ADVERTISEMENT

Wed. Feb.4 Post Scores Rd. #4 Playoffs Girls & Boys

South Granville leads 72-66 .. 19 seconds left ... game delayed - not sure what happened ... sounds like some "fans" got involved ... radio guys say pepper spray involved.
Yea cops sprayed reidsville players for no reason.

What? That's what I've been told from people there and the radio guy confirmed it saying S granville fans started a fight and cops came over and started spraying pepper spray and it got in the faces of many ram players.

Game at South Granville suspended with 19.1 seconds left ... players will return Thursday to finish it. No fans allowed.

I'm sure there is plenty of video to sort through. Hope no players from either school involved.

Reidsville vs South Granville Game is suspended till Thursday time undecided. It was a big brawl, many rams players affected by the pepper spray. The game Thursday will resume with the 19.1 seconds left on the clock.

No fans will be allowed back at the game Thursday. I really hate it had to end this way.

Teresa Allen (mother of 8th grader Al Lee) was live streaming on Facebook.....I just watched the whole thing...Cops went overboard.....Student waving sign got right up in Reidsville bench during timeout...and got taken down...what did he think was gonna happen...I blame the administration of South Granville...watch it if you can.....I sent a message to her that she should send video to NCHSAA (for all the good it will do).......................South Granville players were not involved as far as I could tell................

Just a dumb way to end the season. Pointless by whomever is involved. But I dont understand why the police did what they did. Made the situation even worse. Thanks BBQ for your point of view

Apparently Holmes and Henderson Collegiate also ended with a fight with under a minute to go. Henderson Collegiate 72, Edenton Holmes 62

Reactions: mbdfan
Just a dumb way to end the season. Pointless by whomever is involved. But I dont understand why the police did what they did. Made the situation even worse. Thanks BBQ for your point of view
I was at opposite end of the floor. The number of fans emptying onto the court was not good. Could have gotten really bad really fast. It's a shame a game that good had to end like that

Is it me or are incidents like this happening way too often around this country. I see videos of fights during games involving little kids to high school kids. Usually by parents or fans who can't behave. It's really pathetic what society has turned in to. It's just a game people!!!!!

Oh well. Just waiting on football season again. Really wanted a title in bball again for the rams. This was their chance.

Reactions: Veejay4
Is it me or are incidents like this happening way too often around this country. I see videos of fights during games involving little kids to high school kids. Usually by parents or fans who can't behave. It's really pathetic what society has turned in to. It's just a game people!!!!!
IMO, any spectators who got involved in a negative way should be banned from attending any future games.

SGHS should get a technical for the behavior that went on. Any thoughts on what may happen?

not sure with 19 seconds left and down by 6 with SG shooting FT.'s that it would be worth an hour and half trip.........still looking at video it looks like a school official made a feeble attempt to stop the idiot with the sign that was heading for the Reidsville bench.............if he was stopped where he made the feeble attempt...none of this would have happened.............................................................

not sure with 19 seconds left and down by 6 with SG shooting FT.'s that it would be worth an hour and half trip.........still looking at video it looks like a school official made a feeble attempt to stop the idiot with the sign that was heading for the Reidsville bench.............if he was stopped where he made the feeble attempt...none of this would have happened.............................................................
I think they should send a message to SGHS and make it worth the trip and start the clock at 2 or 3 minutes if it is proven the SGHS went into the Reidsville huddle with a sign and add the technical. Not worth 1 and a half-hour drive for 19 seconds to finish the game !

Last edited:
Reactions: Veejay4
Saw another video and a student from SG definitely went into the Reidsville huddle during the timeout. A deputy tackled and subdued that idiot. Fans started to pour onto the court. Another law enforcement officer started to spray into the crowd.
This could have easily been avoided by playing in a bigger gym. Way too many people in the gym. Great game and highly contested. Emotions on both sides on high. Unfortunate end to a fantastic game.

So unfortunate for reidsville players & fans. Pepper Spray is terrible. NCHSAA needs to do something of SGHS. It’s so unfortunate for Reidsville

So unfortunate for reidsville players & fans. Pepper Spray is terrible. NCHSAA needs to do something of SGHS. It’s so unfortunate for Reidsville
Coach Ross tweeted that the players, coaches and Admin couldn't have been more supportive after the incident

Ban them from the playoffs next year. That would send a message.

Terrible that this incident happened. This is what I think happened based on the posts: ONE student carried a sign into Reidsville's huddle. He was tackled apparently by a security person and then an incident erupted. Now we have people calling for the school to be suspend from the playoffs or "taught a lesson" by rewriting the rules of the game. To me with my limited info it sounds as if one student used terrible judgement that security responded quickly and in the highly charged atmosphere an incident took place. Please correct me if my conclusions are faulty. My question is do we all want all schools judged by the behavior of one student and actions taken to impact players who, by most accounts had no involvement in the action?

Reactions: new_dawg
Saw another video and a student from SG definitely went into the Reidsville huddle during the timeout. A deputy tackled and subdued that idiot. Fans started to pour onto the court. Another law enforcement officer started to spray into the crowd.
This could have easily been avoided by playing in a bigger gym. Way too many people in the gym. Great game and highly contested. Emotions on both sides on high. Unfortunate end to a fantastic game.

I was thinking the bigger gym would have helped

still stand by my statement.....the apparent school official could've stopped the whole thing if he had made a better attempt at stopping the fool with sign from getting up in the Reidsville players and coaches while they were huddled at THEIR BENCH during a timeout.....not blaming SG coaches or players...evidently it was heck of a game...............................

still stand by my statement.....the apparent school official could've stopped the whole thing if he had made a better attempt at stopping the fool with sign from getting up in the Reidsville players and coaches while they were huddled at THEIR BENCH during a timeout.....not blaming SG coaches or players...evidently it was heck of a game...............................

That kid should have stopped when he tried to stop him. That should be a technical foul. Not saying we are innocent in the matter.

If this were the rams fans doing this, the state would force a forfeit from reidsville

seems like if the Nchsaa would stop being cheap and have regionals in neutral sites with a nice sized gyms this stuff wouldn't happen. I'm not sure I've ever heard of this happening in those settings. Too many emotional people, in a cramped setting with the whole season on the line.

So many ifs, ands, or buts in a situation like this... Sadly, it seems like things like this are happening much more frequently. The ultimate problem is our society. Sometimes, it's easy to blame everyone, but the guilty one. The dip$@!+ that initiated things with the sign is the one to blame. Discipline him. Don't punish the teams that from what I've read and seen had absolutely nothing to do with it. Also, I've read where several people are blaming the administrator for not subduing him... It seems to me that he was pretty intent on what he was going to do. Nobody was going to de-escalate him in that very moment. So, If the administrator had have gotten physical or if things would've turned violent between the two in the slightest, then we would be having a very different conversation right now. They would currently be shredding the man to pieces on every liberal news channel you could turn your TV on. "Administrator assaults student". Gotta look at things from diff views sometimes. Simply punish the idiots. You can't punish the players, coaches, and fans that have invested so much, this deep in the season. Assess them a T, play out the last few secs, and move on.

I think a technical should have happened. Also nchsaa putting regionals in a neutral setting.

seems like if the Nchsaa would stop being cheap and have regionals in neutral sites with a nice sized gyms this stuff wouldn't happen. I'm not sure I've ever heard of this happening in those settings. Too many emotional people, in a cramped setting with the whole season on the line.

Regionals are at neutral sites. This Saturday...westerns are in Hickory...easterns are in Greenville/Fayetteville.

true but for years the regionals had semis and finals at neutral location.....hey and I'm so old that I remember when the NCHSAA had the Final 8 at a neutral site......for years 4A was in Greensboro Grimsley, 3A was at Durham high school, 2A was at W-S Reynolds and 1A was at Garner High School.....old timers remember those days?? I liked it when it was like that......very exciting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT