ADVERTISEMENT

West Stokes

What about the offensive coordinator from Burns? He has been on the staff in the past. It was going to be tough on any coach following Upchurch on what he accomplished at West Stokes.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
What about the offensive coordinator from Burns? He has been on the staff in the past. It was going to be tough on any coach following Upchurch on what he accomplished at West Stokes.

Davey Diamont? Didn't he just go to Burns this past year?

I know it's a head job but I think that would be a downgrade at this point unless he just wants to come back home.

Mega Bummer.. I think a lot of Coach Johnson. He's one of the few Head Coaches I enjoy interacting with and we've been friends for years. He's a great Football mind and he's done a lot with very little. He didn't have that good of a situation coming in. UpChurch focused on that 2019 senior class solidly and once they left it gave him reason to leave so he could go run his business on a high note. The classes under them didn't have great #'s or the talent of the previous ones had but Johnson got a lot out of them than what most would have. Getting Coach Taylor in this past year as OC was genius; varsity they struggled to convert to that system but it helped them win that JV title this year.

Sadly we've heard around the mill the higher ups wanted more this year out of him. It was honestly a no win situation due to the conference they are in. It's so stacked. That McMichael game was probably what got him axed. Too many bad breaks that game. Besides that they really played to the level they could have besides maybe Galax. With the JV title I expected another year for him but I guess the higher ups wanted different.

As for his replacement it'll probably be the middle school coach; everyone fanboys over him down there. He's good for that level but much like Fortner at Forbush I'm not sure if he'd work for what they need. But West is in a way better spot than in Danbury so who knows. I don't think UpChurch will come back, I wouldn't if I was him, he's done enough to sit back and be happy. Internally wise they could hire Taylor but I'm not sure if he wants that again or not. But if he does he'd be a great fit for them. The kids really rallied to him. Worse case they can have whoever they want from outside. Whoever gets it will have a youth year this coming year but 2024 they will be a stubborn team. Those kids play hard.

Shame this happened so late; Johnson woulda been perfect for the South Stokes job. Whoever gets him on staff will have a good one.

Who's the middle school coach? Jason Sammons? Apparently he has already been hired to teach at the high school and will be leaving Chesnut Grove in January.

If West Stokes wants a winner then they need to go after Upchurch or someone off the staffs of the two winningest programs in the area, East Surry and Mount Airy. Those staffs have won a lot of football games together and several coaches on both staffs are very well known and respected in the area. No idea if Upchurch would even want to come back or if any of the coaches on those two staffs would be tempted to leave, but that is where I would start. Very solid program and traditionally the next best team out of the foothills year in and year out.

If West Stokes wants a winner then they need to go after Upchurch or someone off the staffs of the two winningest programs in the area, East Surry and Mount Airy.
Man, another good get would be Steve Whitt. Another guy from the West Stokes family.

Definitely gonna be an interesting couple of weeks.

Funny how times change.

Few years back all the West Stokes supporters were upset saying he spent more time worrying about a restaurant than his team and coaching from the booth.

Now they are happy to have him back?

Reactions: BigRedFan27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT