ADVERTISEMENT

The Statewide 1A Conference Report(Week #2)!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
One thing about early season contest is that there will always be a lot of the smaller 1A schools playing against larger class schools to see where they stand, and to reveal some possible weaknesses on their team that need to be corrected before Conference play begins... Some 1A Schools also schedule their County Rivals who may be a larger school to create a big gate for both teams that help fund the atheletic budget for both schools....These contest always seem to have mixed results from year to year, and this year is No exception as 4 of last week's top 10 1A schools lost to bigger class schools, so expect a major shakeup in this week's statewide polls.....

Western 1A Conference Breakdown
------------------------------------------------
SMC
-------
The biggest shakeup in next week's poll will likely begin at the top of the Poll as Murphy's 15 game unbeaten streak came to an abrupt end at "The Pit" in Franklin as the unbeaten Panthers(2-0) beat the Bulldogs(28-21) for the 14th time in the last 16 meetings, and handed the Bulldogs(1-1) their first loss of the season.....In other SMC action, Cherokee made the long trip to Mississippi, and came home with a very impressive(49-31) win over their Nation Rivals from the Choctaw Reservation to improve to 2-0 on the season.....Robbinsville(1-0) after having the week off last week opened the season in impressive fashion at Big Oaks Stadium as the Black Knights shutout(61-0) the North Georgia Charter school...Meanwhile, Swain County(1-1) evened their record on the season at the expense of their non-conference rivals from Sylva as the Maroondevils handed the 2A Mustangs(1-1) their first defeat(35-16)..Hayesville(1-1) also broke into the win Column as they shutout(13-0) Copper Basin Tenn in their home opener....Both Andrews(0-2) and Rosman(0-2) remained winless on the season as Tellico Plains Tenn beat(30-21) the Wildcats, while the Tigers lost(27-12) at County foe Brevard(1-1)....

NWC
---------
The 4th ranked Granite Bears(2-0) remain unbeaten after an impressive(35-20) win over 2A West Stokes(1-1)....East Surry bounced back from their opening season defeat to East Wilkes as the Cardinals(1-1) blasted(39-20) Starmount(0-2) in Pilot Mountain....Meanwhile, the other 4 members of the NWC remain winless on the season as Bishop McGuinness(0-2) lost(34-2) to unbeaten 2A Trinity(2-0), South Stokes(0-2) lost(28-14) to 2A North Wilkes(2-0), North Stokes(0-2) was hammered(47-7) at home by North Moore(1-1) and Winston Salem Prep(0-1) opened the season with a lopsided loss(55-20) to 3A Parkland(1-1)......

SPC
------
7th ranked Mountain Island Charter(1-1) was ambushed(49-18), by unbeaten 2A Cramer(2-0) ..Meanwhile, Bessemer City(2-0) remained unbeaten with a shutout(22-0) on the road at 3A East Gaston....Thomas Jefferson(2-0) also remained unblemished with a win(47-12) over the Greenwood S.C. Raptors....And yes, the Highland Tech Rams(2-0) also won their 2nd straight game as they shutout(42-0) the Commonweath Charter School...The Union Academy(1-1) lost at home(47-27) to the Metrolina Christian School....Cherryville picked up their first win(22-19) of the season as the Ironmen(1-1) edged 2A Chase(0-2) on the road last friday....The Community School of Davidson(1-0) was Idle....

YVC
------
In the YVC, 5th ranked North Rowan(1-1) lost(27-11) to West Rowan(1-1)....West Montgomery(2-0) who is ranked 6th notched an impressive 47-21 victory over 2A Thomasville(0-2)..North Stanly(2-0) blasted(51-0) 2A Central Academy(0-2) ...Meanwhile, Albemarle's unbeaten season ended asl 2A West Stanly beat(27-11) the Bulldogs(1-1)..Both North Moore(1-1) and Chatham Central(1-1) picked up their first wins of the season last friday as the Mustangs beat North Stokes 47-7, while the Bears outlasted(20-14) Hobbton...South Stanly(0-2) was edged(14-13) by former YVC rival 2A East Montgomery(2-0) ..South Davidson(0-2) bounced back from a Forfeit in their opener, but lost on the field last friday night(24-0) to their 2A rivals from West Davidson(1-1)...

1A/2A WHC
----------------
Both 2A Mountain Heritage(2-0) and 1A Mitchell County(2-0) remain unbeaten and atop the standings as the Cougars smashed(52-14) the 3A Erwin Warriors(0-2)... 1A Mitchell County beat the Warriors last week, and then beat the Cannon School(1-1) last friday night(27-14) ... 1A Polk County(1-0) was Idle last friday night...Meanwhile, 1A Avery County(1-1) was treated rudely down in Marion last friday, losing to 4A McDowell 43-6.. 2A .Madison County(1-1) beat(42-20) 3A nearby Rival North Buncombe , while 2A Owen(0-1) was Idle last week....

1A/2A MVC
--------------
4 teams remain unbeaten in the MVC, and two of those are 1A schools as East Wilkes(2-0) annihilated(52-14) 2A Surry Central(0-2) on the road..Surprising Alleghany(2-0), beat(20-14) Grayson Co. Va....2A North Wilkes(2-0) beat(28-14) 1A South Stokes(0-2) on the road....2A West Wilkes(1-0) was Idle last friday....2A Wilkes Central(1-1) fell at home(28-6) to unbeaten 3A Alexander Central(2-0)....Both 1A Starmount(0-2) and 2A Ashe County(0-2) remain winless on the season as the Rams lost to East Surry, while the Huskies lost(53-21) at home to unbeaten 3A Watauga(2-0)...

Eastern 1A Conference Breakdown
-----------------------------------------------
CPC
-------
2nd ranked Tarboro(2-0) shutout(48-0) 2A Washington(0-2) on the road last friday...Meanwhile, Southside(2-0) continues to impress as the Seahawks beat 2A Dixon(48-24) at Holly Ridge...Northside-Pinetown(1-1) suffered their first loss(28-12) to North Duplin(2-0), and Pamlico(1-1) also loss their first game(34-26) at home to 2A Ayden-Grifton(1-1)....Riverside-Martin(1-1) broke into the win column on the road with a big win(28-13) over Plymouth(0-2)...South Creek(1-1) also won their first game of the season, beating(35-8) Perquimans(0-2) on the road....Jones Senior(0-2) remained winless after losing(49-6) at 2A South Lenior(1-1)...

Carolina
-------------
Princeton(2-0) continued their impressive start with a big win(41-21) over 2A Midway(1-1)....Meanwhile, Lakewood(2-0) and North Duplin(2-0) also remained unbeaten as the Leopards shutout(44-0) Rocky Mt Prep, while the Rebels beat(28-12) Northside-PT...Both Union(1-1) and Rosewood(1-1) picked up their first victories of the season as the Spartans beat (32-6) South Robeson(0-1) in Rowland, while the Eagles edged(28-25) 2A North Johnston(1-1)....Hobbton(0-2) remained winless after losing to Chatham Central 20-14 in a close game at home...

Albemarle Atheletic
--------------------------
3rd ranked Edenton Holmes(2-0) smashed the Central Virginia Disciples(56-8), and will likely move up in the polls just behind Tarboro...Manteo(2-0) also is unbeaten with a shutout(49-0) of Mattamuskeet(0-2)...Gates County(1-1) picked up their first win in front of the home folk, beating(42-28) 2A J.F.Webb(0-2)...Camden County(1-1) lost(46-21) at 2A Currituck(1-1)....Both Perquimans(0-2) and Plymouth(0-2) have yet to win on the season, and this may be the first time in several years that Plymouth has started the season with 2 losses to 1A teams, no less...

Tar-Roanoke
------------------
Northampton(1-1) was the only conference member from the TRAC to record a win last week as the Jaguars stunned(16-14) previously unbeaten 2A Bertie County(1-1)..Rocky Mt Prep(1-1) lost at Lakewood, North Edgecome(0-2) lost(36-8) at rival 2A SW Edgecombe(2-0), SE Halifax(0-2) lost(38-7) at unbeaten 2A Roanoke Rapids(2-0), Weldon(0-2) lost at Greensville Co Va.(59-12), NW Halifax(0-2) lost(47-20) to 2A Pasquotank(1-1) and Kipp Pride(0-2) lost(45-14) at unbeaten 2A Warren County(2-0)....

Atlantic-6
-------------
Somebody wake up Bear Grass Charter(2-0), and tell them this isn't suppose to be that easy when you start a football program from scratch as the Bears beat(42-6) conference foe Creswell(0-2) for their 2nd straight impressive win to start the season....In other A-6 Action, Mattamuskeet(0-2) remained winless after getting shutout at Manteo....Both Columbia(0-1) and Cape Hatteras(0-0) remain winless as both were Idle last friday...

Three Rivers 1A/2A
------------------
South Robeson(0-1) opened the season last friday, and suffered a home loss(32-6) to Union(1-1), while West Columbus(0-2) was shutout(48-0) by 2A Heide Trask(1-1)....East Columbus(0-1) was Idle last friday....Meanwhile, it's going to be a dogfight for the Conference title for the remaining 7 2A members from the TRC as Whiteville(2-0) edged(29-28) 3A West Brunswick(0-2) and Red Springs(2-0) who beat(27-14) 2A Southern Vance currently sit atop the TRC, while West Bladen(1-0) won(39-36) at 3A South Brunswick and South Columbus(1-0) opened the season with a shutout(34-0) at home o 3A Douglas Byrd....Fairmont(1-0)was Idle..Saint Pauls(1-1) picked-up their first win of the season over 3A Union Pines(48-39)...Let the fun begin..

Coastal-Eight 1A/2A
---------------------------
10th ranked East Carteret(1-1) lost(37-21) to County rival 3A West Carteret(2-0), while fellow 1A conference foes Pender County(0-2) and Lejeune(0-2) remained winless after lopsided losses to unbeatens 3A Topsail(34-6) and 2A Spring Creek(48-0), so this conference is the Mariners to lose IMO, but they will still have to beat 2A Croatan(0-1),Richlands(1-1) and SW Onslow(0-2) in order to claim the outright conference title..

Northern Carolina 1A/2A
--------------------------------
1A Granville Central(1-0) opened the season with a thrilling 7-6 road win at 2A Bartlett Yancey(0-2), while Louisburg(1-1) suffered their first defeat of the season losing at home to the Wake Saints 14-8....2A South Granville may be the team to beat in this conference after a stunning(21-7) win on the road last friday at 3A South Johnston(1-1), but 2A unbeaten conference foes Roanoke Rapids(2-0) and 2A Warren County(2-0) along with 2A Bunn(1-1) will likely challenge for top honors..

As always, comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Great job as always Tigertown_a_Rick! I know the Tigers came up a bit short against Brevard but it sounds like the program is going in the right direction! Just one small edit for the SPC roundup....Pine Lake Prep fell to 1-1 on the season with a 22-6 loss to 2A Lake Norman Charter. Still looks like it will be a three way battle between Mountain Island, Bessemer City and Thomas Jefferson for the SPC title this year.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Great job as always Tigertown_a_Rick! I know the Tigers came up a bit short against Brevard but it sounds like the program is going in the right direction! Just one small edit for the SPC roundup....Pine Lake Prep fell to 1-1 on the season with a 22-6 loss to 2A Lake Norman Charter. Still looks like it will be a three way battle between Mountain Island, Bessemer City and Thomas Jefferson for the SPC title this year.

Thanks for the edit, and the words of encouragement for the Tigers....I exceeded the number of characters in the original post, and had to edit quite a bit of it myself before posting....I had the Pine Lake Prep segment in the original post, but must have deleted it by mistake, so thanks again for the correction....I do agree that it appears that MICS, TJCA and BC seem to be the top 3 in the SPC, but CSOD could be the wildcard since they are also unbeaten after being Idle this week after beating a decent North Moore team on the road in the opener...One thing is for sure, it's going to be an interesting season in the SPC....Also agree that Rosman is moving in the right direction, and liked the adjustments made at halftime last night by Coach Stack with the Tigers trailing 27-0....They did close the gap to the final 27-12, but gave up too many big plays to the Brevard QB and his WRs in the first half to really have a chance to win....Hopefully, the secondary will continue to improve before conference play begins in a few weeks, but they have a couple of very tough opponents before then as Madison County is much improved this year, and Mountain Heritage may have their best team since playing in the state 2A Final in 2009..I watched their game against Erwin last Thursday night on My40, and the QB Robinson is just a nightmare to try and corral...Of, course, he's a 4 year starter at that position, but his supporting cast are really good players as well....Don't think that they are quite as big up front as they were in 2009, and they don't have a 3,000yd rusher in the backfield like Randolph was back then, but they are much stronger, and more experienced at the QB position which gives them a decided edge over most if not all the teams on their schedule...Would be surprised if they lost during the regular season, which means the Western Regional may run through Burnsville this year as it did back in 2009....Don't think they have the speed to match a juggernaut like Shelby, but weather could be tricky, and could be an equalizer in that part of the world if Shelby had to travel to Burnsville in late November....It will be interesting to follow the Cougars this year to see just how far Robinson can carry his team...He and most of his teammates have played together since youth football is what they said on TV the other night, and that type of bond can carry a team further than one might expect?..Tigers travel to Madison this friday before entertaining the Cougars the following week....This team will surely be tested before conference play begins at Andrews in a few weeks....Just hoping that they make it to conference play without any more injuries?

Again, thanks for correcting my oversight in the SPC!

I love how you said "surprising" alleghany. Just like u said last week score says 52 to 0 but may have only been 12 to 0. Thanks for all the credit. My Trojans will hopefully keep surprising you. Really though beating north stokes and grayson county shouldnt be surprising...its not like they are known powerhouses.

Last edited:
Good work, as always Rick! Just a small nit picking correction - Parkland has dropped from 4A to 3A this go around and is in the Piedmont Triad Conference. W-S Prep faces another brutal test next week when they take on 4A RJ Reynolds who is off to a 2-0 start. It is tough when you are a 1A or 2A school and surrounded by so many much bigger brothers in Forsyth County! I guess the county school administrators want to see these in county match ups. I don't care for it really. 2A Carver got hammered by 60+ points against a powerful 4A West Forsyth on Friday and had a running clock for the second half. Just have to hope these smaller schools can stay healthy and positive until they get to conference play!

I love how you said "surprising" alleghany. Just like u said last week score says 52 to 0 but may have only been 12 to 0. Thanks for all the credit. My Trojans will hopefully keep surprising you. Really though beating north stokes and grayson county shouldnt be surprising...its not like they are known powerhouses.

A lot of times if I find conflicting scores, and unknowns since I don't have the time to find all the answers....I will try to find out from someone that was actually at the game by reading a post about the game, or hope someone knows someone who was at the game, and is a reliable resource, and that was the case last week when the Trojans and Vikings played...NCPrep had the right score while CarolinaPrep had a different result....I try to verify what is the actual score when putting things together and if that is an uncertainty as was the case last week?...I will ask for a fans' help in determining the correct answer, and I of course always appreciate the truth as we all do....No slight meant toward your Trojans at all when I said "surprising"....Afterall, the new coaching staff had to put things together pretty quickly, and I think even your own fans were a little apprehensive about what was going to happen with the football program in the beginning?....Glad the program appears to be heading in the right direction, and wish nothing but the best for all 1A schools who need every healthy body to stay competitive....Good luck to your Trojans this season!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Granville Central and Louisburg are in the Northern Carolina Conference.

Thanks RD28327....I've edited the original post...Hopefully, someone can let me know the name of the other split-class conference that East Carteret plays in?

Once again, appreciate the correct info as always!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Good work, as always Rick! Just a small nit picking correction - Parkland has dropped from 4A to 3A this go around and is in the Piedmont Triad Conference. W-S Prep faces another brutal test next week when they take on 4A RJ Reynolds who is off to a 2-0 start. It is tough when you are a 1A or 2A school and surrounded by so many much bigger brothers in Forsyth County! I guess the county school administrators want to see these in county match ups. I don't care for it really. 2A Carver got hammered by 60+ points against a powerful 4A West Forsyth on Friday and had a running clock for the second half. Just have to hope these smaller schools can stay healthy and positive until they get to conference play!

Thanks fitguync30, I've edited the original post....Have to agree that it makes NO sense at all for WS-Prep to face all those bigger Forsyth County foes on the gridiron...Understand why they do it during basketball season because they can compete against those schools since numbers are not the issue that it is in football, and the Phoenix generally have as much, or equal talent as a lot of those schools on the basketball court....One thing is for sure, they will be tested, and forged by fire when the NWC season begins, but it might take a little while to get going because playing a tougher schedule against bigger opponents with more players, can and usually does take a toll on your roster....

Reactions: fitguync30
Thanks fitguync30, I've edited the original post....Have to agree that it makes NO sense at all for WS-Prep to face all those bigger Forsyth County foes on the gridiron...Understand why they do it during basketball season because they can compete against those schools since numbers are not the issue that it is in football, and the Phoenix generally have as much, or equal talent as a lot of those schools on the basketball court....One thing is for sure, they will be tested, and forged by fire when the NWC season begins, but it might take a little while to get going because playing a tougher schedule against bigger opponents with more players, can and usually does take a toll on your roster....

They play it for a check. Plain and simple. Just like WCU playing Alabama. Check just not as big.

Rick, good job on the SMC report. I think the Tigers tough out of conference schedule will pay off somehow in the SMC.

A lot of times if I find conflicting scores, and unknowns since I don't have the time to find all the answers....I will try to find out from someone that was actually at the game by reading a post about the game, or hope someone knows someone who was at the game, and is a reliable resource, and that was the case last week when the Trojans and Vikings played...NCPrep had the right score while CarolinaPrep had a different result....I try to verify what is the actual score when putting things together and if that is an uncertainty as was the case last week?...I will ask for a fans' help in determining the correct answer, and I of course always appreciate the truth as we all do....No slight meant toward your Trojans at all when I said "surprising"....Afterall, the new coaching staff had to put things together pretty quickly, and I think even your own fans were a little apprehensive about what was going to happen with the football program in the beginning?....Glad the program appears to be heading in the right direction, and wish nothing but the best for all 1A schools who need every healthy body to stay competitive....Good luck to your Trojans this season!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Its all good tigertown, whats helping my trojans is they have 13 seniors. Hoping they can win or be competitive the next 4 games...but im dreading the month of october when we play the 4 wilkes county schools in a row, all whichseem to be good this season. Great write up as always...i always enjoy reading your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT