ADVERTISEMENT

#7 Clinton vs #10 South Granville RD2

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
On to Round 2 as Clinton welcomes South Granville to Darkhorse Stadium this upcoming Friday night. Clinton started slow defensively but were able to beat Beddingfield 39-18. South Granville advance past Roanoke Rapids in a thriller that had a couple lead changes in the last 4 mins and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in the final minutes winning 20-16. These two have met in the playoffs recently in 2016 Clinton won a 2nd round 2AA playoff game vs South Granville 45-7. A quick snap shot of South Granville looks like a hard nose running team with a strong 1000 yard back in Khawan Bobbit the 6’1 210 pound back has run for 1293 yards and 11 TDs per latest Maxpreps stats which I believe is missing a game or two. Clinton had its issues in the first half last night containing the edge and RB Malik Woodard from Beddingfield. Should be a good game between the two I would not pay much mind to the 6-5 record as SG played in what seems like a pretty tough 3A/2A split conference. I’m sure @tarheelg can elaborate much more on what South Granville brings to the table. Any other thoughts and predictions feel free. Go Horses!!!!!

I’ll miss this game but will be listening and hopefully I’ll be back in the booth for a round 3 matchup vs either ED or JK. Go horses!

Which S. Granville team shows up, the one that beat S. Durham 7-6 or the one that lost to Vance 27-13? Should be interesting, no matter which shows up, they have been battle tested. I think Clinton will need to start strong in this one.

Reactions: tarheelg
On to Round 2 as Clinton welcomes South Granville to Darkhorse Stadium this upcoming Friday night. Clinton started slow defensively but were able to beat Beddingfield 39-18. South Granville advance past Roanoke Rapids in a thriller that had a couple lead changes in the last 4 mins and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in the final minutes winning 20-16. These two have met in the playoffs recently in 2016 Clinton won a 2nd round 2AA playoff game vs South Granville 45-7. A quick snap shot of South Granville looks like a hard nose running team with a strong 1000 yard back in Khawan Bobbit the 6’1 210 pound back has run for 1293 yards and 11 TDs per latest Maxpreps stats which I believe is missing a game or two. Clinton had its issues in the first half last night containing the edge and RB Malik Woodard from Beddingfield. Should be a good game between the two I would not pay much mind to the 6-5 record as SG played in what seems like a pretty tough 3A/2A split conference. I’m sure @tarheelg can elaborate much more on what South Granville brings to the table. Any other thoughts and predictions feel free. Go Horses!!!!!
The maxpreps stats are not missing a game or two (I can verify that because I'm the one who inputs them), but the RB you speak of did....his stats have been accrued in basically seven games, as he missed two entire games (Hillside & Carrboro), and played in two games where he only had 2-3 touches due to injury (Southern Nash & Webb)....the conference has two really tough 3A teams in Southern Durham & Vance Co., who play each other in 2nd Rd next week, but it was SG's non-conference schedule that had the Vikings rated as playing THE toughest schedule in the state for 2-3 weeks in a row on simmonsratings (before the last three conference games against Carrboro, Webb, Granville Central), Orange was week one, we played slow and sluggish in the first half but pulled away in the second half and defense shut them out (much like Clinton's win against Beddingfield it seems), then had the four game losing streak: 30-18 to Heritage a 4A playoff team, 34-28 to Lee Co., a 3A playoff team still alive in 2nd Rd, 34-14 to Southern Nash, a 3A playoff team still alive in 2nd Rd, in the game where our leading rusher was injured early in 2nd quarter, then had our worst game on paper with a shutout to 4A #1 seed Hillside 43-0 with our leading rusher and two other starters out due to injury, then had the bye week to get ready for conference games, started at Southern Durham in a defensive slugfest with their two D1 commit defensive ends making it really difficult to do anything on offense, and SG defense played its best game of the year, especially in 2nd half, SG beat SD 7-6....then the SG game vs. Vance Co. didn't go our way, they made some big plays on deep passes and got the win 27-13, Carrboro probably gave us their best shot in the 1st half, and played hard all game, and had a couple of plays and got a couple of eyerolling calls go their way, but like the SD game, defense played lights out in 2nd half and we eventually pulled away 28-3....our two county rivalry games are almost last on the schedule, (and also the only 2A opponents we played in the regular season) Webb played hard and made us work and had one good drive, one explosive play, and then a late garbage time TD...on senior night against Granville Central, we were finally able to pitch a shutout for all four quarters, and get the game clock into high gear in the second half, and those who read this board have an idea already of how the SG/RR 1st Rd game went

I was there for the 2nd Rd loss at Clinton in 2016 on Black Friday (have only missed 3 SG games over the last 18 years, none since 2009), and remember a competitive 1st Qtr where SG defense forced a punt, and scored a TD, but then Clinton dominated the next three quarters, where if I remember right, SG only got in the red zone one time in the second half and struggled all night to stop the Clinton offense...I remember a social media post by one of our assistant coaches from then (no longer with the program) that praised Clinton as what a powerful program looks like and where we wanted to get to (after a huge dropoff the year before that, going 4-8, and ending with a 35-7 loss in 1st Rd at Beddingfield), I know Clinton will be favored on simmonsratings and that most of the message board posters will be expecting Clinton to win, I'm hoping the Vikings will show up and compete and keep it close for more than one quarter like we saw in 2016 with a team that was still learning how to win...that team played a tough schedule and lost a shootout at Cleveland, won a hard fought game at Fike, dominated Chapel Hill, got dominated by Rocky Mount, won a crazy 1st Rd game at SW Edgecombe (almost as crazy as last night against RR), had solid wins that year against Southern Vance, Webb, Granville Central, Franklinton, and Louisburg but lost bitter; Murphy's law; make you want to vomit type conference games against Bunn and Roanoke Rapids...hoping this year will still be a close one, within striking distance in the 4th Qtr, I'll be on the visitor sideline with my clipboard, or press box if it's raining to keep my papers dry, already heard from a former poster on here from Midway that he might drop in, and I can't help but wonder if Willie Parker and/or James Faison might show up...I talked sports with them many times when we freshmen at UNC the same year; actually had an English class with W.P.; I've always had respect for the Dark Horses program, heard a story from the 1990s when a visiting team in either 1st or 2nd Rd and Clinton won 47-0 or something like that; and visiting team gets off the bus wearing 2-3-4 layers of clothes and still shivering and complaining about the cold but the Clinton guys were stretching and doing jumping jacks and all with no shirts on, see you Friday if all goes as planned

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Which S. Granville team shows up, the one that beat S. Durham 7-6 or the one that lost to Vance 27-13? Should be interesting, no matter which shows up, they have been battle tested. I think Clinton will need to start strong in this one.
That was a HUGE win at Southern Durham, and not a "bad loss" to Vance, as talking heads on TV mention when breaking down a team's resume, but definitely a disappointing loss....just a fact from anybody who saw those games that personnel-wise, SG's defense matches up a lot better against SD offense than against Vance offense

My apology @tarheelg so use to us or some other teams stats being inaccurate or late up there glad that you stay on top of it. Yes I remember the 2016 game Tyion Wright #5 made one of the more spectacular catches I seen that night in the 2nd half we have a guy maybe equally impressive if not more so in #2 Josiah McLaurin who is basically just a Swiss Army knife and maybe one of the most shifty players I ever seen.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
In terms of being battle tested I believe y’all have us in that department as some still question exactly how good we are due to lackluster non conf and conference schedule of course totally out of our control. But 10-1 is 10-1 saw a quote today that said “They don’t ask how you did it, they ask how many” lol guess that’s perfect for us. Clinton since 2016 has struggled making it out of round 2 only making it beyond once and that was 2019.

Last edited:
Key to the game will be for the Dark Horse defense as a unit to not peter out, and to be able to cut off Bobbit.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
I'll be on the visitor sideline with my clipboard, or press box if it's raining to keep my papers dry,
Rain or not you should go to the pressbox and meet @Darkhorse04 He's always looking for someone to interview with their camping stories. Don't worry no camping experience is necessary!! Seriously he is a great guy if you didn't meet him years ago in Clinton. Then there's this @Wizard of the East dude.............

Rain or not you should go to the pressbox and meet @Darkhorse04 He's always looking for someone to interview with their camping stories. Don't worry no camping experience is necessary!! Seriously he is a great guy if you didn't meet him years ago in Clinton. Then there's this @Wizard of the East dude.............
I usually pop into the press box before the game to drop off an updated roster and chat with whoever's there (usually nobody since myself and the assistant coach I ride with get there so early), would love to meet a couple more message board posters....but if the weather's good I prefer the sideline for road games....I'm always in the press box for every home game since 2011, as five PA announcers and three athletic directors ago, they asked me to be there to spot ball carriers, receivers, tacklers, penalties, etc.....my last home game on the sidelines is one that I bet a bunch of Reidsville folks on this board remember in the 2nd Rd in 2011 on Veterans Day

Thanks for the kind words Otis. I won’t be in the booth for this game I’ll be out of town unfortunately. I’ll be “camping” lol. How about West Craven my man. Y’all keep punishing teams. Maybe we can meet up again. Good luck to yours. Go horses!

Different subject but what the heck happened to St. Pauls? It's like they just quit after the Clinton game.

Different subject but what the heck happened to St. Pauls? It's like they just quit after the Clinton game.
Watched a short interview posted by the Robesonian after the playoff loss and sounds like something internal,plus some injuries. Apparently Baldwin was dealing with a ankle issues the last 7 weeks.

Watched a short interview posted by the Robesonian after the playoff loss and sounds like something internal,plus some injuries. Apparently Baldwin was dealing with a ankle issues the last 7 weeks.

Greene Central is pretty good. No excuses needed. That Jonathan Willis is committed to Navy.

Greene Central is pretty good. No excuses needed. That Jonathan Willis is committed to Navy.
Not making any excuses for them I’m sure Greene Central is very good. Just St Pauls didn’t look that good the last few weeks losing to Greene Central is one thing but a bad East Bladen team is another.

I thought Greene could beat them but they blowed them away and the East Bladen was a bad one for sure

Not making any excuses for them I’m sure Greene Central is very good. Just St Pauls didn’t look that good the last few weeks losing to Greene Central is one thing but a bad East Bladen team is another.
I didn't really mean you. I was thinking more of a kid being hurt. Willis was taken away by ambulance in our game with them. I never heard what happened to him. He got absolutely clocked on the sideline by our kicker on a kickoff return. They don't have NFHS so I was never able to get video of it. But Caleb Decker drilled him. Then later something else happened that I missed. He got up and slung his helmet and went to the sidelines. Next thing we knew he was in an ambulance.

Clinton is impressive. It has improved on offense and its defense is still dominant. Right now it looks like Dark Horses could repeat as champs, after what they have been through, I don't see any of the other playoff caliber teams beating them. As of right now the only thing that can beat the Dark Horses would be complacency.

Yet, with games left, too much can still happen in the next few playoff games.

Dark Horses have my vote against the field.
Could they lose? Sure. Not likely though w/o key injuries.

The Dark Horses are still the team to beat with no legit competition right now...

Thank you for your service and happy Veterans Day. I grew up in Cocoa Beach / Cape Canaveral area. I graduated from Merritt Island High School. I now live in Pembroke, NC. Cocoa High School(not Cocoa Beach) have always been a top program in my area.

Cocoa Beach!!!…😜

I took an opportunity to join up with some friends (16 of us) and headed down to Miami after Hurricane Andrew to help with the clean up and rebuild. I was there for 7 months. I’ve got a thousand stories about that experience. Here’s one.

The contractor…who is a close friend…had a twin engine plane. He flew all over the place….I had the nerve to get in it once to take a quick trip back home to visit family on a weekend get away. We took off from Tamiami airport near Homestead late on a Friday evening. The sun was setting and it was just beautiful following the coast line headed to NC. I’m sitting shoulder to shoulder with my buddy, the pilot, and 2 more buddies behind us. It was cramped….like sitting in a ‘69 VW bug! In fact the plane was a ‘69 model.😂

It was getting dark and he reached up to flip a switch…I guess outboards lights…or whatever…..I heard the pop….like a fuse burnt! I’ll never forget that feeling…when my buddy says…. Mayday! Mayday!…on his headset!😂

We lost all electrical power…no lights…no radio…nothing! He also said….I’m gonna get in sooo much trouble!…y’all keep an eye out for planes…..and suddenly dove the plane from 8000 feet down to 1000 feet in an instant! Words can’t describe how that felt! He literally was holding a pen light in his mouth to monitor the instrument panel.
We knew that we were about to do an emergency landing at Cape Canaveral or Patrick Air Force base…do what?
We buzzed the runway twice and did a couple figure 8’s above the runway to let whoever know we were in distress. I had to threaten to whip my buddies ass to get him to land that damn plane. Sooo…..he did!

That runway…went from a desolate piece of road…to being totally surrounded by military with guns….by the time our plane rolled to a stop!😂😂

It was Patrick Air Force base! Have Mercy!

The first minutes of our encounter…like me trying to get out so I could kiss the ground…didn’t go so well!😂😂😂
They treated us like kings after we explained what happened…even shuttled us to a local hotel and repaired the plane for an early departure the next morning. Of course….I didn’t get back on it!

I stayed the weekend in Cocoa Beach and celebrated being alive at some of the absolute best topless bars I’ve ever been to! Just wanted y’all to know.

Thanks to all who have served….it means a lot!

Last edited:
Cocoa Beach!!!…😜

I took an opportunity to join up with some friends (16 of us) and headed down to Miami after Hurricane Andrew to help with the clean up and rebuild. I was there for 7 months. I’ve got a thousand stories about that experience. Here’s one.

The contractor…who is a close friend…had a twin engine plane. He flew all over the place….I had the nerve to get in it once to take a quick trip back home to visit family on a weekend get away. We took off from Tamiami airport near Homestead late on a Friday evening. The sun was setting and it was just beautiful following the coast line headed to NC. I’m sitting shoulder to shoulder with my buddy, the pilot, and 2 more buddies behind us. It was cramped….like sitting in a ‘69 VW bug! In fact the plane was a ‘69 model.😂

It was getting dark and he reached up to flip a switch…I guess outboards lights…or whatever…..I heard the pop….like a fuse burnt! I’ll never forget that feeling…when my buddy says…. Mayday! Mayday!…on his headset!😂

We lost all electrical power…no lights…no radio…nothing! He also said….I’m gonna get in sooo much trouble!…y’all keep an eye out for planes…..and suddenly dove the plane from 8000 feet down to 1000 feet in an instant! Words can’t describe how that felt! He literally was holding a pen light in his mouth to monitor the instrument panel.
We knew that we were about to do an emergency landing at Cape Canaveral or Patrick Air Force base…do what?
We buzzed the runway twice and did a couple figure 8’s above the runway to let whoever know we were in distress. I had to threaten to whip my buddies ass to get him to land that damn plane. Sooo…..he did!

That runway…went from a desolate piece of road…to being totally surrounded by military with guns….by the time our plane rolled to a stop!😂😂

The first minutes of our encounter…like me trying to get out so I could kiss the ground…didn’t go so well!😂😂😂
They treated us like kings after we explained what happened…even shuttled us to a local hotel and repaired the plane for an early departure the next morning. Of course….I didn’t get back on it!

I stayed the weekend in Cocoa Beach and celebrated being alive at some of the absolute best topless bars I’ve ever been to! Just wanted y’all to know.

Man this may be the last message on this topic before someone starts with the "this is not the space to talk about this" attitude.

Man that is some freaking story LOL. I grew up surfing right smack in front of what we locals call "2nd light" - basically it's the Main Gate entrance to Patrick Air Force Base. Surfed with Kelly Slater who I attended school with. 11-time World Surfing Champ and was on Baywatch.

And the Bar was most likely called "Inner Room" 🤣🤣😎🤣🤣

Cocoa Beach!!!…😜

From naked fear to nekkid women...that's some "circle of life" stuff right there.

It was my first time in a plane. 😂

South Granville intrigues me….are they good?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT