ADVERTISEMENT

The loss of quality NC coaches continues

The supplements are also factored into those averages so of course when you have thousands in Wake and Meck getting almost 20% it will make the average look higher. The cost of living is also much more in those areas.

Reactions: sammyk and btango
Ask some of the mountain counties and far eastern counties about that "local supplement." Not everyone county offers one, or offers very little and it shouldn't be used to calculate average.

See you got you're retirement and you don't care that new teachers won't reap the luxury you got, and I'm sure you don't understand how damaging that is to recruiting new teachers.
It isn't so good for new prison guards and state troopers either but so what if they're pulling double shifts. I never cared because the governor and the legislature always played us off against each other and I knew it was all part of the game. It hasn't changed and it won't, i.e.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article273660775.html

Oh look, state employees' gas, electricity and groceries apparently cost less than teachers do.

Reactions: beamer24
Alot of non budget items in this "budget".The Senate will strip much of it down would be my guess.

A few highlights
-making it easier for parents to challenge materials and requiring teachers to post lesson plans.
-Takes power of State Board of Education to deny charters while creating a board just for charters
-Addition of $56 million worth of vouchers

Still digging through. Lots to unpack. I choose to stay informed. I wish so many others would do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
With quality coaches stepping down all over the state what affect will this have moving on. I remember going to the winter clinic and seeing the Ron Greens, Dickie Clines, Bob Paroili, Dee Bell, BW Holts, Tommy Norwood, Bruce Hardin, Bill Eckles, Tommy Knotts, Chris Norman, ect and now as an elder coach I do not see guys like that anymore and the ones that are close are leaving the state/profession in droves. Now you are losing Coach Snow and Coach Newsome What will be the fallout if quality coaches keep leaving.
Which county has the highest volume?

Good question. I think it would need to be looked at in context because Meck and Wake will lost the most as they have the most but Wake coaches are less likely to be lured out of state due to the geographical location. Meck County is on the state line.

Also, are the coaches retiring at a plateau or or leaving early, such as before 20.

Something many do not know is Dave Gutshall left NC and his successful Burlington Cummings program to take the job at Spartanburg Dorman. He had 19 years in NC but the pay was a huge amount more plus a much better schedule during the day.

In NC a coach may teach three classes and have a free period. In some schools it may be a better setup. Some places they may be the PE and/or S&C coach. Some schools have a football class in the gym the coach handles. There is often more to it than pay and that is where NC seems to also lag.

I started out at what was called "the hiring rate" which is 5% below the rate posted for the position. I received step raises every 6 months for the first two years. I never got a step raise afterward. Got salary adjustments a couple of times that I can recall. Everything else was a COLA and or bonus. So yeah, I went 26 1/2 years without a "pay raise" as you call it. There were years when state employees got ZIP and teachers still got a COLA so you'll get no sympathy from me for your histrionics. I also didn't get a county supplement to my state pay which is the dirty little secret that teachers don't like to acknowledge when teacher pay averages are mentioned in the media.

The retirement system only changed for new hires two years ago. Those already in the system will have the exact same retirement plan and insurance that I have. I

Char Meck has a ton but you do have high end coaches that leave Winston and Greensboro

Good question. I think it would need to be looked at in context because Meck and Wake will lost the most as they have the most but Wake coaches are less likely to be lured out of state due to the geographical location. Meck County is on the state line.

Also, are the coaches retiring at a plateau or or leaving early, such as before 20.

Something many do not know is Dave Gutshall left NC and his successful Burlington Cummings program to take the job at Spartanburg Dorman. He had 19 years in NC but the pay was a huge amount more plus a much better schedule during the day.

In NC a coach may teach three classes and have a free period. In some schools it may be a better setup. Some places they may be the PE and/or S&C coach. Some schools have a football class in the gym the coach handles. There is often more to it than pay and that is where NC seems to also lag.
Char Meck has a ton but you do have high end coaches that leave Winston and Greensboro
According to a friend of mine who worked in the Mecklenburg region for 10 years and is now a resident of Columbia, SC, people in the Mecklenburg will make up their own rules, bylaws, regulations and defying the law until they are caught. Those same people have driven great leaders away.

This might account for the significant loss of coaches.

• Haha
Reactions: MagisterO
According to a friend of mine who worked in the Mecklenburg region for 10 years and is now a resident of Columbia, SC, people in the Mecklenburg will make up their own rules, bylaws, regulations and defying the law until they are caught. Those same people have driven great leaders away.

This might account for the significant loss of coaches.
What type of things are you specifically referencing?

What type of things are you specifically referencing?
Nothing is being referenced. I'm giving information based on an account from a reliable source who had firsthand knowledge of this kind.

Nothing is being referenced. I'm giving information based on an account from a reliable source who had firsthand knowledge of this kind.
That is what I am asking. What kind of things were being done illegal?

That is what I am asking. What kind of things were being done illegal?
I also posed the same query. He claimed that there were so many laws that were willfully broken, disregarded, and resisted that he, as a county employee, was too disgusted to even discuss the issues in depth. Eventually, he accepted a wage cut and moved, fearing accusations of malfeasance.

I also posed the same query. He claimed that there were so many laws that were willfully broken, disregarded, and resisted that he, as a county employee, was too disgusted to even discuss the issues in depth. Eventually, he accepted a wage cut and moved, fearing accusations of malfeasance.
I would really like to hear some of those stories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT