ADVERTISEMENT

Whitfield Leaving NCHSAA to head National Federation

He will not be the director but the chief operations officer. Step to the head position. Whitfield is a sharp guy.

Maybe they can get someone now who is focused on improving athletics and the student-athlete experience instead of the total focus on fund raising.

Originally posted by WMFootballFanatic:
Maybe they can get someone now who is focused on improving athletics and the student-athlete experience instead of the total focus on fund raising.
I think this is an important time as the new director will probably be in a position for several years and will want to put his print on things early. What do you recommend?

Either reconfigure the class system or reduce rounds in the playoffs for football to begin with. Look at rules that punish kids for wrong-doing by the adults. I'm by no means an expert, but it is clear the focus is rarely on the kids. Also, something is going to have be done with all these charter schools. It's going to be a mess 5 years from now. But, it all does help the bottom line.

Either reconfigure the class system or reduce rounds in the playoffs for football to begin with. Look at rules that punish kids for wrong-doing by the adults.
The NCHSAA put a proposal out to reduce the 1A playoffs to four rounds. This would have cut the field in half, ended the playoffs a week earlier with a championship day all to 1A, cutout some of the travel and teams with terrible records making the playoffs, but still leaving the sub-divided classifications allowing for two champions. The schools (coaches and ADs) overwhelmingly responded not interested. NCHSAA then presented a first round bye for top seeds therefore lowering the qualifiers to 48 from 64 with everything else remaining the same. Same response. Some of the reasons was why should 1A be treated different than the other classes and why should less teams qualify. HELLO, 1A coaches pushed for subdivided playoffs and had them in 2001 before the others followed in 2002. They then were the ones that complained about the early round travel that resulted in the pod system. Two of the worst things to ever happen to NC playoffs and they do not want to be treated different.

I personally like the five rounds but there are too many brackets. Six divisions using a different setup than current in place that would do away with eight sub-classes. Qualifiers go from 256 to 192.

An idea looked at for issues such as Dudley was to suspend coaches but in-house and outside legal counsel informed the NCHSAA that this would probably not hold up if challenged because the coaches/ADs do not work for the NCHSAA and the suspensions would need to come from the responsible school systems. The admin has an issue with being a body that suspends and removes teams but they (and the board of directors) have not come up with a different way although there have been discussions. They are status quo with the other state associations but great entities make changes that other would not so I hope they strive to be great.

Plus expand the spring FB practice regiment to include physical contact. This would be a great time for the new guy to push this since he apparently was against it based on some of his comments.

There are some HS coaches who do not like this but my
opinion is if the NC HS FB teams ever expect to have a full contact
number of days they had to take this first step. FB is the only sport
that is penalized by not being allowed to have a regular FB practice
doing what they do in the fall. Basketball has summer leagues. Baseball
has fall baseball. With enough protesting by the NC HS FB coaches this
will happen. The problem is the people making the rules do not
understand that not allowing contact is akin to practicing basketball or
baseball without a ball. Body to body contact is how FB players develop
the necessary skills to get better. The head of the NCHSAA made a
comment that there are concussions in the fall and why would he want to
allow contact which would cause more concussions in the spring. My
answer is the more you teach a kid how to tackle as well as the proper
way to run the ball the number of concussions will be less. A lot of
sports specific injuries occur in baseball and basketball but you never
hear him saying that out of season practice for these sports has to be
handled in such a way that these types of injuries will be lessened.
Plus the fact is he apparently does not give the coaches enough credit
to know that they will have complete control to limit drills in which
concussions occur. I have always concluded that the majority of players
who get concussions learn very quickly what the signs are for a
concussion. Many don't want to be out there (some want to wear the
uniform on game night and some are there because their dad's make them
be there) so they learn that they can miss several days if they come
down with a concussion. My point is there may be fewer concussions than
actually happen.

This post was edited on 1/27 9:09 PM by No.1RamsFan

Either reconfigure the class system or reduce rounds in the playoffs for football to begin with. Look at rules that punish kids for wrong-doing by the adults. I'm by no means an expert, but it is clear the focus is rarely on the kids. Also, something is going to have be done with all these charter schools. It's going to be a mess 5 years from now. But, it all does help the bottom line.
Whom ever the new person is, they cannot change anything unless the NCHSAA Board of Directors votes in approval of it. And the Board of Directors members are superintendents, principals, coaches, and AD's from all over the state.

Yes, and all those Principals, Coaches, and Superintendents have full time jobs and this board uses a very small amount of time. The Executive Director still sits at the wheel and steers.

This post was edited on 1/28 8:07 AM by WMFootballFanatic

It seems all positions in our association are "lifetime appointments" - unless you find a better gig. I wish we could find a difference maker for the job. Former Northern Durham coach Ken Browning would be a great choice. He's a leader and could be a difference maker for athletics - not just for football.

Originally posted by Narya:
It seems all positions in our association are "lifetime appointments" - unless you find a better gig. I wish we could find a difference maker for the job. Former Northern Durham coach Ken Browning would be a great choice. He's a leader and could be a difference maker for athletics - not just for football.
You have to want a job first.

Yes, and all those Principals, Coaches, and Superintendents have full time jobs and this board uses a very small amount of time. The Executive Director still sits at the wheel and steers.
This post was edited on 1/28 8:07 AM by WMFootballFanatic
I have watched the NCHSAA admin give very heartfelt opinions with great supporting facts on a proposal and the board voted against their wishes. I heavily agreed with the admin. The vote was reducing the season to 11 weeks and 11 games. Vote made in May which really screwed up schedules especially for the small state border schools.

How do you know he does not want it? The fact is it does not matter who wants it. This good old boys club hand picks the person they want based on the fact that he is in line with what they want.

Don't know that one time being shot down is a strong argument but I'll accept what you say about the Board running the show. I know you know more about it than I do obviously. If that is the case, the whole gang needs to refocus.

Don't know that one time being shot down is a strong argument but I'll accept what you say about the Board running the show. I know you know more about it than I do obviously. If that is the case, the whole gang needs to refocus.
Granted the admin give their opinions but surprising to me that they were overruled on something that was actually a huge item due to the timing and the ripple effect it would have. Note that this was really pushed by the winter sports people trying to end football a week earlier. It was changed back to 11 in 12 the next year due to the backlash.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:

How do you know he does not want it? The fact is it does not matter who wants it. This good old boys club hand picks the person they want based on the fact that he is in line with what they want.
He may want it but at 69 years old next month. I figured he was satisfied with not having the issues that job would bring. Also, do not see him embracing a desk.

The age of 69 is not old. After coaching his entire life sometimes retirement gets boring and a new challenge may be a welcome alternative to retirement.

There is another high school football coach out there who is also turning 69 in two weeks.
He has served in the NC General Assembly and helped fund the NCHSAA while serving on
the Appropriations Committee. He is STILL coaching and TEACHING ! He has also been the
President of the North Carolina Coaches Association and coached in both the EAST WEST game
and the Shrine Bowl. But we will have another good team this fall !!!

Coach Diamont certainly has the political wherewithal to head the nchsaa. Would he be interested in leaving Mount Pilot?

I will see Coach D this coming weekend. The football coaches association is not an example I would want to see followed.

The football coaches association is not an example I would want to see followed.

Meaning what?

The football coaches association is not an example I would want to see followed.

Meaning what?
We have discussed it here plenty of times. They do not seem to be able to get on the same page about too many items. Come to the coaches clinic in Greensboro Friday and Saturday. Attend the coaches meeting Friday night. Good time to see what type of changes are potentially in the future and what the thoughts are on them.

From a coaching standpoint my thought is they are the ones doing all the work and putting in all the time 365 days a year so what they decide is what they get. It does not matter what us non coaches want or don't want. If you are not a coach how do you get in? I thought it was a coaches association meaning that only coaches are allowed in.

From a coaching standpoint my thought is they are the ones doing all the work and putting in all the time 365 days a year so what they decide is what they get. It does not matter what us non coaches want or don't want. If you are not a coach how do you get in? I thought it was a coaches association meaning that only coaches are allowed in.
I agree with that! The problem is many of the things they want get shot down due to a lack of unity. My opinion from attending meetings is that they do not work together as well as they should and that they could do much better if they organized like a political group where they would decide on a path and then everyone would support it up their chain.

Remember when we discussed the new spring practice schedule and I told you that there were may be 60 head coaches of the 370 plus in the room to vote on all items up for a vote. Some staffs do not even attend the winter meeting. One of the most prolific coaches in the state told me that he had heard some bits and pieces but has came to the conclusion that they cannot come together and support one idea, that it is completely fragmented.

Ram I am just a guest that gets to go mostly for trying to help out when I can. Nothing special. I just sit back listening and watching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT