ADVERTISEMENT

WNC margin of victory

Highschoolgridiron

Sep 10, 2018
Last night's WNC scores showed that only West Henderson-Tuscola and Smoky Mountain-Brevard games were decided by less than 20 points.

So far this year, 70% of the WNC conference games have been decided by 20 points or more and 52% had a victory margin of 30 points or more. It seems to me that in years past, there were more close games. I plan to check last season and possibly more years to determine if these figures are normal.

Looking at 2018 conference games thus far and the margin of victory:
WMAC-28 games-average margin of victory 29.3 points
4 decided by 1-9 points
1 decided by 10-19 points
6 decided by 20-29 points
8 decided by 30-39 points
8 decided by 40-49 points
1 decided by 50+ points

MTN 6-9 games-average margin of victory 20.9 points
2 decided by 1-9 points
3 decided by 10-19 points
2 decided by 20-29 points
1 decided by 30-39 points
1 decided by 40-49 points

WHC-9 games-average margin of victory 33.2 points
3 decided by 1-9 points
1 decided by 30-39 points
3 decided by 40-49 points
2 decided by 50+ points

SMC-15 games-average margin of victory 26.7 points
1 decided by 1-9 points
4 decided by 10-19 points
3 decided by 20-29 points
4 decided by 30-39 points
3 decided by 40-49 points.

Where have the close games gone or has it always been like this?

There are a lot of bad teams in wnc as much as I hate to say it

Agreed especially this year the whole area is really down. While I don’t think anyone in the area is crazy strong. There are some really really bad teams and some very top heavy conferences.

Reactions: PBBear51
Pisgah is pretty good for 2a Reynolds and Erwin are pretty good in 3a. I don’t think anybody thinks anybody in 2a or 3a around here is winning more than 2 playoff games

Pisgah is pretty good for 2a Reynolds and Erwin are pretty good in 3a. I don’t think anybody thinks anybody in 2a or 3a around here is winning more than 2 playoff games

All about matchups once you get to about the third round really, but I’d agree it’s gonna be hard for anyone around here to get past that.

I have all ready penciled in Pisgah for the state championship.They barely beat Tuscola only put 35 on RS Central they did blew out Hendersonville which has lost 4 games now .Tickets should be on sale soon

I have all ready penciled in Pisgah for the state championship.They barely beat Tuscola only put 35 on RS Central they did blew out Hendersonville which has lost 4 games now .Tickets should be on sale soon

And here we go again:rolleyes: Smdh

It’s either they blew out or they did blow out. At least they gave us English class on the east end of the county.

NOTE: A true Pisgah fan would never make a statement like this. This is simply someone trying to stir up dirt/crap against us hoping someone will come along and read this and start blowing fire out their noses at us. It's happened all year....

Reactions: WNCfballFan
All about matchups once you get to about the third round really, but I’d agree it’s gonna be hard for anyone around here to get past that.
True that, the third round is the high water mark of the best. A team does not make it past that round with any chinks in their armor. Good teams can make it to the third, but only the elite go on from there.

Reactions: MilltownUSA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT