ADVERTISEMENT

The Final Weekly Western 1A Report for 2015!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
The Final Weekly Western Report for this season finds Four 1A teams remaining unbeaten(East Surry,East Wilkes,Pine Lake Prep & West Montgomery) as we head into the final week of the Regular Season...All 4 of those remaining unbeatens, will be challenged in their season finale, so let's take one final look at the 6 Western 1A Conferences:

YVC-9
---------
Unbeaten West Montgomery(10-0 & 7-0) registered their 3rd shutout of the season, beating(53-0) South Davidson(0-10 & 0-7) in Mt. Gilead...The win elevates the Warriors into a tie with East Montgomery(9-1 & 7-0) who was Idle last week...Meanwhile, North Stanly(7-3 & 5-2) playing without Antonio Williams, beat(30-14) South Stanly(3-7 & 3-4) to claim the outright Stanly County Championship, and seal a 3rd place finish in the YVC...In Monroe, the Union Academy Cardinals(3-7 & 3-4) beat Albemarle(2-8 & 2-5) for the first time(40-13), sending the Bulldogs to their 4th consecutive YVC defeat...In other YVC action last friday, North Moore(6-4 & 5-3) finished the season winning 4 of their last 5 games as the Mustangs galloped past(55-22) Chatham Central(0-10 & 0-7) in Bear Creek...

Looking Ahead: For the first time in the history of the YVC, the Little River Feud will take center stage on the final night of the Regular Season as Montgomery County foes East and West meet in Biscoe to determine which end of Montgomery County will hoist the 2015 YVC Trophy?....In Monroe, North Stanly will travel to face a Union Academy team that has won their last 2 YVC games.... Meanwhile Albemarle will close out perhaps their most disappointing season since moving down to the 1A classification in 1997 when they entertain South Stanly in the season finale...In Denton this friday, winless YVC foes South Davidson and Chatham Central will meet with the winner having the opportunity to end the season on a positive note...North Moore will be Idle this week, and well rested for the playoffs to come...,

SMC-7
----------
In Bryson City last friday, the Swain County Maroon Devils(7-3 & 5-0) got a big night from Sophomores Brodie Bowman and Keshawn Beaner as Swain broke a halftime deadlock(13-13) with rival Murphy(7-3 & 3-2) to beat(20-13) the Bulldogs, and remain tied atop the SMC Standings with Robbinsville(7-2 & 5-0)...The Black Knights survived a scare of their own in Cherokee, forcing and recovering a Braves' fumble at the 1yd line late in the 3rd quarter, while leading 13-7...The Black Knights finally subdued(27-7) the young, and talented Braves(3-7 & 0-5) to remain tied with Swain County for the top spot in the SMC...In other SMC action last week, Andrews(5-6 & 2-4) closed-out the Regular Season with their 2nd victory of the season in Hayesville(3-6 & 0-5), sending the Yellowjackets to their 6th consecutive loss, a streak that began when Andrews beat Hayesville, back on Sept 18th in Hayesville....Rosman(6-3 & 3-2) was Idle last week...

Looking Ahead: The SMC Schedule Changes this year could not have been scripted any better as the top 4 spots in the SMC will be determined on the field in the final week of the Regular Season....The Marquee matchup for all the SMC marbles will be determined at Historic Big Oaks Stadium as Swain County makes the trip to Graham County to face the Black Knights...Over at "The Hill" in Murphy, there will be a battle for 3rd place between the Bulldogs and the visiting Tigers from Rosman who will try to beat Murphy for the first time in 15 years....Down the road a piece in Clay County, Hayesville and Visiting Cherokee will play with the winner hoping to gain some momentum for the playoffs, while Andrews will be getting some much needed rest this week...

NWC-7
-----------
In Danbury last friday, East Surry(10- & 5-0) clinched at least a tie for the NWC Crown as the Cardinals recorded their 2nd NWC Shutout(49-0), beating North Stokes(5-5 & 2-3) ...Meanwhile over in Walkertown, the Wolfpack(5-5 & 4-1) got a big night from Sr. QB Ian McKnight and RB Marcus Adams, and the swarming Walkertown defense did the rest as Walkertown ambushed(35-7) the Granite Bears of Mount Airy(7-3 & 4-1) to record their first win over Mount Airy...In other NWC action, WS-Prep(4-6 & 2-4) finished thier first 1A Varsity Football Season in the NWC as the Phoenix overwhelmed(52-6) Atkins(0-10 & 0-5) in their season finale, and will now have 2 weeks to prepare for their first 1A Playoff experience...Bishop McGuinness(3-7 & 1-4) was Idle last week...

Looking Ahead: East Surry will put their NWC Title hopes and Unbeaten Season on the line this week when the Cardinals host rival Mount Airy in the NWC Game of the Week...A win by the Cardinals would earn them an undisputed NWC title and likely 1 of the top 4 seeds in the upcoming 1AA playoffs...A Mount Airy win would earn the Bears a piece of the NWC title with East Surry and Walkertown...Walkertown will travel to Kernersville to face Bishop McGuinness in hopes of a win, and will be rooting for a Mount Airy win as well...In other NWC action this friday, North Stokes will look to close the season on a positive note, and earn a home playoff game when the Vikings travel to Atkins for the regular season finale with the Camels...As mentioned above, WS-Prep will be Idle this week....

SPC-7
---------
For the first time since the SPC formed 3yrs ago, a team other than Bessemer City(3-7 & 2-3) and Cherryville(1-9 & 1-3) will win the SPC Title this year...Pine Lake Prep(10-0 & 5-0) kept their SPC Title hopes and unblemished season intact as the Pride shutdown(30-3) the Gryphons of Thomas Jefferson(7-2 & 3-2) in another stellar defensive effort by the Pride who have only allowed 52 Total Pts all season....Tied atop the SPC Standings with he Pride, is the Community School of Davidson(8-2 & 5-0) who also remained unbeaten in the SPC with a dominating(56-6) victory at Cherryville.. Over in Gastonia last friday, Bessemer City shutout Highland Tech(0-9 & 0-5) for the 2nd time this season, extending the Rams losing misery to 25 games overall..In SPC non-conference play last friday, Mountain Island Charter(5-5 & 1-4) earned their most impressive win(39-17) of the season with a victory over the Cannon School(5-5)...

Looking Ahead: The Undisputed Champion of the SPC will be determined this friday in Davidson in the SPC Game of the Week when Pine Lake Prep travels to face the Spartans of the CSOD...The two teams that have shared the last couple SPC Crowns, will meet in Bessemer City for the Regular Season final as Cherryville travels to face the Yellowjackets..In other SPC action, Highland Tech will finish their season at Thomas Jefferson....In an interesting non-conference matchup, Mountain Island Charter will close the season at home against Kestrel Heights who will be part of either the Eastern or Western 1A Playoffs....

1A/2A MVC-4
---------------------
Last friday in Ronda in front of a capacity crowd, Unbeaten East Wilkes(10-0 & 6-0) clinched their first conference football championship since 1995...The dramatic comeback win(24-21) over the Andrew Bynum led 2A Eagles from Wilkes Central(8-2 & 4-2) wasn't determined until a Cardinal FG in the final seconds of the memorable MVC Title showdown...Meanwhile, 1A Starmount(6-4 & 4-2) did themselves and East Wilkes a favor by stunning(16-6) 2A Ashe County(5-5 & 4-2) in West Jefferson, ending the Huskies MVC Title hopes in the process....In other MVC action, 1A Alleghany(3-7 & 2-4) likely clinched a playoff spot with a hard fought(8-0) win at Elkin(1-9 & 1-5)....In Hays, 2A West Wilkes(5-5 & 3-3) won their 3rd straight MVC game, beating(28-7) 2A North Wilkes(1-9 & 0-6) who has lost 8 games in a row since beating 2A South Stokes(33-21) in late August...

Looking Ahead: Having already clinched the 2015 MVC Title, East Wilkes will try to finish the season unbeaten for the first time since the 2A Cardinals accomplished that feat, back in 1981....The Cardinals can also claim the Wilkes County Championship this week when they travel to Millers Creek to face improving 2A West Wilkes...1A foes Starmount and Alleghany County will close the regular season in Boonville, while 1A Elkin will travel to 2A Ashe County for the season finale....2A Wilkes Central will host 2A North Wilkes in Wilkesboro on Senior Night for the 2A Eagles...

1A/2A WHC-2
-------------------
The Race for the 2015 WHC Title continued last week for 1A Mitchell County(9-1 & 4-1), 2A Mountain Heritage(8-2 & 4-1) and Idle 2A Hendersonville(5-5 & 4-1)...1A Mitchell took out their frustrations of losing in Burnsville the week before to the 2A Cougars by shellacking(63-0) 2A Madison County(2-8 & 2-3)...2A Mountain Heritage also flexed their offensive muscle last friday with a dominating(68-30) win over 1A Avery County(1-9 & 0-5)....Meanwhile, 2A Polk County(5-5 & 3-2) ended 2A Owen's (1-9 & 1-5) dismal season with a 41-20 WHC victory in Black Mountain...

Looking Ahead: Hendersonville will try to secure a piece of this year's WHC Title when the Bearcats travel to face 2A rival Polk County in the WHC Game of the Week....1A WHC foes Avery and Mitchell County who are at opposite ends of the WHC Standings will finish the season in Spruce Pine, while 2A Mountain Heritage will make the short trip to Marshall to face 2A Madison County...2A Owen's season is likely complete with the Warhorses missing the playoffs for the first time in several years?....

I hope fansl of all the Western 1A teams have enjoyed the recap and happenings that I've detailed in the the Weekly Western 1A Reports, and Wish ALL the Western 1A teams good luck in the upcoming playoffs.....

As usual, Corrections, Comments and Opinions are always welcome!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
great job! again lots of work to gather all the info and then write it up...gotta love it! .....looks like a road trip in the 1st round and that hasn't happened in many years....

Reactions: Realfreedom
Rick, I always enjoy your reports, especially when you make me remember things I haven't thought about for getting on towards 40 years (like the '75 Swain-Rosman game... I was probably there, but had forgotten the fight! :) ) Keep up the good work, and give us more history. That stuff is gold.

Thanks!! Rick has been here a long time and knows his 1A football!!

Rick,

Bessemer City beat Highland Tech 48-0 Friday night.

Thanks for these write ups each week!

~a Jacketfan

Thanks for the correction, I've edited the orginal post!

I would also like to thank all of you for making this the best High School Web site in the state, and one of the best in the country...

What I do here each week is peanuts compared to the work put in each day and week by Deana and her staff at NCPreps...Most everything that I put together each week is ONLY possible because of the dedication and effort that the staff of NCPreps. com provide, along with tidbits of information that fans like yourself are willing to share with folks like me....

We as High School Football fans are really very fortunate to have folks in charge of this website that love this game as much or more than we do....

To answer bareman's remarks above, it does take some time to put this Report together each week, but it's a labor of love for me that goes all the way back to when I was a teenager in High School....I could not stand NOT knowing what was going on with other teams in other conferences around the state, so I would get a list of all the conferences in the state from the Preseason Prep Preview that was provided by the Asheville Citizen-Times back in those days, and then I would get a paper each Sunday when all the state scores were listed, and painstakingly keep up with the conferences, so I would know who would qualify for the playoffs, and where teams would play....For years until computers and Websites like this made things easier, it was something that I enjoyed doing because I hated the fact that I and others didn't know what was really happening outside WNC until the playoffs started....

When I first located this Website back at the turn of the new Millienum...I first went to the NCHSAA website, and copied every state championship bracket since 1972, and have continued to do that....I have personally filled-out every bracket for each classification since 2001 when the NCHSAA first subdivided the 1A class with other classifications following suit thereafterwards...

High School Football first became important too me when I was 10 years old because that is the time when Rosman finally starting playing games in Rosman instead of Brevard, back in 1968...I remember that first home game against Bakersfield because my step father at the time hated any sport other than Boxing and Wrestling(NWA-lol!), and that night he was working the graveyard shift when the game began....He apparently went to the bathroom, and heard all the noise out in town, and came out of the bathroom, and said "What in the @#&% is all that noise out in town, and my mother said, "Oh, they got a ballgame tonight, and are playing football in Rosman now"...To which, my stepfather said, "People have got to work around here, can they not play the game earlier in the day?"

I was hooked on Rosman High School Football from that very night, and have always followed the Tigers and NC High School Football, even when I was away from this little piece of heaven in Transylvania County to serve my country, and later attend college...

Again thanks for the kind words, and thanks for correcting my mistakes because my goal is, and always has been to get the information on teams correct, so we all can know what's actually going on with the teams and the game we love...

Back to the topic!

Roar Tigers Roar!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT