ADVERTISEMENT

King leaves Havelock

Post from someone involved in the coaching search....

"This has been a very long and draining process. There have been MANY applications for the job. The #1 reason there has not been a hire yet, the salary for this job in Craven County is much lower than the rest of the state. We have 1A schools who’s football coach makes more than ours. For the same reason Coach King left, is the same reason we can’t find someone worthy to mentor our athletes. Who would give up their families prosperity for THOUSANDS less? We should be able to sustain good teachers and coaches in this county. It’s time for change and the public is the only one who can make that happen. Get involved, ask the admin question, put pressure on those who make the important decisions that involve our student athletes and their futures!!!!!"

Post from someone involved in the coaching search....

"This has been a very long and draining process. There have been MANY applications for the job. The #1 reason there has not been a hire yet, the salary for this job in Craven County is much lower than the rest of the state. We have 1A schools who’s football coach makes more than ours. For the same reason Coach King left, is the same reason we can’t find someone worthy to mentor our athletes. Who would give up their families prosperity for THOUSANDS less? We should be able to sustain good teachers and coaches in this county. It’s time for change and the public is the only one who can make that happen. Get involved, ask the admin question, put pressure on those who make the important decisions that involve our student athletes and their futures!!!!!"

The only thing we would accomplish would be getting those in the county office another raise. It's the good old boys club there with those and the BOE. Hard to break it with all the Democrats in craven county.

The intrigue is killing me. Can't wait to see who follows the legacy of JBB and Caleb King.

Havelock Booster club is saying a hire has been made while the Touchdown Club states otherwise. This whole thing has been something.

Wouldn't that be a little underwhelming? As I say that, not sure it really matters with the talent and the assistants on staff.

Safe to say not the first choice, but once again, Craven money stopped other candidates from coming. None the less, a good coach.

The better the Jimmy's and Joe's you have, the better coach you are. Havelock will continue to be very good as long as the work ethic those kids have is there.

The better the Jimmy's and Joe's you have, the better coach you are. Havelock will continue to be very good as long as the work ethic those kids have is there.

Havelock has a great program but it is discerning how difficult it has been for them because of the Craven County funding or lack thereof. Football is a huge source of income for the sports programs at high schools. It bothers me when the county seems to not care about sports in the county schools. So many of our counties kid's have used sports as a way to attend college and even move to the Pro's. For many of these kid's they may be the first in their family to be able to attend college. Yet so many times the school will steal athletic funds to spend in other areas. However when election time comes the very same BOE members will be re-elected again and the same crap will continue to happen. Good coaches like JBB and Caleb will move to South Carolina or Georgia where they can get paid like most other States pay. NC will continue to be NC.

Good coaches like JBB and Caleb will move to South Carolina or Georgia where they can get paid like most other States pay. NC will continue to be NC.

Remember, JBB went to Morganton Freedom first.

Correct, to get away from the Superintendent of Craven County. The point of his post is still accurate.

As Steelers71 wrote the pay was much better but you are correct he was disappointed with the system and pay plus financial support was a big part of that disappointment. He was looking at SC jobs at that time, also. Do not think Georgia had ever came into the equation at that point.

That's true too. It's amazing how good the programs in Craven county have been over the years when they don't pay to keep coaches. I know somebody offered the job at Lexington recently who said the financial package was over 10k for football. Not including the extra month of pay making it 11 month. Why won't Craven support their coaches? They do so much for the kids.

Reactions: btango
It often is not how much a coach is being paid but what are the other perks and benefits. The list of those items is endless. Often what type of employment, income, and benefits that are available to the spouse is a major contributor or sticking point.

Reactions: Steelers71
That's true too. It's amazing how good the programs in Craven county have been over the years when they don't pay to keep coaches. I know somebody offered the job at Lexington recently who said the financial package was over 10k for football. Not including the extra month of pay making it 11 month. Why won't Craven support their coaches? They do so much for the kids.

I have never understood why a system and community do not realize a successful athletic program can be a positive difference maker for the student body and certain students specifically. Not just football although football is the sport that will generate the most money and attention.

Reactions: ncjeff and Otis4411
Correct, to get away from the Superintendent of Craven County. The point of his post is still accurate.

Doyle was hired the first of Aug in 2016. JBB had already gotten in a bit of trouble over an incident at JH Rose with a Rose player. I want there and didn't see it so that is the extent I can say about that. But the week of our game with Havelock in 2016 he started complaining to the county office and our coaches about not having room for his staff and him in our press box. West Craven was not going to bend over backwards to make more room for him. We had 1 coach up there and all Havelock would have room for was one coach. Doyle told him that. He then started threatening to rent a lift and bring to West Craven. He would not be allowed on the track with it but was saying he would set it behind the visitors stand and he would get on that. His fans were a distraction.
Come game time he went to the head ref after they came onto the field and complained to him saying they had been denyed access to the press box which was not true. The head ref had no idea the superitendant had already dealt with this. He told our AD to fix the issue and in the process he took 5 minutes off the pregame clock. I never heard why but we failed to notice and get word to the coaches in the field house. Our team missed the national anthem over that. It was embarrassing as Havelock is a military community that a lot of Vanceboro people work there. The AD called Doyle and she was able to handle it and told both schools to be at her office on Monday. She told JBB to get on his sideline like our head coach and shut his mouth. He ended up in the stands on West Craven's side behind the student section. My daughter was in high school and texted me that JBB was right behind her. I'm always in the endzone so I called her and told her she better not bother him and to pay him no mind. I told her to make sure her friends left him alone. I figured he was trying to bait the students to get something started. JBB was a piece of work. The relations between our schools was getting terrible and it had always been good before him. Even in the 70's we got along like sister schools and they were beating us 70-0 back then. It had nothing to do with losing.
We were glad to see him go and I felt sure King would keep it rolling. It's a shame things have turned out like they have with pay in NC. Doyle is making a mistake not looking out for the money sports at our high schools. We have to be competitive with our neighboring states.

Doyle was hired the first of Aug in 2016. JBB had already gotten in a bit of trouble over an incident at JH Rose with a Rose player. I want there and didn't see it so that is the extent I can say about that. But the week of our game with Havelock in 2016 he started complaining to the county office and our coaches about not having room for his staff and him in our press box. West Craven was not going to bend over backwards to make more room for him. We had 1 coach up there and all Havelock would have room for was one coach. Doyle told him that. He then started threatening to rent a lift and bring to West Craven. He would not be allowed on the track with it but was saying he would set it behind the visitors stand and he would get on that. His fans were a distraction.
Come game time he went to the head ref after they came onto the field and complained to him saying they had been denyed access to the press box which was not true. The head ref had no idea the superitendant had already dealt with this. He told our AD to fix the issue and in the process he took 5 minutes off the pregame clock. I never heard why but we failed to notice and get word to the coaches in the field house. Our team missed the national anthem over that. It was embarrassing as Havelock is a military community that a lot of Vanceboro people work there. The AD called Doyle and she was able to handle it and told both schools to be at her office on Monday. She told JBB to get on his sideline like our head coach and shut his mouth. He ended up in the stands on West Craven's side behind the student section. My daughter was in high school and texted me that JBB was right behind her. I'm always in the endzone so I called her and told her she better not bother him and to pay him no mind. I told her to make sure her friends left him alone. I figured he was trying to bait the students to get something started. JBB was a piece of work. The relations between our schools was getting terrible and it had always been good before him. Even in the 70's we got along like sister schools and they were beating us 70-0 back then. It had nothing to do with losing.
We were glad to see him go and I felt sure King would keep it rolling. It's a shame things have turned out like they have with pay in NC. Doyle is making a mistake not looking out for the money sports at our high schools. We have to be competitive with our neighboring states.

Yea I heard that story. I think everyone has a JBB story. Doyle didn't back down, gotta give her that.

Rumor had it he was only going to stay in the NC system one more year when he went to Morganton. Don't know if that was true, but it sure turned out that way.

Yea that was right. Word was he needed another year in NC but if my memory is right someone disputed that. But he only stayed that one year sooooo.............

Alan Wooten will be the new coach of Havelock. He's been at Greene Central for the last six years, compiling a 39-34 record.

It's been a long winter for Havelock. Hopefully the new coach can hit the ground running. He is already familiar with the remaining staff at Havelock. (brother) Should be a smooth transition.

Rumor had it he was only going to stay in the NC system one more year when he went to Morganton. Don't know if that was true, but it sure turned out that way.

When Jim Bob took the job and moved to Morganton it was not a one year plan. They were all in once the decision was made to move there. Freedom had three coaches in five seasons. JBB and one other left for out of state before their only school year was complete. The other stayed three seasons.

I think Jim Bob left NC with 21 years in the system. He was working on completing his 20th year when he left Havelock. First year was 1996-97 I believe. He was speaking with some SC schools but thought he would be the next HC at Mooresville. I think if he got that job he would have stayed awhile. Mid $80k and the single high school city system looks after their people. Coach they selected left after one year for Concord.

When Jim Bob took the job and moved to Morganton it was not a one year plan. They were all in once the decision was made to move there. Freedom had three coaches in five seasons. JBB and one other left for out of state before their only school year was complete. The other stayed three seasons.

I think Jim Bob left NC with 21 years in the system. He was working on completing his 20th year when he left Havelock. First year was 1996-97 I believe. He was speaking with some SC schools but thought he would be the next HC at Mooresville. I think if he got that job he would have stayed awhile. Mid $80k and the single high school city system looks after their people. Coach they selected left after one year for Concord.

Btango what was being told at the time JBB left Havelock was that he needed to stay instate 1 more year. That comes from the same round of sources I've been hearing about Wooten for the last couple of weeks. I trust that source to be pretty good. Then JBB leaves after 1 year so it seems mighty solid. In fact I think I stated that after he took the Freedom job but I'm not 100% sure if I did. I know me and Fb is my life discussed it between us. We share info a lot as well as sources

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT