ADVERTISEMENT

Tradition

TGT

Sep 18, 2001
There's Shelby and Reidsville obviously, but many of the other small-town schools in the playoffs today have a great state championship tradition dating back to the 50s and 60s. Others include Elizabeth City, Wallace, Mt. Airy, Tarboro, Clinton, Elizabethtown and Randleman.

In 1964, for example, there were four regional 2-A state champions in NCHSAA.
Edenton, Elizabethtown and Mount Pleasant were the champs along with Appalachian.

Elizabethtown won titles in 1962, 1963 and 1964 ...

Questions for the East Bladen fans ..
1. What year did Elizabethtown High become East Bladen and what other schools were involved in the consolidation?

2. East Bladen was runner-up to Thomasville in 2008. Any other championship game appearances?

3. Where are those Elizabethtown championship trophies displayed?

Tgt,

Elizabethtown High School became East Bladen in 1972. The consolidation of three schools Bladen Central High, East Arcadia & Eliizabethtown. Also in 1973 East Bladen tied Jamestown Ragsdale 16-16 for the State 3-A Title, that was Coach Bob Lewis's first state title.

Unfortunately there is no tradition so to speak in Elizabeth City North Carolina.NHS I believe we did win a so called C'ship in the 70s before the schools from the east played the west in a true state c'ship.I could be wrong though, I'm sure someone can elaborate on that. We havent earned much respect just yet, but that will all change this Friday night after we beat Wallace-Rose Hill. We don't have any rings or much tradition at all other than conference c'ships. They say to be the man you got to beat the man.Our quest truly begins this Friday night when the tradition rich Wallace-Rose Hill comes to town.

Reactions: dogs79
Reidsville played Elizabeth City High School twice for Class B state titles......1932 Reidsville won 32-12 and 1940 Reidsville winning that one as well 14-12 (that game was played at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill).....In 1969 Reidsville won the Western 3A state title over Mount Airy 35-12...and also that same year Elizabeth City (they may have been Northeastern by then) won the State 3A Eastern title......So daagoob..you got more history there than you know...lol..............

If you're wondering, back in the 1930's there were only 2 classifications in playoffs
A and B..................

Reactions: daagoob
Reidsville played Elizabeth City High School twice for Class B state titles......1932 Reidsville won 32-12 and 1940 Reidsville winning that one as well 14-12 (that game was played at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill).....In 1969 Reidsville won the Western 3A state title over Mount Airy 35-12...and also that same year Elizabeth City (they may have been Northeastern by then) won the State 3A Eastern title......So daagoob..you got more history there than you know...lol..............

If you're wondering, back in the 1930's there were only 2 classifications in playoffs
A and B..................

Thanks, I knew the Elizabeth City Yellow Jackets had played in the title game before because my mother graduated from there. I was referring to NHS which is where I graduated from. 1969 was the first year that NHS was open I believe.When I graduated in 91 we were a 4A school.

Rambbq, do you have any thoughts on the matchup between WRH and NHS? I'm one of the few who thinks that Northeastern is going to win. I also think that we will win by 14 +. Would you mind chiming in, I am very open minded. I would like an outsiders opinion. Thanks for the history, very informative

Also before integration Elizabeth City had several powerful P.W. Moore teams including a State Championship in 1965 in the NCHSAC. They played Winston Salem Carver. A few of the PW Moore players played in the NFL including Johnnie Walton who QB for a while with the Rams and Eagles.
Just some did you know info....

Reactions: daagoob
I know about Elizabethtown because my dad played for the Allen Jay team that beat them in the playoffs in 70.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Well...I know some people have said that NE seems to choke in playoffs (i.e. last year I was sure we would end up playing you guys in state title game but NE stumbled in quarter finals vs. Holmes, after beating them during reg. season).....WRH has always been strong regardless of class even moving up to 2A this year....Since Eagles are playing at home I'm going with NE to win by 3 pts.....But I'm just making a guess...since I've never seen either team play.........They say defense wins games.....might be the case here....that whoever plays best D wins......playing at home could be the difference..........................

Well...I know some people have said that NE seems to choke in playoffs (i.e. last year I was sure we would end up playing you guys in state title game but NE stumbled in quarter finals vs. Holmes, after beating them during reg. season).....WRH has always been strong regardless of class even moving up to 2A this year....Since Eagles are playing at home I'm going with NE to win by 3 pts.....But I'm just making a guess...since I've never seen either team play.........They say defense wins games.....might be the case here....that whoever plays best D wins......playing at home could be the difference..........................

Thanks for your Input

I think you forgot Sw0 you name some teams that haven't won nothing #fact check that
I was listing small-town schools. Not sure where SWO fits in that category. Anyway, in a quest for history, what schools merged to make SWO?

No school merge to make

You had Georgetown which was all black. They built sw in 1978. It was the integrated school. Georgetown high won a couple championships. A lot of talent comes out of Gt

East Bladen when have EB won some hardware. Now Elizabethtown went in 63/64 Now east bladen went in 08 lost to thomasville 42-13

Orangecrush95, East Bladen were State 3-A Co-Champions with Jamestown- Ragsdale in 1973. 16-16 tie.
They didn't have overtime periods at that time. "Oh yeah" that's fact. Another SWO fan didn't complete his research. I have witnessed everyone of championships that Elizabethtown or East Bladen has won. Yeah! I'm that old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT