ADVERTISEMENT

South Granville at Whiteville

loveboat500

Jun 11, 2014
Look forward to hosting the South Granville team and fans at historic Legion Stadium in the first round of the 2A playoffs. Whiteville a traditional running team is throwing the ball much more with a good deal of success especially late in the season. This balance does make them a hard team to defend. Two losses were to #1 seed Clinton and our conference champion West Columbus.

whiteville will handle em I’m sure … but I wasn’t that impressed with the Wolfpack last night after seeing them and WC I’m surprised the Vikings didn’t beat them by more points….

I know the score was very lopsided last night but the Pack did not play great in the first half and South hung around for a short period of time because of it. Whiteville strolls thru this game but those mistakes from early last night will come back to haunt them if they aren’t ironed out before they face a stout team down the line. Whiteville 45-7 this week though

Last edited:
I was surprised by Pack not being able to run the ball more successfully against WC. JMO need to throw more but a good run game allows you to do more in passing game. Good luck in playoffs. I hope to see Whiteville vs ED in 2and round.

Since the WC game, the Pack is averaging 57 points per game and the defense is only giving up 6 points per game. I know we haven't been playing world beaters, but that is pretty impressive considering a lot of second teamers have been playing in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Eastcoastman1957
Look forward to hosting the South Granville team and fans at historic Legion Stadium in the first round of the 2A playoffs. Whiteville a traditional running team is throwing the ball much more with a good deal of success especially late in the season. This balance does make them a hard team to defend. Two losses were to #1 seed Clinton and our conference champion West Columbus.
I'm planning to be there on the visitor sidelines doing stats for South Granville, planning to get there real early, let me know where I can meet you......I've only been there once and that was doing the scorebook and pitch count for SG in the 4th Rd Baseball Playoff Game in 2018 that was a pitchers' duel for the ages with 2 eventual pros in Whiteville's Brooks Baldwin, now in the White Sox organization, facing off against eventual Seattle Mariners draft pick Holden Laws both keeping it scoreless going into extra innings, both starters had to be lifted when they got to the pitch count limit....SG finally scratched 1 in the top of the 9th but Whiteville got 2 in the 9th to walk it off, on their way to another state championship....I remember hearing Holden Laws tell somebody after the game, (about this game), that "THAT, WAS the state championship"....Whiteville went on to sweep North Lenoir in the regional finals, then let Ledford burn their best pitcher in Game 1 of the state finals, while saving plenty of pitching for Games 2&3 and getting it done.
Like I say, I hope to be there plenty early on Friday; hoping to avoid something like we dealt with in 2012 going to South Columbus for a 2nd Rd playoff game.....we left around 3:15, stopped in Dunn to eat and got held up there, then later hit Fayetteville traffic on 95 and it was stop and roll for 15-20 minutes.....later found some clean air on 87 but had to stop for a train in Bladenboro.....the game kicked off at 7:30 and the guy I was riding with pulled up around 7:25....I was able to hustle through the gate with my media pass, tried to hustle to the sideline, almost got run over by some motorcycles with them doing their pregame entrance, and when I dropped my bag on the sideline, the white hat blew the whistle for the opening kickoff, planning to leave much earlier this year.

And I've always like meeting folks from the board....seen some of the years from Midway, Albemarle, Southern Vance, Reidsville, Randleman, West Craven, Clinton, Roanoke Rapids, and probably a few others that either I can't remember right now or didn't know who they were

Last edited:
Not sure I can get there early, work at a busy car dealership here in town, sometimes hard to leave and get to game early on a Friday but enjoy the game and venue, Lots of history at Legion Stadium in football and baseball. Check out our new scoreboard! Players to watch on offense, #6, #3 #5 and a few others, on D #2, #22, #8 and #3 and #6 again, and several others. Offense can be lethal both running and passing, with the QB taking off when he is called on, D has been real good as well except for Clinton and some against West Columbus.

Think you will find Whiteville fans to be hospitable as well as the community, lots of places to eat.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelg
Not sure I can get there early, work at a busy car dealership here in town, sometimes hard to leave and get to game early on a Friday but enjoy the game and venue, Lots of history at Legion Stadium in football and baseball. Check out our new scoreboard! Players to watch on offense, #6, #3 #5 and a few others, on D #2, #22, #8 and #3 and #6 again, and several others. Offense can be lethal both running and passing, with the QB taking off when he is called on, D has been real good as well except for Clinton and some against West Columbus.

Think you will find Whiteville fans to be hospitable as well as the community, lots of places to eat.
Any suggestions on places to eat for guys who normally go to places like Chick Fila, Zaxbys, Bojangles, PDQ, Five Guys....already heard from a different source that Bojangles is probably a better bet than Zaxbys there if we want hot food, good service, etc.....but are there any good local mom & pop restaurants that don't cost too much and have good burgers, chicken tenders, fried fish, fries, etc.?

Reactions: Maiden Creek
As a South Granville guy, I would love to see an upset too but I know the Vikings will have their work cut out for them to stop a dual-threat QB and multiple good RBs
Yes but if you pull the upset you could come visit the home of the Defending Champs, that is if we win this week. There's history with ED and the pack, dating back to the Chester McGlocktin ( or however you spell his name ) days. Plus Brian Aldridge ( then head Coach ) left ED and coached Whiteville years ago.

Reactions: dogs79
Cool, I heard the story about Chester McGlockton on this board 20+ years ago from somebody about how he wanted some water.....no idea who they were playing against but there was a timeout and Chester called for water, and a Whiteville coach (not sure if head coach or defensive coordinator) stopped the guy running water and said NAW, THEY DON'T NEED NO WATER, so Chester went across the field to other team's huddle, helped himself to one of their water bottles, and nobody from the other sideline said a word to him

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dogs79
Yes but if you pull the upset you could come visit the home of the Defending Champs, that is if we win this week. There's history with ED and the pack, dating back to the Chester McGlocktin ( or however you spell his name ) days. Plus Brian Aldridge ( then head Coach ) left ED and coached Whiteville years ago.
Also, East Duplin is a place I've never been....we were so close to going there in regional finals in 2017 when South Granville had an undefeated season going, had to go to North Davidson in 3rd Rd, and we got behind early, battled back to within 21-13, scored in 3rd qtr to get it to 21-19 and went to for 2 pt conversion to tie and got stuffed, then got a defensive stop and got the ball back, had a great drive going and our conference offensive & defensive player of the year broke out what looked like a go-ahead TD late in 3rd qtr but one of them dreaded yellow handkerchiefs fell out of one of the ref's pockets and they said somebody was holding....did eventually move the chains a couple more times and kept on driving to around the 20 or 25, still trailing 21-19, and faced a 4th down, sent the FG team out, and tried a fake....the kicker had some speed; he also played safety, and he had some daylight but slipped and was tackled well short of the line to gain; ND QB was already having the game of his life with almost no incompletions, but his best throw of the game went over the top on the next play to give them a 28-19 lead after the extra point....and they added one more TD later in 4th Qtr to win 35-19; I just want to know what would have happened if that would-be TD hadn't been called back and we could have taken the lead 25-21....there were a bunch of North Davidson posters on the board back then who probably remember that game well....same year that we played West Craven in 2nd Rd when they were without their star RB and we ran away with it in 2nd half, I bet Otis remembers that team

Cool, I heard the story about Chester McGlockton on this board 20+ years ago from somebody about how he wanted some water.....no idea who they were playing against but there was a timeout and Chester called for water, and a Whiteville coach (not sure if head coach or defensive coordinator) stopped the guy running water and said NAW, THEY DON'T NEED NO WATER, so Chester went across the field to other team's huddle, helped himself to one of their water bottles, and nobody from the other sideline said a word to him
#10 for Clinton Amaris Williams is close to Chester’s size maybe not as tall but he has some of the same qualities and that is saying a lot. Those kind don’t come around very often.

here's my blog/article, whatever you want to call it. Columbus Co. area folks let me know if you can tell me the name of Whiteville RB #36 who got some carries in 4th quarter....there is not a 36 on the maxpreps roster; probably a JV guy pulled up for the playoffs or may have been doing the 8-quarter thing all year

WHITEVILLE - South Granville's season wrapped up on Friday with a 42-0 loss to the Whiteville Wolfpack in the first round of the state playoffs. The Vikings had the ball first but turned it over on their second snap when an option pitch was deflected, bobbled, and intercepted by a Whiteville defender. Five plays later, the Wolfpack took the lead on a two yard touchdown plunge from Jamal Faulk. Grayson Creech's extra point made it a 7-0 game, on a five play, 30 yard drive. On the next Vikings series, they were plagued by another turnover deep in their own territory. Whiteville quickly extended the lead to 14-0 on a two-play, six-yard drive, with Nallagem Powell scoring from three yards out and Creech adding another extra point. From there, the teams traded possessions for the remainder of the first half with no turnovers; the Vikings went three and out and punted on their next three series, while the South Granville defense forced a turnover on downs and two punts, keeping the Vikings within striking distance. After South Granville's fourth straight punt, the Whiteville offense put together a sustained drive, not aided by a quick turnover. It covered 12 plays in 66 yards, with quarterback Luke Odham and running back Amari Best getting most of the carries. When Odham broke off a 19 yard run to make it first down and goal from the six yard line, the Viking defense stiffened for two plays, including Brycen White sacking Odham for a five yard loss on second down. However, on third down and goal from the 10 yard line, Odham connected with Will Fisher for his only complete pass of the game and a touchdown, with only 21 seconds remaining in the second quarter. A third extra point from Grayson Creech made it a 21-0 game at halftime.
Whiteville had the ball first in the third quarter, and they moved the chains twice before the South Granville defense forced a turnover on downs at the Viking 24 yard line. From there, the Viking offense did move the chains once, on a Jamar Hicks wildcat keeper on a fourth down play, but were forced to punt again four plays later. At that point, the Whiteville offense asserted control of the game, marching 74 yards in 11 plays, keyed by four explosive running plays of 11 yards or more from Luke Odham, Amari Best, and Nallagem Powell alternating the carries to move the ball down the field. It was Jamal Faulk who scored his second touchdown of the game; this time from one yard out, to give the Wolfpack a four score lead, late in the third quarter. Another extra point from Grayson Creech made it a 28-0 game. The next South Granville possession led to lost fumble on a fourth down play. However, on the first Whiteville play after the fumble, the Wolfpack turned it right back over. When quarterback Luke Odham was throwing toward the end zone going for the knock out punch, C.J. Bacon intercepted a pass at the Viking 10 yard line an returned to near midfield. From there though, the South Granville offense continued to struggle, and turned the ball over on downs. Whiteville continued to run the ball and run the clock, and picked up another touchdown on a six-play, 46-yard drive to extend their lead to 35-0, on Nallagem Powell's second touchdown of the game, from a yard out, and another extra point from Grayson Creech. On the ensuing kickoff, Jamar Hicks hit a crease and returned the ball out to the 45 yard line, but on the Vikings' first snap, another lost fumble ended any potential scoring threat, and set up Whiteville's final scoring drive: It went 56 yards in nine plays, culminated with a five-yard touchdown run from Tyshawn Lennon and another extra point from Grayson Creech. In the second round of the playoffs, the Wolfpack will host the defending state champion East Duplin Panthers.

Box Score
SG 0-0-0-0-------0
Whi 14-7-7-14-----42

Scoring Summary
1st Quarter
9:58-Whi-Jamal Faulk 2 yd TD Run (Grayson Creech kick)
8:02-Whi-Nallagem Powell 3 yd TD Run (Creech kick)
2nd Quarter
0:21-Whi-Will Fisher 10 yd TD Pass from Luke Odham (Creech kick)
3rd Quarter
0:18-Whi-Faulk 1 yd TD Run (Creech kick)
4th Quarter
6:41-Whi-Powell 1 yd TD Run (Creech kick)
1:42-Whi-Tyshawn Lennon 5 yd TD Run (Creech kick)

Team Stats SG Whi
Offensive Snaps-Yards 33-57 65-345
Rushes-Yards 29-57 60-335
Pass Com/Att, Yds 0/4, 0 1/5, 10
First Downs 2 20
Penalties-Yards 2-10 4-30
Turnovers 4 1

Individual Stats
South Granville
Rushing
24-Cameron Dennison 15-27
2-Jamar Hicks 4-12
1-Chance Bass 1-8
4-Jaydn McNeil 6-8
16-Peyton Currin 3-2

Passing
16-Peyton Currin 0/4, 0, 1 INT

Whiteville
Rushing
6-Luke Odham 16-120
5-Amari Best 14-87
24-Nallagem Powell 15-74
21-Cameron McVian 4-14
36-**RB not on roster** 3-11
15-Zay Bennett 2-5
22-Jamal Faulk 2-3
8-J.T. Todd 1-2
10-Montrez Holland 1-2

Passing
6-Luke Odham 1/5, 10, 1 INT

Receiving
3-Will Fisher 1-10

The defense was lights out tonight, but the offence was off and on. We need to get both clicking for all 4 quarters to beat ED. If both are clicking, I think we have a very good chance to win this game. I know ED will bring the heat. I hope the Pack can do the same. If they do, we are in for a great game, with the pack by a TD. Maybe with my fingers crossed.

The defense was lights out tonight, but the offence was off and on. We need to get both clicking for all 4 quarters to beat ED. If both are clicking, I think we have a very good chance to win this game. I know ED will bring the heat. I hope the Pack can do the same. If they do, we are in for a great game, with the pack by a TD. Maybe with my fingers crossed.
Just wondering, has Whiteville played Wallace this year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT