ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley football

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
What are the teams best chances to dethrone Grimsley. Or will Grimsley make another run to a 4A State title game and win it.

Hough, Weddington, Indy, Butler, maybe East Forsyth.
Spot on.. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Weddington, Butler come out the west or Hough finally get over the hump. Grimsley is super talented but they lucked up quite a few times last post season and they may not get some of those breaks this year.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
What are the teams best chances to dethrone Grimsley. Or will Grimsley make another run to a 4A State title game and win it.
This also depends on whether Grimsley will have to play any playoff games on the road or if they can somehow find a defense. They got by with a relative lack of defense in the regular season. Then they hit the playoffs where they gave up an average of 34.7 ppg and were forced to outscore their opponents. Then it hurt them in the one game where they couldn't outscore they're opponent in the final against New Bern. They've been fortunate the last couple of seasons, where they've been able to stay at home. Whereas Hough, Independence and Butler have had to slug it out in tough conferences and East Forsyth has had to battle through a competitive CPC, Grimsley has been able to remain in a relatively calm place in the relatively serene Metro Conference. Thus, being able to stay at home in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Grimsley will get the #1 or maybe #2 seed. The Metro teams will having winning records for the most part. Teams will have to go into Grimsley and win in November/December. I think the only team in the Triad that could pull that off will be East Forsyth. If the East Forsyth defense can't pick up where it left off then it will have to be a team in Charlotte. With all that said the favorite to win the Championship is Grimsley. I would love to see NWG beat them but we don't have the weapons running a spread against their weapons. Like New Bern showed last year it will take us running an Option based O but even with that we don't have the guys on D to make it happen. I think we can still win 9 games and take a #2 out of the Metro.

Grimsley will get the #1 or maybe #2 seed. The Metro teams will having winning records for the most part. Teams will have to go into Grimsley and win in November/December. I think the only team in the Triad that could pull that off will be East Forsyth. If the East Forsyth defense can't pick up where it left off then it will have to be a team in Charlotte. With all that said the favorite to win the Championship is Grimsley. I would love to see NWG beat them but we don't have the weapons running a spread against their weapons. Like New Bern showed last year it will take us running an Option based O but even with that we don't have the guys on D to make it happen. I think we can still win 9 games and take a #2 out of the Metro.
I remember watching and Grimsley exploited one matchup basically the entire game against NW. It was the corner opposite of #9 and I didn’t see any adjustments made by the DC until the game got out of reach. New Bern had the personnel defensively and the right scheme in place which won them the game. They played pressed up, inside technique with two safeties deep. Grimsley for the most part all year ran the same three routes. What’s going to make them more difficult to stop this year is that they will have a true number 3 Wr at the slot. I’m curious to see Tabors defense up against them week 1 because they have the bodies defensively to give them fits, especially with Blair and Peterkin’s length in the secondary. As far as playoffs go, I can see Weddington or Butler coming out of the West. I want to say Hough but they always seem to find a way choke late but they return the entire secondary so I would love to see that matchup again.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Page had that name for years. Then Northern took it and now Grimsley has it
The level of Grimsleys portal is much higher. Page had a few kids sprinkle in. Grimsley has them pile in droves. It's not even close. The guy who ran Northerns portal got fired as The University of Florida Player Personnel a few years back. Page never had anything at the level of Grimsleys and Northerns, it's not even close. Gillespie wouldn't allow it.

The level of Grimsleys portal is much higher. Page had a few kids sprinkle in. Grimsley has them pile in droves. It's not even close. The guy who ran Northerns portal got fired as The University of Florida Player Personnel a few years back. Page never had anything at the level of Grimsleys and Northerns, it's not even close. Gillespie wouldn't allow it.
Grimsley picked up another player from EF. Starting DT Keenen Hatcher 6’3 315.
I thought the defense was overrated outside of number 12 but this may put them over the top. I heard about this move a few weeks ago but I didn’t want to say anything until he got to participate in scrimmages.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PagePirates44
Grimsley picked up another player from EF. Starting DT Keenen Hatcher 6’3 315.
I thought the defense was overrated outside of number 12 but this may put them over the top. I heard about this move a few weeks ago but I didn’t want to say anything until he got to participate in scrimmages.
Yeah, Hatcher looked strong in the 3 technique. Grimsley is stronger defensively and is more multiple in the pass game. O-line needs some seasoning, but Whirlies will be the fave for a #1 seed.

Why are Grimsley and Dudley not playing?
Different conferences. Think Dudley always plays Hillside, SE and Page.

Kinda like in Charlotte whereas WC hardly plays Olympic, AK, SM, or MP unless it's conference or MC never plays AK, SM, or MP.

Some highschools have old relationships/rivalries and some HS dont like playing inner city schools voluntarily.

Reactions: New3ra
The biggest difference for Grimsley is that players that used to leave Grimsley for other schools are now staying in their home district. The hyperbola of ‘pile in droves’ (did you mean ‘piling in in droves’) is laughable hyperbole. Who does Grimsley have that is crippling Page this year? Your best player transferred to Dudley.

The GSO Allstar meme is getting and sounds more and more like preparation for a trip to the woodshed.

Reactions: ecu424
Why are Grimsley and Dudley not playing?
It's bigger than the game it seems to me brother. It appears the AD's and coaches have other obligations and can't get it locked in. Which is very odd because Page,Dudley,Smith,and Grimsley are the original Greensboro big four in the city. And they should play each other every year in my opinion. I can tell you Grimsley has benefited by not playing Dudley over the past 5 or 6 years. Grimsley getting the right coaches in and building the program. It's a shame two top programs in the state that's like 4 miles from each other don't play.

Dudley scared….they don’t want none
Of that I promise…heck we gotta play Grimsley and i think it’s a safety issue for our football team this year lol jk but seriously though
Actually you’re wrong..even the years Grimsley would win, Dudley has wanted to play. Why would Dudley run from competition? They just scrimmaged Hough last week in a private joint practice. It’s more about relationships and I don’t believe some of the coaches are fond of one another. The only reason Tabor and Grimsley are playing now is because both head coaches are friends and made it happen.

Last edited:
The biggest difference for Grimsley is that players that used to leave Grimsley for other schools are now staying in their home district. The hyperbola of ‘pile in droves’ (did you mean ‘piling in in droves’) is laughable hyperbole. Who does Grimsley have that is crippling Page this year? Your best player transferred to Dudley.

The GSO Allstar meme is getting and sounds more and more like preparation for a trip to the woodshed.
You do realize majority of the best players don’t live in Grimsley’s district? They get them in before High school which is one of the loopholes to getting kids outside the district without most people knowing. I could go down the list of names who are not in that district and what district they’re supposed to be in, even from the last few years.They got kids from all over the triad. Just because Blackwell is the only one known that transferred doesn’t mean they don’t have kids who should be going to Page already. Word on the streets and the people that are in the know is apartment addresses are being used. It’s apart of the game now and they’re just doing it better than most. Every team that’s a contender for the most part has kids outside of the district.

Last edited:
You do realize majority of the best players don’t live in Grimsley’s district? They get them in before High school which is one of the loopholes to getting kids outside the district without most people knowing. I could go down the list of names who are not in that district and what district they’re supposed to be in, even from the last few years.They got kids from all over the triad. Just because Blackwell is the only one known that transferred doesn’t mean they don’t have kids who should be going to Page already. Word on the streets and the people that are in the know is apartment addresses are being used.
Is Grimsley a magnet school or a home/residency school? Yeah the 9th grade trick is the way most are doing it now. Don't wait til jr or sr to transfer as it brings more attention. Do it as a 9th grader, then if issues with residency arise you wont have to back forfeit. LOL.

Reactions: New3ra
Is Grimsley a magnet school or a home/residency school? Yeah the 9th grade trick is the way most are doing it now. Don't wait til jr or sr to transfer as it brings more attention. Do it as a 9th grader, then if issues with residency arise you wont have to back forfeit. LOL.
Bingo, the old 9th grade trick! Home/residency. All jokes aside, Grimsley is comparable to Hough outside of the shortened spring season championship they won.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
Actually you’re wrong..even the years Grimsley would win, Dudley has wanted to play. Why would Dudley run from competition? They just scrimmaged Hough last week in a private joint practice. It’s more about relationships and I don’t believe some of the coaches are fond of one another. The only reason Tabor and Grimsley are playing now is because both head coaches are friends and made it happen.
Well Scrimmages don’t go in win loss column….looking at Dudley schedule it looks awful week to me….hillside probably be challenging with the new coach from new bern but other than that a cake walk for the panthers….I always wondered why Dudley never scheduled Reidsville?

Well Scrimmages don’t go in win loss column….looking at Dudley schedule it looks awful week to me….hillside probably be challenging with the new coach from new bern but other than that a cake walk for the panthers….I always wondered why Dudley never scheduled Reidsville?
You don’t control the conference you’re in. The three non conference games are just teams they normally always play and have relationships with. Coach Davis started at Page so they will always play them, Hillside is a rival so that’s that. Just like how Page and Reidsville play because Coach Robertson used to coach at Reidsville. You seem like the only one that doesn’t understand it’s mainly about relationships and not about who is scared of who.

Last edited:
You do realize majority of the best players don’t live in Grimsley’s district? They get them in before High school which is one of the loopholes to getting kids outside the district without most people knowing. I could go down the list of names who are not in that district and what district they’re supposed to be in, even from the last few years.They got kids from all over the triad. Just because Blackwell is the only one known that transferred doesn’t mean they don’t have kids who should be going to Page already. Word on the streets and the people that are in the know is apartment addresses are being used. It’s apart of the game now and they’re just doing it better than most. Every team that’s a contender for the most part has kids outside of the district.
School choice is not just about academic programs. Parents seek the best opportunities for their children. Just because they choose strong programs doesn’t necessarily correlate to active recruitment by coaches. Word on the streets and people ‘in the know’ are notoriously subjective, but is tempting red meat for Whirlie haters. Paranoia creates quixotic windmills.

School choice is not just about academic programs. Parents seek the best opportunities for their children. Just because they choose strong programs doesn’t necessarily correlate to active recruitment by coaches. Word on the streets and people ‘in the know’ are notoriously subjective, but is tempting red meat for Whirlie haters. Paranoia creates quixotic windmills.
You must be a Grimsley fan lol I don’t hate nor dislike Grimsley. I don’t have a reason to hate on them, I just tell it like it is. I know kids at Grimsley and from schools all over and I understand when some just seek out strong programs, that’s understandable. As far as recruitment goes, that I know for a fact has taken place or does before they get to high school. I’m not one of these people on here just making stuff up or assuming. I really try to hold back from saying too much on here.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more with this statement

You must be a Grimsley fan lol I don’t hate nor dislike Grimsley. I don’t have a reason to hate on them, I just tell it like it is. I know kids at Grimsley and from schools all over and I understand when some just seek out strong programs, that’s understandable. As far as recruitment goes, that I know for a fact has taken place or does before they get to high school. I’m not one of these people on here just making stuff up or assuming. I really try to hold back from saying too much on here.
I'll definitely back this up as an outsider who just happens to love triad high school football without a dog in this fight. The recruiting does happen, i've personally heard a convo or two in the past few years. I also think its absurd to not believe its happening when every touchdown that was scored in that spring championship was scored by a kid that transferred in(yes, i know one of them was the son of the ad and this was to be expected). Also let me say that anybody that thinks dudley is scared to play grimsley is not thinking. Grimsley's success is very much recent, Dudley has been at this for sometime!!! I'd assume it would be vice versa

I agree you are an equitable observer. I am an a retired educator and coach(Reidsville) as well as keen observer of high school sports and their programs. But when these Pirate/Nighthawk homers bellyache about ‘recruiting’, it triggers my ‘projection’ button.😂

I'll definitely back this up as an outsider who just happens to love triad high school football without a dog in this fight. The recruiting does happen, i've personally heard a convo or two in the past few years. I also think its absurd to not believe its happening when every touchdown that was scored in that spring championship was scored by a kid that transferred in(yes, i know one of them was the son of the ad and this was to be expected). Also let me say that anybody that thinks dudley is scared to play grimsley is not thinking. Grimsley's success is very much recent, Dudley has been at this for sometime!!! I'd assume it would be vice versa
Don’t doubt your knowledge and I admire your passion for Triad sports. My argument is that student athletes are driven more by leaving unsuccessful programs than by being ‘recruited’ by more successful ones.

I agree you are an equitable observer. I am an a retired educator and coach(Reidsville) as well as keen observer of high school sports and their programs. But when these Pirate/Nighthawk homers bellyache about ‘recruiting’, it triggers my ‘projection’ button.😂
I never hint at or say anything without already knowing. I try not to say too much because I have relationships with some of the parents, kids or coaches.Trust me I get it. I see some of the same complaining from different fan bases and I can tell which ones are being biased or coming from a place of hate.

Last edited:
Don’t doubt your knowledge and I admire your passion for Triad sports. My argument is that student athletes are driven more by leaving unsuccessful programs than by being ‘recruited’ by more successful ones.
I agree for the most part. Both happen but a lot of these kids do transfer because some of these programs have been ran poorly or can’t maintain a coaching staff. I feel bad for some of these programs and coaches that are trying to turn things around. I feel like Western for example shouldn’t even be in the same conference as a team like Grimsley. The best two Linemen they had just transferred to Grimsley this summer and they already had no reason to be on the same field as them.

Reactions: RammanuelKant
I agree for the most part. Both happen but a lot of these kids do transfer because some of these programs have been ran poorly or can’t maintain a coaching staff. I feel bad for some of these programs and coaches that are trying to turn things around. I feel like Western for example shouldn’t even be in the same conference as a team like Grimsley. The best two Linemen they had just transferred to Grimsley this summer and they already had no reason to be on the same field as them.
Sounds like NCAA football conferences

This is my perspective on it. Grimsley not playing Dudley while building that program to what it is now was smart. Had they been playing them the program may not be what it is now because players would’ve transferred the moment Dudley beat them. Now that the program is as high as it’s ever been, why take a chance of playing Dudley? It’s a lose lose situation. They beat them, Dudley will still be Dudley but they lose and they might ruin what they have going because some of those kids that want to go there might think twice about which school to attend. There’s really no benefit in them playing them, it’s just what the fans want. They play in 2021 Dudley wins, they play last year or this year Grimsley wins but next year Dudley would win.

This is why I'm starting to follow the NFL more now than high school or even college. With NIL, the super conferences and apartment hunting at the high school level, the NFL doesn't play pretend. You KNOW you're watching the NFL. I get it. It is what it is. But that doesn't mean I have to be a dedicated follower anymore.

I never hint at or say anything without already knowing. I try not to say too much because I have relationships with some of the parents, kids or coaches.Trust me I get it. I see some of the same complaining from different fan bases and I can tell which ones are being biased or coming from a place of hate.
That word "hate" is overused and tired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT