ADVERTISEMENT

Turf vs No Turf

Pro Turf or Pro Natural Grass

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueDevil1996

May 20, 2020
I thought I would make a form about Turf vs No turf, Seem like in WNC/Piedmont of NC as well there is growing theme of High schools getting turf which includes Lincolnton, Hickory, Concord, AL Brown and Many other have or gotten turf in last 5-10 years.
There been a debate on IF turf is Safe for Athletes as we seen issue at the highest level in the NFL and even in college due to turf and injuries related to turf !

Are you PRO Turf or Pro Natural Grass?

Personally - I am Pro Turf and Thats only been because Mooresville has had turf and thats all I have known throughout my HS career and I have seen many school along the way convert to Turf since then and also Many HS get turf to save Money and Maintains unlike the NFL/College that have the means and funds to have crews and other people maintain their facilities

Only Negative for me is - It is expensive to replace or repair if something does happen to it and also HEAT that also come with turf makes it even HOTTER in the summer months and also TURF burn is just as bad as Road Rash

I've only dealt with turf once in all of my years, we scrimmaged at App State in 2019 with East Surry, Ashe, and Watauga. That whole experience was insane and it was awesome to be at and watch. The turf was just super, super weird. It reminded me of that scene in Beetlejuice when the couple shrinks down to the model town and they are on the cemetery, the fake grass looked so dang weird and they commented on how odd it felt. Also that scene where he got the bug with the candy bar.

It's very, very weird. I even rolled around on it to experience it like I did a tackle. It's odd. Our players hated it and so did the Ashe guys.

But, I'm willing to re-evaluate it. We scrimmage at Watauga high this year hopefully their material is different and it's better.

For now I'm a grass dude. Granted it is it's own pain, but hoping I like it better this time.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I've only dealt with turf once in all of my years, we scrimmaged at App State in 2019 with East Surry, Ashe, and Watauga. That whole experience was insane and it was awesome to be at and watch. The turf was just super, super weird. It reminded me of that scene in Beetlejuice when the couple shrinks down to the model town and they are on the cemetery, the fake grass looked so dang weird and they commented on how odd it felt. Also that scene where he got the bug with the candy bar.

It's very, very weird. I even rolled around on it to experience it like I did a tackle. It's odd. Our players hated it and so did the Ashe guys.

But, I'm willing to re-evaluate it. We scrimmage at Watauga high this year hopefully their material is different and it's better.

For now I'm a grass dude. Granted it is it's own pain, but hoping I like it better this time.
Where do u coach? And yes the texture is wired and I hate the black pellets bc they get in your shoes n all so but that’s what helps your cleats with traction n all

Only thing awesome about grass is u can put whatever design and all on the grass with turf u can’t change anything

That's what it was! Those weird pellets. That was what made me go WTF when I first got on it. All the players said the same thing when we got there on it, it was unique and felt like nothing I ever experienced. I think their turf's different from the high school ones, I hope so anyways.

I do dig the look of PL Prep's turf though. That grey field is beyond beautiful.

I do stats for North Surry.

App replaced their field turf in 2020 with a new style of turf.

The black pellets are infill to help stabilize the field and keep the grass blades upright. It's made with grounded up tires.

I have seen some schools put a white logo in the middle and you can still change the paint color if you want for special occasions. They make washable paint now used for turf that is easy to remove.

I have seen some schools put a white logo in the middle and you can still change the paint color if you want for special occasions. They make washable paint now used for turf that is easy to remove.

Many of your venues with turf that host many events don't have permanent lines and use that paint. It was pretty cool watching the field get preped for the Super Bowl.

Thats cool!

I am 100% natural grass and think the fake crap is an abomination against everything that is good in the world. Grass is safer to play on and we don't know what the long term effects could be of having the dust of those ground up tires being stuck on your skin and even breathing some of it in. That being said, I can understand why some high schools may go that route as it is not easy to keep a grass football field in good shape for several months over a season. Especially when it is also used by the JV team and maybe the school's soccer teams as well. Many high schools don't have the $$$ and the personnel to keep a grass field up to snuff over a long season. But no college nor pro team should ever use that fake crap. At those levels using turf is simply due to being cheap and being too lazy to care for a grass field.

Reactions: BK13T-$
:"That being said, I can understand why some high schools may go that route as it is not easy to keep a grass football field in good shape for several months over a season. Especially when it is also used by the JV team and maybe the school's soccer teams as well." Not easy? Try next to IMPOSSIBLE. Why do the colleges that still use grass turf fields look so good in November? Because they are not used for anything except 5 or 6 home games, where the HS fields are used by youth league football (and soccer) middle schoole football/soccer JV football as well as varsity, not to mention other uses such as bands and band festivals at many of them. Colleges also have the resources of ground crews that keep them up like a golf courses year round. At the high school level, the field is bare in the middle by the first of October generally. There ARE exceptions. IDK how Franklin keeps their grass field so well unless they have other fields for the other teams to play.

Reactions: BK13T-$
IDK how Franklin keeps their grass field so well unless they have other fields for the other teams to play.
The Brooks Brothers put an incredible amount of time and effort into that field. The football teams use every other blade of grass on campus for practice and Franklin soccer almost always plays at the Middle School, but little league and JV play at the high school. It really comes down to the effort in maintaining the Bermuda.

The Brooks Brothers put an incredible amount of time and effort into that field. The football teams use every other blade of grass on campus for practice and Franklin soccer almost always plays at the Middle School, but little league and JV play at the high school. It really comes down to the effort in maintaining the Bermuda.
Just the way it should. Soccer should not be played on a football field. It's a much bigger field when done right. Plus it's like kickball on a football field. Not to mention it's a revenue drain
If you want to really fix. It. Move boys soccer to the spring just like girls soccer. Cut down on travel costs etc. Plus no baseball players are playing soccer. We could get the Latin community more involved in futbol de Norte Americana. At least they are tough kids.

Reactions: fitguync30
Just the way it should. Soccer should not be played on a football field. It's a much bigger field when done right. Plus it's like kickball on a football field. Not to mention it's a revenue drain
If you want to really fix. It. Move boys soccer to the spring just like girls soccer. Cut down on travel costs etc. Plus no baseball players are playing soccer. We could get the Latin community more involved in futbol de Norte Americana. At least they are tough kids.
Yeah, football fields for football only. They should not be used for soccer or lacrosse or any other sports. But I understand some schools have to do this due to space restrictions and not having enough land on campus for so many athletic fields.

Turf man it will make mt airy look stronger the feild turns terrible brown mid season I might be acting out content though
Is Mount Airy's football field still used for Varsity, & JV football, and boys & girls soccer in spring & fall ? They used to play little league football on Saturday, not sure if they do or not now. I say with the video scoreboard they have then they need a turf field. Just have to get the youth foundation behind it and it will happen. With soccer being played twice a year on it and a lot of running up and down and every which way on the field, it is no wonder the field turns terribly brown mid-season with all the traffic it gets. Need to give all the rich people in Pilot Mountain a reason to do a turf field for East Surry. I hear they are getting a video scoreboard soon, or do they also do a turf field first? LOL
I say nothing but the best for the BEARS 🏈⚾ field.

Turf would look good at Mt Airy and the mid season brown out would be gone but yea it does cost money it would accommodate that scoreboard nicely

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Is Mount Airy's football field still used for Varsity, & JV football, and boys & girls soccer in spring & fall ? They used to play little league football on Saturday, not sure if they do or not now. I say with the video scoreboard they have then they need a turf field. Just have to get the youth foundation behind it and it will happen. With soccer being played twice a year on it and a lot of running up and down and every which way on the field, it is no wonder the field turns terribly brown mid-season with all the traffic it gets. Need to give all the rich people in Pilot Mountain a reason to do a turf field for East Surry. I hear they are getting a video scoreboard soon, or do they also do a turf field first? LOL
I say nothing but the best for the BEARS 🏈⚾ field.
Looks like you guys might be having some issues I. The youth foundation doing any extra for them with all that just happened. You guys got a little issue with the sup over there it sounds like

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT