ADVERTISEMENT

What We Learned NWC/MVC/WPC

Illuminati704

Apr 5, 2013
Another night of high schools football. Who doesn't love this time of year?

Mount Airy is good. Very good. No let down game from the Bears. They breeze until the final week of the season.

North Wilkes and West Wilkes are not who we thought they were. Completely dominated by conference powers East Wilkes and Wilkes Central. Both teams drop their first game of the season in concerning fashion.

Wilkes Central and East Wilkes are who we thought they were. In fact I think both teams are better than they were last year or the year before. They meetup the last week of the season but neither can look ahead.

East Surry is a good team. Losing (albeit barley) to an extremely athletic 4A team is nothing to fret about. This team is better than their record suggest.

North Surry reaaserted themselves tonight. They did what good teams are supposed to do. I don't think they are consitently 32 points worse than Moint Airy but the better team did win last week.

Weak schedules: Northh Willes, Alleghany, and West Wilkes all started 4-0. However their schedules were not exactly a murders row of competition. They all dropped a game tonight against battle tested teams. Possibly something to think about in the future.

The wheels have fallen off for Walkertown and Carver. Two teams that have the talent to be perineal contenders look anything but.

Reactions: ESOD
looks like that 1st Fri night in Nov will settle NW 1A again; hard to figure on Walkertown; just 2 seasons ago they played for a trip to the 'ship

Do East Surry and MA play the last week of the season? Because that's what I intended with this post. It will definitely be decided whenever that game is.

Nice write up, but I do disagree about East Wilkes. Much to improve on the defensive side of the ball. The D from 2 years ago was nasty and strong up the middle. This team gets better as the game progresses. Right now I give the edge to Wilkes Central and East is the solid 2. Go Cards!

WC defense is ok. EW pass D needs some work. I could see it going either way. Both offenses can be explosive!

If they play as well as they did last night, and cut out a few of the silly mistakes that helped Ragsdale last night, then they have a shot against MA. Still, they've got to defend the pass better than they did last night. Actually, Ragsdale is similar enough to MA offensively that the game was more or less a model for what they need to do to stop the Bears.

Or MA could just play awful and ES play fantastic, like what happened a year ago.

Nice write up, but I do disagree about East Wilkes. Much to improve on the defensive side of the ball. The D from 2 years ago was nasty and strong up the middle. This team gets better as the game progresses. Right now I give the edge to Wilkes Central and East is the solid 2. Go Cards!

East has played much stiffer competition than they did to start the 2015 season. Collectively as a group and units I do think both teams are better.

East has played much stiffer competition than they did to start the 2015 season. Collectively as a group and units I do think both teams are better.

I agree.

In principle East's non conference slate is way better than 2015. It had a 0-11 South Stokes on it and a rare good year from North Stokes in this decade but that was only a .500 team. This year had ES, and Walkertown taking their spots. Walkertown's in a slide but East Surry's still a step up. East ultimatly was too talented for both. Central and Forbush are tradional games but Forbush coulda been dropped I guess.

I'm suprised though that they didn't try to get Carson on the schedule since that's Joe Pinyan's team and Adkins and him are so close. It woulda been a good use of an endowment game since they are a 3A.

MVAC wise I'm not suprised much. East and Central are hands and shoulders ahead of everyone else. North and West as expected ran thru the non conference slate and are atoning for it in different ways (North's effort was more respectable.) Ashe came alive when it mattered, Elkin and Starmount are much better, and so is Alleghany but can they be relevant enough? West had an awful week last week on both teams so they will be a team to watch; they could fall backwards or have a more competive streak in them. Them falling may cause a massive change in the standings because they are my #4 team at the start of the year.

NW wise I'm suprised with South mainly. They are badly snakebit this year; they have games they coulda been closer in but they just haven't clicked. I think they can rebound in conference but they got a bad draw with Prep off the bat (that probably the game for 3rd place,) Prep's about what I expected them to be. Tough non conference slate but they got some wins to build confidince. Bishop's overperforming (didn't think they'd get Atkins in the end,) while North Stokes is fighting to make it thru the year. East is off where they expected them to be but they aren't that bad. MA's too loaded for most teams around here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT