ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5 Power Poll/Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
After a week long absence (my writing schedule was screwed up and having to drive 4 hrs to and back last week wasn’t too sexy of a propistion so I skipped it,) the power poll is back. The screwed up schedule is a pain so hence the early posting. Anyways here we go:

1. Mount Airy Granite Bears +/-

2. East Surry Cardinals +/-

For the 2nd straight week the Cards faced a challenge however unlike week 3 the Cards managed to turn it around much earlier. This week East faces it’s first real athletic challenge in West Stokes who always plays East hard in the birds nest.

3. West Stokes Wildcats +/-

West had it’s first comfortable win this year as the Wildcats scored 20 unanswered points as McMichael proved incompetent stopping the run. Brown looks to be a force on the ground for West so I expect him to have a ton of carries this week as Smith did for North Surry 2 weeks back. West’s D meanwhile will have a battle on it’s hands with Gosnell.

4.North Surry Greyhounds +/-

After a realization moment in week 2 the ‘Hounds answered the bell well in week 3 however it was a close loss. The Hounds are learning how to fight for wins and respect. Week 4 meanwhile gave them a long road trip but with a great shot at a win. Despite a somewhat blah start North came alive very sudden in just a quarter last week as Smith went off for another solid game and North’s D shut CSD’s pass down for a good win repping Surry Co down south. This week North faces it’s crosstown rival at home in another well packed matchup. This is the start of a 2 week home stand which will have homecoming and the conference opener next week.

5A. Elkin Buckin Elks -1

The Elks have been off a week repairing from a morose performance vs. MA week 3. This week they have a home game for a change as South Stokes comes to town. South is struggling bad to produce consistently on offense and Elkin has a nack for stopping the run. Should be a good return to form for the Elks.

5B.Wilkes Central Eagles +1

WC showed a lot of heart last week vs a stout Pioneer squad from Watauga. However a 1-3 start isn’t what the Eagles wanted but they have a chance to fix it as they host West Wilkes next week.

7. Ashe County Huskies +1

Needless to say in a lot of people’s eyes the Huskies have overperformed; but I expected this to happen. Ashe has a real solid sophomore class to lean on and that QB is solid as well as the young RB. Defense is benefiting off these kids; it may be a fun few years up on the mountain. Ashe like Elkin is over performing with the 10th graders but hey whatever works eh? Ashe has a solid chance at winning the 2A portion of the conference but gotta get ready for Alleghany first.

8. Starmount Rams +1

The Rams have been an eccclictic rollercoaster this season. They have their moments of brilliance vs MA and for a bit against West but they had egg in their faces vs. ES and especially the ‘Bush. The Rams have the potential to be good this year but they haven’t quite yet found the right way to do it yet. It doesn’t get any easier for the Rams as the battle of the bridge is up next after their bye week.

9. East Wilkes Cardinals +1

The Ronda Cards have had a little of everything happen to them this year. They were demolished like an old building week one; had easy wins week 2 and 3, and pulled victory out of the jaws of defeat last week vs. Walkertown. Don’t know if it was the good haul or Walkertown’s speed but the Cards weren’t in their right head and made some real mistakes that cost them early and had to overcome an opportunistic Walkertown team who was running it well. East def needs to work on the mental stuff and ball control but for East to come back like that shows maturity for this squad that will help in MVAC time.

10. North Wilkes Vikings +/-

11. Forbush Falcons +2

The ‘Bush are the most unpredictable team in the area this year. A lot of it due to their youth but a lot of it is due to Johnson’s coaching style. He gets a ton more out of these kids that many other coaches would not. Last week’s upset of the Rams is just that especially after a rough loss to EW. This week they face a very open offensive team in North Wilkes who have had an odd pre-season. This one should be a very physical game as both play each other hard. Bush has the size advantage for the first time in a while but NW is a little older so may be shootout.

12. Bishop McGuinness Villains +2

If I had to pick a team for the surprise of the year approaching the mid point I will go with this group of Villains. Hackett has done a great job with these kids as he has finally got them believing in themselves and his style of play. They are very physical and love to hit and that will pay dividends in conference play. This week they face a very young and lost in translation Atkins squad who they managed to upset last year to save their season. A win here will prop them good for a potential run for 3rd place in the NW but Atkins first.

13. South Stokes Sauras -6

The Sauras are having a very hard time right now. Offensively they seem to have lost their mojo after that blown win in week 2 as they have only scored 6 points since while the D is very porous. These kids are definitely not playing to their potential as they should have a win or two by now. They badly need a tough performance this week or next as they are fighting to save their season.

14. West Wilkes Blackhawks -2

West’s offense died last week as they lost their ability to pass and Bishop exploited their turnovers to the promised land. West is in rough shape if that is set to become a way of going for the Blackhawks. This week they face a stumbling Bunker Hill team who has underperformed badly so far. BH has the better talent but West has 2 wins; might be enough to help in this one but they gotta overcome the long trip and homefield.

15. Walkertown Wolfpack -1

The inconsistent Wolfpack played out of their heads last week as they exploited EW’s mistakes by running Cherry back from a leg injury and using a short pass plan to get 2 TD’s. However their defense faulted late and let the win slip away. Cherry is becoming one of the area’s best RB’s but without other weapons on offense the ‘Pack is growing very 1 dimensional and their defense is a major liability right now. Things won’t get any easier for the pack as their next three games will be very tough. However the final 4 games present solid chances to win and maybe sneak in the 2A west playoffs perhaps.

16. Alleghany Trojans +1

17. WS Prep Phoenix -1

WSP had a very lopsided win vs a young and rough to watch Christ The King squad to halt a 2 game losing streak. The Phoenix badly need a statement win and a chance to play a 4A Mecklenburg school could be one however South is another beast for Prep so it’s hard to see them winning. However conference wise they may have the athletic horses to pull 3rd out with South badly underperforming.

18. Surry Central Golden Eagles +2

The Golden Eagles played out of their heads last week and had their first real performance of the season. I’m sure their knowledge of the option helped them on defense but a rivalry game sure made the Eagles much tougher. However things won’t get easier for them after their bye as they head to MA, but on the bright side they have what could be their best chance to win as they head to Atkins to be their homecoming matchup.

19. Atkins Camels -1

The Camels are a mess right now to be quite simple. They are very young and in transition but it didn’t help when they lost their best defensive player week 1; it’s thrown everything into flux for them. Last week came what could be a low point for them as they let a South Davidson team that hadn’t score any points all year not only score on them but they gave up 28 points in the second half and lost by 2 TD’s. That is the last thing the Camels needed but it’s gonna get much harder for them as they host Bishop and head to North Surry next week. They will have to be ready to be physical or else it will be a long night both Fridays. The Central game represents what could be their best chance for a W perhaps.

20. Carver Yellow Jackets

The EF Eagles were very nice to the Jackets last week stopping at 60 points; that is an improvement from last year for Carver. However it is still a humiliating loss for them at home. Stats wise the Jackets are doing somewhat better in their points average so far but it’s hard to tell how that’s gonna help in the long run. Their week 2 loss however was a solid disappointment for them. This week they face a much better Parkland squad who beat Carver very meh last year. This year I see being a much different game and maybe a dud end to a horrific non conference slate. Next week’s game vs. the ‘Bush could quite possibly be the season definer for the Jackets.

21. North Stokes Vikings

The Vikings are struggling right now to do much of anything. With the injury of their starting QB which couldn’t come at worse time they head into perhaps their one chance at a W this year vs. a 0-3 Patrick County squad who barely beat North Stokes last year. This could be the game for a win for the Vikings but they gotta be willing to fight for it it’s not gonna be easy.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Game Picks:

West Stokes at East Surry (Gosnell will test's West D while Brown will test East's.)
South Stokes at Elkin (Elkin's solid vs. run and it's all South can do.)
North Wilkes at Forbush (Could go either way due to NW's defense. Forbush could ball control them to death if they don't step up.)

North Stokes
at Patrick Co (UPSET because why not?)
West Wilkes at Bunker Hill (Upset, long drive and hunger to win could hurt West.)

Bishop at Atkins (Bishop is jamming while Atkins is bombing)
Walkertown at Statesville
Parkland
at Carver (Gonna be less closer than last year)

I appreciate the hard work you put into this but how in the world do you have South Stokes ranked higher than Alleghany, when my Trojans just beat the wheels off of them at their place 36-8, would have been 42-8 if we wouldn't have fumbled on the last drive? I'd understand if the game was close but we blew them out. Unless these are "potential" ratings. South definitely had the speed advantage over us...but it didn't matter. South's defense was bad...really bad.

I appreciate the hard work you put into this but how in the world do you have South Stokes ranked higher than Alleghany, when my Trojans just beat the wheels off of them at their place 36-8, would have been 42-8 if we wouldn't have fumbled on the last drive? I'd understand if the game was close but we blew them out. Unless these are "potential" ratings. South definitely had the speed advantage over us...but it didn't matter. South's defense was bad...really bad.

Strength of schedule mostly is why South is where they are at. South has had tougher teams to play with better records (West Stokes, North Wilkes, and Elkin.) Alleghany has scored a majority of their points vs. North and South Stokes. Still hard to judge South as they haven't played a team with a losing record yet (they will next week with Bartlett Yancy.)

Keep up the D play and produce points in conference and you all will rise.

I remember when this game was played in a full Bowman Gray Stadium, it will be a struggle to get 500 there tonight. Disagree running clock before halftime.

That's what I mean by few points; it was about what I was expecting. Parkland's a machine digging their offense on the Hudl clips I have found.

It's amazing to see how much of Carver's base has died in just 5 years. When Crowell was there they always brought a good base to our games and at home but now not so much. They did draw a crowd to our game with them last year due to their homecoming but for JV's they barely brought 15 people to North last year. Varsity wise I'm not expecting a ton of people. From the clips I've seen it looked like a desert on their stands vs. some schools. Sad.

Your logic makes no sense, strength of schedule puts them ahead of us?...we blew them out....maxpreps has us ranked higher than them and they use strength of schedule. I like our ranking in your logic except south stokes is the only team we should be higher than....south stokes just got blown out by elkin...but im sure next week they will be higher than alleghany still bc elkin is a good team. We actually beat them worse last week than elkin did at home last night. Head to head butt whippings should weigh more in rankings than strength of schedule...your telling me if alleghany scheduled butler, independence, and richmond senior...we would be ranked higher than south stokes? somehow i doubt it. But hey we all have our opinions.

Hard to judge south stokes? they got blown out by alleghany at their own place....lol. Other than north stokes every season how many blowout wins does alleghany have the last few seasons lol. We aren't some powerhouse program lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT