ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NCAL Baseball State Tournament

We always told our kids before we offered them a spot on the team what being part of the team meant in many aspects which included dual participation. Since my guys honored the rule I guess I should just ignore it when other teams break it. That’s teaching them how to fight for your guys. Probably just as easy to play the kid in the next round after he left the team hanging in a win or go home game. I can live with your judgement of me. No regrets for ever fighting for my players and occasionally players on other teams, but don’t talk down to me about programs that had a real hard time on a regular basis following the rules. I apologize to the rest of you in the thread for taking this further off topic…..probably best for a mediator to delete most of this.
“Dual-participation” refers to playing with a showcase team or another travel ball team - not going to a skills camp as an individual.

But I digress - may the best team win in Buies Creek.

Reactions: Deuce_24
“Dual-participation” refers to playing with a showcase team or another travel ball team - not going to a skills camp as an individual.

But I digress - may the best team win in Buies Creek.
Pesky facts….7/11/2014
2014 Under Armour Showcase: Baseball Factory’s Team One South

Pesky facts….7/11/2014

Lol - that’s like saying you went to a UNC skills camp and at the end of the camp was on either Team Navy, Team White, or Team Blue.

Come on, man ;)

Reactions: Deuce_24
Pesky facts….7/11/2014

Under Armour was the apparel sponsor. Still a Baseball Factory event. One of the two organizations (besides USA Baseball) legion allows its players to attend.

Some “gotcha” moment there 36 😂

Under Armour was the apparel sponsor. Still a Baseball Factory event. One of the two organizations (besides USA Baseball) legion allows its players to attend.

Some “gotcha” moment there 36 😂
Since when do you hold a tryout for a skills camp? The tryout was 3/30/2014. Guess the showcase label on the website is a typo.

I guess I could have figured that.

While I don't agree with how it went down. Rules are rules. Take for instance this year. One of our best players decided to go play showcase ball in the middle of the Area tournament, and he is now no longer on the team. I hate the rule and if American Legion doesn't do something about it, then the numbers will continue to drop and there will be no more legion baseball. I don't know why they care about dual participation. If the kid lives within the district, he should be able to play legion ball. Leave it up to the coach if he wants his players playing for two different teams.
This is going by what South Carolina does.

1. Up until the State Tournment players can play travel ball.
2. Camden had a kid play travel ball during the State Tournment. Game was paused. National was called. Steve Cloud said the kid has to be taken out immediatly. There is no penalty of forfeit in the rule book.

Florence this past Sunday beat Rock Hill for the State Title. Crazy that they are already finished. Florence now has 9 days off to rest their team/pitching to face the North Carolina winner in game 1 of the Regional

This is going by what South Carolina does.

1. Up until the State Tournment players can play travel ball.
2. Camden had a kid play travel ball during the State Tournment. Game was paused. National was called. Steve Cloud said the kid has to be taken out immediatly. There is no penalty of forfeit in the rule book.

Florence this past Sunday beat Rock Hill for the State Title. Crazy that they are already finished. Florence now has 9 days off to rest their team/pitching to face the North Carolina winner in game 1 of the Regional
You better believe the Florence coaches will be at Campbell this weekend scouting. Huge advantage there. But 9 days off is a little scary in baseball.

When does a player have to stop playing on the travel team to be eligible to still make the Sr Legion roster? Meaning when is the cut off of when they can be playing both?

When does a player have to stop playing on the travel team to be eligible to still make the Sr Legion roster? Meaning when is the cut off of when they can be playing both?

It depends on how strict each state wants to make it. Remember.....states can be more restrictive. They can not be less restrictive than National. National rule is once your state tournment begins you can not play travel baseball and Legion. I believe in North Carolina it is once the playoffs start you can't play travel. In South Carolina you can until the State Tournement.

North Carolina only allows 18 players. South Carolina allows 22 and you have to cut to 18 by June 25th. Either state could say you cod have 50 players until the National deadline.

It depends on how strict each state wants to make it. Remember.....states can be more restrictive. They can not be less restrictive than National. National rule is once your state tournment begins you can not play travel baseball and Legion. I believe in North Carolina it is once the playoffs start you can't play travel. In South Carolina you can until the State Tournement.

North Carolina only allows 18 players. South Carolina allows 22 and you have to cut to 18 by June 25th. Either state could say you cod have 50 players until the National deadline.

So, in the case of a kid playing this week in NC when is the last day he could have played for his Showcase team?

By rule he could of played up until his teams first State Tournment game at Campbell. My understanding is the player is removed from the game when it is brought to tournement officals and the player is no longer allowed to play the rest of the season. It does not result in a forfeit or does the game pick back up anywhere. The player is just removed and you keep on playing.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
By rule he could of played up until his teams first State Tournment game at Campbell. My understanding is the player is removed from the game when it is brought to tournement officals and the player is no longer allowed to play the rest of the season. It does not result in a forfeit or does the game pick back up anywhere. The player is just removed and you keep on playing.
Unless they changed it, the roster must be set to 18 by the first league game. This is the biggest obstacle to Legion Baseball. With high school playoffs running into June 9ish window some years, try to make that work.

Unless they changed it, the roster must be set to 18 by the first league game. This is the biggest obstacle to Legion Baseball. With high school playoffs running into June 9ish window some years, try to make that work.
You are correct.

Reactions: Hon Dines
That is a North Carolina state rule not a national rule. South Carolina allows 22 players until June 25th and you have to cut down to 18.

I know other states allow 25. Ya'll need to bring this to your committies attention. I know in 2019 North Carolina teams were allowed more than 18 players.

That is a North Carolina state rule not a national rule. South Carolina allows 22 players until June 25th and you have to cut down to 18.

I know other states allow 25. Ya'll need to bring this to your committies attention. I know in 2019 North Carolina teams were allowed more than 18 players.
Actually it is a National rule. I communicated with National leadership after I met them in 2010. They wanted to occasionally reach out to me for a coaches perspective on upcoming rule changes and proposed amendments to current rules. As stated earlier, things could have changed as I’ve been out of coaching since 2015, but this rule was something we discussed back then. They were clear that different state’s interpretation varies, but their position on it was crystal clear. The rule caters to teams that unapologetically recruit high school teams to play their high school season and switch to a legion schedule with the exact same team after the high school season. The state of Nevada did this in 2010 and I would bet that they still do. They play in showcase tournaments and other events along with legion teams. Tennessee and Alabama both did the same. If I remember right, there were 7 Legion teams in the state of Tennessee in 2010 and about a dozen in Alabama. My understanding is the Bishop Gorman team from the NE does the same. I’m sure there are many more that do so since their state has so few teams. I learned so much in 2010 from the experience of our team in tournaments at the state, regional & World Series and from the conversations with Jim Quinlan and his team for a few years after. There was a huge disconnect between the National Committee and NC State leadership at the time. It made for some very interesting conversations and situations. One NC Committee member was so pissed that I clarified National rules that were against his established norms, he called me into a meeting with the 5 representatives of the NC Baseball Committee to have me banned from Legion Baseball. That kinda backfired on him. There is so much history and variation of how Legion Baseball works and doesn’t across the country. Would love to see unity of focus and rules to take Legion Baseball to a high level. It’s very possible if they can understand the real goal to help kids and provide an environment that allows teams with extreme variations of structure to thrive. There is a way to accommodate the vast differences between the way we do it in NC versus Nevada for example. One is crippled by the rule while the other thrives.

Actually it is a National rule. I communicated with National leadership after I met them in 2010. They wanted to occasionally reach out to me for a coaches perspective on upcoming rule changes and proposed amendments to current rules. As stated earlier, things could have changed as I’ve been out of coaching since 2015, but this rule was something we discussed back then. They were clear that different state’s interpretation varies, but their position on it was crystal clear. The rule caters to teams that unapologetically recruit high school teams to play their high school season and switch to a legion schedule with the exact same team after the high school season. The state of Nevada did this in 2010 and I would bet that they still do. They play in showcase tournaments and other events along with legion teams. Tennessee and Alabama both did the same. If I remember right, there were 7 Legion teams in the state of Tennessee in 2010 and about a dozen in Alabama. My understanding is the Bishop Gorman team from the NE does the same. I’m sure there are many more that do so since their state has so few teams. I learned so much in 2010 from the experience of our team in tournaments at the state, regional & World Series and from the conversations with Jim Quinlan and his team for a few years after. There was a huge disconnect between the National Committee and NC State leadership at the time. It made for some very interesting conversations and situations. One NC Committee member was so pissed that I clarified National rules that were against his established norms, he called me into a meeting with the 5 representatives of the NC Baseball Committee to have me banned from Legion Baseball. That kinda backfired on him. There is so much history and variation of how Legion Baseball works and doesn’t across the country. Would love to see unity of focus and rules to take Legion Baseball to a high level. It’s very possible if they can understand the real goal to help kids and provide an environment that allows teams with extreme variations of structure to thrive. There is a way to accommodate the vast differences between the way we do it in NC versus Nevada for example. One is crippled by the rule while the other thrives.

Thank You for your years of service for coaching! This was a huge fight down in South Carolina for years with other states doing it. At the time South Carolina was only allowing 18 players. I remember sitting in a South Carolina state meeting and the question arose how many players are covered under insurance. The answer was always just 18. The follow up question was what about the 40 kids that come out to a legion tryout? If all 40 get hurt and not put on your 18 man roster are all 40 covered? That question could not be answered.

Couple months go by after the state meeting and the South Carolina Legion Baseball commander provides a email from Steve Cloud that states you can have as many players on your regular season roster. You just have to have 18 by the national deadline.

Thank You for your years of service for coaching! This was a huge fight down in South Carolina for years with other states doing it. At the time South Carolina was only allowing 18 players. I remember sitting in a South Carolina state meeting and the question arose how many players are covered under insurance. The answer was always just 18. The follow up question was what about the 40 kids that come out to a legion tryout? If all 40 get hurt and not put on your 18 man roster are all 40 covered? That question could not be answered.

Couple months go by after the state meeting and the South Carolina Legion Baseball commander provides a email from Steve Cloud that states you can have as many players on your regular season roster. You just have to have 18 by the national deadline.
The Tryout Roster that you submit is the method to get temporary coverage on those players while participating in Legion activities until the roster is set. Unfortunately, the "national deadline" is the first league game. It needs to change and written clearly when amended. Believe the first step to making this change is doing away with liability insurance because that is the basis of concern with Legion officials. The benefit of insurance is not worth the damage to the structure of Legion Baseball. Most everyone has medical insurance so it really is not a big deal to do away with it. Lots of opportunities to make it better if everyone involved would push for it. Still being held back because this structure worked previously. Those days are gone and now those policies are crushing programs which will result in Legion Baseball eventually ceasing to exist without adapting while maintaining integrity. My view is to fix what is broken and hold onto what makes it work.

Post 36, you are aware that NC increased forfeit fee to $500 per team and made it non-refundable also. I fought it all the way to Raleigh and was told they needed the revenue. I asked did they not think the local team didn’t need the revenue. I was told pay it or don’t play. They wanted me to pay a $1000 and I kept saying you got $600 of my money, (3 teams in the past)I wasn’t sending another $1000.

Reactions: Post 36
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT