ADVERTISEMENT

Wittenberg out as Hickory High Coach

CHEERDUCK

Jun 5, 2001
Hickory, NC
Last edited:
Reactions: patsfball
He made improvements to a program that was in shambles. I figured they'd give him more time.

Cheerduck, I wish Hickory the best. These jobs are only safe if you're winning. Best of luck to the Tornados!

Last good Hickory team I can think of is the 1 Austin Johnson was on.

That was a 13-1 2007 team and since then we've only had one team(2012) with a winning record at 8-5 under Tom Harper. In 2011, we were 8-4-1 on the field but had to forfeit our wins due to the use of an ineligible player.

OK it took Willert at East Forsyth 5 years to have a winning record, Took the coach at Parkland 4 years to get a winning record, took Coach Gilcrest at North Forsyth 6 years took coach carter 4 years at South Caldwell took Tommy Norwood(Hall of fame coach) 4 years to get his first winning season. Hickory was once a great program that has fallen on hard times it is going to take someone 4-6 years to fix what is wrong with that program

If a coach isn't winning after 5 years he needs to find something else to do! I would credit the kids more than the coach at that point.

If a coach isn't winning after 5 years he needs to find something else to do! I would credit the kids more than the coach at that point.
A HC cannot do it ALONE. Administration must create a culture. Need the kids in the weightroom year round. Need to get assistant coaches in the building etc. A lot more is needed than a HC with x and o.

Who's responsible for getting the kids in the weight room? Who gets the asst coaches there? The Head Coach is over these things, that's why he is called the Head. I agree it takes more than good play calling, an OC can do this, but Head Coach has oversight of every facet of the game.

A head coach may be in charge of all facets of the game, but he needs help from administration in providing opportunities for kids to be in weight training year round and in hiring assistants. Kids who play other sports and kids who ride buses need in school weight training--under someone who knows what he's doing--and it's the administration who makes that happen, not the head coach. You've got to have teaching positions filled with good assistants if you want top notch people in the building--which is always a vital need. That, too, falls on administration. I'm not speaking to the Hickory situation in particular, since I know little about it, but to the comment that those things are on the head coach.

A head coach may be in charge of all facets of the game, but he needs help from administration in providing opportunities for kids to be in weight training year round and in hiring assistants. Kids who play other sports and kids who ride buses need in school weight training--under someone who knows what he's doing--and it's the administration who makes that happen, not the head coach. You've got to have teaching positions filled with good assistants if you want top notch people in the building--which is always a vital need. That, too, falls on administration. I'm not speaking to the Hickory situation in particular, since I know little about it, but to the comment that those things are on the head coach.
And then if you do all this, and the chips fall just right, you get the best assistants, (even at the expense of filling teaching slots with lesser quality teachers but better coaches) it STILL boils down to one thing. Every high school has peaks and valleys in available talent. Some peaks and valleys are longer than others. It is a lot to ask of even the best coaches in the nation with these limitations to win or else, regardless of the athleticism (or lack of) or alter the genetics of the student body they inherit when taking the job.

Reactions: newpride
Who's responsible for getting the kids in the weight room? Who gets the asst coaches there? The Head Coach is over these things, that's why he is called the Head. I agree it takes more than good play calling, an OC can do this, but Head Coach has oversight of every facet of the game.
I am talking about getting them in the weightroom during the school day. It is many schools that do not see that as a priority. Then you have many schools that when they have a teacher opening, they do not come to the coach first to see what he needs. This goes on way too much. You might be closer to the situation that I am, but these are facts at many schools.

I am talking about getting them in the weightroom during the school day. It is many schools that do not see that as a priority. Then you have many schools that when they have a teacher opening, they do not come to the coach first to see what he needs. This goes on way too much. You might be closer to the situation that I am, but these are facts at many schools.
I appreciate what you're saying. I get that, and agree with this.

This situation is crap. Tom Harper & Mike Helms are laughing @ HHS & the HCS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT