ADVERTISEMENT

East Gaston vs. Maiden

Of the starters that are out, #2 (DB,WR) played a few series Friday night, so he is back. #71 ankle (OL,DL), #15 ankle (DL), #42 shoulder (DL) and #14 shoulder (WR, DB) were all out Friday. If I speculate, I think we get 2 or 3 of them back for Friday, I just don't know which ones.

As many have said...this is the first meeting between these two. East Gaston was founded/opened in 1972, hard to believe that we haven't crossed paths at least once.

On a side note...East Gaston was a consolidation of the aforementioned Mount Holly and Stanley high schools...and Maiden did play those two schools:

• Vs Mount Holly, from 1925 to 1965 they played 11 times. Maiden was 4-6-1 vs Mount Holly
  • Vs Stanley, from 1953 to 1956 they played 4 times. Maiden was 0-4 vs Stanley
Looking forward to a great game Friday night.

The Mt. Holly Hawks had a good program. They won a title in the 1960's maybe 66 or 67, seems like there were both an east and west championship that year.
Mr. Lincolnton. You are right. Mt Holly won the title in '63 over North Davidson and '67 over Glen Alpine. Mt Holly was one of the best 2A programs in the state during the 60s. Delmar Wiles was the head coach and we ran the single wing.

Mr. Lincolnton. You are right. Mt Holly won the title in '63 over North Davidson and '67 over Glen Alpine. Mt Holly was one of the best 2A programs in the state during the 60s. Delmar Wiles was the head coach and we ran the single wing.
I attended the 1967 playoff game at Cherryville High between Mt. Holly and Glen Alpine. What a game, Glen Alpine had come from behind to take the lead late in the game only to be forced to punt from deep in their territory. The first punt was out to around their own 40 yard line. A penalty forced a re-kick which was shanked and the ball went out of bounds inside the GA 10 yard line. Mt. Holly punched in a late score to win 26-20.

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I attended the 1967 playoff game at Cherryville High between Mt. Holly and Glen Alpine. What a game, Glen Alpine had come from behind to take the lead late in the game only to be forced to punt from deep in their territory. The first punt was out to around their own 40 yard line. A penalty forced a re-kick which was shanked and the ball went out of bounds inside the GA 10 yard line. Mt. Holly punched in a late score to win 26-20.
I was there too. Standing room only. Mt Holly won on a TD pass (something we did not do much, pass). My neighbor from accross the street caught the TD pass.

I was there too. Standing room only. Mt Holly won on a TD pass (something we did not do much, pass). My neighbor from accross the street caught the TD pass.
Speaking of Mt. Holly and Glen Alpine playing at Cherryville, if I could switch sports, season and schools around, I saw a baseball game at the old Mt. Holly High School between Charlotte Post 9 and Cherryville Post 100 in 1960 (around that time, maybe). It's been over 60 years but I remember a high bank on the far side of the athletic field where I'm thinking like the Hawks played baseball and football. After we left I recall Dad driving across the river into Mecklenburg County and buying himself a case of tall Budweisers to take back home as Gaston and Lincoln County did not sell hard beverages, then (lawfully).

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Post 9 (aka Paw Creek) played at Mt Holly for many years and yes the our field was used for both football and baseball. The football field was basically the baseball outfield. You could go just across the river into Mecklenburg County to buy your beer (at one of the "beer joints").

egfan, if you can tolerate it, a bit of a Mt. Holly memory, Preps allows me one story per week: Got stopped for speeding in Mt. Holly, some days before Christmas, a long time ago. The officer asked me where I'd been, I told him UNCC (that'll usually get you a ticket). He also wanted to know where I was going, I told him to work in Lincolnton, and when I had to be there . He said you have plenty of time to get there. I said yes, but I wanted one of the cubed ice cream scoops in the cone from Charlie's Drugs (Old Pharmacy in Mt. Holly) before it closed... Honestly, I believe he though I was somewhat off. He told me to slow down and let me go. I really, and I mean really appreciated that because I didn't make enough money to pay the ticket. I think about that when I go through there.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
egfan, if you can tolerate it, a bit of a Mt. Holly memory, Preps allows me one story per week: Got stopped for speeding in Mt. Holly, some days before Christmas, a long time ago. The officer asked me where I'd been, I told him UNCC (that'll usually get you a ticket). He also wanted to know where I was going, I told him to work in Lincolnton, and when I had to be there . He said you have plenty of time to get there. I said yes, but I wanted one of the cubed ice cream scoops in the cone from Charlie's Drugs (Old Pharmacy in Mt. Holly) before it closed... Honestly, I believe he though I was somewhat off. He told me to slow down and let me go. I really, and I mean really appreciated that because I didn't make enough money to pay the ticket. I think about that when I go through there.
The last time I was pulled over for speeding was right after Christmas and the location was between Mt. Holly and Stanley, but more towards Stanley. I got a warning. He thought I was some out of towner with Virginia plates lost trying to find my way back to Charlotte.

Charlies was bought out years ago.....but they still got those hotdogs and Orange aids. That smell when you walk in the door is fabulous.

LHSfaninVA, I'm glad they let you go. Don't think you'd have been pulled over up there in the DC area, everybody's going so fast they can't catch up with them to get them stopped.

egfan, thanks for the information on Charlie's. I remember the orange squeezer in there...I had no idea it was still open. Have to make it a point to stop there for old-times sake.

LHSfaninVA, I'm glad they let you go. Don't think you'd have been pulled over up there in the DC area, everybody's going so fast they can't catch up with them to get them stopped.

egfan, thanks for the information on Charlie's. I remember the orange squeezer in there...I had no idea it was still open. Have to make it a point to stop there for old-times sake.
Don't want to jinx it but I have been pulled over six times in my life and not all of them for speeding. Twice in Missouri. Twice in DC when I first moved up here. Sometimes you just can't turn left even when nobody is coming and you don't see the poorly displayed signage. Once in Greensboro and that time between Stanley and Mt Holly. I have received three warnings and the other three times told to just pay the small $ fine.

The 1965 game was a 13-6 Mount Holly win

The 1964 game was a 7-0 Maiden win
Interesting note on the 7-0 Maiden win in '64. The game was at Maiden. Maiden scored the only TD on the game's very first play from scrimmage. The Blue Devils had an OG named Larry Cline. He successfully blocked his guy on the play. Then, after making his assigned block, and according to Cline himself, he tripped over the fallen defender and fell forward, taking out a Mt. Holly LB and another defender in the process when they tripped over him. The Maiden RB (maybe Gary Coulter?) ran untouched to the endzone through an 18-wheeler sized hole. Definitely a funny, fortunate way to win a 7-0 game. Cline's "three for the price of one" block was talked about for years.

According to Simmons...this game will be the closest in 2A tonight.

EG fans, we have Brookwood (homestyle) and Don's (grill) and Country Market (homestyle/grill) to eat along with 3 hermanos (mexican) and the Taco Boss (mexican) food truck. Also, Cap'n Petes (seafood), Papas Pizza, and Subway.

You could always eat in Lincolnton (I'd vote for House of Pizza or Aspen Grill).

Best of luck and safe travels.

According to Simmons...this game will be the closest in 2A tonight.

EG fans, we have Brookwood (homestyle) and Don's (grill) and Country Market (homestyle/grill) to eat along with 3 hermanos (mexican) and the Taco Boss (mexican) food truck. Also, Cap'n Petes (seafood), Papas Pizza, and Subway.

You could always eat in Lincolnton (I'd vote for House of Pizza or Aspen Grill).

Best of luck and safe travels.
Taco boss

@egfan , you guys have a great program. Very impressed seeing the Warriors for the first time. #7 was dropping dimes! Your team played tough and just kept hanging around. East Gaston fans also travel well, that’s one of the largest visiting crowds we’ve seen. Hats off to you!

Our young Devils keep improving every week it seems. Congratulations BIG BLUE!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT