ADVERTISEMENT

What has happened to Carver football.

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
How can program like Carver be this down? That shouldn't be like a Winston Salem School. That football program use to be full of athletes. I use enjoy Carver football. I hope they can get the program back up again someday.

Reactions: Bulldog_012
Carver has been down for a couple of years. This season from what I hear they were hit hard by kids being ineligible because of virtual learning. New coach has his work cut out so hopefully things will get better in the fall for them with in person learning moving forward.

Carver like many other schools has been in a decline for several years and it mostly comes down to school size, opportunity and finding a way to get the kids in the school to play sports again. Covid will go away but the impact it will have on these types of small rural, city or small town schools will last for years. Some schools have literally lost track of 10-20% of the student body. Some kids have never even logged on one time to a class. Kids without internet, parental support, working, baby sitting, getting into trouble and other things Covid remote learning has created a really bad situation.

Then add in the fact the the NCHSAA and State Board of Education did nothing to help these kids with exemptions for Covid this fall of 20-21 and now eligibility is a major issue for many schools. These kids may be lost for the rest of their high school experience if they do not make up the grades or classes they failed in the fall. They will be ineligible again in the fall of 21 because they will not promote. Then they walk away, quit school or just give up. A certain percentage of these kids go to school to play ball, be in the band, have something to eat and a safe place to be during the day.

School systems/districts all have different standards for grades/attendance/etc. for athletic eligibility and then once again the state policies are killing these schools. Some teachers took attendance, some didn't. Some taught, some didn't. Some tracked the kids via google meet, email, text groups, etc. and others did nothing. I could go on and on but the bottom line is the kids were failed by the state and the districts during the fall of 2020. A full exemption should have been given to every kid due to Covid (IMO). Accountability is needed, but not with Covid and the vast amount of discrepancies among all the 115+ systems/districts in the way they police attendance, grades and eligibility.

How can program like Carver be this down? That shouldn't be like a Winston Salem School. That football program use to be full of athletes. I use enjoy Carver football. I hope they can get the program back up again someday.
Atkins and Walkertown being built killed the number for Carver since I graduated from my alma mater in 2003. All of Walkertown used to go to Carver along with many kids from eastern part of Winston Salem. When Atkins was built many of the good teachers I had left for that school. Then of course when Walkertown was built, everyone in the country moved there. Since the football been dormant, East Forsyth took a lot of our top athletes from that side of town too. The Eagles were the Trinity of 4A football back then.

That 03 team was the last REAL Yellow Jacket squad we had. We made that one championship run against Tarboro with Todd Gurley but our 3A caliber teams were built different.

Another thing that has hurt Carver has been the lack of discipline from the coaches. When we were in the WPAC with them they never had a disciplined team. They got away with it the first 3 years because they were like a Forsyth 2A all star team with Crowell talent wise, and they could afford to be act silly, but once they choked to West Stokes in 2015 they fell apart epically. All those kids quit playing there for various reasons, and they lost that WR who went to James Madison to Parkland, and they fell to earth. His last year was a nightmare.

His follow up never even tried to keep discipline up; I'm not sure his head was 100% there to begin with. When you have a staff of 10 dudes who curse at the kids and act a fool (two of their coaches got ejected for cursing in 2018 when we played them,) something was wrong. They were lucky to have South Davidson and Madison on the schedule in 2019 for those wins.

I'll give the new guy credit.. he seems like a really good dude. He told us they had 30-32 kids that just didn't have the grades to play.. if so he's already grown the program back out because that would have gave them 50-52 kids this year and they haven't had that in years. His main calling card was increasing a program's #'s. They still got a ways to grow though.. that team we played Saturday was SO dead and lacking energy.. they didn't want to be there at all. I could tell he was angered at the lack of effort though.. you could hear him yelling at the kids all the way down the hill in their locker room when we were trying to talk to ours on that field.. and that's up a hill 🤣

If they can get at least half of those ineligible kids back out for the fall with whatever freshmen they get, then they could do surprisingly well in that conference. There isn't no solid front runner there as those private schools change every year almost. Carver could do well at the 1A level if they put an effort in to do so.

Atkins and Walkertown being built killed the number for Carver since I graduated from my alma mater in 2003. All of Walkertown used to go to Carver along with many kids from eastern part of Winston Salem. When Atkins was built many of the good teachers I had left for that school. Then of course when Walkertown was built, everyone in the country moved there. Since the football been dormant, East Forsyth took a lot of our top athletes from that side of town too. The Eagles were the Trinity of 4A football back then.

That 03 team was the last REAL Yellow Jacket squad we had. We made that one championship run against Tarboro with Todd Gurley but our 3A caliber teams were built different.
Having five schools in within 7 miles does not make any sense with East forsyth being the only 4-A then you have Walkertown, Atkins, Carver and WS-Prrep

I remember going to Carver in 2003 for a playoff game. That was a wild place, for some reason I remember some of the windows on the school were boarded up. It was a great atmosphere for a game though.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
I remember going to Carver in 2003 for a playoff game. That was a wild place, for some reason I remember some of the windows on the school were boarded up. It was a great atmosphere for a game though.
Was it against Northwest Cabarrus? Think the school had started remodeling the windows during that time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT