2023 NCAL Baseball State Tournament

Field:
Host Wayne County Post 11
2 Area I #1 Pitt County Post 39 #2 Fuquay-Varina Nationals
1 Area II Wilmington Post 10
2 Area III High Point Post 87 and Rowan County Post 342
2 Area IV Cleveland County Post 82 and Cherryville Post 100

Last edited:
A #1 gets FV first. That's tough. But Pitt must be legit too.
yes didn't want to tell the Area 4 winner until later today. Pitt came on late going into the Area 1 playoffs they were 9-9. They sweep round one and 2. Then beat FV 6-2 to get #1 seed.
Hope to have brackets up this morning sometime.

yes didn't want to tell the Area 4 winner until later today. Pitt came on late going into the Area 1 playoffs they were 9-9. They sweep round one and 2. Then beat FV 6-2 to get #1 seed.
Won't know the Area 4 winner until after the best of 3 series. It starts today.

Day 1 July 25th
10 am Area 1 #1(Pitt County) vs Area 4 #2

1 pm Area 3 #2 vs Area 2 #1

4 pm Host (Wayne County) vs Area 3 #1

7 pm Area 4 #1 vs Area 1 #2(Fuquay-Varina)

Last edited:
How’s Wayne, Hon? Does home field advantage matter much against High Point?
Wayne and Fuquay are in the same division in Area 1. They have a lot of pitching!
Wayne has played many games at Jim Perry stadium this year but here lately they have slipped a bit.

Full Schedule:
(Tuesday, July 25)
Game 1 – Area 1 No. 1 (Pitt County Post 39) vs. Area 4 No. 2(Cleveland County) 10 a.m.
Game 2 – Area 3 No. 2(High Point) vs. Area 2 No. 1 (Wilmington), 1 p.m.
Game 3 – Area 1 No. 3(Host) (Wayne County Post 11) vs. Area 3 No. 1(Rowan County) 4:30 p.m.
Game 4 – Area 1 No. 2 (Fuquay-Varina Post 116) vs. Area 4 No. 1(Cherryville) 7:30 p.m.

(Wednesday, July 26)
Game 5 – Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2, 10 a.m.
Game 6 – Loser Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4, 1 p.m.
Game 7 – Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2, 4:30 p.m.
Game 8 – Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 7 p.m.

(Thursday, July 27)
Game 9 – Winner Game 5 vs. Loser Game 7, 1 p.m.
Game 10 – Winner Game 6 vs. Loser Game 8, 4:30 p.m.
Game 11 – Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8, 7:30 p.m.

(Friday, July 28)
Game 12 – Winner Game 10 vs. Loser Game 11, 4:30 p.m.
Game 13 – Winner Game 11 vs. Winner Game 9, 7:30 p.m.

(Saturday, July 29)
Game 14 – Winner Game 12 vs. Winner Game 13, Noon
Game 15 – if necessary, 3 p.m.

Last edited:
We should know the pairings for the next 100 years. Should be set with an ongoing rotation that repeats itself. No judgement needed and therefore no chance of bias. I’ll go ahead and cover the excuse to not do this. If a different Area hosts other than the scheduled Area, just change the game times instead of the matchups with the host becoming the absent Area’s second seed. Only in this situation so what if it means you play a team from your Area. If one Area is getting 3 teams into the tournament because the scheduled host Area didn’t provide a host, it is understandable to potentially have the host play a team from their Area. Please don’t take this as a jab at current leadership, but a suggestion to continue to correct some old methods that need to be replaced. I’m more than happy to entertain suggested alternatives.

Cherryville is another team that came on late going 9-1 in the playoffs and winning 15 of their last 17 games. They were 7-10 in their first 17 games.

But they really got a tough draw in having to play a loaded host Fuquay team in game 1 and if they beat Fuquay they likely play Rowan as their 2nd opponent. I do like the fact the tournament is double elimination this year rather than pool play.

We should know the pairings for the next 100 years. Should be set with an ongoing rotation that repeats itself. No judgement needed and therefore no chance of bias. I’ll go ahead and cover the excuse to not do this. If a different Area hosts other than the scheduled Area, just change the game times instead of the matchups with the host becoming the absent Area’s second seed. Only in this situation so what if it means you play a team from your Area. If one Area is getting 3 teams into the tournament because the scheduled host Area didn’t provide a host, it is understandable to potentially have the host play a team from their Area. Please don’t take this as a jab at current leadership, but a suggestion to continue to correct some old methods that need to be replaced. I’m more than happy to entertain suggested alternatives.
Agreed. Either that, or what I've said before. Draw it out like the World Cup does.

Hope Rowan or HP bring it home - but as long it's anybody except Cleveland (Shelby), I will be good with it.
We're (Cleveland) too young to win it this year. We started 5 sophomores in the Area Championship Series. What do you have against Cleveland?

We're (Cleveland) too young to win it this year. We started 5 sophomores in the Area Championship Series. What do you have against Cleveland?
2014 NC State Tournament in Lexington is really all that needs to be said. Haven't had a single ounce of respect for them ever since they pulled those shenanigans back then.

I guess I could have figured that.

While I don't agree with how it went down. Rules are rules. Take for instance this year. One of our best players decided to go play showcase ball in the middle of the Area tournament, and he is now no longer on the team. I hate the rule and if American Legion doesn't do something about it, then the numbers will continue to drop and there will be no more legion baseball. I don't know why they care about dual participation. If the kid lives within the district, he should be able to play legion ball. Leave it up to the coach if he wants his players playing for two different teams.

BBB, here's an article from the Shelby Star about this incident in 2014. Post 82 was called Shelby, back then. I remember there was a lot of animosity. I like both teams and really felt bad for High Point. They may have been called the Hi-Toms (High Point and Thomasville). I'm thinking Shelby would go on to win the tournament.

I guess I could have figured that.

While I don't agree with how it went down. Rules are rules. Take for instance this year. One of our best players decided to go play showcase ball in the middle of the Area tournament, and he is now no longer on the team. I hate the rule and if American Legion doesn't do something about it, then the numbers will continue to drop and there will be no more legion baseball. I don't know why they care about dual participation. If the kid lives within the district, he should be able to play legion ball. Leave it up to the coach if he wants his players playing for two different teams.
I get where you're coming from and agree with the points that you have made - but the one kid in question went to a showcase camp (not even to play for another travel team) that was a big-time sponsor of American Legion baseball. The Baseball Factory I believe it was at the time. To make it even more comical, there was an American Legion national publication that displayed a 1-page ad of The Baseball Factory as a "proud sponsor of American Legion baseball" - you literally cannot make this stuff up 🤣

Two of my best friends were coaching at HP at the time (The head coach and one of the assistant coaches). They had the best team in the state that year (possibly the country) - it's just sad that they couldn't represent NC in the regionals and/or World Series.

Reactions: Deuce_24
Here is another article from the Greensboro News & Record, but in this one the writer appears to be pretty irritated about the incident and takes a local point of view.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
BBB, here's an article from the Shelby Star about this incident in 2014. Post 82 was called Shelby, back then. I remember there was a lot of animosity. I like both teams and really felt bad for High Point. They may have been called the Hi-Toms (High Point and Thomasville). I'm thinking Shelby would go on to win the tournament.
You’re right Lincolnton that the team is called the Hi-Toms. The players are mostly from High Point, but the City of Thomasville owns the field. It is rare that a Thomasville kid plays for the Hi-Toms Post 87 legion team, even though their parents own the field.
I don’t know the merits of rhe arguments in the 2014 situation, but find it amusing that the indignant Mr. Suire claims the moral high ground. He isn’t often found on that lofty perch. Ask any area Legion follower.

Reactions: Lincolnton
I know if I was on the wrong side of it, I would be very upset too. But should the blame be on Shelby? Or the legion officials who made the decision. My last year playing for Shelby in 2005, the state tournament was at Cherryville. Before the tournament started, we were told that every game would be played completely. All 9 innings. There was a lot of rain forecasted that week. I can't remember who we were playing but they jumped out on us 5-0, or something like that. But we had scored several in a row and had runners on base with 0 outs in the 6th inning, only down a run or 2. Rain came, and we waited for hours to resume play. Bobby Dale and the tournament crew put out hundreds of dollars worth of quick dry to get the field ready to play. Then the officials came out and called the game and we took an L. Not only were we furious, but Bobby Dale was too because of all the money he wasted in quick dry.

So we have been screwed before. Maybe not to the extent as High Point did. But I feel your pain.

OC, if anyone in the Triad is an informed citizen, you are, course, For a long time you had no choice but to be informed.
Also, from what I've been seeing on the internet and hearing on the radio the weather is going to get pretty nasty, heat wise.
Be careful not to get dehydrated. I got dehydrated a couple of times. It feels like taking a big drink of liquor, and the wall has kind of a gentle wave to it. Problem is that I needed to hold onto something.
Hope you can sit it out at your mountain home where it's much cooler.

BBB, Shelby was pretty good around that time. One year, at Cherryville, Garner won it, but seems like Caldwell protested and got it upheld.

Side Note: OC, speaking of the mountain location where you go, A friend retired from his job just a while back. He and his wife moved to a place called Lowgap, NC. I'm thinking like he said it was in the general vicinity of where your home is located.

Last edited:
I know if I was on the wrong side of it, I would be very upset too. But should the blame be on Shelby? Or the legion officials who made the decision. My last year playing for Shelby in 2005, the state tournament was at Cherryville. Before the tournament started, we were told that every game would be played completely. All 9 innings. There was a lot of rain forecasted that week. I can't remember who we were playing but they jumped out on us 5-0, or something like that. But we had scored several in a row and had runners on base with 0 outs in the 6th inning, only down a run or 2. Rain came, and we waited for hours to resume play. Bobby Dale and the tournament crew put out hundreds of dollars worth of quick dry to get the field ready to play. Then the officials came out and called the game and we took an L. Not only were we furious, but Bobby Dale was too because of all the money he wasted in quick dry.

So we have been screwed before. Maybe not to the extent as High Point did. But I feel your pain.
NC directors were going to "disqualify" Trejo and HP was going to continue in the tournament without him - crazy thing is that he was like their 7th-best player, so missing him wouldn't have even mattered too much. But, that was not good enough for Shelby, so they went above the state directors heads to the national directors, and the national directors made the ultimate call.

Bottom line - Shelby got smacked by HP and were butt-hurt. Found out Trejo participated in a legion-sanctioned 1-to-2-day camp (not even playing for another team), filed the protest, and ultimately won.

Place the blame wherever you want - but I would feel really slimy pulling what Shelby coaches pulled in 2014.

Reactions: Deuce_24
NC directors were going to "disqualify" Trejo and HP was going to continue in the tournament without him - crazy thing is that he was like their 7th-best player, so missing him wouldn't have even mattered too much. But, that was not good enough for Shelby, so they went above the state directors heads to the national directors, and the national directors made the ultimate call.

Bottom line - Shelby got smacked by HP and were butt-hurt. Found out Trejo participated in a legion-sanctioned 1-to-2-day camp (not even playing for another team), filed the protest, and ultimately won.

Place the blame wherever you want - but I would feel really slimy pulling what Shelby coaches pulled in 2014.
Yea...... I understand. It wasn't a great way to win a state.

However, everyone that was involved in that is gone and the current coaches have nothing to do with the previous regime.

OC, if anyone in the Triad is an informed citizen, you are, course, For a long time you had no choice but to be informed.
Also, from what I've been seeing on the internet and hearing on the radio the weather is going to get pretty nasty, heat wise.
Be careful not to get dehydrated. I got dehydrated a couple of times. It feels like taking a big drink of liquor, and the wall has kind of a gentle wave to it. Problem is that I needed to hold onto something.
Hope you can sit it out at your mountain home where it's much cooler.

BBB, Shelby was pretty good around that time. One year, at Cherryville, Garner won it, but seems like Caldwell protested and got it upheld.

Side Note: OC, speaking of the mountain location where you go, A friend retired from his job just a while back. He and his wife moved to a place called Lowgap, NC. I'm thinking like he said it was in the general vicinity of where your home is located.
Low Gap is about an hour away, more toward Mount Airy. But it a beautiful drive through Sparta.

Absolutely not. Nice try. 😂😂
We Cherryville fans loved to be hated. We take it as a kind of respect for the all the success we have had in Area IV during the Bobby Dale Reynolds's coaching era.

Speaking of the rules, Cherryville has to know and abide by all the Legion rules because I guarantee the other teams will catch us in heart beat if we don't. Regardless, Caldwell County still accuses us of everything under the sun even if none of it is true. They hate us the most.

• Love

Everything OP stated is spot on. That is exactly the way it went down.

Incredibly sad and pathetic the way that was all handled. Post 87 was - by far - the best team in the state that summer and it wasn’t even really close. In my opinion, they were the favorites to win it all that year. Stud after stud in that lineup and on the bump.

Shame on Shelby and shame on the American Legion (state and national levels) on how that was handled and for what they took away from those kids.

Reactions: CLTTarHeel33
Everything OP stated is spot on. That is exactly the way it went down.

Incredibly sad and pathetic the way that was all handled. Post 87 was - by far - the best team in the state that summer and it wasn’t even really close. In my opinion, they were the favorites to win it all that year. Stud after stud in that lineup and on the bump.

Shame on Shelby and shame on the American Legion (state and national levels) on how that was handled and for what they took away from those kids.
Here are the facts aka the truth. Trejo, their “7th best player” hit 3rd for them in game 1 & 2, 4th in game 3 & 4, and didn’t play in game 5 against us (Kernersville). Was told during BP that he was at a combine and not sure if he would be at the game. After figuring out that he was possibly at the Baseball Factory Showcase, I told the Hitoms coaching staff before the game that I would protest if he had attended the Baseball Factory event and subsequently showed up and played against us. Honestly can’t remember if he showed up to the game or not, but he did not play in Game 5. Everyone who wants to pick and choose which rules we follow is part of the problem. I didn’t and still don’t agree with some of the rules in Legion baseball but I complained up the chain and often when I was involved. Fix the real problem by working through the right channels to resolve them. Getting “caught” when you had already been informed of the rule prior to violating it and holding a “press conference” as the victim is way more concerning than turning in a team for breaking a known rule.

Reactions: Linkman
Here are the facts aka the truth. Trejo, their “7th best player” hit 3rd for them in game 1 & 2, 4th in game 3 & 4, and didn’t play in game 5 against us (Kernersville). Was told during BP that he was at a combine and not sure if he would be at the game. After figuring out that he was possibly at the Baseball Factory Showcase, I told the Hitoms coaching staff before the game that I would protest if he had attended the Baseball Factory event and subsequently showed up and played against us. Honestly can’t remember if he showed up to the game or not, but he did not play in Game 5. Everyone who wants to pick and choose which rules we follow is part of the problem. I didn’t and still don’t agree with some of the rules in Legion baseball but I complained up the chain and often when I was involved. Fix the real problem by working through the right channels to resolve them. Getting “caught” when you had already been informed of the rule prior to violating it and holding a “press conference” as the victim is way more concerning than turning in a team for breaking a known rule.
Imagine wanting to (Kernersville) and turning (Shelby) in a player who went to an AMERICAN-LEGION SPONSORED showcase camp, one that gave $150,000 to American Legion Baseball to partner with them. As someone mentioned before The Baseball Factory took out an entire page advertisement in the American Legion Rule Book for goodness sake.

To me it’s unreal that any baseball coach or AD would want to turn a kid (team) in for attending a skills-based camp that was attended by college coaches and MLB scouts.

Lol.

Imagine wanting to (Kernersville) and turning (Shelby) in a player who went to an AMERICAN-LEGION SPONSORED showcase camp, one that gave $150,000 to American Legion Baseball to partner with them. As someone mentioned before The Baseball Factory took out an entire page advertisement in the American Legion Rule Book for goodness sake.

To me it’s unreal that any baseball coach or AD would want to turn a kid (team) in for attending a skills-based camp that was attended by college coaches and MLB scouts.

Lol.
We always told our kids before we offered them a spot on the team what being part of the team meant in many aspects which included dual participation. Since my guys honored the rule I guess I should just ignore it when other teams break it. That’s teaching them how to fight for your guys. Probably just as easy to play the kid in the next round after he left the team hanging in a win or go home game. I can live with your judgement of me. No regrets for ever fighting for my players and occasionally players on other teams, but don’t talk down to me about programs that had a real hard time on a regular basis following the rules. I apologize to the rest of you in the thread for taking this further off topic…..probably best for a mediator to delete most of this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT