ADVERTISEMENT

Top Girl Teams in the West

N Wilkes plays RJ Reynolds in the championship of the Mary Garber Tournament.
It’s early but the teams in the CPC 4A will struggle against other 4A teams.

Some early interesting games:
Independence beat a traditionally decent Dudley by 60.
Oak Grove beat Randleman by 19.

Lake Norman is going to be a problem for anyone they face this year which has been recognized as they are considered the 3rd best team in the state. Yes they no longer have the best player in the state Kirsten Lewis-Williams but they have two of the best scores in Samatha Shehan who just scored 44 in 20min and Kelsy Rhyne who as freshman made 82 3pts. The best on ball defender I have seen in Sirianni and depth at the post and guards. They are still a young team with no seniors but they will blow out a lot of teams.

Lake Norman is going to be a problem for anyone they face this year which has been recognized as they are considered the 3rd best team in the state. Yes they no longer have the best player in the state Kirsten Lewis-Williams but they have two of the best scores in Samatha Shehan who just scored 44 in 20min and Kelsy Rhyne who as freshman made 82 3pts. The best on ball defender I have seen in Sirianni and depth at the post and guards. They are still a young team with no seniors but they will blow out a lot of teams.
They are a strong team imo what makes them so tough is their ball movement. We played them twice over the summer and loved competing against them

LKN’s game against NCGBB should be good and then add ACR/W Rowan/Cherokee Invitational- that should tell us a lot. There’s a lot of good 4A teams in the west.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
LKN’s game against NCGBB should be good and then add ACR/W Rowan/Cherokee Invitational- that should tell us a lot. There’s a lot of good 4A teams in the west.
I already made plans to watch that NCGBB vs LKN this Saturday. Both teams have so much talent to see how they compete so early in the year is great for both teams. My hope is these venues and the attention they bring will help end the trend of under recruitment of these kids

N Wilkes beat RJ Reynolds by 20 to win the Mary Garber. Tabor def Reagan for 3rd place, E Surry def E Wilkes in the 5th place game and W Forsyth def Parkland in the 7th place game.
Forsyth Country Day beat E Forsyth in the championship of the other bracket.
N Wilkes won despite not having their best player.
The teams in Forsyth County (minus Bishop) are very weak. The CPC will probably be a toss up between a few teams.

Just watched Hickory Ridge route a athletic United Faith Christian by 20 at Phenom Lakesgiving . If not for missing on a lot of 3s could have been a 30+ blowout. They play disciplined the guards handled the press with ease Hickory Ridge has the ability to make some noise in the 4A Greater Metro.

Catholic is leading Robinson 31-21 at half.

In HP, Hough def Wesleyan in a close one. Ashe beat Asheboro pretty bad.

Catholic beat Robinson by 19.
Gough- 23 pts and Thomas-14 for CC.
E Hobbs 24 and C Hobbs 9 for Robinson.

Independence beat Mallard Creek 76-70. Most likely two of the top 4A teams in the state.

Last edited:
A shoutout to 3-0 Lake Norman girls with a win over NCGBB Academy 70-61. NCGBB had recently beat Chambers 75-28 and also won over South Wake 80-29. This shows how strong Lake Norman girls are.

Big games yesterday with LKN/NCGBB, Cannon beat Watauga by 8, Ardrey Kell beat Providence Day by 15, N Guilford over Salisbury.
This may be the toughest I’ve ever seen the Charlotte area.
North meck is at 2-0 as well. A ton of talent all over the western part of the state that I have seen.

Asheboro WBB is not very good this year they have a talented young lady who was apart of their state championship team who is a senior outside of that they will struggle this year
The last time Asheboro won a girl's state championship was 1960 and that was a WNCHSAA title. They, Asheboro, played in the championship game in 2021, losing to Carson.

I said at the beginning E Burke would have a good chance to win the 2A west. They haven’t disappointed.
Forbush is looking pretty good and HP Andrews should be decent.
N Stanly has a good post and is undefeated but they haven’t really played anyone. E Rutherford looks decent
Salisbury’s record isn’t great and they’re not as strong as the past, but should make some noise.

High Point Central's girls have scored thirty one ( 31 ) total points in six ( 6 ) games for an average of a little over five ( 5 ) points per game. They've been outscored 391-31 so far this season. HIgh Point Central's girls were a powerhouse for years. Good luck to the Bison !!

I used to enjoy the Ledford/HPC match up late 90s-early 2000s. Those were some of the best and deepest female teams I’ve seen play and both were 2A.
Fun watching Carter and Ralls coach such talented teams.

The West Forsyth girls nipped High Point Central last night 84-0...Eighty four to zipski.
P.S. In nine games this year, High Point Central's girls have scored 39 points, averaging 4.3 points per game. I've never heard of such.
I know the NCHSAA stopped keeping track of the record for "largest margin of victory" many years ago (and I understand why), but that's got to be one of the biggest shutouts in state history.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
I know the NCHSAA stopped keeping track of the record for "largest margin of victory" many years ago (and I understand why), but that's got to be one of the biggest shutouts in state history.
What is amazing that is not the worst loss High Point schedule has had this season. They lost to Oak Grove 96-5!!! To those kids keep at it when you turn it around it will be sweet.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT