#7 Draughn 63 vs. #26 Mountain Island Charter 73
#10 Christ the King 66 vs. #23 Mitchell 42
#15 North Stokes 73 vs. #18 Cornerstone Charter 50
#2 Winston-Salem Prep 89 vs. #31 Eastern Randolph 54
============================================

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
The third section is a gauntlet.

Top section is a pretty good draw for Hayesville, except 16/17 are coming in hot. Draughn seems to have MH’s number, but MH hasn’t lost to anyone else since first week of January. If Hayesville beats Starmount and MH wins the 16/17 game, don’t expect the same MH team Hayesville beat by 40 at Christmas. If it’s Corvian, they haven’t lost this month and closed the regular season beating a 4A playoff team (Mallard Creek) then cruised through their tourney beating the regular season champ by 30 in the final. Will have probably the quickest guards Hayesville has seen all year, but not much size down low.

Last edited:
Have seen Bessemer play. I think depth could an issue for them but they have some guys that can flat out go. Pettus can fill it up.
I’ve been very surprised by them not getting mentioned much as a contender, especially after they beat Shelby. Looks like they have a 6-7 kid averaging 15 pts/13 boards go along with Pettus averaging 25+.

I’ve been very surprised by them not getting mentioned much as a contender, especially after they beat Shelby. Looks like they have a 6-7 kid averaging 15 pts/13 boards go along with Pettus averaging 25+.

He is a good one. I think tired legs got them in the championship game vs Shelby. 3rd game in 3 days and then they had a starter get banged up. Will be a tough out.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Sounds like Bessemer could have an interesting potential third-round matchup with Uwharrie. Troutman hasn't faced many guys his own size.

Sounds like Bessemer could have an interesting potential third-round matchup with Uwharrie. Troutman hasn't faced many guys his own size.
Troutman v. McTaggart from Hayesville would be a matchup I’d pay to see if it happens. they’re on other sides of the bracket so it would be a great regional final if it happened. I think McTaggart probably could have been about the same level prospect as Troutman but made a logical choice to pursue football instead. His Junior highlights from the year he played in Georgia are fun to watch.

Last edited:
Troutman v. McTaggart from Hayesville would be a matchup I’d pay to see if it happens, although they’re on other sides of the bracket. I think McTaggart probably could have been about the same level prospect as Troutman but made a logical choice to chase football instead. His Junior highlights from the year he played in Georgia are fun to watch.
Dang. McTaggart looks more versatile and powerful than Troutman. I bet he would make one heck of a tight end at the next level. I bet he could do both at the right school.

Thomasville beat Alleghany 67-56
Carolina International beat Avery 85-60
MIC 73, Draughn 63
Uwharrie Charter 63, Albemarle 50

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
I pull for any school playing any charter unless it's two charters.
Langtree charter brought 13 out of 14 to wrestle robbinsville. A first year program having that many is crazy. It took robbinsville decades to build a program and we barely fill the weight classes.

I pull for any school playing any charter unless it's two charters.
Langtree charter brought 13 out of 14 to wrestle robbinsville. A first year program having that many is crazy. It took robbinsville decades to build a program and we barely fill the weight classes.
I know man...I'm so against having a CHOICE of my school to attend. Those darn Charters are ruining everything as they recruit and try and destroy my way of life. SMH. Most of the kids that attend Langtree would have to attend a West part of Charlotte school full of problems. I promise NO one from Langtree is their for sports, PERIOD. And again, these rules of recruiting, etc. were inforeced LOOOOOONG before charters were ever in existance. Wonder why?

Their was no lottery rule before charters
That's the problem.
I guess you don't find it odd that a charter can win a title in first two years or other charters can fill a wrestling team the first year while bigger wrestling schools can't fill the spots.

You hide behind the school choice thing. News flash I'm for school choice but not for all star teams playing by different rules.
You be mad when this all gets straightened out and it will soon.

Let's all play by the he same rules or play with others that play by your rules. Problem solved.

Reactions: BlackCat93
I bet your against charters being together.
They would loss your advantage

He will play that CHOICE card again in a week. It's his default reply.

I bet your against charters being together.
They would loss your advantage
Not at all. I actually think Charters, if they are good enough, really shouldn't play any 1A sports, especially basketball. It would be better competition to play charter vs. charter in basketball becasue most/all mountain teams can't compete with good charter schools. I just think its funny you have such a problem with it to the point you blast ALL charters like they are cheating some how. Again, ALL charters are considered public, like it or not. Unfortunatley, the charters that do it the right way, are forced to play 1A. That said, the likes of charters like Langtree and most charters should play 1A because they aren't drawing kids for sports, but a chance to get away from traditional schools in the Charlotte area that are full of problems. I don't care about wrestling as this is a basketball forum, so I can't speak about that. Football will never fall to Charters because it takes too many kids to fill a team and again, many kids aren't attending charters for sports like you think. Thomas Jefferson, Mountain Island competes in football but once playoffs start they can't.
Its a stupid debate that comes up everytime one of your mountain schools gets beaten by a charter in any sport. But I will say places like Mountain Island, Uwharrie, etc. give ALL charters a bad reputation because of how they do things. That is NOT how REAL Charter schools conduct business at all. If so, they should be shut down and you have a legitamate argument. Sorry for long response but just get tired of the argument. My stance: I'm from a small town 2A traditional school and love going to all games and support my community. However, I sent my kids to a charter school because the school I attended, support, and continue to support wasn't getting things done academically. The charter I sent my kids to was very rigorous and happened to be good in ALL sports, so they had the best of both worlds. It opened doors for both my kids academically first and for one, athletically. Again, neither of those would have happened at our traditional school in which we live. I see the good and bad of both and supoort each for what they bring in a positive manner. I don't hate the one over the other for "cheating" because I honestly did not see any of that because ALL charters are protected by a lottery system that makes it difficult to get in. I saw many, many student athletes apply and never get into the charter my kids attended. So my take on that is from a point of view of experience. Your take is all hateful opinions which is where my problem is. Best of luck to all student athletes in all areas of sports. Ultimately, that is who I pull for: THE KIDS!

So you think all kids have to go through the lottery?
If a new school has 50 openings and only 40 kids apply do those kids go through the lottery?
😁

BTW it takes about as many kids for wrestling as football.

"Protected by the lottery"
Lol

I'm throwing the biggest party when Charters are kicked out. I can't wait.
You are invited, after all you are for it also. 😉

So you think all kids have to go through the lottery?
If a new school has 50 openings and only 40 kids apply do those kids go through the lottery?
😁

BTW it takes about as many kids for wrestling as football.

"Protected by the lottery"
Lol
I don't think, I KNOW all kids have to go through the lottery. Its a state law. If they have 40 kids and 50 spots chances are good for those 40 kids. The thing about charters and the lottery is they don't have to accept all kids. So, again, yes, charters are protected by the lottery system that ALL of them use which is a state law.

I'm throwing the biggest party when Charters are kicked out. I can't wait.
You are invited, after all you are for it also. 😉
I'm sure most charters with good sports will celebrate with you as well. A lot of Charters, that are worth a hoot in their sports programs, have already moved up a classification. And just curious...What are they are going to be kicked out of? You know they are public schools under the NCHSAA, right? Kicking them out of anything would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. And to think a grown man wants to "kick" out a bunch of kids that are getting a chance for a rigorous academic/athletic opportunity. Shame on you buddy!

• Wow
Reactions: BK13T-$
He knows what I mean. It the tactic of the L_ft.

We know they will sue if their advantage is taking away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT