ADVERTISEMENT

Hough

I think the biggest issue most have with Hough is most of these guys that transfer in already have offers n stars so Hough doesn’t do “much” I mean idk what value Hough bring bc I’m not at Hough or inside but when u already have 10 D1 offers n 4 star as a player idk what Hough can add to that that u don’t already have

Just ex : That royal kid - He a 8th grader - He already have college interests and I think he may have few offer I could be wrong and I think he regard as one top QB in NC on website so I mean Talent is talent some have it some don’t

If Hough used Homegrown talent which most of Hough players aren’t - if they used hometown talent n actually build them up with maybe 2-3 transfers only then that’s different but when u get at least 4-5 guys that are already D1 then it doesn’t mean as much
The thing I've noticed about Hough is they are perennially good, but really have nothing in the way of championships to show for it. I thought it was interesting last year when the Charlotte area portal school (Hough) met the Greensboro area portal school (Grimsley) in the playoffs. So add in the Forsyth county portal school (East Forsyth), it becomes an interesting three way fight in the playoffs.

You sound like a parent or coach. Wouldn't send my dog to Hough. Put kids wherever you want to. They don't know what a team is and never will. They been doing this for over a decade and can't win anything. Lol the coach should be fired and AD should be let go for allowing this bs to even be happening. Name one that is actually doing anything at the next level lol. Maybe one? Btw I know the program with great knowledge, as my college teammate kid was there
You claim to be in the know, but you really don't. You mention fire the coach, someone in the know would know that they just got a new head coach this year and the AD just got there last year. Also if you know as much as you say you do (they don't know what a team is and never will - LOL, guess you're a profit now too) , you would have to be inside the program and according to you, you wouldn't be so you can take all that hearsay that you have and share it where someone doesn't know the truth. Sounds like someone maybe couldn't compete there that you know and you're a little sour and its ok. Wouldn't send your dog there huh, pretty serious hate there buddy! I get it though, those who don't have anything hate against those that do!

To one of the posts above, its not all about getting coaches to come through the school, that was just a response to our Hough expert 87SwO that says they dont come to the practices. These kids get good exposure there and that is a big part of it. Of course its about a ring, but it also about their future.

Nah, Kareem pushed to go to LA and was the cog of that run. Wilt pushed to go to LA. Shaq pushed to go to LA. That's not some great GM, its being in the 2nd biggest market with the 2nd best weather making it the best basketball market in the NBA which it is still today.

Players had input then like they do now. The BIG difference is more teams, less parity, and players exercising free agency and not feeling bad about it.
The majority of those guys listed, came after Kareem. Not the same in my opinion. Dr. Buss was the owner operator. Lakers won 10 Larry O'brien trophies under his leadership and missing the playoffs a whopping 2 times. The guy is listed arguably as one of the greatest owners in the History of professional sports. Their success was through him, not guys calling each other off season, saying let's play together.

Last edited:
Reactions: mpj2k8
I remember when Maye tried to return to Hough, from Myers Park. They had already committed to Tad Hudson. He was serviceable. I don’t ever see him being the guy for the Heels.
Good arm but just don't see it happening either.

He wont be the day 1 starter. He'll have to sit behind the rising junion for 2 years, similar to how he did for Tad. Pretty talented kid with offers from UAB and Arkansas but needs to get bigger and stronger.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
As for Hough, they are more talented naturally than Lake Norman and Mooresville. No comparison. They will always be a factor, but not a state title contender. To me they'd do better with less transfers and more development.,

Right

the impression is an emphasis on transfers

it's like they're trying to turn in to Buford High School(Georgia). That formula wont work for them.
Except, it is working. Hough has an 80% winning percentage over the last 5 seasons. No rings, but I didnt get a ring either in HS and I've still managed to keep going 30 years later. I'd take an 80% winning percentage in picking stocks, winning arguments with my girl, etc.

The "transfers" are getting the exposure theyre seeking. The Hough/Chambers semi's from 2 seasons ago has 181K views on Youtube.

The "homegrown" players are going up against power 5 talent in the weight room everyday and honing their skills against top talent on the practice field. These kids are getting D2 and D3 opportunities that likely wouldnt have been there otherwise.

All successful teams now have transfers. Hough isnt a following a different formula. Its the way the world works now. You're not going to sit at the same desk for 50 years for the same employer, then retire and collect a pension. You're going to network and get on Linkedin every so often and find the best opportunity for you. We're all trying to maximize our opportunities now instead of just hoping they'll be there in the future. Let's not go crazy when we see it happening in HS football.

Except, it is working. Hough has an 80% winning percentage over the last 5 seasons. No rings, but I didnt get a ring either in HS and I've still managed to keep going 30 years later. I'd take an 80% winning percentage in picking stocks, winning arguments with my girl, etc.

The "transfers" are getting the exposure theyre seeking. The Hough/Chambers semi's from 2 seasons ago has 181K views on Youtube.

The "homegrown" players are going up against power 5 talent in the weight room everyday and honing their skills against top talent on the practice field. These kids are getting D2 and D3 opportunities that likely wouldnt have been there otherwise.

All successful teams now have transfers. Hough isnt a following a different formula. Its the way the world works now. You're not going to sit at the same desk for 50 years for the same employer, then retire and collect a pension. You're going to network and get on Linkedin every so often and find the best opportunity for you. We're all trying to maximize our opportunities now instead of just hoping they'll be there in the future. Let's not go crazy when we see it happening in HS football.
My point was the bolded, nothing to do with exposure or getting kids into college. I think that's a great thing, and if they hang their hats on that, it's a great mark of success, but the rings will be elusive.

He said turning Hough into Buford is not working. Buford reached the State Championship 13 times in 15 seasons. Winning 10 State Championships. Also, if a kid has Power 5 offers, he's not going to get more because he transferred to Hough. Comparing working for a company for 50 years and transferring to new schools is somewhat skewed. Kids who consistently look for the perfect fit in High School become portal kids in college. Over half the kids who put their names in the College Football portal, don't find a team. Shopping around for the perfect fit in High School football, is not necessarily maximizing your opportunity. IJS! I'd take an 80% winning percentage picking stocks all day before the 80% winning in High School football. They're not the same. :)

Last edited:
A lot in sports has to do with the number of rings you have, no question, but one of the main differences in Buford and Hough (among others like facilities and $), is that Hough doesn't get players that are already 4-5 star kids like Buford does, (i.e., Dylan Raiola). Everyone around the program knows that a recent 4 star that came in is questionable at best. If we are all being honest, if there were not transfers into some of these schools, they most likely don't win some of if not all these state championships. I have a lot of insight to kids around the Charlotte area. Chambers is a perfect example of that. Nobody talks about them like they do Hough, but they dont win or get to state without theirs. If a kid and/or their parents want them to be at a certain school to get what they feel is a better opportunity, why not?

Also, here is a good article on the teams in the state.. https://www.maxpreps.com/news/58iDl...h-school-football-programs-of-last-decade.htm

Hough is the highest ranked team with no ring. Every team wants that, but what I can tell you is that the philosophy has been more about getting these kids a free education. Sucks to not have the ring, but there are not many schools in NC that have put more kids in college than Hough, whether it be transfers or not.

A lot in sports has to do with the number of rings you have, no question, but one of the main differences in Buford and Hough (among others like facilities and $), is that Hough doesn't get players that are already 4-5 star kids like Buford does, (i.e., Dylan Raiola). Everyone around the program knows that a recent 4 star that came in is questionable at best. If we are all being honest, if there were not transfers into some of these schools, they most likely don't win some of if not all these state championships. I have a lot of insight to kids around the Charlotte area. Chambers is a perfect example of that. Nobody talks about them like they do Hough, but they dont win or get to state without theirs. If a kid and/or their parents want them to be at a certain school to get what they feel is a better opportunity, why not?

Also, here is a good article on the teams in the state.. https://www.maxpreps.com/news/58iDl...h-school-football-programs-of-last-decade.htm

Hough is the highest ranked team with no ring. Every team wants that, but what I can tell you is that the philosophy has been more about getting these kids a free education. Sucks to not have the ring, but there are not many schools in NC that have put more kids in college than Hough, whether it be transfers or not.
Only thing I will agree with u is - All team have won state titles on past has had transfers on them like Chambers , Indy , west Rowan and such n also I’ll agree We do talk about Hough more then any other school in the CLT metro but usually it isn’t bc they are Great it’s bc of the transfers

Hough usual gets 3-4 star guys so Buford is different animal anyway - They a powerhouse , they are in GA one of the best state for sports and many other reasons

Yes winning 80% is very good but Not winning when it matters suck. Ex - We talk about Jordan all the time bc we has won championship after championship in Basketball but U hardly ever hear anyone talk about Dan Moreno - He prob the Best player to ever play to never win a ship but he isn’t talked about like Jordan or Brady or Montana so Championships are important

Who were the impact transfers that helped Chambers win a ship? Sure Chambers got some transfers but they lost a bunch of good ones too. The majority of the ship teams were homegrown talent. Same for MC. IMHO MC struggled more when they started going the transfer QB route.

Now compare those transfers to Hough and the type of transfers Hough gets. The thing noe one wants to say is that there is a an under current that pushes/contacts people to attend Hough. If a player/family transfers so be it. but there are other factors that go on with Hough then simple transferring.

Reactions: nepsy7

Outside of possibly Grimsley in Greensboro, Hough is different than every program in the State of North Carolina. The roster consists of 60% to 70% of their starters that came from other programs prior to them arriving. Vance/Chambers 1st State Championships was won with majority of homegrowns. Hell, Chambers beat the Creek the last 2 years in a row, with Creek players. 2021, 4 of their starters on defense played at the Creek the previous year. Last year, WR Booker who scored against the Creek twice came from the Creek. Loading your roster up with transfers is not the way, IMO! Bailey road middle school parents aren't complaining about the opportunities at Hough, because of the way they build within. No program in the State can recruit new guys to the program like they do. They can give a seminar on how it works. Bar none, they're the best. They're also not sniffing a Championship or having a 80% winning record without a loaded number of new guys. You are who you are. Own it! I'm a fulltime Creek guy. We've made some bad decisions in the past, from what made us successful. Our decline started when we began bringing in new out of State QB's. Instead of sticking with the QB that took us to State Championship the previous year, we replaced him. BAD MOVE!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
So, to me "transfers" mean more than just someone who shows up after they have been at high school for one or more years, maybe they should have been elsewhere to start their high school career. We all know some of this stuff start prior to high school. Dont want to get into the details of exactly what that means on a message board, let's just say some of the movement is interesting to say the least and movement is not only a Hough thing.

I'll never understand how someone respects Hough and think what they are doing is okay and great. Going to Hough isn't getting you a free education. If you're a star, you will be seen, definitely don't have to go to Hough to get "looked at". You guys taking up for Hough BS is laughable.

The fact that grown adults are arguing about transfers means that the NCHSAA has failed. Make a rule for everyone, that everyone has to follow.

The fact that grown adults are arguing about transfers means that the NCHSAA has failed. Make a rule for everyone, that everyone has to follow.
The NCHSAA can’t control transfers, it’s not their job. Grown man debating or having conversations about new kids is common on High School Football threads. 🤷🏾‍♂️😀

Reactions: 87SwO
The NCHSAA can’t control transfers, it’s not their job. Grown man debating or having conversations about new kids is common on High School Football threads. 🤷🏾‍♂️😀
Grown men worrying about HS kids and what school they play at is the problem

Grown men worrying about HS kids and what school they play at is the problem
Worrying? to feel or experience concern or anxiety. Yeah ! That’s not happening. Your exaggeration about the conversation is bigger than the actual argument, debate, or the problem as you call it.

Worrying? to feel or experience concern or anxiety. Yeah ! That’s not happening. Your exaggeration about the conversation is bigger than the actual argument, debate, or the problem as you call it.
There’s literally adult men complaining about a kid transferring high schools. If worrying isn’t the word you like, pick another one

• Haha
There’s literally adult men complaining about a kid transferring high schools. If worrying isn’t the word you like, pick another one
Sometime’s there are people that jump on boards that are not equipped to have conversations about certain subjects. It goes way over their head. They start arguing something that’s not happening. They’re either trying to stop the conversation, or they’re uninformed or clueless. You pick one! 🤷🏾‍♂️😂

Sometime’s there are people that jump on boards that are not equipped to have conversations about certain subjects. It goes way over their head. They start arguing something that’s not happening. They’re either trying to stop the conversation, or they’re uninformed or clueless. You pick one! 🤷🏾‍♂️😂
Sometimes people try to sound smarter than they are. Have fun tracking HS kids. That’s illegal a lot of places

Please explain how, as an adult, you’re equipped to talk about where a HS kid plays sports.

Sometimes people try to sound smarter than they are. Have fun tracking HS kids. That’s illegal a lot of places
Maybe you should start a new thread. I’ll help you out with the topic. I don’t like Grown Adult men talking about schools getting new kids. I’m confident thousands of people will join you in the comment section. Lighten up soccer mom. You’re hijacking the thread now.

Maybe you should start a new thread. I’ll help you out with the topic. I don’t like Grown Adult men talking about schools getting new kids. I’m confident thousands of people will join you in the comment section. Lighten up soccer mom. You’re hijacking the thread now.
😂😂I’m on the side of kids playing where they want to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT