Aug 30, 2018
Murphy 108
Swain. 89
Robbinsville 85
Cherokee. 46
Rosman. 39
Andrews 35
Hayesville. 30
*** Murphy and Robbinsville still alive in the 2018 season. Found this pretty interesting. As always please correct any mistakes.

Nothing but respect for the Mitchell program. Building a great tradition and what’s more important first class people in that area.
thanks. Theoretically, Mitchell could go over the .500 all time mark next season. Even with a loss this week, they could go 13-1 next year and reach exactly .500. I know it's not a big deal to some programs, but for us in one decade it would be huge.

Reactions: smcdogfan
Very impressive!! Bears have won 127 from 2008-2018. I think Reidsville has more and probably Shelby, but Murphy is right up there near the top if not at the top. Would be curious to know.

By the way, 11 years. 2008-2018 with 2008 inclusive.

Swains 1AA title in 2012 still remains the only state championship for wnc in 1AA.that's impressive

I started a post with some interesting information and here we are again !!!!
Buddy signing off for the year !!! Good luck and stay healthy. Go Knights

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
There have only been 3 years that WNC placed a team in the 1aa ship, vs 8 years in 1a (since sub classes) and all those have been this decade.
Yeah, but most of those years Mt Airy was just above the cut-off of 1A and barely in 1AA. We are not a big 1AA school like some others. In the past we have been real close in size to Murphy.

I understand our enrollment may be going up though. Bigger enrollment is not bad at all. I had rather be a big 1AA school than a small 1AA school. Make sense?

Mountie that's correct.and murphy was 1AA from 2000-2010,then again last year and never made it out of third round.so after last year they surveyed off their early college building to gentry so it would not be part of their campus.lmao

Reactions: Fargo2017
Mountie that's correct.and murphy was 1AA from 2000-2010,then again last year and never made it out of third round.so after last year they surveyed off their early college building to gentry so it would not be part of their campus.lmao
You are incorrect. They were in the Western Regional Finals last year, which is Round #4. This year they will probably be playing my Knights in a 1A Regional Final (fingers crossed). Where is your team?

Reactions: mbdfan
Mountie that's correct.and murphy was 1AA from 2000-2010,then again last year and never made it out of third round
First off Murphy was 1AA from '01 to '09, not '00 to '10, there wasn't even a such thing as 1A and 1AA in '00. Second Murphy did make it past the third round in 1AA, so get your facts right.

Yep Swain won a 1AA title in 2011, congrats. Those transfers from Cherokee sure helped though.
Actually all of the Cherokee kids played JV 's, even youth league at Swain so I'm not sure what "transfers" you are referring to. One of Swains top receivers actually transferred TO Cherokee that year (Tisho).

Very impressive!! Bears have won 127 from 2008-2018. I think Reidsville has more and probably Shelby, but Murphy is right up there near the top if not at the top. Would be curious to know.

By the way, 11 years. 2008-2018 with 2008 inclusive.

There are some impressive football programs in 1A. Congrats to all the communities that support these programs!! Tarboro 2008-2018 (144-18)

Reactions: Swain97
Knighty knight there a lot of knight mascots but I sure hope you ain't from r'ville.you got one 1A state title since the big boys came to the smc.unless you want to count 1992 but I wouldnt being that murphy beat you 41-0 and couldn't play in playoffs.lmao

even youth league at Swain so I'm not sure what "transfers" you are referring to. One of Swains top receivers actually transferred TO Cherokee that year (Tisho).
Not true, Tisho played youth league ball at I believe Smoky Mtn and one or both of Wildcatt/Panther was at Cherokee back then too.

Last edited:
Not true, Tisho played youth league ball at I believe Smoky Mtn and one of Wildcatt/Panther was at Cherokee back then too an another one if your importsnt native starters was at Cherokee back then too, cant remember which one because that was a long time ago but know one of them was.
Tisho was a non-contributing factor for the 2011 team because he transferred to Cherokee after the 2010 football season. From middle school through high school all the natives played for Swain. I would not classify that as transfers.

Tisho was a non-contributing factor for the 2011 team because he transferred to Cherokee after the 2010 football season. From middle school through high school all the natives played for Swain. I would not classify that as transfers.
One or both of Wildcatt/Panther was at Cherokee schools during youth league years also, I think it was Wildcatt. So that was a big piece on your 2011 team, maybe Swain still wins a title in 2011 without their two best lineman, I don't know.

Maybe it is fair to say that the native transfers had a bigger impact on your 2012 team than your 2011 team, since Tisho and Raymius Smith were also huge parts of the 2012 Swain County squad.

Last edited:
One of Wildcatt/Panther was at Cherokee schools during youth league years also, I think it was Wildcatt. So there was a piece of your 2011 team.

Maybe it's fair to say that the native transfers had a bigger impact on your 2012 team than your 2011 team, since Tisho and Raymius Smith were huge parts of the 2012 Swain County squad.
Again do you count Tisho as a transfer since he spent 5 years at Swain and 1 year at Cherokee playing JV and Varsity football.

Again do you count Tisho as a transfer since he spent 5 years at Swain and 1 year at Cherokee playing JV and Varsity football.
So are we just going to overlook the fact that Tisho played youth ball for Jackson Co/Smoky Mountain? He was not Swain kid, so yes he was a transfer. And I see that you chose to just ignore the Wildcatt/Panther part of the conversation.

Look, just own it. Murphy has had transfers that played key roles on title winning teams, Colton Posey on the 2016 football team, the Barolet brothers on the 2018 baseball team. Hell Murphy probably wouldn't have won a state title this past spring in baseball without the Barolet brothers.

So please quit pretending like Swain didn't have transfers that were major contributors to the success of the '11 and '12 teams, like I said just own it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cold Biscuit
So are we just going to overlook the fact that Tisho played youth ball for Jackson Co/Smoky Mountain? He was a Jackson County kid first, not a Swain kid, so yes he was a transfer. Just own it, Murphy has had transfers that played big parts on title winning teams, Colton Posey on the 2016 football team, the Barolet brothers on the 2018 baseball team. Hell Murphy probably wouldn't have won a state title last year in baseball without the Barolet brothers. But quit pretending like it didn't happen or it didn't play a role in the success of those teams.
You really are clueless at times as to what you are talking about, I do applaud your confidence though. Tisho spent the majority of his time in Maroon and White, played youth ball at Cherokee but was a Maroon Devil by the time it was all said and done. That to me does not classify him as a "transfer."

Tisho spent the majority of his time in Maroon and White, played youth ball at Cherokee but was a Maroon Devil by the time it was all said and done. That to me does not classify him as a "transfer."
Agree to disagree about the definition of a transfer. Getting a kid in from a different part of the state or country is one thing, never moving and still changing schools is another. I guess we'll also agree to disagree on the definition of a transfer as it pertains to Wildcatt too.

I never would've opened my mouth (or more accurately typed with my fingers) in the first place if a Swain poster hadn't popped off, trying to discredit Murphy by starting up with the same BS accusations of Murphy dropping down to 1A because of some conspiracy with the early college.

Last edited:
Knighty knight there a lot of knight mascots but I sure hope you ain't from r'ville.you got one 1A state title since the big boys came to the smc.unless you want to count 1992 but I wouldnt being that murphy beat you 41-0 and couldn't play in playoffs.lmao
That whooping they put on your boys this year wasn't too much to talk about either ... 49-7. Talk about "big boys" all you want. You just might get to see the flag planted in the middle of your 1/3 capacity stadium a few more times in the next five or six years. You guys are circling the drain. A shell of your former selves. Soft.

Agree to disagree about the definition of a transfer. Getting a kid in from a different part of the state or country is one thing, never moving and still changing schools is another. I guess we'll also agree to disagree on the definition of a transfer as it pertains to Wildcatt too.

I never would've opened my mouth (or more accurately typed with my fingers) in the first place if a Swain poster hadn't popped off, trying to discredit Murphy by starting up with the same BS accusations of Murphy dropping down to 1A because of some conspiracy with the early college.
Would you classify Seth Curtis as a transfer since he came from Hiwasse Dam.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Actually on that one no , because Hiawasse Dam doesn't offer football. Also he came from Ranger not HD .
So he "transferred" to Murphy from ranger, my mistake on the confusion, to play football. Sounds a lot like what you say of the native kids who attended Swain schools and participated in Swain football much longer than he participated in Murphy football. Interesting......

So he "transferred" to Murphy from ranger, my mistake on the confusion, to play football. Sounds a lot like what you say of the native kids who attended Swain schools and participated in Swain football much longer than he participated in Murphy football. Interesting......
I'm not really not seeing it this way. I went to Tipton Hill, who didn't offer football, and had to play for Bowman. Cherokee does offer football, as does Smoky Mountain, and Swain. Sounds like it was more of a case of wanting to play for a better team than a necessity.

Actually very different , if he went to HD he wouldn't have been able to play football.

The native kids made a choice to go to a winning team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT