ADVERTISEMENT

Today

buzzcoach

Apr 26, 2004
winston salem nc
This morning I drove to Morganton which is about 30 min from Asheville. And 7 miles from Morganton to my exit 86 trees where just lying in rows on side of highway. It was like they were just pushed over in rows. Coming back toward Statesville I seem about 50 DOT Trucks and Sheriff suvs from many places as well as church vans with supplies and many bobcats and excavator and bulldozers and drains and huge pipes headed West! The people are doing there part I just wonder why military is not on the ground helping.

The military is on the ground helping. Thousands of troops from the NC National Guard, Fort Liberty, and other states are aiding with troops. I see Chinooks and military copters in the air daily.

As said, I don't think people understand how big of an area this is and how the terrain of this area is. You didn't even hit a blimp on the radar of the area that was hit. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

The military is on the ground helping. Thousands of troops from the NC National Guard, Fort Liberty, and other states are aiding with troops. I see Chinooks and military copters in the air daily.

As said, I don't think people understand how big of an area this is and how the terrain of this area is. You didn't even hit a blimp on the radar of the area that was hit. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.
I realize that saying what o seem just going down t highway. Glad to hear military is up there.

I don't think our government understands how big of an area it is. A lot of people out there haven't seen any government helping yet. I know the amount of government out there sounds like a lot but in reality it's nothing compared to what they need. Hopefully they get more soon

Ashe County has had a lot of help from troops and FEMA. Can't speak for other areas, but numerous helicopter flights in and out of the hardest hit areas here with supplies, as well as humvees traveling up roads I wouldn't even walk down last week trying to help people out, it's been pretty wild to witness. FEMA has set up two or three different locations to help walk folks through how to apply and quickly surveying damage to get applications approved. Thankfully I had no house damage and other than losing all the food in my fridge and freezer with the power being out for 7 days. However I already received $300 from FEMA for emergency food replacement and am eligible for $750 more.

Ashe County has had a lot of help from troops and FEMA. Can't speak for other areas, but numerous helicopter flights in and out of the hardest hit areas here with supplies, as well as humvees traveling up roads I wouldn't even walk down last week trying to help people out, it's been pretty wild to witness. FEMA has set up two or three different locations to help walk folks through how to apply and quickly surveying damage to get applications approved. Thankfully I had no house damage and other than losing all the food in my fridge and freezer with the power being out for 7 days. However I already received $300 from FEMA for emergency food replacement and am eligible for $750 more.
Oh man that's 👍

I don't doubt their are holes in the system and it's not a perfect system but I've seen many people say the support is there. I'm sure there are still areas struggling to get support and for reasons mentioned.

I also think there are many people, people that likely aren't there or are just looking for an opportunity that just want to bad mouth the government and get caught up in the information they are consuming from people that are set on creating division.

It's just all a shame from multiple angles.

Glad to hear your getting help

Haywood County is getting help from the military and government. There were quite a few military personnel and vehicles moving in and out of Canton the past few days. Also, regularly saw Blackhawks during the first week after it hit. Most of them had moved out by early this week.

I was in Swannaoa yesterday for work and there was military actively working the area where I was at. Personally, having worked through a couple mountain disasters, I have very little expectation from the government or military in these types of events.

Volunteers, community leaders (both elected and that rise up for the occasion), local insurance agents and local elected officials are who does most of the heavy lifting for individual citizens and families early on, many at great expense to themselves. Once the recovery moves to weeks, months, and years the organizations that you will see will all be non-profits either funneling money to contractors to do the work or organizations doing volunteer work for repairs on houses/ property etc. A LOT of the long term work will be performed by faith-based groups. The very large amounts of government money and efforts will go to businesses, while 95% of affected individuals will get a very small amount. I’ve said it on here before, whether you believe federal governemnt does a good job or a terrible job, they do 100x better in City and municipal disasters than they do in small mountain communities and that’s just how the system is designed. Fortunately, the families that moved to these sparsely populated hills and hollers, 100-200+ years came with little to no expectation of government and it’s still pretty ingrained in a lot of us, so we dig in, dig out, and move forward.

Last edited:
I’ve seen plenty of LMTVs, HETs, HEMMTs and other army transportation vehicles on the roads as well as several different varieties of helicopters overhead since at least the Saturday after the hurricane, so they’re out there working.
But there is one thing I think NC needs to address-there is not a single national guard armory in Madison, Yancey, Mitchell or Avery county. One in either Burnsville or Spruce Pine could have done a lot as far as early response during this emergency.
The mountain counties get screwed over by the state in this regard, but I see no reason that there shouldn’t be an armory somewhere in that area, even if it’s just a detachment from a unit somewhere else.

My guess is an armory serves X number of ppl. or needs X # of Guardsmen in an area
Look at VA and you'll see lots around DC, Richmond and Tidewater, which itself has as many (6) as all of SW Va.

Many years ago Tennessee made it a goal to put one armory in every county. They didn’t quite get there, but this explains why there is a TNARNG armory in fairly remote Mountain City, for instance (it’s a detachment of the Elizabethton unit).
It takes some searching, but CurrentOps has a breakdown of where NCARNG armories are and some are in places with not that much population. A lot of it is political will, but I don’t want to make this a political thread.
My guess is an armory serves X number of ppl. or needs X # of Guardsmen in an area
Look at VA and you'll see lots around DC, Richmond and Tidewater, which itself has as many (6) as all of SW Va.

I’ve seen plenty of LMTVs, HETs, HEMMTs and other army transportation vehicles on the roads as well as several different varieties of helicopters overhead since at least the Saturday after the hurricane, so they’re out there working.
But there is one thing I think NC needs to address-there is not a single national guard armory in Madison, Yancey, Mitchell or Avery county. One in either Burnsville or Spruce Pine could have done a lot as far as early response during this emergency.
The mountain counties get screwed over by the state in this regard, but I see no reason that there shouldn’t be an armory somewhere in that area, even if it’s just a detachment from a unit somewhere else.
Things have definitely changed in terms of how the armories are used. I believe that Watauga County and Ashe County also no longer have armories that are used. I think there's a large one in in Morganton that now is supposed to be serving a lot of these High Country counties now.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Things have definitely changed in terms of how the armories are used. I believe that Watauga County and Ashe County also no longer have armories that are used. I think there's a large one in in Morganton that now is supposed to be serving a lot of these High Country counties now.
We just got a large “regional training center” here about a year ago. Lots of units come here for drill, but I’m not sure if they closed the armories in those towns or not. There are advantages to having such a center, but there are still lots of things that can’t be done there (weapons qualification, for instance). A big disadvantage is that you lose the jobs in those towns if you close the armory and troops may not want to drive so far to drill and so not enlist or reenlist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT