ADVERTISEMENT

Thomasville job open; Gillespie has retired

From Thomasville AD Steve Bare:

I would like to share that Kevin Gillespie, Head Football Coach at Thomasville HS has announced his retirement at the completion of the 2023-2024 school year after coaching for 33 years at the high school level in North Carolina.

Coach Gillespie finishes his four year career at Thomasville HS with a record of 32 wins and 12 losses. Thomasville competed in the third round of the NCHSAA playoffs in three of Coach Gillespie's four seasons leading the Bulldogs.

Coach Gillespie retires with a career record of 172 wins and 110 losses in 23 seasons as a head football coach at four schools (Trinity HS/ Page HS/ Asheboro HS/ Thomasville HS).

During his coaching career, Coach Gillespie led three teams to the State Championship game at Page High School and won the 4AA State Championship in 2011.

Five of Gillespie's teams won conference titles during his tenure at Page HS in Greensboro.

Coach Gillespie served as an assistant coach on the victorious 2014 North Carolina Coaches Association West All Star football staff and on the victorious 2017 North Carolina coaching staff in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas.

None whatsoever. AD has retired. Principal moving on. Superintendent has been in place two weeks. Dysfunctional (at best) board of education. Not a recipe for success.
OC, the wheels are coming off the bus! THS currently has positions open in football (head and several key assistants), mens and womens basketball (HC), volleyball (HC), tennis (HC), winter track (HC), wrestling (head and assistants). Getting a new AD and Principal along with a new unproven board and superintendent makes leaving the best option for many at this point. Several of these positions have been known to be open or coming open since March and nothing has been done to correct it or make a hire (IMO).

Seems like the small town/small district mentality has eroded away the last few years at the central office. Current high school admin team has done wonders with the resources they have in place. THS has 8-10 spots open now and possilby 8-10 more coming on the teaching staff. Too many unknowns for proven coaches and teachers to stay in that environment. So they move on and the student athletes suffer as well as the teams. Not having much to any off season activity in these winning sports will impact the consistent big three winning sports (football, basketball and wrestling) 24-25 and coming years.

Reactions: ITJ
OC, the wheels are coming off the bus! THS currently has positions open in football (head and several key assistants), mens and womens basketball (HC), volleyball (HC), tennis (HC), winter track (HC), wrestling (head and assistants). Getting a new AD and Principal along with a new unproven board and superintendent makes leaving the best option for many at this point. Several of these positions have been known to be open or coming open since March and nothing has been done to correct it or make a hire (IMO).

Seems like the small town/small district mentality has eroded away the last few years at the central office. Current high school admin team has done wonders with the resources they have in place. THS has 8-10 spots open now and possilby 8-10 more coming on the teaching staff. Too many unknowns for proven coaches and teachers to stay in that environment. So they move on and the student athletes suffer as well as the teams. Not having much to any off season activity in these winning sports will impact the consistent big three winning sports (football, basketball and wrestling) 24-25 and coming years.
Well summarized.

Reactions: ITJ
OMG I am disappointed for Thomasville High School and Community. Such a proud and tremendous heritage.
I hope and wish for the best to a once (and hopefully still) great community.

Reactions: sbbbfan
OMG I am disappointed for Thomasville High School and Community. Such a proud and tremendous heritage.
I hope and wish for the best to a once (and hopefully still) great community.
Thanks RE. There are many folks in Thomasville who still hold out hope for the city school system. But the instability in leadership in the last ten years has finally caught up. In that time there have been eleven fulltime or interim superintendents….four since Christmas (6 months).
Add to that the fact that, in the first ever school board election in Thomasville, there were only five candidates for five seats. It’s been well publicized that the chairman of the board has been charged with a felony involving an allegedly stolen check. There is very little confidence in that board, especially by the staff.
So it’s no surprise that folks are leaving in droves. A part of me wishes this information wasn’t public so that we could attract good candidates. But that’s selfish. Anyone filling any of these positions should go into it with open eyes.

Reactions: kingbluedevil

I had no idea there was an open position for the men’s basketball team? To my knowledge there has not been announcement about this yet. Is Coach Ferguson leaving?

I had no idea there was an open position for the men’s basketball team? To my knowledge there has not been announcement about this yet. Is Coach Ferguson leaving?
Many of these have not been officially announced, but common knowledge in the community on most.

Sounds like THS has lost the stability it needs for success. One way to establish that stability is to hire an established football coach that will have control over the biggest athletic program in the school. From what’s being said they may have challenges in doing so unless they can find someone with ties to the program, the school, and the community.

Looks like that’s where they need to look for next HC first.

With no principal and no AD not sure who will do the hiring.
OC, Referring to the post above, I think you just lost that established person in Coach Gillespie.

But I understand reason to leave, no incentive to stay past 30.

OC, Referring to the post above, I think you just lost that established person in Coach Gillespie.

But I understand reason to leave, no incentive to stay past 30.
No doubt about it. Coach Bare, the AD, and coaches Gillespie (football), Ferguson (men’s basketball) and Bowers (wrestling) are all established, accomplished coaches. Not to mention the other head coaches and assistants.
Expecting a superintendent with two weeks on the job to understand the history, tradition and importance of athletics at Thomasville is asking too much. And the school board needs to stay the hell out of it. Just not sure who that leaves.
They also have no understanding or appreciation for how many kids stay in school because of athletics.
Stupid decisions like telling all coaches that they have to get a CDL and drive a bus is a good example of short sighted management.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
No doubt about it. Coach Bare, the AD, and coaches Gillespie (football), Ferguson (men’s basketball) and Bowers (wrestling) are all established, accomplished coaches. Not to mention the other head coaches and assistants.
Expecting a superintendent with two weeks on the job to understand the history, tradition and importance of athletics at Thomasville is asking too much. And the school board needs to stay the hell out of it. Just not sure who that leaves.
They also have no understanding or appreciation for how many kids stay in school because of athletics.
Stupid decisions like telling all coaches that they have to get a CDL and drive a bus is a good example of short sighted management.
I hate to hear this, and the fact that summer ball is right around the corner. It’s going to be difficult to good football program come Fall

If they can't manage it it might be time to merge with Davidson county. Then I guess that would be a consolidation of East Davidson and Thomasville right

If they can't manage it it might be time to merge with Davidson county. Then I guess that would be a consolidation of East Davidson and Thomasville right
No sir. A merger would simply mean that Thomasville City’s four schools would be part of Davidson County Schools. If there was a redistricting (which is politically impossible) many of the East and Ledford kids would attend Thomasville. Especially the ones who live in Thomasville’s city limits and should be going there anyway.

No sir. A merger would simply mean that Thomasville City’s four schools would be part of Davidson County Schools. If there was a redistricting (which is politically impossible) many of the East and Ledford kids would attend Thomasville. Especially the ones who live in Thomasville’s city limits and should be going there anyway.
OC, in your opinion what’s the best case scenario for the bulldogs at this point?

OC, in your opinion what’s the best case scenario for the bulldogs at this point?
It may sound strange, but I believe the hiring of the right principal and AD is critical. The AD especially needs to have some tie to Thomasville. Then focus on hiring the right teachers/coaches. Those decisions need to be for the long haul.
It may be tempting to start with a football coach. Even though it may hurt in the short term, the principal and AD should hire a team, not inherit one.
All of that needs to start with the new superintendent. He has a chance to hit a home run. The school board needs to stay out of the way and support his selections. Anything else will be a disaster. Even then it’s a long shot.
Lastly, only proven head coaches should be hired for football, basketball and wrestling. Hire the best person regardless of age, gender or ethnicity.

Reactions: RedBulldogs1988
It may sound strange, but I believe the hiring of the right principal and AD is critical. The AD especially needs to have some tie to Thomasville. Then focus on hiring the right teachers/coaches. Those decisions need to be for the long haul.
It may be tempting to start with a football coach. Even though it may hurt in the short term, the principal and AD should hire a team, not inherit one.
All of that needs to start with the new superintendent. He has a chance to hit a home run. The school board needs to stay out of the way and support his selections. Anything else will be a disaster. Even then it’s a long shot.
Lastly, only proven head coaches should be hired for football, basketball and wrestling. Hire the best person regardless of age, gender or ethnicity.
I wonder if a certain coach at Salisbury HS would be willing to return to coach his Alma mater?

Reactions: chair_city_champs
I wonder if a certain coach at Salisbury would be willing to return to coach his Alma mater
Not the first time I’ve heard that speculation. Prior to his current stint, I didn’t feel he was ready. But I think he’s shown he has what it takes. I have no idea if he’d be interested but he has a pretty good gig now.

Not the first time I’ve heard that speculation. Prior to his current stint, I didn’t feel he was ready. But I think he’s shown he has what it takes. I have no idea if he’d be interested but he has a pretty good gig now.
Do you have anyone in particular that you like to see lead the Bulldogs?

OC, new superintendent may hit a home run and I certainly hope he does, but coming from WSFCS I’m not sure there is ever an emphasis on sports. They barely have middle school sports. This season they are getting MS football, coed 7 on 7 flag.

OC, new superintendent may hit a home run and I certainly hope he does, but coming from WSFCS I’m not sure there is ever an emphasis on sports. They barely have middle school sports. This season they are getting MS football, coed 7 on 7 flag.
Good point.

wow its impressive that forsyth county is so good in HS football

I wonder if a certain coach at Salisbury HS would be willing to return to coach his Alma mater?
as much as i would love to see this happen, I highly doubt it! He seems to be in a much better situation currently. I could be completely wrong but i feel that at this point getting someone with strong ties to the program is going to be hard considering so many of them have tried to come back in the past and was passed over but that's just my opinion amd like i said i could be completely wrong

as much as i would love to see this happen, I highly doubt it! He seems to be in a much better situation currently. I could be completely wrong but i feel that at this point getting someone with strong ties to the program is going to be hard considering so many of them have tried to come back in the past and was passed over but that's just my opinion amd like i said i could be completely wrong
I may be missing somebody but I can’t recall any past candidates with Thomasville ties who had proven head coaching experience. This has not been a job for an assistant.

This is really late in the process for Thomasville to have to replace a principal, AD, and HFC. I really feel for the students at the school who may have minimal workouts this summer as a result of the turnover. While it may be tough to deal with in the present, this may be a great thing for Thomasville long term if they are able to find people that understand the community for those three positions. They may have to expand their search and modify their criteria. Change may be good or it may be bad. The reality is Thomasville has to change now because of the turnover.

I wonder, though, if there are 5 seats on the BOE and only 5 people "ran" it makes one wonder the level of investment the community has for the school system. Surely there are people in the community that would be good for the system as board members. Why aren't they running for a seat?

I may be missing somebody but I can’t recall any past candidates with Thomasville ties who had proven head coaching experience. This has not been a job for an assistant.
I would beg to differ. There was one assistant that they let walk that I and plenty others believe would have worked wonders and we may not be sitting with as many head coaches as we have had since. I'm even almost 99% sure that they went on to try to get him to come after they had turned him down but by then it was too late because he was already enjoying his time as a college coach.

I would beg to differ. There was one assistant that they let walk that I and plenty others believe would have worked wonders and we may not be sitting with as many head coaches as we have had since. I'm even almost 99% sure that they went on to try to get him to come after they had turned him down but by then it was too late because he was already enjoying his time as a college coach.
Bring back Benji Brown. Wait isn't Dickie Cline on that staff. He has plenty of head coaching experience.

Reactions: reddawg01
Bring back Benji Brown. Wait isn't Dickie Cline on that staff. He has plenty of head coaching experience.
We may need Benji at this point lol! Apparently Benji applied last time is what i was told but that ship has probably sailed now as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT