ADVERTISEMENT

Wilkes Central Forfeits Game

It's been 5 minutes since I've first seen this and I still don't get it. I've been around football for 11 years and I've never seen a team do that. You'd think they would have quality control of some kind to look over the basic stuff. Imagine if that kid had gotten hurt badly and someone found out? At least they self reported it but still they shoulda took care of it then..

Won't be surprised if this knocks them out of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Hate it for the kids, but I’m actually encouraged by the fact that WC, Fike and Hunt and East Meck adults are standing up for what’s right. Whether it’s self reporting for failure to follow the rules, or setting a standard for conduct and sticking with it, those are some of the life lessons that we should be teaching through sports.

I have a lot of memories from high school football. But the one that stuck with me more than any other was Coach Cushwa removing our star player from the team during the playoffs for his conduct off the field. It may have cost us a title against Shelby, but everybody on the team knew it was the right thing to do. Hopefully the kids on these teams will understand that character and integrity are more important than an athletic contest.

ocdavis, what did the star player do to get the boot? More info is appreciated.

It's been 5 minutes since I've first seen this and I still don't get it. I've been around football for 11 years and I've never seen a team do that. You'd think they would have quality control of some kind to look over the basic stuff. Imagine if that kid had gotten hurt badly and someone found out? At least they self reported it but still they shoulda took care of it then..

Won't be surprised if this knocks them out of the playoffs.

I have seen it several times in multiple sports. That is why most schools have gone to wrist bands to ensure all the boxes are checked before sending them to the coaches. No wrist band no practice.
Probably expired and was missed, usually that is what happens.

Maybe I’m alone on this but a expired physical....... come on

I think the penalty should be against the coach and not the team. Just my take. He is suspended from a game or games for this. Do not like punishing the whole team due to a paperwork snafu that did not really benefit them on the field of play such as an ineligible player. Others may have more opinions or info that would make me change my mind.

There have been instances where physicals found a student athlete to have health issues that precluded them from playing a sport until they had further medical tests. Friend in Wilmington had issue with his son's physical. Concern it was a heart issue like Reggie Lewis or Hank Gathers died from on a basketball court. More testing revealed a smaller problem. If he plays in a game and dies from that with no physical on hand there is a major issue. We live in a world that is very reactive to the possibilities of civil litigation.

Most schools have a couple of checks points on this. Normally football is not the sport it happens in. Have seen it more in winter and spring sports.

Reactions: Champ_24
ocdavis, what did the star player do to get the boot? More info is appreciated.
I guess the statute of limitations has passed....and unfortunately, so has he. Great, fun guy to be around. But let's just say that he apparently felt it was okay to roll the house of the assistant principal. Which may have been forgiven....except that when they located him, he was in the gym nursing his hamstring injury in the whirlpool with a cold adult beverage in his hand. And had a coach who had already dismissed one of my classmates for just TALKING about drinking. Coach Cushwa didn't play.

You can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: btango
I hate it when the kids get punished for an oversight by an adult... but that’s one of the Many responsibilities of the coach and athletic director. In my experience, and I know all schools do things a little differently, our AD watched those forms like a hawk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT