ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Turf in SMC

Fourth'n'Inches

Nov 2, 2003
Parts Unknown
It's time the rest of the SMC catches up to Hayesville and Cherokee and installs turf fields! With all of the game cancellations around WNC tonight I think it's pretty clear that turf is the only way to go. These fields are becoming cheaper so I think it would be doable for most of the other schools nowadays. Also, kudos to Cherokee for stepping up and agreeing to host Pisgah vs. Franklin tonight. Should be a good one over on the Qualla Boundary! Last I heard Swain @ Hayesville is still a go as well. Good luck to all teams, fans and safe travels on those wet highways.

Just from a pure competitive standpoint I think Murphy fans would be all for it. Dogs more years than not have the most speed and quickness in the SMC and could use it even more effectively every night on turf. That's also why I predict its years away for most of the SMC lol !

Reactions: mbdfan
It's time the rest of the SMC catches up to Hayesville and Cherokee and installs turf fields! With all of the game cancellations around WNC tonight I think it's pretty clear that turf is the only way to go. These fields are becoming cheaper so I think it would be doable for most of the other schools nowadays. Also, kudos to Cherokee for stepping up and agreeing to host Pisgah vs. Franklin tonight. Should be a good one over on the Qualla Boundary! Last I heard Swain @ Hayesville is still a go as well. Good luck to all teams, fans and safe travels on those wet highways.
Agreed. The problem with the grass fields is that in addition to varsity football games, you also have JV games, youth league games, and soccer games played on the same field (In the SMC at least). That chews up a grass field pretty badly as the season goes on and when you throw in some rain, it makes the field almost unplayable. Once a grass field gets chewed up like that it doesn't get fixed until the season is over.

Well all right. Just put on your best dress and march on down to the county commissioners to give em yo piece o mind.

Don't forget that they'll have to pay for 2 football fields. Of course, HD will also want a turf baseball field or parking lot or Ray Gutierrez statue, just to be fair. And the Early College will want a turf red carpet to welcome the steady flow of refugees from Syria, I mean Murphy.

Well all right. Just put on your best dress and march on down to the county commissioners to give em yo piece o mind.

Don't forget that they'll have to pay for 2 football fields. Of course, HD will also want a turf baseball field or parking lot or Ray Gutierrez statue, just to be fair. And the Early College will want a turf red carpet to welcome the steady flow of refugees from Syria, I mean Murphy.
:D

lmao

Have you really looked at cost? Last I heard just doing it for the unfield of a baseball field was 10s of thousands of dollars.

The rain this year isn't the normal. Most years only 1 game is moved to a different date.

Have you really looked at cost? Last I heard just doing it for the unfield of a baseball field was 10s of thousands of dollars.

The rain this year isn't the normal. Most years only 1 game is moved to a different date.
Moving a game date isn't the big issue. The issue is the wear and tear on a grass field over the course of the season when that field is being used by youth football, soccer, JV football, and varsity football. By the end of the regular season the field is chopped up (and that's without significant rain) and if you happen to host multiple playoff games (which Murphy does a lot) then the field is almost unplayable by late November/early December. It doesn't help that Murphy's field is located in a low lying area next to a river.

Reactions: Steelers71
Moving a game date isn't the big issue. The issue is the wear and tear on a grass field over the course of the season when that field is being used by youth football, soccer, JV football, and varsity football. By the end of the regular season the field is chopped up (and that's without significant rain) and if you happen to host multiple playoff games (which Murphy does a lot) then the field is almost unplayable by late November/early December. It doesn't help that Murphy's field is located in a low lying area next to a river.

My question is: Is the Turf safe?

I mean there was a segment on the news yesterday talking about possible links to Cancer from the little rubber pellets made from old used tires that is used on Turf fields?....Used several high school soccer goalies who have developed Cancer at a young age as examples that something is awry with artificial turf?

Family that was interviewed said that they weren't willing to let their kids be the ginny-pigs while the research is being conducted to detemine if it was safe or not?....The County replaced the pellets with a different material that had No carcinogens like the rubber pellets have...

I don't know whether to believe there's a problem or not with turf, but I personally perfer a grass/dirt field....

Brevard and Tuscola apparently aren't playing tonight either, and Brevard has a turf surface, so it's not set in stone that teams are still going to play if the weather is bad?

I mean there was a segment on the news yesterday talking about possible links to Cancer from the little rubber pellets made from old used tires that is used on Turf fields?....Used several high school soccer goalies who have developed Cancer at a young age as examples that something is awry with artificial turf?

Family that was interviewed said that they weren't willing to let their kids be the ginny-pigs while the research is being conducted to detemine if it was safe or not?....The County replaced the pellets with a different material that had No carcinogens like the rubber pellets have...

I don't know whether to believe there's a problem or not with turf, but I personally perfer a grass/dirt field....

Brevard and Tuscola apparently aren't playing tonight either, and Brevard has a turf surface, so it's not set in stone that teams are still going to play if the weather is bad?
Wow I didn't know about that! That would definitely be something to look into before installing one of those fields. I prefer grass too but just wish that 1a schools with grass football fields could reserve their football field for JV and varsity teams only. But then where would the youth football league and soccer team play? No win situation. One option would be to use the school baseball field for soccer and youth league. It would save the high school football field lots of wear and tear and the baseball field would have plenty of time to recover before baseball season.

The new field that Rville will build soon will be grass I hope. Then we can use Big Oaks for Jvs. We don't have soccer that I know of so it works out fine. Last night was a great night for football. No rain here.

Field is fine Pigah.

I heard it would be about 6 years before they started on the road, so it might take anywhere from 6 to 10 years. That part is just my guess.

That post deserves a big C'MON MAN!!! Get out of here with that junk Rick. Turf fields causing cancer now I've heard it all!! Also, I seriously doubt Tuscola vs. Brevard being cancelled had anything to do with a wet synthetic field. Unless it was not installed properly and not draining?

That post deserves a big C'MON MAN!!! Get out of here with that junk Rick. Turf fields causing cancer now I've heard it all!! Also, I seriously doubt Tuscola vs. Brevard being cancelled had anything to do with a wet synthetic field. Unless it was not installed properly and not draining?

Brevard cancelled because it was homecoming. (Girls don't like to get the expensive dresses wet!!)

Reactions: gal durnit
It takes a simple search on the internet to see that there are growing concerns about turf fields that use the rubber chips.

It takes a simple search on the internet to see that there are growing concerns about turf fields that use the rubber chips.

You may be exactly right, but I can prove ANYTHING on the Internet. If playing on rubber chips for a couple hours 10 times per year is gonna get us, we're in baaaad trouble! In fact, probably 90% of the time, the players are on their feet, not even touching the turf.

I agree with " C'MON MAN!"

Yeah major universities with unbelievable research places use it ... I think we will be ok .. Haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT