ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Top Players

If I was making a preseason 1A all state team, it would probably be

C- Jay Huff, Voyager
F- Trevor Willis, East Carteret
F- Zach Cottrell, Hayesville
G- Kody Shubert, Lincoln Charter
G- Daivien Williamson, WS Prep

Some others to watch would be Zaire Williams (WS Prep), Clay Mounce (Mt. Airy), Patrick Tape (Queens Grant), Tyrell Kirk (Whiteville), Josiah Simmons (Pamlico)

Last edited:

C- Jay Huff, Voyager

Some others to watch would be Zaire Williams (WS Prep), Clay Mounce (Mt. Airy), Patrick Tape (Queens Grant), Tyrell Kirk (Whiteville), Josiah Simmons (Pamlico)

A real surprise may be Josh Cottrell soph. PG for Hayesville. Really good shooter and defender. EXCEPTIONAL court vision. He gets the ball where most guards don't even see the opportunity.

Kody Shubert from Lincoln Charter is the real deal. Best sophomore/player I've seen play in the surrounding areas and more. Big time player. Also, saw the big kid from Ashbrook, who transferred and plays 3A, play and he is really, really good. Hope he gets situation behind him because he can play too. The Williamson kid from WS Prep can play and the Mounce kid from Mount Airy. Should be fun this year. Good luck to everyone

Kody Shubert from Lincoln Charter is the real deal. Best sophomore/player I've seen play in the surrounding areas and more. Big time player. Also, saw the big kid from Ashbrook, who transferred and plays 3A, play and he is really, really good. Hope he gets situation behind him because he can play too. The Williamson kid from WS Prep can play and the Mounce kid from Mount Airy. Should be fun this year. Good luck to everyone
The Mounce kid from Mount Airy is he not around 6'8" or 6"9'.and had a brother maybe taller or an inch or to shorter.

Clay Mounce is a little shorter than that. Listed at 6-6 last year. He's got two older brothers that are 6-10. One graduated Mt Airy last year and plays at UNC Pembroke. The older one plays at Tusculum but I think he played high school at Elkin and Forsyth Country Day.

C- Jay Huff, Voyager

All Good choices the 1a is loaded with talent I'm super excited to see how things pan out. For me this time of year is Christmas.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Clay Mounce is a little shorter than that. Listed at 6-6 last year. He's got two older brothers that are 6-10. One graduated Mt Airy last year and plays at UNC Pembroke. The older one plays at Tusculum but I think he played high school at Elkin and Forsyth Country Day.

Carson's the one at Pembroke. If he plays up to his potential, Pembroke's got themselves one heck of a steal.

Malik McCrimmon, North Moore
Stephen Meisenheimer, North Stanly
Luke Gibson, North Stanly
Darius McGhee, Roxboro Community
Vince Corneilison, South Davidson

Our Mariners have reloaded their cannons . No doubt, Captain Trevor Willis deserves a spot on the All State 1-A ship . However, I feel his first mate, ECU Football Wide Receiver junior commit Robert "Deshawn" Johnson deserves a spot beside him and will be the biggest surprise in 1A basketball this season. True 6'4" size with a huge vertical leap, he will bring a new inside heavy dimension to the State Champion Assault from the Sea . Get ready ye landlubbers. We're back and we're hungry for more gold ....

Never heard of him til this year. So the bridge is back open. Good for East! If they redistrict like is proposed, EC could be real strong for years to come in all sports.

His family is from Beaufort. Ever heard of Cornelius Johnson? He's DeShauns older brother. Jacque and Sam's cousin and an ECU football commit at Wide Reciever as junior. By the way "Little Jack" Garrison has grown up and is desperately trying to fill his Dad's shoes, and doing a good job of it this season so far . The Trophy is staying in North River .

Last edited:
1a should be loaded with all the Prepss and BM. NC BBall is a joke. Not even fun to watch anymore. Thanks silver spoons. We know who will win already. That's really boring.

Thank God wrestling has started now. Lets see them take that over. haha.

Reactions: Fourth'n'Inches
Cornelius was a beast. Great kid and worked hard in the weight room. Really a great young man! I hope he's doing well. When I was there Corn's family moved over to MHC so his little brother could go play football at West. I was really hoping he would come to EC and help turn it around. I think his name was Tyrell? Anyway, the word I heard was that they are looking at making the Mill Creek kids go to East instead of West. That would help the athletic program overall. We got a lot of our good athletes out of there at West. Heard they are looking to change the lines a little to make the schools more balanced.

Yep. They are at 660 in the last realignment numbers. Were 542 at the end of 2014 spring. So the school is growing again.

Yep. They are at 660 in the last realignment numbers. Were 542 at the end of 2014 spring. So the school is growing again.
Wow! Where did that spurt come from in such a short time.
When I was there(many years ago) we had over 900 kids and were 3-A.

Not sure. But when the new bridge is done it should grow even more. Good school and a good community to live in!

Who is the top boys players in 1A this year?

Folks Justice Goodloe of WS Prep might be the best Pg in the 2018 class when it's all said and done. Watched him dissect his opponents. Went for 26 & 8 against GBoro Day..... In Bobby Martin Classic.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT