ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Champions are too Typical

And Mt. Airy better enjoy the football wins while they last cause WSP is coming!!! And from what I'm hearing Carver maybe coming too for 1A football real soon!!! (I hope its not true but I'm hearing we are petitioning to join 1A next year due to our 1A numbers and travel concerns with conference affiliation)

Here's a fun fact for all of you defending Bishop..... They went to a basketball tournament in FORT MYERS, FLORIDA!!! No other team in the state could do that with the money we get. Schools like Oak Hill and Word of God get those chances, but a NCHSAA member school? Who paid for that?

The parents paid out of pocket for their kids and for the coaches, some parents that couldn't afford it got help from other parents who are better off financially. Players stayed 4 to a room at the hotel to try to save money. All players and parents drove separately to southern Florida, sorry, no first class plane rides, not even any coach plane rides. Get a life.....

And why was this even an option for them? why Florida? Why not save the money and stay close to home, because there are good tournaments around in NC/SC during New Years.. I wouldn't have paid that money for my kid to go to Florida for 3 games and come back when they could play local.

Originally posted by All-out_34:
Here's a fun fact for all of you defending Bishop..... They went to a basketball tournament in FORT MYERS, FLORIDA!!! No other team in the state could do that with the money we get. Schools like Oak Hill and Word of God get those chances, but a NCHSAA member school? Who paid for that?
That sounds good to a prospective student athlete , if you come here to play we will travel to Atlanta (WSP) or Florida (Bishop) for a tournament then we will come back and beat up on the 1A teams all year until the state finals where we might be tested . Of course, they don't recruit though. The rules are not the same for small town 1A versus big city 1A . Make the rules about residency the same for everyone or do away with the rules and lets have a free for ALL !!

all out...pretty sad that you wouldn't have paid the money for your kid to go to Florida. Since that trip was her Christmas present my daughter thought it was a pretty special for us to spend that time together including two full days in a car just the two of us talking and listening to music (even some of mine). Priceless memories...obviously you wouldn't understand.

3GIRLS U WILL JUST NEVER GET IT!
aS FOR MA CHOKERS comment thats pretty good.......42-7 choke on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gal - my point and question is simple, where do you draw the line on when a team has an advantage over other teams. If Swain can get athletes from Bryson City or the Res, and vice versa is it an advantage other schools don't have? The answer is yes. The same thing applies to other schools that allow transfers. It's just commical to hear a Mt Airy or Swain poster talk about WSP or BM having an advantage over them when they have advantages over other schools.

Folks, Bishop has an advantage in that they dont have a boundary. But as a Forsyth County guy I wouldn't exactly accuse them of recruiting as I would all the public schools in our County!! Most if not all the people that attend Bishop are of the Catholic faith. If I were of that faith I would probably send my child to a Catholic school if I could afford to do so. Now most if not all the girls on in the program come up through Catholic elementary and middle schools so therefore they naturally feed into Bishop. But I still think they have an advantage because the kids come from all over. But again I wouldnt accuse them of recruiting. In Forsyth County we all live by the motto "If you build it, they will come!!!"

Thanks for proving our point buzz, no one complains about Bishop during football season, especially Mt. Airy with their out of district players. You only whine like a little girl when you lose and you ALWAYS have an excuse when Mt. Airy loses.

Originally posted by exsshs:

Gal - my point and question is simple, where do you draw the line on when a team has an advantage over other teams. If Swain can get athletes from Bryson City or the Res, and vice versa is it an advantage other schools don't have? The answer is yes. The same thing applies to other schools that allow transfers. It's just commical to hear a Mt Airy or Swain poster talk about WSP or BM having an advantage over them when they have advantages over other schools.
It serves as just as big as a disadvantage when we lose players too so therefor it is a wash. And with us you are talking about outside of the last three years all the athletes you are talking about have been in our system their whole highschool career as oppossed to teams reloading year after year after year from numerous feeder schools. To compare the two situations is completely ignorant. Not even in the same ball park. And when did you ever hear a Swain poster ever say that WSP or BM had an advantage over us? To be honest I dont even know where BM is, that is how relevant they are to me and the program I support. My original post was not crying around like everyone else is about their dominance. My post was saying that in all honesty the gap between them and their traditional competition is not that far apart. It was a challenge to the traditional schools under the current system as it is to keep working hard at closing the gap which they are right there.

gal the issue here is can a student that does not live in your district attend your school. My answer is that probably every school, including one school Alleghaney has or has had students that do not live in the district. A teacher may live in another county and their child comes to school with the . That is the most common occurrence. There will always be an exception. For the Avery and East Carterette fans to get exactly what they want would probably leave very few schools in the 1A division that they would like to okay in.

Originally posted by 3daughters:
Thanks for proving our point buzz, no one complains about Bishop during football season, especially Mt. Airy with their out of district players. You only whine like a little girl when you lose and you ALWAYS have an excuse when Mt. Airy loses.
Again I am not that guy and you will always be jealous of the MA FOOTBALL PROGRAM!

Uttb they are not all catholic or come from their feeder schools. It is not a requirement but 80pct or more are. They have had several players transfer in from in from Weslyan Christian Academy and they dont have to sit out because it is a private.school and they may have been in nchsaa for many years but were an independent for a long time

This post was edited on 3/19 8:03 PM by sbbbfan

If a student transfers to a parochial school after first day of freshman year they should sit out 365 unless they came from a parochial school. A student can leave a private and attend his home district school without sitting out.

Btango you gotta be kidding. Do you really think the problem is kids that go to school where there parents work. And I am just curious what the names of the kids that played for Alleghany that were out of district and where they played their college ball at. You are right it is a reasonably common occurrence for kids to go to school where their parents work. That is a common sense rule to help parents and kids with the logistics of getting back and forth to school and I am very curious as to how many state championships that rule helped Alleghany or Avery or Mitchell or any of the true small community schools win. I can assure you that the Alleghany Trojans owe NO ONE an apology for where they get their players from.
I am just a little short of 50 so I cant remember the 60s very well and I will admit that my memory has began to fail a bit, but I can remember 1 D1 full scholarship athlete coming from Alleghany county in any of the big 3 sports. Jerry Duncan did go to Alabama and play offensive guard for Bear Bryant in the mid 60s, and we had a MLB first round pick or two in the 70s, a handful of D2 partial scholarship players and a few more d3s but they were all our kids from our district and kids that we can be very proud of because they were our kids. In regards to how many 1a schools there would be for us to play if Avery and EC got what they wanted. We would rather have the 20 smallest 2a schools drop down to 1a as long as they got their kids the right way. I do blame the NCHSAA for not addressing this issue, but the entire problem is not their fault. Many of these rules are written with lots of common sense in mind, the problem is that some schools stretch the rules and refuse to honor the spirit in which the rules were written. To insinuate that kids going to school where their parents work is the problem only brings one common quote to mind COME ON MAN.
This post was edited on 3/20 12:22 AM by oldblueridge

Two things.

One if Bishop really recruited then why does the majority of his AAU program go to public schools and why does the majority of his high school team actually come from Catholic feeder schools?

Two...why talk trash about schools that have a deep bench of players? My daughters are in a public school and we lost in the third round of playoffs to a team that had a deep bench. Why did we lose? We lost because the other team had more players that practiced and played year round. Did it suck to lose? Yes.

However, how can I be mad at the fact that the team who beat us put in the work, both individually and as a team.

I guess it is just aggravating to see parents gripe about Bishop instead of developing players on their team to be competitive. The girls that practice year around put in the work. They are practicing 6-8 hours a week with teams, they are going to Athletic Republic or like minded trainers to work on speed and agility, they are at the YMCA's playing pick up ball, they are eating healthy, training with weights, etc. They are spending summer vacations playing basketball against nationally ranked teams. They are waking up early or going to bed late because they are in the gym shooting. They are ball handling in their bedrooms, basements and garages. They eat, sleep and breathe basketball. And they have been doing this since they were 8 and 9 years old.

We don't have the money? Most of the bigger girls programs have scholarships in place to help the girls and their families. So, instead of being mad because a school beats you.....have your child and her teammates spend from today until high school season starts putting in the work. And then beat Bishop next year...beat them because you are better than them. Just imagine if every girl on your high school team spent part of each day ball handling, lifting weights, jump roping and putting up 300 shots....imagine the team you could become....good luck!

Originally posted by OneBbmom:
Two things.

One if Bishop really recruited then why does the majority of his AAU program go to public schools and why does the majority of his high school team actually come from Catholic feeder schools?

Two...why talk trash about schools that have a deep bench of players? My daughters are in a public school and we lost in the third round of playoffs to a team that had a deep bench. Why did we lose? We lost because the other team had more players that practiced and played year round. Did it suck to lose? Yes.

However, how can I be mad at the fact that the team who beat us put in the work, both individually and as a team.

I guess it is just aggravating to see parents gripe about Bishop instead of developing players on their team to be competitive. The girls that practice year around put in the work. They are practicing 6-8 hours a week with teams, they are going to Athletic Republic or like minded trainers to work on speed and agility, they are at the YMCA's playing pick up ball, they are eating healthy, training with weights, etc. They are spending summer vacations playing basketball against nationally ranked teams. They are waking up early or going to bed late because they are in the gym shooting. They are ball handling in their bedrooms, basements and garages. They eat, sleep and breathe basketball. And they have been doing this since they were 8 and 9 years old.

We don't have the money? Most of the bigger girls programs have scholarships in place to help the girls and their families. So, instead of being mad because a school beats you.....have your child and her teammates spend from today until high school season starts putting in the work. And then beat Bishop next year...beat them because you are better than them. Just imagine if every girl on your high school team spent part of each day ball handling, lifting weights, jump roping and putting up 300 shots....imagine the team you could become....good luck!
Imagine if every team played by the same rules . No one is mad because a team beat them, like you want to believe is the case. That's an elitist attitude, because you are missing the point that people just want the game to be fair from the beginning. Put Bishop and WSP in 4A where they belong or allow them to play players that come from the immediate area like everyone else has to do it. I've seen you guys try to change the subject or deflect the real reason of this controversy. the fact remains the rules are different for your team than for mine. Make the rules the same or carry an asterisk in the win column.

Our school is 3a and our county you have to play with kids in your school district yet we play Forsyth county schools which has totally different rules....So it's the exact same thing. Forsyth County has stacked and unstacked high schools, so why is it okay for a NC public school to pull from a huge base and the private Catholic school not? I guess nothing will ever be fair until somebody beats Bishop.

This post was edited on 3/20 8:21 AM by OneBbmom

This post was edited on 3/20 8:29 AM by OneBbmom

This post was edited on 3/20 9:11 AM by OneBbmom

Originally posted by OneBbmom:
Our school is 3a and our county you have to play with kids in your school district yet we play Forsyth county schools which has totally different rules....So it's the exact same thing. Forsyth County has stacked and unstacked high schools, so why is it okay for a NC public school to pull from a huge base and the private Catholic school not? I guess nothing will ever be fair until somebody beats Bishop.

This post was edited on 3/20 8:21 AM by OneBbmom

This post was edited on 3/20 8:29 AM by OneBbmom

This post was edited on 3/20 9:11 AM by OneBbmom
You have answered your own question: those public schools that" pull from a Hugh base" are 3A or 4A schools not 1A. I don't care if Bishop wins a game or not all non-boundry schools need to enter a separate division in the playoffs.

Pirate Dad. You had an unfair advantage over that fish, but I see it didn't stop you. The fish should have been given anti fishing equipment to level the playing field. Stop crying!

Gal - you cannot deny the fact that student football players from the Res go where the football program is best. Some years ago when Cherokee won the SMC I assure you the best athletes from the Res went to Cherokee. The 2012 Swain team had several stud athletes that lived in Cherokee; regardless of where they started their HS careers. Without those athletes Swain would not have won the Western 1AA. I'm happy to see Tisho made Tennessee's spring roster; very good athlete.

Typical elitist attempt to change the subject . Nobody is asking for any special treatment " COACH" . Its quite to the contrary . We are simply asking that you be held to the same standard as everyone else.

By the way the photo is not me , it is Jeff Connor , Head Strength Coach at ECU formerly of UNC fishing from my best friends boat in the middle of Neuse River. Typical attempt by your type , someone who knows nothing about fishing or fair play to say someone who lands a fifty pound Old Drum somehow had an advantage over that beast. WSP had no advantage over my Mariners either. The advantage is over the other 25 teams they played this year and next. We pretty much evened out with them in all stats all year except for one point and one second . You go ahead and play with the asterisk on your shoulder , "COACH" and East , Avery and the others will continue to play with a CHIP ON OURS !!!

How many years did Tisho play at Swain and did he come from Cherokee during his high school years. This is one of the exceptions as I would think Tisho's home district public is Swain but he had the option to attend the federal school on the Reservation. I am interested in the rules on this if anyone can help.

3 asterisk in a row and 4 total. How many do you have without any asterisk? ZERO! Any great team knows how to utilize the rules to their advantage. We haven't broken any rules. And what do you mean my type? You must mean WINNER! Typical attempt by your type, WHINER!

Okay let me say this.... I am 3 years removed from playing at the 1A level... I was an assistant coach for a 2A school this year... When I was at 1A we had to play W-S Prep in the tournament when McClinton was there... I had been offered by D3 and NAIA schools, we were 24-5 and an amazing team... But we couldn't stay with Preps bench... They had 6 D1 athletes on that roster!!! All because they can get players from anywhere in the county... Bishop does the same deal with womens.. If Louisville won the men's NCAA championship 9 times in a row we all would say nothing was unfair? No the NCAA would investigate and something would be done.. The NCHSAA knows there is an issue and just ignores it. Until teams and coaches take a stand nothing will be done. Period

as a father who has had 3 daughters play basketball at bishop you have no clue about bishop's girls team, absolutely no clue at all

Where do you live 3 daughters? Greensboro? High Point? Winston Salem?

I will concur that catching the fish in the photo is a tough proposition! It is hard enough to just get them on the line.

7 minutes from bishop's front door, closer than the Catholic elementary school my kids went to

Originally posted by coach1530:

3 asterisk in a row and 4 total. How many do you have without any asterisk? ZERO! Any great team knows how to utilize the rules to their advantage. We haven't broken any rules. And what do you mean my type? You must mean WINNER! Typical attempt by your type, WHINER!
I mean by your type someone who will refuse to admit when they are wrong on an issue. You know it but wont admit it. It is what it is . * * * * .

oldblueridge you missed the point of my post. The post was directed at gal durnit and his conversation with exsshs. Not sure if you have read the numerous posts and threads about this issue but one of the main complaints is that "true" district schools should be 1A and schools that can draw from outside a set district should be in another division. My question has been where do you draw the line (?). My whole reason for bringing this up is because of what you typed, "Many of these rules are written with lots of common sense in mind, the
problem is that some schools stretch the rules and refuse to honor the
spirit in which the rules were written." I am looking for reasonable ideas and as I have written when you propose a change you must show a plan that includes the changes for everyone involved.

Note that I did not write that Alleghaney had students from outside the district but I did imply that it was possible and I used the most simple form of this. I know it is possible because I know of a 1A schools that have had a very good player come to their school due to the parent teaching there. The student crossed over a third district to get to the school. The school he left was a larger school basketball power. There was no illegal activity but it caused some eyebrows to be raised. Had the same situation cause a student to lose his senior year of eligibility due to a technicality about six years ago. Probably cost him an FCS level scholarship. Excelled at D2. To go further with this, remember a few years ago a school forfeited a state 3A hoops title. One approach that was used was to hire someone at the school so their son could attend the school from another county. This should help show that my post was spot on and works in conjunction with your sentence quoted above.

My post was made on a cell phone while in transit so I cleaned a few things up and added a few items (non highlighted) to help with my reasoning of the post. Here is the updated post:
gal the issue here is can a student that does not live in
your district attend your school.
(If yes, can they play sports, if yes, does that knock that school out of the "regular" 1A?) My answer is that probably every
school, including one school
(county) Alleghaney has or has had students that do
not live in the district. A teacher may live in another county and
their child comes to school with them. That is the most common
occurrence. There will always be an exception. For the Avery and East
Carterette fans to get exactly what they want would probably leave very
few schools in the 1A division that they would be okay
(with in a "regular" 1A).

I do not think WSP nor Bishop should have an asterisk by their records or state titles. They did no wrong doing based on the rules in place that govern them. The issue is not what has occurred but what regulations need to be set in place going forward. I have listed mine about Bishop. WSP is a totally different animal than Bishop and may be the forerunner of a long line of these types of challenges.

I constantly wrote that constituents where missing the big picture when they tried to oust the parochial schools. The elephant was on the door step and the door was cracked. Next up, home schooled students being allowed to play school sports. Get ready, because it has support although it failed in it's previous Senate and House Bill forms. Believe me, the NCHSAA does not want it but the politicians trump them as we have seen with the changing of conference alignments without communicating with Chapel Hill.

daughter, 7 minutes? How fast do you drive? Winston Salem to Bishop in 7 minutes? Still no answer on this years team. Only one from kernersville and she went to a public middle school?

you might want to look at a map to see where Bishop is located, obvious that you've never been there

Coach 1530. I really hope coach 1530 is just a screen name that you use on here, and your are not really a coach, because if you are and you are truly proud of those 4 asterisk championships then I am truly sorry for you. You took a team with the equivalent of very good 4a talent and won 4 championships against 1a competition. May I be the first to offer my congratulations because that is truly a feat. Instead of being proud of winning those 4 championships, you should be truly embarrassed by the fact that you very nearly lost to a group of small town kids who did everything the right way and lost by 1 point on a last second shot. I will offer my true congratulations to the EC team. You guys nearly pulled off something extraordinary against huge odds. A real 1a team against an All Star team from Forsyth county. I wish that I could have been there to pull for you even though I am a big western regional guy. I had no respect for WSP nor anything that they have accomplished before this so called coach got on here, and I can assure that he hasn't helped anything.

daughters, kernersville to winston salem 10.1 miles, you could do it in 7 minutes i bet. Maybe even stop at a public middle school and watch a future player.

love the sarcasm cp, unfortunately for you I don't live in Winston-Salem. Again, look at the map and you will see that bishop basically sits on the Guilford/Forstyh County line. Greensboro and High Point physically touch each other, you leave one city and you are in the other. Kernersville, and specifically the school itself, is only a couple of miles from the Greensboro line (maybe 2-3 minutes) and is 10 miles from Winston. In fact, much of Kernersville has a Winston-Salem mailing address. Bishop likewise is only a couple of miles from the High Point line. The city limits of High Point are in 4 different counties (Guilford, Forsyth, Davidson, Randolph). One kid can live in High Point and go to Ledford in Davdison County, another kid can live in High Point and go to Glenn in Forsyth County, and one kid can live in High Point and go to Trinity in Randolph county, and one kid can live in High Point and go to Southwest Guilford and all four kids live within a stones throw of each other.

Bishop was built in Kernerville for one reason: to be very close to the Catholic kids in Greensboro, High Point, Kernersville and Winston... yes it is 7 minutes to the front door (although I will admit that I drive faster than many so it may take someone else 8 or 9 minutes)

So you are admitting that you draw from a very large area? All those kids you spoke about can also attend Bishop? Not typical of small town teams. We have very good athletes in our rural county who live less than 5 minutes from our school doors. They are assigned by boundary to the other county school. All we ask is boundaries vs non-boundaries level the playing field.

Bishop does not "draw" from a huge area, it draws almost exclusively from the Catholic community. All of the girls on the team this year are Catholic kids except one and she lives 120 seconds from the front door of the school. Very few non-Catholics want to spend 8-10,000 per year and have their kids in daily Catholic religion classes and attend Catholic Masses weekly just so their daughter can play basketball. Bishop is not a Triad all-star team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT