ADVERTISEMENT

Surry/Stokes/Wilkes/Alleghany/Yadkin

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Just for fun. The best team ever from each programs from the Counties above. Correct me if i am wrong. And i might need help with North Stokes, South Stokes, Alleghany, and Surry Central.

Surry County
1. East Surry 2019 1AA State Champions
2. North Surry 1986 with a 7-4 record and Kelly Holder was QB. They played in a tough Conference with programs like Statesville and Iredell County teams.
3. Elkin 2003 in this lifetime, but i wasn't around when they won it 1963. State Champs
4. Surry Central ?
5.MT Airy could 2023 be the best team ever? Time will tell on that. In 1981 and 1982 MA was 3A made it to the Semi finals when they had James Brim. Right now i am going to say 1982 was MA best.

Stokes County
1. West Stokes 2011 2AA State Champions
2.North Stokes ?
3. South Stokes?

Wilkes County
1. Wilkes Central 2007 in my opinion in this life time. They won Western Regionals in 1962, but wasn't around.
2. East Wilkes 2015
3. West Wilkes 2001
4. North Wilkes 2013

Alleghany ?

Yadkin County
1. Forbush either 1992 or 2004.
2. Starmount they won it 1A in 1998, but not the best Starmount team ever. They had a some deep runs in the playoffs in class 2A 1989, 1990, 1996. Just my opinion 1990 was the best Starmount team ever.

Any difference of an opinion?

I'll do my nomination for the best N Surry team in another post.. 1986 is a solid contender though.

As for your answer on the ? marks here's my nominees:

Surry Central's best team would be their 1965 team that won the state title in the region era. Howard Hayes was the head coach, he left not long after and went to the piedmont and ended up at Denton/S Davidson. They were a very out of nowhere squad.. didn't have a winning record in the program history until that season. Their biggest win in the season was beating East Surry for the first time in a down year (we did too for the first time,) and they tied us at 6-6 when we were beat up. Playoffs they got opportunistic and pulled out two upset wins for that title. The 2016 team reminds me a ton of them.. very similar luck in the season and playoffs.

North Stokes's best team would be imo the 2007 squad under Sessoms. They went 8-5 and made the 2nd round in small 1A. Opened the year going all the way to Cape Hattaras and got a shutout which never happened much. Choked in a thriller vs West Stokes in a game they coulda won, but they then rebounded to a solid 4 in a row with wins over Elkin, East Wilkes, South, and Alleghany. The South game was WXII's game of the week, I think the only time they won one of those. The Elkin win was huge as they humiliated them for years, Elkin crashed to earth that year. Then they scored 26 on a very good MA team and about beat a good East Surry team in OT. Beat Bishop in the first round, but they choked a winnable game vs East Wilkes in the 2nd round. EW made the third round after a 3 win season.. insane.

South's best team would be either 1971 or 1974. They won the NW 3A both years out of nowhere in upsets but they were quietly solid squads. I'd go with 1974. 1974 especially that was the team Bill Murrell played on I believe he went pro. South knocked off Forbush in 1970 as they were conference champs that year, and Elkin in 1974. We beat South in 1972 to win the conference that year. NW 3A was very eclectic back then. If they hadn't let down in that first round game I'd say the 2012 team. That team was good.. wouldn't call them one of the best I seen as we beat them after all, but they were solid. Frasher did a good job building them up, he just let them slip off the rails late when they were close to being truly good. Playoff system being so wacky didn't help either. That was a 2nd round matchup they got first vs East Surry.

Do agree with the 2014 team for Alleghany. Sessoms did an amazing job with that senior class that year and 2013. They underperformed that year but 2014 team was legitly good. They got hot at the right time for sure but they were fun to watch. Robbinsville was a machine but Alleghany deserved that runner's up spot. 2014 was probably one of the best years for the Mountain Valley. Starmount was 1AA runner up, Alleghany 1A west runner up, Elkin won a share of the conference (choked in the 1st round to prevent a Elkin/Alleghany rematch,) and Ashe made the 2nd round first year in the air raid (beat Maiden which is a huge + for a program.)

As your picks I mostly agree I have a few I'd go differently with:

-MA's best team would be 2008 just do to their #'s. 1982 was a solid though I agree they played that Brevard team really hard. That game coulda went either way.

-Def agree on that 2003 Elkin team. 1967 team was very solid and they beat us in that title game but that Elkin 2003 team was insane. They beat Salisbury with Joe Pinyan and walloped MA and East. If they'd had a 3A or 4A in non conference I think that team woulda hung with them if not won.

-Forbush I'd go with 1992 over 1970.. they were conference champions both years. 1992's was more crushing as they dominated everyone in the NW that year. Starmount was down in a rare year and MA was on the verge of being solid (split conference the previous year,) so for Bush to crush them was big. They were an option team then and they ran it as good as I've seen on tape. Then their HC left and they lost their edge. 2004 wasn't bad but they underpeformed when it mattered. Hibriten crushed them easily and we beat them for a half before we started getting banged up. They lost the 2nd round in a game they coulda potentially won. If they hadn't had forced Johnson out I think either of those teams in 2021 Spring or 2021 fall coulda been truly great. They were good but they never lived up to that hype they had. That Surry Central upset in Fall 2021 was brutal for them, they got beat at their own game and they never overcame it.

-MA's best team would be 2008 just do to their #'s. 1982 was a solid though I agree they played that Brevard team really hard. That game coulda went either way.

-Def agree on that 2003 Elkin team. 1967 team was very solid and they beat us in that title game but that Elkin 2003 team was insane. They beat Salisbury with Joe Pinyan and walloped MA and East. If they'd had a 3A or 4A in non conference I think that team woulda hung with them if not won.

-Forbush I'd go with 1992 over 1970.. they were conference champions both years. 1992's was more crushing as they dominated everyone in the NW that year. Starmount was down in a rare year and MA was on the verge of being solid (split conference the previous year,) so for Bush to crush them was big. They were an option team then and they ran it as good as I've seen on tape. Then their HC left and they lost their edge. 2004 wasn't bad but they underpeformed when it mattered. Hibriten crushed them easily and we beat them for a half before we started getting banged up. They lost the 2nd round in a game they coulda potentially won. If they hadn't had forced Johnson out I think either of those teams in 2021 Spring or 2021 fall coulda been truly great. They were good but they never lived up to that hype they had. That Surry Central upset in Fall 2021 was brutal for them, they got beat at their own game and they never overcame it.
As always a great newspaper-quality write-up by Slasher Killer. Just wanted to add that Mount Airy averaged right at 53 points per game in winning that 2008 State Championship.

Last edited:
I'll do my nomination for the best N Surry team in another post.. 1986 is a solid contender though.

As for your answer on the ? marks here's my nominees:

Surry Central's best team would be their 1965 team that won the state title in the region era. Howard Hayes was the head coach, he left not long after and went to the piedmont and ended up at Denton/S Davidson. They were a very out of nowhere squad.. didn't have a winning record in the program history until that season. Their biggest win in the season was beating East Surry for the first time in a down year (we did too for the first time,) and they tied us at 6-6 when we were beat up. Playoffs they got opportunistic and pulled out two upset wins for that title. The 2016 team reminds me a ton of them.. very similar luck in the season and playoffs.

North Stokes's best team would be imo the 2007 squad under Sessoms. They went 8-5 and made the 2nd round in small 1A. Opened the year going all the way to Cape Hattaras and got a shutout which never happened much. Choked in a thriller vs West Stokes in a game they coulda won, but they then rebounded to a solid 4 in a row with wins over Elkin, East Wilkes, South, and Alleghany. The South game was WXII's game of the week, I think the only time they won one of those. The Elkin win was huge as they humiliated them for years, Elkin crashed to earth that year. Then they scored 26 on a very good MA team and about beat a good East Surry team in OT. Beat Bishop in the first round, but they choked a winnable game vs East Wilkes in the 2nd round. EW made the third round after a 3 win season.. insane.

South's best team would be either 1971 or 1974. They won the NW 3A both years out of nowhere in upsets but they were quietly solid squads. I'd go with 1974. 1974 especially that was the team Bill Murrell played on I believe he went pro. South knocked off Forbush in 1970 as they were conference champs that year, and Elkin in 1974. We beat South in 1972 to win the conference that year. NW 3A was very eclectic back then. If they hadn't let down in that first round game I'd say the 2012 team. That team was good.. wouldn't call them one of the best I seen as we beat them after all, but they were solid. Frasher did a good job building them up, he just let them slip off the rails late when they were close to being truly good. Playoff system being so wacky didn't help either. That was a 2nd round matchup they got first vs East Surry.

Do agree with the 2014 team for Alleghany. Sessoms did an amazing job with that senior class that year and 2013. They underperformed that year but 2014 team was legitly good. They got hot at the right time for sure but they were fun to watch. Robbinsville was a machine but Alleghany deserved that runner's up spot. 2014 was probably one of the best years for the Mountain Valley. Starmount was 1AA runner up, Alleghany 1A west runner up, Elkin won a share of the conference (choked in the 1st round to prevent a Elkin/Alleghany rematch,) and Ashe made the 2nd round first year in the air raid (beat Maiden which is a huge + for a program.)
Didn’t Sessoms move to the coast area to coach? If so do you know how he is doing?

Didn’t Sessoms move to the coast area to coach? If so do you know how he is doing?
He is head baseball coach and assistant Football coach at Wallace Rose Hill. Agreed that 2014 Trojans team was best Alleghany team. Frank got the most out of his teams there and we were in a lot of games that normally would be blow outs when he coached us. Wilkes central games especially.

Starmount had some great teams:

1996 - 13-2 lost 13-7 to Bandys on half-foot line in the 2A West Finals. Three Shrine Bowl selections on that team. Played great offense, defense, and special teams. Donnie Bryant, Shawn Adams, DJ Brumfield, Rodney Bates all key members.

1990 - 12-2 lost 7-3 to Thomasville in 2A West Finals. Carlos King, Campy Walker, Blake Chipman, Stephen King all key members.

Those two standout to me but I’m sure everyone has their own opinions.

I kind of agree with you on the Elkin team. Although my dad says the 67 team was the best team ever around these parts. Even today although we're probably not compared to apples to apples. They were three a back then and I think it was the old western association. Let's see he says and I think this is right on that team you had. Rick calloway who started at Carolina. Bud Grissom and Richard Grissom who also started at Carolina. John Anderson who started at Carolina. Dean Hall who started at South Carolina. And Holthouser who started at Wake Forest. He went to school at Wilkes Central so I guess he knows what he's talking about :). I believe there was another one Jody Anthony who started at Gardner-Web. And then the Charles guy who started at Lenoir-Rhyne. I'm not sure I've ever seen a high school team outside of the Florida schools that have had that many people go division one and that many people play college football. There may be others on that team. Lyles may know more.

Never saw the early '40s and '50s teams or the '60s team at Mount airy but that '08 team would be hard to beat. This past year's team and this year's team may be as talented and better.

Deanna what about the late '80s starmount teams. They had a ton of talent didn't they. Billups and Walker and Jenkins and King not to mention there was a lineman that started at South Carolina right.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I said that there were so many. The guys you mentioned were on some really good teams. 1989 team was the team to break the 2nd round jinx and made it to the 2A West Finals. We beat Charlotte Catholic pretty badly.

Web Brown went to SC and graduated in 2002 at SHS.

I said that there were so many. The guys you mentioned were on some really good teams. 1989 team was the team to break the 2nd round jinx and made it to the 2A West Finals. We beat Charlotte Catholic pretty badly.

Web Brown went to SC and graduated in 2002 at SHS.
Didn't they win the 2A State Championship in the late 1900s or early 2000? I listened to it on the radio, 100.9 whichever year it was.

In one of Mount Airy's down years, they got beat by a team that had never beaten them before and this has not happened since. The year was 1995 I am thinking. Anyone know who it was ?

Didn’t Starmount make a good run one year and made it the State finals. I think it was around ‘14 or so.

That 95 North Stokes team was almost my pick but they were just a one off team, Sessoms had a solid 3 year run there from 2005-2007 where they were consistently good. Also considered that 2005 team. They were the last team that beat West Stokes. 2007 just had more consistency.

The 1995 team got Kirk Martin as the HC because we botched up and hired Roy Carter that year from NW Ashe. Kirk left as he was angry as he was Setzer's preferred follow up, He took our best LB and he went on to beat MA, win in the first round and played a good Jordan Matthews team that next round. He got 1A coach of the year and took our job the next year because Carter quit with 4 or 5 days left before the season started. Waste of potential that season was but it was cool what he did for N Stokes. The work he put in helped Sessoms come in and have a winning year in 2000 and keep the job.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Good guess, not East Wilkes. This team has been in the NWC since the 1960s.
East Wilkes may have never beat MA that I can remember.

Made me curious so I looked through the google archive for you.. EW has beat MA 3 times. 1998 when Eddie Cobb was in his last year, 1999 in Holder's first year, and that very good 2004 team they had beat MA in a thriller. 1999 game was interesting.. East was averaging a ton of points in that pass happy offense they had an MA limited them to 20. Major + in a transition year for them.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Alleghany 2014
Surry Central 1965
North Stokes 1995
South Stokes 1974
Forbush 1992

This is about as close as it gets

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT