front.
5 linemen transferred in? You may want to fact check your friends😂
1 lineman transferred in. The rest have been there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT