ADVERTISEMENT

Yadkin Valley Conference Predictions Week 4

Btw, does anybody know if swain won it all in 91 and who they played in championship
Swain won it 1990 vs Roanoke ( the year they beat East in Western Finals 35-28) * Heath Shuler team. Murphy beat East in 91 Western finals ( 54-14)

EM 91 said - "Never remember standing at locker room talking trash but I wouldn't doubt it, lol. We were very confident and didn't expect to lose. Not until Heath Schuler beat us 35-28 in the semis. Couldn't quite get over the swain co. hump. Glad to see that some of you guys remember those years at EM, there were some special teams. Glad I was able to be a part of it."

I remember Murphy coming to EM when Carl Pickens (All-American Volunteer- All-Pro Cincinnati) was a senior. Eagles had a good team, but Pickens was a beast. Don't think he hit the ground all night.

First time picking games

Eagles are much improved, but haven't played the level of competition the Bulldogs have. With the return of two RB, the Bulldogs still own the Eagles 28 - 7.

Warriors roll 56 - 0 over the Bears

North Moore too much for the Rebel Bulls 35-12

North Stanly 34 West Stanly 14, Comets win the County title this year.

Battle to stay out of the cellar with the Bears, Union Academy beat the Wildcats in a thriller, 29 - 28.

This is a big game for my bulldogs. We have come upon hard times for a variety of reasons. The confidence of the players and coaches are pretty low right now I would think. A win is much needed. The offense has not jelled so a big night on offense is much needed. I'm sure EM thinks they have a good shot at the dogs this year and they probably do. A EM win would not surprise me, however I think my dogs get their first win of the season in a hard fought close game.

Reactions: Dogs9
Saw the middle school team this afternoon. Plenty of talent & potential but receiving very suspect coaching. Not sure about the Double Wing for this group but a high school coach who truly knows the spread would fair well at AHS in the near future if some real discipline was instilled in these kids. As long as eligibility is an issue, they will continue to be competitive in the YVC but that's about it.

I heard the middle school coach wasn't that great... We lost a good coach a few years ago. He left because he disciplined one of his players and the parents had an issue with it. That was under the same Administration that let the kids do "Whatever" they wanted. I'm telling you, the middle school is "Ground Zero" if you want to believe me or not. But we do have a great group of kids coming up in D1 and D2.

The athletes that Albemarle has, a spread type offense may be beneficial. We don't have the type of hog-molly's up front to run the DW at this point. I believe when Christian was QB, we ran a little spread with quick hits to the outside, but then again we don't have the speed of the past either. If they are planing to change the offense, they better go back to the Pro-I offense that Albemarle has ran for years. They should only run the DW on short yardage. That's what I would do; implement what I want slowly, and not push the gas full throttle.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Buddy I agree and if the Bulldogs get the win it will be close.

This is a big game for my bulldogs. We have come upon hard times for a variety of reasons. The confidence of the players and coaches are pretty low right now I would think. A win is much needed. The offense has not jelled so a big night on offense is much needed. I'm sure EM thinks they have a good shot at the dogs this year and they probably do. A EM win would not surprise me, however I think my dogs get their first win of the season in a hard fought close game.

Don't get your hopes up, Albemarle will be taking another L tomorrow.

Agree that those Maiden wins were special. Not long before those games were played, Maiden football was light years ahead of AHS in terms of talent and reputation. In 1992 Maiden went 14-1 behind star back Antoine Ikard and lost in the 2A title game. Albemarle went 1-9 that year. The next season, the Observer predicted AHS would go 0-10 (Maiden went 11-3), and that it would take many years to make AHS a contender in the new YVC (which at that time had Salisbury, West Rowan, and North Rowan). (BTW, this was back in the pre-social media days when the Observer actually covered HS football, and not just Butler and Mallard Creek.) Within two seasons, AHS was undefeated YVC champ, then several years later crushed Maiden en route to its first title in 2001.

One of many examples over the years of how quickly football fortunes can change at the HS level.

Edited to add: Could be wrong, but I believe Ikard's record as all-time leading rusher in NC was broken by McLendon.

Last edited:
Reactions: sway1532
EM 91 said - "Never remember standing at locker room talking trash but I wouldn't doubt it, lol. We were very confident and didn't expect to lose. Not until Heath Schuler beat us 35-28 in the semis. Couldn't quite get over the swain co. hump. Glad to see that some of you guys remember those years at EM, there were some special teams. Glad I was able to be a part of it."

I remember Murphy coming to EM when Carl Pickens (All-American Volunteer- All-Pro Cincinnati) was a senior. Eagles had a good team, but Pickens was a beast. Don't think he hit the ground all night.

First time picking games

Eagles are much improved, but haven't played the level of competition the Bulldogs have. With the return of two RB, the Bulldogs still own the Eagles 28 - 7.

Warriors roll 56 - 0 over the Bears

North Moore too much for the Rebel Bulls 35-12

North Stanly 34 West Stanly 14, Comets win the County title this year.

Battle to stay out of the cellar with the Bears, Union Academy beat the Wildcats in a thriller, 29 - 28.
Pickens was never tackled, pushed out of bounds a couple times.

Pickens and Shuler...once in a lifetime players at small schools. They were fun to watch in High School and later on TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT