ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the favored 1A team in 2023?

Who you got?

• Mount Airy

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Tarboro

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Draughn

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Robbinsville

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Eastern Randolph

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
This should be unanimous Cornerstone Charter.. No seriously it should be a rematch between MA and Tarboro. But you never know what can happen. Transfer portal is open and changes are no doubt taking place.

Go Mountaineers
I'm thinking it'll be a rematch as Well. However anything can happen. I'd drop robbinsville from this poll and replace them with Eastern Randolph personally.

Sometimes it is harder to win the second than it was to win the first. I trust the Mt Airy Coaching staff keep perspective in front of the players but we are dealing with 14-15-16-17 year old young men. And then their is the portal.
And, also, there is Tarboro. No one believes they will be laying down in the off season. They did not get to being one of the best high school progams (if not the best) in the state by laying down.

I believe the scary thing is that Mt. Airy's defense could significantly better in the coming year. They get the 3 mentioned above back, add the 15 to 29 jv players that were lights out good, and you increase the defensive depth a bunch.

I am not sure where this saying comes from but "if the other team can not score, it is real hard for them to win".

MA will be better and senior heavy! Will any other team in 1A be better than last year beside Tarboro and MA. I think
Tarboro will be scary good. If Draughn lose those big guys up front they could struggle come playoff time!

MA will be better and senior heavy! Will any other team in 1A be better than last year beside Tarboro and MA. I think
Tarboro will be scary good. If Draughn lose those big guys up front they could struggle come playoff

Tarboro's JV team last year was one of the best I've ever seen. This year's is expected to be just as good. Tarboro will have their two star running backs returning in #11 and #24. I'm thinking rematch this year and next year with Mount airy. And depending on how realignment goes, it could be another year or two. Although I'm sure a lot of teams are gonna try their best to make sure that doesn't happen.

Tarboro's JV team last year was one of the best I've ever seen. This year's is expected to be just as good. Tarboro will have their two star running backs returning in #11 and #24. I'm thinking rematch this year and next year with Mount airy. And depending on how realignment goes, it could be another year or two. Although I'm sure a lot of teams are gonna try their best to make sure that doesn't happen.
Oh y’all will be 2A at next realignment…
Like God intended!!! 😂😂

If tarboro goes to 2a then the west will win the crown until they move back down
Your probably right. Of the current teams in the 2a east the ones most likely to come down and present a challenge to a team in the west in 1a would probably be Holmes and Princeton. I feel like Holmes would be a tough matchup for a western team since the run the triple option and they throw a little bit more now.

I was hearing the cards were scheduling the vikes as one of there non conference games. That came from a real good source

Your probably right. Of the current teams in the 2a east the ones most likely to come down and present a challenge to a team in the west in 1a would probably be Holmes and Princeton. I feel like Holmes would be a tough matchup for a western team since the run the triple option and they throw a little bit more now.
Let me get this straight
The East would need to bring a 2a team down to compete with a 1a team from the West
What’s wrong with this picture

One of the reasons might be that if their was one there was 500 "Mt Airy does not play anyone" comments. Despite the fact that Mt Airy played 3 2A and 1 3A schools. Tarboro got the same kind of comments. But the truth is not many larger schools want to play the Mt Airy's, the Tarboro's or the Mitchell County's in the regular season.
I for one would love to see Mt Airy and Lake Norman, or Statesville, or North Iredell (ok maybe not) play. Schools just up or down I-77, not hard to get to and could develop great gates and rivalries. West Stokes should be a constant on the schedule for the same reasons.

One of the reasons might be that if their was one there was 500 "Mt Airy does not play anyone" comments. Despite the fact that Mt Airy played 3 2A and 1 3A schools. Tarboro got the same kind of comments. But the truth is not many larger schools want to play the Mt Airy's, the Tarboro's or the Mitchell County's in the regular season.
I for one would love to see Mt Airy and Lake Norman, or Statesville, or North Iredell (ok maybe not) play. Schools just up or down I-77, not hard to get to and could develop great gates and rivalries. West Stokes should be a constant on the schedule for the same reasons.
Exactly right. A lot of these schools in the upper classifications don't want to take that risk of losing to a 1a school. Mount airy playing a team like the ones you mentioned would be great non conference matchups. Both Mount airy and Tarboro get hate on here lol it is what it is.

I do not know where Tarboro stands in this raking, but Mt Airy is 3rd on the all time high school football win column behind Reidsville and Shelby. With the string of great talent that Mount Airy has been blessed with over many years, and with what we should have for the next 3 to 4 years, I do not think we are at risk of losing our position in that ranking.

A lot of things have to happen correctly to turn talent into Championships. But with the total Coaching staff that Mt Airy has right now, it is possible to get another one or two or three over the next several years. But even if we do not, it will not be the end of the world. Yes, disheartening. But the sun will come up for another day, another season.

Just to be in the legitimate hunt for a Championship is pretty doggone great.

I do not know where Tarboro stands in this raking, but Mt Airy is 3rd on the all time high school football win column behind Reidsville and Shelby. With the string of great talent that Mount Airy has been blessed with over many years, and with what we should have for the next 3 to 4 years, I do not think we are at risk of losing our position in that ranking.

A lot of things have to happen correctly to turn talent into Championships. But with the total Coaching staff that Mt Airy has right now, it is possible to get another one or two or three over the next several years. But even if we do not, it will not be the end of the world. Yes, disheartening. But the sun will come up for another day, another season.

Just to be in the legitimate hunt for a Championship is pretty doggone great.
Last time I checked Tarboro was 9th on that list. They may have climbed a little bit since then

Reactions: sbbbfan
That's cute...I don't remember ever hearing Murphy complain about playing anybody.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT