ADVERTISEMENT

Metro 4A Conference Play

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
For many years, the Metro 4A conference has been perceived as weak. And for many years it was a very bottom heavy conference. The conference has seen some teams come and go and, lately, the current alignment seems to be the strongest its been in a while. Programs like Grimsley, SE Guilford, NW Guilford, and SW Guilford have strengthened over the past 5-6 years, and the addition of N Guilford from the 3A ranks has been a nice addition. According to two ratings systems, Simmons and Calpreps, The Metro is currently rated the 6th best conference in the State of NC. To compare, the CPC is 7th in Simmons, and tied with the Metro on Calpreps.

(26.2) Grimsley (3-0): National rank #743 - (SoS: 5.6)
-vs-
(18.1) SE Guilford (3-0): National rank #1302 - (SoS: -5.6)

(13.7) NW Guilford (2-1): National rank #1751 - (SoS: 4.3)
-vs-
(-43.8) W Guilford (0-3): National rank #12106 - (SoS: -25.5)

(10.5) N Guilford (2-1): National rank #2136 - (SoS: -12.1)
-vs-
(-28.1) Ragsdale (0-3): National rank #9691 - (SoS: -6.8)

(7.3) Page (1-2): National rank #2583 - (SoS: 15.6)
-vs-
(-6.0) SW Guilford (2-1): National rank #5341 - (SoS: -19.2)

Grimsley is the highest rated (26.2) team in the conference. Page has had the toughest non conference schedule strength (15.6) by a 10 point margin, the 2nd toughest is Grimsley's at (5.6).
The conference features 5 teams in or around the top 2500 nationally.

The toughest game to call this week is SE Guilford's clash with Grimsley. Both teams are 3-0.
Page travels down to High Point to take on SW Guilford. SW is probably a slight favorite playing at home, but Page has played a much tougher schedule.
N Guilford should be able to take care of Ragsdale, as Northern has been able to beat up on weaker opponents this season so far.
Northwest should have no problem with rival Western this week. Western is just at the beginning phases of a build.

1. Grimsley
2. Southeast
3. Northwest
4. Page
5. Northern
6. Southwest
7. Ragsdale
8. Western

Based on current ratings, this is how the conference will end up. The games are played on the field and not on paper. I think 2-4 is a toss up. Northern and Southwest with fighters chances to spoil the teams penciled in the 2-4 spots.

Still a weak conference overall. Grimsley step out and play someone worth mentioning in non conference
That won’t happen! They will continue to play the familiar teams on the schedule they will most likely beat. If they start losing during the regular season it could hurt their recruiting in the city and they know that.

Last edited:
JV Scores

Page 42, Southwest Guilford 0 Final
Page(3-1)/SWG(1-3)
Northern Guilford 39, Ragsdale 6 Final
NG(4-0)/Ragsdale(1-3)
Northwest Guilford 50, Western Guilford 14 Final
NWG(3-1)/WG(1-2)
Grimsley 36, Southeast Guilford 8 Final
Grimsley(2-1)/SEG(2-2)

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
Friday Night Projections

Grimsley 28, SE Guilford 20
N Guilford 48, Ragsdale 21
Page 31, SW Guilford 14
NW Guilford 62, W Guilford 0

Good coaches try their best showcase their players talent. Grimsley’s ‘weak’ non-conference schedule always plays a Forsyth quality opponent like East and Reagan, and a Triangle area team: Knightdale and Clayton. It helps your kids when they play in the backyards of D1 Big Four programs.

It also gives coaches who aspire to late round playoffs to have film on their opponents’ opponents. Clayton had already played teams like Rolesville while Pinecrest plays in the SE 4A area.
If your non-conference schedule are all mid-level 4A teams, then I’d say that’s pretty strong and the Calpreps rating attests to that.

Only thing I see weak here is somebody’s sauce.

Friday Night Projections

Grimsley 28, SE Guilford 20
N Guilford 48, Ragsdale 21
Page 31, SW Guilford 14
NW Guilford 62, W Guilford 0
Those scores look right on the money, Mister Pirate, but thinking Grimsley may enjoy the pastures of Endzoneville more frequently than the twenty eight visits...
P.S. Good luck to Page. . This may be the closest game of the four.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Lol no envy of them! I follow all of them but there is one I follow the most!

Lol no envy of them! I follow all of them but there is one I follow the most!That
The objective of my previous inquiry was to narrow your fav team to one entity unless its a top secret thang. Perhaps with all the underground findings , secret flip phone conversations , and secret codes via smoke signals from Pleasant Garden to north Church Street, one could disclose their favourite squad. These smoke signals are transmitted via a basketball size hole in the top of a tee pee, the tee pee's exact location shall not be disclosed because of tourists that would hassle the breath from the occupant , mostly wanting to borrow sea shells and to autograph their cousins breasts and buttocks for a photo shoot for How To Grow and Cultivate Collards In Fifteen Easy, But Costly, Lessons magazine, a quarterly periodical. .

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣 that was in depth and no it’s not page, although I used to coach basketball there years ago. Not top secret but I’m a coach.

🤣🤣🤣 that was in depth and no it’s not page, although I used to coach basketball there years ago. Not top secret but I’m a coach.
Since you're an ex resident of Alma Pinnix, that explains your disdain, with a little love/hate syndrome with the Westover Terrace/Benjamin Parkway area. I hope your time there didn't cause any long lasting effects on your psyche or your coaching abilities. Thank you for spending time, mostly thankless time, with our youth and hopefully you'll have a positive effect on their lives. The student/athletes need that now more than ever.

I miss the days of the eight or nine team conferences instead of these five team deals. You would play seven or eight conference games, and two or three big shot non conference games. There's always a tie for first, etc., in these small/split conferences, and then the tie breakers come into play. Who scored the most points, who allowed the fewest, who has the most back yard goats, who has the purdiest moped, or who has the most farworks stored in their outbuilding/outhouse....

Reactions: cimsies
A hit dog sure will holler, won't he! lol Some feathers were definitely ruffled in here

I’m more of a grimsley guy if I had to choose. My daughter went there for two years. I know A few coaches there.

my time at the shop only made me want to prove some points! I dont really dislike them but

I apprecIate it and I dont teach HS anymore but with what I do plus coaching I have a huge impact on the youth.

2Q/Halftime Scores
Ragsdale 23, N Guilford 15 2Q
Page 0, SW Guilford 0 Half
Grimsley 14, SE Guilford 0 2Q

Looks as if Cam for SE is hurt and not dressed out for the second half, huge loss for them.

• Sad
Reactions: LC3III
SW led in almost every statistical category again and lost by 3 again, a la Oak Grove. It seems like they are being out coached, because those boys are putting a great product on the field. SW practiced the slant (saw that was a weakness vs Tabor), didn't throw a single one. Page coaching staff opened up the playbook and utilized every aspect in their tool box to win this one. The fake punt was genius. Great job!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT