ADVERTISEMENT

Cutler Adams chasing the record

That's career.

He had 2,200 as a sophomore
He is at 1,200 this year.
Had about 200 as a freshman(c-19 season)

The conference record is 6,100+ by
Anderson 2,016-2,019
2nd is all state running back
Kurt Odom 5,600 (2,006-2,009)

Reactions: RealStihl
What was the running back for Murphy in the 96 87 88 seasons. Benny something. I thought in his senior year he was approaching over 6000 for career. Think they lost to Elkin in quarters

What was the running back for Murphy in the 96 87 88 seasons. Benny something. I thought in his senior year he was approaching over 6000 for career. Think they lost to Elkin in quarters
The RB for Murphy in '87-'88 was Kevin "Juice" Nicely, no idea on his career yardage. The fullback at Murphy in '87-'89 was Benny Smith, maybe that's who you are thinking of. Juice was the starting RB in '88 when they played Elkin, before my time but family and friends lived it.

The Murphy RB with the most career yardage if I had to guess is probably Jake Smith who played from '90-'92. Murphy has a spread the wealth mentality so rarely do they have backs that rack up huge career yardage totals.

Last edited:
The RB for Murphy in '87-'88 period was Kevin "Juice" Nicely, no idea on his career yardage, there was another back Benny Smith at Murphy in '88-'89 but to the best of my knowledge Juice was the starting RB in '88 when they played Elkin, this was before my time though so I could be mistaken on who the starting RB was that year.

The Murphy RB with the most career yardage if I had to guess is probably Jake Smith who played from '90-'92. Murphy has a spread the wealth mentality so rarely do they have backs that rack up huge career yardage totals.
I'm an old timer so I lean towards it being Willie Brown or Tony Colbert

The RB for Murphy in '87-'88 period was Kevin "Juice" Nicely, no idea on his career yardage, there was another back Benny Smith at Murphy in '88-'89 but to the best of my knowledge Juice was the starting RB in '88 when they played Elkin, this was before my time but what I was told.

Why do I think Mel Nicley instead of Kevin? Was Mel a different player?

Murphy has had the backs to break records over the years especially in the 80's and early 90's. They usually had to get their yards in a 2yr period along with sharing carries in the wingt. Robbinsville has usually been a one man show at RB

Why do I think Mel Nicley instead of Kevin? Was Mel a different player?
Yes Mel Nicely was an absolute stud on the Pickens teams, one of the best players to ever come through Murphy. But Mel didnt play tailback, he was the wingback. Kevin "Juice" Nicely and Jeremy Ledford were the tailbacks. And of course you had the great DJ Cox at fullback on the '85-'86 teams and then after him it was Benny Smith at fullback on the '87-89 teams, who was very good in his own right. It's crazy to think about the level of skill talent Murphy had back in those days.

Last edited:
According to what I've been informed, 8 yards per carry is a remarkable accomplishment. When opposed to his Freshman year, the kid leapt 37 more TDs in his sophomore year. Amazing.

Funny story. I started my first year of college in 2014 and was going to school to be a P.E teacher. It was my first week of classes and it was obviously during football season. I was dating my wife back then and was just in the transition phase of becoming a Black Knight. Me and a classmate (who was from Robbinsville) were conversing while sitting together about SMC football and a guy over heard us and joined in. I asked him where he was from and he said he graduated from Murphy. He was obviously quite older than us. Looked to be in his 60’s or maybe late 50’s. I asked him his name and he told us. So I started looking him up and saw his stats for Murphy. Had no clue who he was and had never heard of him before. Little did I know that I had class with the great Willie Brown. Such a nice guy and humble guy it seems. Never mentioned anything other than him being a running back for Murphy.

Funny story. I started my first year of college in 2014 and was going to school to be a P.E teacher. It was my first week of classes and it was obviously during football season. I was dating my wife back then and was just in the transition phase of becoming a Black Knight. Me and a classmate (who was from Robbinsville) were conversing while sitting together about SMC football and a guy over heard us and joined in. I asked him where he was from and he said he graduated from Murphy. He was obviously quite older than us. Looked to be in his 60’s or maybe late 50’s. I asked him his name and he told us. So I started looking him up and saw his stats for Murphy. Had no clue who he was and had never heard of him before. Little did I know that I had class with the great Willie Brown. Such a nice guy and humble guy it seems. Never mentioned anything other than him being a running back for Murphy.
Nice,I thought he had passed away.

I cannot remember but it has been mentioned on this board before, where did Willie Brown play college ball and how did he do?

I cannot remember but it has been mentioned on this board before, where did Willie Brown play college ball and how did he do?
I can’t remember for the life of me where he played college ball. I’m sure he told me years ago but I’ve forgot.

App State, had bigger offers but wanted to go to App State because his at the time girlfriend was going there. He played as a true freshman in 1975 and did well but ran into issues off the field and dropped out after freshman year and ended up back in Murphy. A shame, very talented individual.

The old timers that saw him say he had legitimate Sunday potential like Pickens and easily the second best player to come through Murphy, but it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:
He may have since then. Like I said that was 8 years ago
Willie is still alive, in his mid 60's now and doing well AFAIK. Willie's son Anthony Brown isn't much older than you, he played for Murphy from '07-'09, Anthony was a good wingback and corner. Willie is also the uncle of JC Brown that played for Murphy '99-'01. JC was the Asheville Citizen WNC player of the year in '01 and went on to play for Western Carolina.

Willie is still alive, in his mid 60's now and doing well AFAIK. Willie's son Anthony Brown isn't much older than you, he played for Murphy from '07-'09, Anthony was a good wingback and corner. Willie is also the uncle of JC Brown that played for Murphy '99-'01. JC was the Asheville Citizen WNC player of the year in '01 and went on to play for Western Carolina.
Great. Glad to hear he’s doing well. Not sure if he went on to graduate at WCU or not. I ended up transferring to Haywood for Wildlife management and still somehow managed to stay at Coca-Cola. But other than those first couple classes I had with him, I haven’t seen him since.

Jeremy Ledford is another one just like that. Worked with him 15 years and he never mentioned any of his legendary stories that I heard from others. He and I were standing on top of the hill one night at a Swain/Murphy game when Heath Shuler walked up and started talking to me. He looked over at Jeremy and said, "Bad memories. He intercepted my first high school pass and ran it back for a touchdown.". Jeremy just smiled and shook Heath's hand.

Jeremy Ledford is another one just like that. Worked with him 15 years and he never mentioned any of his legendary stories that I heard from others. He and I were standing on top of the hill one night at a Swain/Murphy game when Heath Shuler walked up and started talking to me. He looked over at Jeremy and said, "Bad memories. He intercepted my first high school pass and ran it back for a touchdown.". Jeremy just smiled and shook Heath's hand.
Class.

That is just awesome and unbelievable!! You all have been blessed to come from such good hard nosed in a good way communities that made you winners!! That is just freakin awesome to be at a game and Heath Shuler come up to you and start talking lol!!! I love hearing these old stories! Are the streeter boys still alive? Or that tough Wauchacha that almost cut his arm off and then came back to play?? Pardon my spelling too with their names? No disrespect meant at all if I have them wrong?

Reactions: Purple1995
That is just awesome and unbelievable!! You all have been blessed to come from such good hard nosed in a good way communities that made you winners!! That is just freakin awesome to be at a game and Heath Shuler come up to you and start talking lol!!! I love hearing these old stories! Are the streeter boys still alive? Or that tough Wauchacha that almost cut his arm off and then came back to play?? Pardon my spelling too with their names? No disrespect meant at all if I have them wrong?

Steve and Jimmy Streater are both deceased. Steve's health issues had a lot to do with paralysis from a car wreck. He was driving to UNC from the airport in a rainstorm and had a car wreak. He had just signed a free agent contract and flown back from Washington. Jimmy had severe diabetes and was not even fifty.

Steve and Jimmy Streater are both deceased. Steve's health issues had a lot to do with paralysis from a car wreck. He was driving to UNC from the airport in a rainstorm and had a car wreak. He had just signed a free agent contract and flown back from Washington. Jimmy had severe diabetes and was not even fifty.
I am
Sorry to hear that for both of them and their families. So Steve was going to play in the NFL?? WOW! For a mountain community you all have had several go to college and perform at a nation level and go on to the NFL! That is really something!

WOW!! Did I enjoy reading that article!! Could you imagine setting in out on the porch with him and listening to all his sports stories lol?? I bet it would last for weeks!?!? Such a shame about his accident. I don’t know the man, but something tells me he kept his spirit and was a winner at anything he done even after that? Thanks for sharing this! Do ya have any old football articles?

WOW!! Did I enjoy reading that article!! Could you imagine setting in out on the porch with him and listening to all his sports stories lol?? I bet it would last for weeks!?!? Such a shame about his accident. I don’t know the man, but something tells me he kept his spirit and was a winner at anything he done even after that? Thanks for sharing this! Do ya have any old football articles?
You should hear Randy Wachacha tell about his dad and the chainsaw accident he wore a special cast and played till the regional may have won state I cant remember someone I'm sure knows and will chime in the Wachachas are legends in the smokies

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT