ADVERTISEMENT

The loss of quality NC coaches continues

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
With quality coaches stepping down all over the state what affect will this have moving on. I remember going to the winter clinic and seeing the Ron Greens, Dickie Clines, Bob Paroili, Dee Bell, BW Holts, Tommy Norwood, Bruce Hardin, Bill Eckles, Tommy Knotts, Chris Norman, ect and now as an elder coach I do not see guys like that anymore and the ones that are close are leaving the state/profession in droves. Now you are losing Coach Snow and Coach Newsome What will be the fallout if quality coaches keep leaving.

You named some great ones. I would like to add Bob Lewis, Yogi Hickman, Gary Fowler, Frank Jernigan, to name a few.

You named some great ones. I would like to add Bob Lewis, Yogi Hickman, Gary Fowler, Frank Jernigan, to name a few.
Please do. I am lucky I have coached in several counties and areas in this state and have met some great great coaches.

Reactions: MagisterO
Elections have consequences. Direct byproduct of the NCGA anti public education policies and school districts not wanting to compensate coaches properly.

Reactions: sammyk
I would add it doesn’t help that neighboring state of SC pays teachers and especially coaches much more than they can make in NC. At least in areas of SC.

I would add it doesn’t help that neighboring state of SC pays teachers and especially coaches much more than they can make in NC. At least in areas of SC.

On average teacher pay isn't much better in SC, but it seems coaches pay is. NC also has one of the top economies in the nation. South Carolina is about midpack. NC should be one of the most attractive states to work for in the nation but our NCGA has chosen war against public schools instead.

On average teacher pay isn't much better in SC, but it seems coaches pay is. NC also has one of the top economies in the nation. South Carolina is about midpack. NC should be one of the most attractive states to work for in the nation but our NCGA has chosen war against public schools instead.
Hurts when your pay as a public school teacher freezes after what 20 or 25 years?
Never understood that. NCGA does not care about public education at all, yet the same people are voted in over and over.

Hurts when your pay as a public school teacher freezes after what 20 or 25 years?
Never understood that. NCGA does not care about public education at all, yet the same people are voted in over and over.
Because people don't care about education and the politicians they keep voting for over and over have filled their voters heads full of non sense about boogeyman coming to get everyone. Especially related to education. In turn these people that keep getting elected collect thousands of dollars from for profit companies that run these charter schools.

It isn't about school choice. It's about money.

One coach I know of at South Iredell is Coach Bill Mayhew. Started around 1963 at Troutman high. Then started coaching at South Iredell in ‘66 I believe. He has been their wrestling coach from the beginning up until now. Never losing season in wrestling to my understanding. Also was part of 1986 3A State Championship in wrestling. He was their head football coach for long time and was part of 2AA State Championship in football 2012 as an assistant coach. Not sure when he retired as football coach but still hanging in as a wrestling coach. Also add that he had over 900 wins in wrestling last season of 2022. You don’t find many like that.

Last edited:
I don't know how many years back you are going but I have a family member fresh out of college a few years ago got offers from a NC and SC schools and the starting salary was 13k more in SC. Easy choice for her because the drive was about the same.

I don't know how many years back you are going but I have a family member fresh out of college a few years ago got offers from a NC and SC schools and the starting salary was 13k more in SC. Easy choice for her because the drive was about the same.

2021. It actually looks like NC was a bit higher actually. It all depends on the district. Idk how South Carolina averages are calculated but NC factors in local supplements that vary from 0% in mountain counties to almost 20% in Mecklenburg. Also they use masters and doctorate pay which people can no longer qualify. Averages are really misleading.

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
I assume you realize the biggest salary increase for NC public school teachers came in the 1989-1991 state budget. 6 1/2 % across the board for all teachers each year of the biennial budget!! And the chairman of the NC House Appropriations Committee was a head high school football coach. The only time in the last 40 plus years the chairmanship was held by one legislator!

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
The one of the 55 chairman now is a teacher. Jeffrey Elmore of Wilkes County. How can he go into work as a teacher and face the same people he is fighting against?

It is interesting there are so many chairs

Exaggeration. There are 3 senior chairs, 7 chairs, 19 vice chairs. So 29 in reality.
What are they chairing and how much money do they make? Sounds like WSFCS, keep adding central office people and no help for classroom teachers. Screwed up transportation system and they just hired an $80,000 dollar a year director with hospitality experience.

With quality coaches stepping down all over the state what affect will this have moving on. I remember going to the winter clinic and seeing the Ron Greens, Dickie Clines, Bob Paroili, Dee Bell, BW Holts, Tommy Norwood, Bruce Hardin, Bill Eckles, Tommy Knotts, Chris Norman, ect and now as an elder coach I do not see guys like that anymore and the ones that are close are leaving the state/profession in droves. Now you are losing Coach Snow and Coach Newsome What will be the fallout if quality coaches keep leaving.
It’s like the cycle of life. Out with the old coaches and in with the new coaches. Just like that elite group you highlighted, they were once new coaches and unknown.

Can’t coach forever!

What are they chairing and how much money do they make? Sounds like WSFCS, keep adding central office people and no help for classroom teachers. Screwed up transportation system and they just hired an $80,000 dollar a year director with hospitality experience.

Sounds similar to colleges and universities, top heavy high paid administrators(that eat up overpriced tuition) with struggling professors and students. Administration and admin pay in both are too fat.

Reactions: OptionFreak
Why even stay past 15? Terrible.
At about the 18-20 years, you start thinking about years invested toward the magic number of 30. That is also their thinking, they will either leave or stay on for no increase in pay to get to 30 Years. Most don’t retire from working after 30, usually in your early 50’s, but the biggy is the health insurance is paid till you reach 65. ( I am sure someone on here can tell us approximately what individual health insurance is for a 52-65 year old) Move on to another state or join the private sector.
But all that is changing, the way they have screwed with health insurance and retirement benefits for new hires In the last 5 years, along with eliminating tenure.

Sorry, off my soapbox.

At about the 18-20 years, you start thinking about years invested toward the magic number of 30. That is also their thinking, they will either leave or stay on for no increase in pay to get to 30 Years. Most don’t retire from working after 30, usually in your early 50’s, but the biggy is the health insurance is paid till you reach 65. ( I am sure someone on here can tell us approximately what individual health insurance is for a 52-65 year old) Move on to another state or join the private sector.
But all that is changing, the way they have screwed with health insurance and retirement benefits for new hires In the last 5 years, along with eliminating tenure.

Sorry, off my soapbox.
Exactly. Once you hit 20 years it becomes much harder to stay because of the lack of any raise at all for 10 years. Combine that with increased responsibilities post Covid quarantine, and student behavior is leading many to exit early. Many coaches I know are just trying to get to 30 so they can leave and double dip in SC. Depending on where you go, there is a massive pay difference in SC. And for budget concerns in most counties you get paid every 2 weeks instead of 10 checks per year. Try budgeting on 10 checks per year, it ain't fun.

Fortunately for Butler they only had three since 1997. Shuford, Newsome and currently Halles. Stability at head coach is underrated but it’s a shame NC can’t keep their coaches.

Reactions: btango
That’s the legislative plan. Hire them young, pay them minimally, and run them off before their pension gets too expensive. Believe me, there’s always a not so hidden agenda.

The thing is, they aren't hiding anything they are doing. The sad thing is, too many people can't see through the smoke screen they're blowing.

Reactions: btango
Mike Brodowicz gone too. Quite the list of coaches retiring thus year. Teague as well.

Reactions: sammyk
Tonight I witnessed what HS coaches are all about. Now over the years I have seen many coaches reach in their pockets to buy a kid is a meal that didn’t have the money when they stop to eat. Tonight, a softball coach paid for every kid, about 14, on the teams meal at Chick-Fil-A. Now this team is not very talented, might have won one game prior to tonight. But she won tonight and she was happy. Now I am also not talking about a school with plenty of money either. She gave the girls option on where to eat and they chose chik-fil-a. Coach had to drop at least $100 there tonight. Do not know her financial situation, but I do know what teaching and coaching salaries are, and they are not enough to drop $100 on meals. But those kids had a blast celebrating their victory and the Coach demonstrated what coaching is all about!

Awesome Sportsnut! Thanks for sharing. The country is filled with thousands upon thousands of great educators and coaches that do more than people will ever care to understand.

But yeah go ahead and believe some nonsensical bs about schools.

The loss of good coaches corresponds to the sad state of the teaching profession and the sadder state of the NC teaching profession. It is quite lamentable for NC to even be in the same discussion with SC when it comes to education yet here we are.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It’s like the cycle of life. Out with the old coaches and in with the new coaches. Just like that elite group you highlighted, they were once new coaches and unknown.

Can’t coach forever!
Problem is many coaches from NC are opting to leave earlier than the retirement plateaus.

It is not only about the pay but often the teaching schedule or what is expected of the coach during school hours.

Why even stay past 15? Terrible.
Retirement. You're on the downhill run then. At 15 years, you've invested way too much time and are too comfortable in your life to walk away to start over again. They know this in management/administration and the legislature and they bank on it.

As I used to say in my time in state gov't-which is the same retirement system- "Too short to quit, too long to retire."

Reactions: AmosAlonzoStagg
Retirement. You're on the downhill run then. At 15 years, you've invested way too much time and are too comfortable in your life to walk away to start over again. They know this in management/administration and the legislature and they bank on it.

As I used to say in my time in state gov't-which is the same retirement system- "Too short to quit, too long to retire."
Oh yeah its not random that everytime NC raises teacher salaries it really only helps the new teachers. Lures them in and then traps them.

Look calling it down the middle. The Republican Party is to blame for the lack of teachers pay/resources/ect. All of the things we lost , masters pay, longevity, teacher fellows, insurance after you retire, were Republican lead. You can try and defend it but it is what it is. The Republicans want more private and charter schools because their lobbyists pay the republicans to want that. So say what you want the GOP is killing public education in NC and if you vote for them and you are as teacher/coach you are cutting your own throat.

Did you go 10 years in the middle to later part of your career without a pay raise?

Also the retirement system for teachers has drastically changed.

Look calling it down the middle. The Republican Party is to blame for the lack of teachers pay/resources/ect. All of the things we lost , masters pay, longevity, teacher fellows, insurance after you retire, were Republican lead. You can try and defend it but it is what it is. The Republicans want more private and charter schools because their lobbyists pay the republicans to want that. So say what you want the GOP is killing public education in NC and if you vote for them and you are as teacher/coach you are cutting your own throat.

They're also the ones that are spreading the boogeyman junk full of lies.

I had a teacher tell me once that his career in education was not a priority for him when voting. His wife was also a doctor so easy for some people to not care.

Last edited:
Did you go 10 years in the middle to later part of your career without a pay raise?

Also the retirement system for teachers has drastically changed.
I started out at what was called "the hiring rate" which is 5% below the rate posted for the position. I received step raises every 6 months for the first two years. I never got a step raise afterward. Got salary adjustments a couple of times that I can recall. Everything else was a COLA and or bonus. So yeah, I went 26 1/2 years without a "pay raise" as you call it. There were years when state employees got ZIP and teachers still got a COLA so you'll get no sympathy from me for your histrionics. I also didn't get a county supplement to my state pay which is the dirty little secret that teachers don't like to acknowledge when teacher pay averages are mentioned in the media.

The retirement system only changed for new hires two years ago. Those already in the system will have the exact same retirement plan and insurance that I have. I

I started out at what was called "the hiring rate" which is 5% below the rate posted for the position. I received step raises every 6 months for the first two years. I never got a step raise afterward. Got salary adjustments a couple of times that I can recall. Everything else was a COLA and or bonus. So yeah, I went 26 1/2 years without a "pay raise" as you call it. There were years when state employees got ZIP and teachers still got a COLA so you'll get no sympathy from me for your histrionics. I also didn't get a county supplement to my state pay which is the dirty little secret that teachers don't like to acknowledge when teacher pay averages are mentioned in the media.

The retirement system only changed for new hires two years ago. Those already in the system will have the exact same retirement plan and insurance that I have. I

Ask some of the mountain counties and far eastern counties about that "local supplement." Not everyone county offers one, or offers very little and it shouldn't be used to calculate average.

See you got you're retirement and you don't care that new teachers won't reap the luxury you got, and I'm sure you don't understand how damaging that is to recruiting new teachers.

County supplements is a dirty little secret? that's pretty funny. Teacher salaries are as pathetic with the supplements as they are without them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT